LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » My hair is falling out!!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My hair is falling out!!!!
KP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9488

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this a typical symptom of abx? I'm on Rocephin (2 weeks) and Azithromycin (5 weeks).

It's quite disgusting to find so much hair in the drain after a shower...but then I comb my wet hair and even more comes out! I'm thinking I should go get it cut short but at my age it will take years to grow it out again!

If this isn't a medication symptom, is it a lyme symptom? All my thyroid blood work has been normal so I don't think it's related to that.

Karen

Posts: 154 | From Medford, NJ | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemomtooo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemomtooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish I knew the answer..My daughter has lost so much hair..But I know lyme can affect the hair and my daughter also has uncontrolled blood sugars which can also damage the hair..

And was just disgnosed via a spect scan of much hypoperfusion in the brain..So guessing reduced blood flow to the brain may be a big reason also.

Good luck..And if you find some answers, please pm me. thanks lymemomtooo

Posts: 2360 | From SE PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBD-PA
Member # 9790

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBD-PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi! Hair loss and Lyme, think about thyroid status (might be low in T3-- happens alot with TBDs), low mineral levels, especially ZINC (maybe get a blood/serum level for Zinc, then start 30-60mg of zinc a day), also vasculitis may cause it. there are afew other reasons, but these are the 'top 3'

Good luck!

A

Posts: 7 | From Long Island | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vachick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vachick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting. Mine is falling out in handfuls from the root!!! I have no idea what could be going on since I am not on abx right now. ugh.
Posts: 331 | From virginia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine too. I go thru stadges of hair loss. I am in one now.

Every time I shower - handfuls of hair come out- hair all over the place.

I am not on abx right now . I really wish I knew why this happens. It's s#cks

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If at all possible, find a good progesterone cream. My daughter has been using a scalp treatment with TX Blockers along with a progesterone cream and her hair has stopped falling out. It's due to our whacked out endocrine system.

Kelly

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hair loss is a pretty common Lyme symptom, I think, but it really is a distressing one.

When I first started Lyme treatment, my hair was coming out at an alarming rate.

I wasn't sure what to do, but I tracked my symptoms each night with a printable chart I got here:

http://www.lymepa.org/html/ldasepa_useful_information.html

Hair loss was one of the many Lyme symptoms listed on this chart.

After being on antibiotics for about 5 months, I noticed a slowing in the rate I was losing my hair. After a year, my hair was back again and full.

Hope this gives you some encouragement!

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9488

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not really freaking out other than wondering what is causing it. After each pregnancy, I had alot of hair loss and ended up having my hair cut really short. I've been really tempted to do that again except at age 38, it may never grow this long again!! It's also become curly in the past few years...if I cut it short, it might go back to straight again!

I'm going for a trim tomorrow. Maybe a good scalp scrub will stimulate new growth! I can't do that with my PICC line in.

Posts: 154 | From Medford, NJ | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have a lot of hair loss after pregnancy because you have had 400mg of progesterone a day to hold in the hair. After birth, estrogen shoots up and hair falls out.

As the disease decreases, everything should start leveling out. But, until then there is help.

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The lyme caused my eyelashes and eyebrows to fall out for awhile. With treatment they stopped falling out and they grew back. I had lost alot of em... the top eyelashes was very thin and the bottoms were gone...

So with treatment if its from lyme it should grow back fine.

Best wishes

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI all
I had hair loss to --after a few months
of good treatment my hair has grown back-Jay-

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kp
check lab report to thyroid test(s).
if tsh is within normal range, no further testing of thyroid function will be done unless specifically ordered by the doc.

with me, my tsh was normal, t3 low, t4 high, and tb__? was high. for the sometime before, during and after the test the most lower left hand side of my neck over the location of the my throid gland was warm, and quite warm; additionally, i could feel a vibrative sensation.
for years, i was conscious of the presence of this area of my neck, and this extended upward on the left hand side of my neck, the sensatrion diminishing as i went up the neck.
absolutely no such sensation on the right side of the neck.

i had hair loss from eye brows, and scalp, as well.

Dr. B. referred to inflammation, and receptor blockade of some kind, relating to lyme.

past tx guidlines by Dr. B. for lyme stated that low t3, and high t4 levels seem to befit the effect of borrelia on the thyroid. tacit assumption being previously healthy person.

i forget the exact tests descriptions for the thyroid panel when one has lyme, but they're somewhere on this site.

can someone please fill in the "blanks" on the thyroid hormone tests suggested when on has lyme/tbds? thanx.

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LostCityAgent
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KP,
I am sorry to hear about the hair loss. In all of my studies I have never read that hair loss can occur as a direct response to LD on any plain.
However, you may want to speak to your physician about drug selections and possible severe side effects.
This could be age related hair loss which can occur as well in women, or, it may be a strange presentation of LD which as we have all seen can happen. It is non-specific and very unpredictable.

Good Luck!
Jmcc.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DolphinLady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DolphinLady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This symptom has improved dramatically for me with continued lyme and coinfection tx.
Posts: 925 | From California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9488

quote:
The physician who made your body, is the physician that heals your body.
Other things in between, just help!

LOSTCITY - I like that quote!!!

I am going to ask my doc to check my thyroid numbers again. They have been very normal and steady but I do know I have a nodule on my thyroid. An ultrasound is scheduled next week though they only found it by accident when checking other Lyme related problems! I don't have any typical thyroid symptoms.

I really think the hair loss is related to the meds because it has just gotten bad in the past week or so and I've only been on the IV for 2 1/2 weeks. Maybe it's the spirochetes leaving via the scalp!

Karen

tic chick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tic chick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been slowly losing my hair over the past year.

I do not have a thyroid anymore as had 3cm finding of papillary cancer inside a nodule and had to have a thyroidectomy in 2005. Taking Synthroid to supplement.

Was dxs with Neuro Lyme last week and believe this disease has caused both of these problems, minus the cancer but, yah never know. [Wink]

Evening Primrose supplements have been shown to help with the hair loss.

Blessings,
Tic

--------------------
Adversity is the diamond dust heaven polishes it's jewels with. � Robert Leighton

Daily world-wide prayers welcome for the Lyme Community - every day at 6:00 p.m. Pacific Time and 9:00 p.m. Eastern Time � all faiths welcome!

Posts: 309 | From S.E. Mass | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LostCityAgent
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ladies,
I am very sorry to hear of the hair loss problems. This is by far, unacceptable, and tragic.
I am very sorry and I hope that it gets better for you. I know, awful sequences cause by LD, personally.

Good Luck!
Jmcc.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi folks,

There was a recent thread on another website about the benefits of coconut oil and regaining hair was one of the benefits. The oil is supposed to be very beneficial to the thyroid.

There also was a recent thread here at lymenet about the anti-fungal and anti-bacterial benefits too. Many have used it to treat their yeast issues.

Most people say 4 tbsps a day. Even though it is high in calories, reports say it will balance your weight and even help lose weight due to its enhancement of the thyroid.

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a steroidal shampoo that my dermatologist suggested. It works to a degree, but at times I do have considerable hair loss... It's a bit on the pricey side as well, but there are rebate coupons that my doctor gave me that cushioned the blow.

--------------------
Sometimes when I say �Oh, I�m fine� I want someone to look me in the eyes & say �tell the truth�

Myspace: http://tinyurl.com/5p64ed

Posts: 644 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement