LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » herniated discs in neck

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: herniated discs in neck
valymemom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For over 10 years now my friend has experienced so many of the symptoms that match those on our thorough lyme/co lists. For the past two years I have been encouraging her to see an llmd. (If she hadn't quit work years ago she would be on disablity.)

She is in severe pain with disc problems. I think these are directly related to lyme and would love to forward her the words of others who have experienced disc problems with/during lyme.

Can anyone address this. I did a search of "disc problems" and did not get much.

Posts: 1240 | From Centreville,VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Valymemom

I have had disc problems with lyme for years.
My very first lyme symptom 20 years ago was pain in my neck. I herniated my disc in my back 5 years ago and still have bulging discs that could blow at any time [Eek!]

It is listed in most lyme symptoms-(herniated disc's) Since lyme attacked the CNS this is a logical leap.

And since lyme attacks the joints and tendons this is also very logical that it would go after the joints & disc's in the neck & back also.

I personally know many lyme patients with chronic neck/back problems.

Does she have any other lyme or co-infection symptoms?

Can she get tested thru igenex? & then maybe she can have her results looked over by your LLMD if possible?

You can pm me anytime.

p.s. I just googled lyme herniated discs and got 107,000 hits

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucy96734
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucy96734     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have severe degeneration in my lumbar and cervical spine. The ortho said that I had the spine of an 80 year old (at the time I was 33) he asked if I had been into gymnastics, football, or other contact sports. No!

He, the rheumie, or the neuro could never figure out why my spine was falling apart. I now know it was due to Lyme.

I was in pain management and physical therapy for years and barely getting by. I am amazed what treatment for Lyme and Pilates have done for my quality of life.

PM me if your friend wants any information. I never would have thought there was hope beyond the pain I was in, there was. I have my life back. I won't be running any marathons but I am working and walking on the beach and happy [Smile] and off pain meds [Smile]

edit to add I was in a bad way and undxed for 5 years. It started as just lumar problems and spread to my cervical spine.

--------------------
Lucy

Posts: 342 | From Hawaii | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imanurse
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for imanurse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many many people have disc problems in their spine and they are not always associated with Lyme disease. However, I do believe that Lyme can make disc issues worse.

Some people just have degenerating disc disease or have injured their dics over time with repetive motions.

I had herniated discs and bulging ones in lower spine due to my nursing career - lifting lots of patients. My damage started when a 300 pound woman on a cardiac floor passed out and I (brand new student) thought I should try to break her fall.

After I broke my back in a MVA in 1995 my disc problems worsened.

--------------------
**Eat Chocolate**

Posts: 942 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DanP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7501

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DanP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two years ago I almost had surgery on a herniated lumbar disc. My brother the osteopath said it was a mistake because the other symptoms I had didn't point to the disc as the reason for my pain.

Instead I was treated by a LLMD, took herbal remedies and other natural therapies including massage, acupuncture and osteopathic manipulation and I'm much better.

The best result was achieved just this past weekend when my very knowledgeable personal trainer who has her own back issues showed me a massage technique she uses on herself - the pain is gone!

DanP

Posts: 277 | From NY | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valymemom
Member # 7076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for responding. My friend has back pain, foot problems, insomnia, gerd, kidney problems, needs knee replacement and has been diagnosed with chronic fatigue.....now discs herniated. I thought I read there was a connection to lyme.

Over the past 2 years I have sent her Dr. B.'s guidelines, the ABC lyme booklet, a paper/study on chronic fatigue and lyme connection written by a local physician and she has followed the lives of the three being treated in my family.

Do I send her yet these posts????

She has never asked a question or responded to any of literature.

She did say her rheumie tested her for lyme and it was negative. (I explained the problems with testing and the importance of clinical diagnosis.)

My husband says I need to stop sending her information.

Posts: 1240 | From Centreville,VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imanurse
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for imanurse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by imanurse:

Some people just have degenerating disc disease or have injured their dics over time with repetive motions.

- Oh My Goodness! I just realized what I wrote above! I meant to say "injured their DISCS" not **** !!!

Oops!
Also wanted to add that my back issues rarely bother me any more since being on antibiotics - but am also not doing the heavy lifting. go figure.

--------------------
**Eat Chocolate**

Posts: 942 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymies3
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymies3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can only partially agree with some of your statements. Not all of us acquire degenerative athritis due to age and I do agree that Lyme exacerbates it all.

I showed with Arthritis at age 22. At age 34 vertebrae in my spine began fusing all by itself of a degenerative nature. Every single doc agreed that I shouldn't have such a level of degeneration at those ages. Even now, the only area of my spine that isn't affected is between T9 and L2. It appears other autofusions are in progress as well.

Fwiw, I was positive for Babs and negative for LD. LLMD dx'd me with sero-negative LD.

quote:
Originally posted by imanurse:
Many many people have disc problems in their spine and they are not always associated with Lyme disease. However, I do believe that Lyme can make disc issues worse.

--------------------
Toodles,
Sal

Posts: 195 | From Tampa, FL | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
valymemom,

I think if this was my friend I would talk to either her husband or children -- maybe another family member could talk her into getting tested. Think she needs to hear from someone else besides you about the possibility of lyme. If that doesn't work, then I think you have probably done all you can do.

I know how frustrating it is to see friends and family who believe everything a doc tells them. Hubby's father had a couple of small strokes while we were traveling -- even with brain fog hubby could tell his dad was not himself from phone conversations and emails.

It was a couple of years before his dad finally got an MRI. His doc told him that he had had a couple of strokes in a part of his brain he didn't use very much -- yea right!!! Anyway, hubby can't convince his dad to even take some basic supplements such as good fats (doc has him on a low fat diet).

For all those with Lyme and disc problems, if you want to try something herbal that is supposed to help with both things -- buy some mullein.

I have been researching herbs a lot lately as hubby can't take antibiotics right now with gastritis, duodentitis and gastric ulcers.

Read about this supplement here.

http://www.herbcraft.org/mullein.html

I bought an alcohol free tincture of mullein leaf from

http://www.naturesanswer.com

Have not tried this yet so have no idea if it works. Hubby has taken silica before which is the primary nutrient in horsetail -- often suggested for bone health. Goldenseal is good for G.I. issues including parasites, yeast and possibly the cystic form of Lyme. Have never taken Solomon's Seal and haven't had a chance to research that yet.

Definitely plan to try the mullein at least as hubby has been having problems with his shoulders for a couple of months now -- he either has a sublaxation or a slight dislocation of his shoulder -- so far chiropractic seems to either not be helping or actually making things worse.

If anyone gives this combo or the mullein by itself a try, please post your experiences.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pegee4
Member # 9869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pegee4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for disc problems in the neck, I have them too. I do regular strength training, which helps with the problem and also with lyme symptoms! I wonder though, since those with us with lyme seem to have magnesium deficiencies, would'nt we have a more difficult time with the absorption of needed calcium to prevent these disc problems ?? The body needs magnesium as well as vitamin D to absorb calcium. any thoughts on this????

--------------------
To win this battle, make the time for exercise and fitness activities! There is no shortcut to any place worth going! pegee4

Posts: 59 | From Hamptons, New York | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. Heffez, Neurosurgeon

Cervical stenosis is a condition characterized by a narrow spine. This can result in the compression of the spinal cord. Compression of the spinal cord is the most common cause of spinal cord dysfunction which is called cervical myelopathy. Cervical stenosis may be congenital, meaning that you are born with a narrow spine, or it may be acquired and result from heriation of a disc or the development of a bone spur. Frequently it is a combination of a congenital and an acquired problem.

Symptoms
Cervical stenosis only causes symptoms if it causes compression of the nerve roots or spinal cord. If so, the patient is said to have radiculopathy (compression of a nerve) or myelopathy (compression of the spinal cord). The symptoms of radiculopathy are limited to one arm and consist of pain, weakness or numbness. The symptoms of myelopathy are much more diffuse and can be quite confusing. The first step to diagnosing myelopathy is to think of it. Patients with this condition may complain of headache which may be confused with migraine. They also complain of nausea, vomiting, dizziness, vertigo, sensitivity to sound, light, and smells, widespread pain, weakness, clumsiness, balance problems, difficulty with memory and concentration, urinary urgency and frequency, disturbances in bowel habits, and fatigue.

Posts: 789 | From CT, | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
8man12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7664

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 8man12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same boat here.I had to have L5-s1 removed,,then now i have c-6 in my neck herniated.The last operation,,they filled me full of steriod shots when they were stapleing me up.It nearly killed me within the next 2 months.SO if you get operated on tell them not to shoot steriods in you.
Posts: 510 | From NEVERLAND.USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Valy, count me in the herniating disc group. I have bulging discs in every area of my spine. My neck is the worst (on the MRIs and films).

Until I figured out I had Lyme last December, I blamed my spinal problems on a chronic/reactivated Epstein Barr Virus problem. EBV alone can wreak havoc with the spine, and if you have Lyme on top of it, I think it is a double-whammy.

I think I agree with your husband. Maybe it is time to step back and see if the any of the seeds you have planted with your friend start to grow. It took me a year to decide to get tested for Lyme once it was brought to my attention, and for some people, it takes a lot longer. We have to be READY to find out the truth.

Tracy
P.S. Way to go Imanurse..... [lol]

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement