LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Who is getting a flu shot this year?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who is getting a flu shot this year?
national catastrophe
Member # 10011

Icon 1 posted      Profile for national catastrophe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard several trains of thought...

1 - If I don't have a flu shot I may get the flu, a higher temp and some of the spirochetes may die plus I may lose weight.

2 - If I don't get a flu shot I may get really sick & die from pneumonia.

3 - One LLMD gives half the flu shot on one visit and the second half on the next visit so the Lyme patient doesn't get sick.

4 - I don't trust the flu shot makers.

What do you think?

Posts: 57 | From the middle of a pandemic | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by national catastrophe:

4 - I don't trust the flu shot makers.

ME EITHER! I will not get a flu shot. Where's Lisianthus with her flu shot ingredients list?

Thimerasol...is mercury. Thimerasol is in the vaccines. I've had plenty of that in my system already.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minimonkey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minimonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vaccines of any kind scare me, and I avoid them unless they are absolutely necessary -- too many possible complications and unknown factors. I've felt this way long before I was dx'ed with Lyme....

Personally, I'll take my chances with the flu.

--------------------
"Looks like freedom but it feels like death..
It's something in between, I guess"

Leonard Cohen, from the song "Closing Time"

Posts: 822 | From California | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micul
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for micul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're bad news! My parents have been getting them for years and they get sicker every year. Alzheimers is linked to these things also. My mom finally listened to me last year and didn't get one inspite of what her Dr and most other people told her. Well, she didn't get sick for one day! Best year she has had since starting those damn things.

--------------------
You're only a failure when you stop trying.

Posts: 945 | From U.S | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clpgotlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clpgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I'm the only pro-flu shot person here! Every time I get the flu I end up with Pneumonia or a severe sinus/bronchial infection and am sidelined for at least 2 weeks. I have never had a reaction to a flu shot, so I'll stick with it!
Cindy

--------------------
Cindy

Posts: 227 | From VA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MagicAcorn
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MagicAcorn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since the last pandemic hit my own family hard. My mother lost her three little brothers to influenzia.

We also have a family home upstate and on our property is another gravestone marker for a family of five wiped out in the same pandemic.

No thank you. We haven't had a pandemic like that in 70+ years, but it is bound to happen again.
40 million lives were lost between 1918 - 1928.

I'll take the shot over death by pandemic anyday.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1279 | From In hiding | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just at the pharmacy today and they had a flyer that said you should not get the flu shot if

- you are on antibotics
- have an active infection
- are allergic to eggs

and a few other things I cant remember.

I never got one never will. BUT it is not even an option for me cuz I am allergic to eggs.

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW, my LLNP recommended I have the flu shot last year, (I was on abx at the time), and I had no problems. I've gotten flu shots many time before that (Before Lyme) w/o problems.

Already had my shot for this year.

I suffered from "asthma" and didn't want to compromise my lungs. Funny thing is, after years of having lung problems, the last year of abx seems to have also cured my lung problems. I rarely every have to use my inhaler anymore.

Posts: 449 | From Pasadena, CA, usa | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mother had memories of that pandemic, but according to her it was just in 1918. She told of going to Nebraska (from Kansas) at one point because relatives there were sick, or something like that.

That doesn't sound right, I may have it all confused. [Eek!] Nothing new there! [bonk]

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not that I think I will get the flu shot - but does anyone know why it would say do not have it if you're on antibiotics?

DLL

Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simple answer NO!
Asked my LLMD at my last visit-Oct.11,2006, if I should get the flu shot.

She suggested I NOT get the flu shot, because of all the stuff etc in it, but that her office was laying in a supply of something-a natural flu fighter.

I know I'm not being real specific-the neurotransmitters aren't lining up properly today-but the bottom line is:

I am not geting the shot this year on the advice of my LLMD. Also , since I am not in the mainstream workforce anymore hopefully my exposure will be dimished.

Carol B

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisianthus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisianthus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As requested by Lymetoo.... Sorry it took me so long [Big Grin]

And Cindy --- you can get over the flu, you don't know the long term side effects from these deadly ingredients in these vaccines, and what affect they have on the brain... I think we all get enough brain damage just from the lyme.

I would never get a flu shot. It contains so much junk in order to cause a immune response. And if you allready have a compromised immune system and unable to fight it off, your probably gonna get sick. But this is my opinion, anyone is free to do what they please.

Vaccine Fillers and Ingredients

In addition to the viral and bacterial RNA or DNA that is part of the vaccines, vaccine fillers and ingredients include:

aluminum hydroxide
aluminum phosphate
ammonium sulfate
amphotericin B
animal tissues: pig blood, horse blood, rabbit brain,
dog kidney, monkey kidney,
chick embryo, chicken egg, duck egg
calf (bovine) serum
betapropiolactone
fetal bovine serum
formaldehyde (EMBALMING FLUID)
formalin
gelatin
glycerol
human diploid cells (originating from human aborted fetal tissue)
hydrolized gelatin
monosodium glutamate (MSG)
neomycin
neomycin sulfate
phenol red indicator
phenoxyethanol (ANTIFREEZE)
potassium diphosphate
potassium monophosphate
polymyxin B
polysorbate 20
polysorbate 80
porcine (pig) pancreatic hydrolysate of casein
residual MRC5 proteins
sorbitol
sucrose
thimerosal (MERCURY)
tri(n)butylphosphate,
VERO cells, a continuous line of monkey kidney cells
washed sheep red blood cells

Sounds like great stuff huh? I usually try avoid these things in any amount because I'm sick enough allready.

Lisi

[ 15. October 2006, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: Lisianthus ]

--------------------
yahoo 360 http://360.yahoo.com/my_profile-UqSNGiA9crUMRW.lFNGN5Jk-?cq=1

Posts: 986 | From Michigan | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisianthus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisianthus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A must read if deciding to get a flu shot ---

Why I Never Get Flu Shots

by Chet Day
Reprinted with permission from Chet Day's Health & Beyond

Every year about this time, quite a few people write me and ask, "My Doctor tells me to get my annual flu shot. Should I do it?"

Well, I don't diagnose or prescribe, and what you do with your body remains entirely up to you and your doctor (if you still go to a doctor), but I'll gladly tell you what I do regarding flu shots...

I avoid them like the plague.

In fact, at age 52, I've never had a flu shot, and it would take a Marine nurse and at least four burly wrestlers the size of Jessie Ventura to hold me down and give me one.

Perhaps you already sense I have strong feelings about flu shots?

These feelings stem from personal opinion, reading, and dramatic personal experience.

First off, I don't think toxic chemicals and virus strains grown on living tissue belong in the human body, even when they're packaged in sterile glass vials.

Since my family and I don't rely on doctors anymore, I don't have access to an insert that reveals the composition of this year's flu vaccine, but I did find some general information at the Concerned Parents for Vaccine Safety web site, where I learned about some of the ingredients used to make vaccines.

Do you want any of the following vaccine constituents in YOUR bloodstream?

Ethylene glycol (antifreeze)

Phenol, also known as carbolic acid (this is used as a disinfectant, dye)

Formaldehyde, a known cancer-causing agent

Aluminum, which is associated with Alzheimer's disease and seizures and also cancer producing in laboratory mice (it is used as an additive to promote antibody response)

Thimerosal (a mercury disinfectant/preservative) can result in brain injury and autoimmune disease

Neomycin and Streptomycin (used as antibiotics) have caused allergic reaction in some people.
Vaccines are also grown and strained through animal or human tissue like monkey kidney tissue, chicken embryo, embryonic guinea pig cells, calf serum, and human diploid cells (the dissected organs of aborted human fetuses as in the case of rubella, hepatitis A, and chickenpox vaccines).

Well, I refuse to put all of the above in my body, and I hope when your doctor starts telling you it's time for your annual flu shot that you'll require him to defend the annual injection. You or your insurance company's probably paying eighty bucks for a visit, so get your money's worth.

Have your doctor read you the insert that comes with the vaccine.

Then have him/her explain why it makes sense to inject toxic chemicals into the human body and how such substances can aid the delicate immune system.

Related Stories:

Six Ways to Avoid the Winter Flu - And Flu Shot Isn't One of Them

Risks of FluMist Vaccine

Beware of Colds If You Are Under Stress

Chances are he/she will fall back on questionable statistical and demographic explanations that the medical establishment has used for decades to justify immunization.

Try to engage your doctor in a non-confrontational discussion because this is an opportunity for him/her to actually give some serious thought to what he/she is injecting into bodies of patients day after day after day.

Many traditional doctors who haven't studied diet and lifestyle aren't going to change unless we help to educate them to what drugs and vaccines may really be doing long-term to people.

Okay, to speak from personal experience for a moment, let's look over our shoulders to 1990, a time period before the Day family turned to natural methods of building health.

In February of 1990, right after my wife's major cancer surgery in January, her doctor recommended a flu shot.

Almost immediately after the injection, my wife started feeling ill.

Overnight she came down with the worst case of flu she'd ever had.

She went to bed and literally didn't get up again for more than a few hours at a time for years afterwards. Only now, almost a decade later, is she finally regaining full health and energy.

I don't have space or enough heart yet to tell my wife's entire story, though I'll do it one of these days, but if you'll click here, you can read an article written by another CFIDS sufferer, an article that shows the cause and effect connection between flu vaccines and terrible immune disorders.

Okay, I'm a realist so if was still thinking traditionally, part of me would almost buy into the typical rationale for flu vaccines, that so many people are spared the annual flu and only a few die or have their lives ruined after being injected.

I'd buy into that if I were convinced that injecting a filthy substance into the body actually made sense.

Unfortunately, once I stopped buying into the big medical lies about their drug, cut, and burn system, I started questioning all of it.

And when one digs into the vaccine history (check out the Swine Flu vaccine if you want a real horror story) and scientific research (especially in Europe), it quickly becomes apparent that nobody really knows what these toxic stews of chemicals and microorganisms do in the human body.

Well, readers and a few medical professionals have called me a simple-minded dolt on more than one occasion, but since 1993 I've approached the yearly flu shot hype with the understanding that if I eat and live properly, I won't have to worry about catching the flu.

The flu vaccine I use -- eating and living as close to nature as I can -- actually works.

Not only that, but it doesn't cost a dime, and nobody's going to have his/her life ruined because of a "bad batch" of vaccine that triggers some mysterious autoimmune disease that lays a person out of commission for years.

But let's say you don't want to eat and live close to nature.

Okay, I can understand that, but my next question would be "Which is better? Some rest time with the flu or having toxic chemicals injected into your bloodstream?"

I mean, seriously, before I got healthy I almost looked forward to a yearly bout with influenza because it meant I could go to bed and get some rest instead of working practically every waking moment of my life.

I might add that I haven't missed more than two consecutive days of work from an illness for almost five years, so a non-vaccine approach does work for me. This non-drug approach has resulted in a level of health that continually amazes me, especially when I see other men and women my age who are miserable and without energy. Men and women who spend all too much of their time drifting from doctor to doctor in endless pursuit of solutions that don't get to the cause of their problems -- diet and life style.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Mercola's Comment:

Chet Day is right on target here. He is one of the few newsletter writers that I am in virtual 100% agreement with.

I have heard some authors state that there is a direct correlation of the number of flu shots one has and the incidence of Alzheimer's. This would be due to the aluminum and mercury that is put in every flu shot.

I could not agree more with his recommendations. I am fond of providing the following answer to people who ask me if they should get a flu shot.

I tell them "Only if they want to get the flu".

I am glad to see Chet has gone for five years without missing two consecutive days of work. In the last 20 years though, I have not missed one day of work due to an illness. Now my diet and lifestyle program has NOT always been perfect, far from it. But for the most part I am following an optimized program.

The only miracle here though is that God has given us such wonderful bodies that if even come close to following an optimal diet, exercise and rest, we will have a high likelihood of immunity from illness.

Related Articles:

Flu Shot is Not Cost Effective For Adults But is For Children?

Flu Drug Relenza May Damage Lungs

Stress and the Flu

Flu Drug May Affect Central Nervous System and How The Flu Can Really Be Treated

The True Y2K Bug: Flu Virus Hits Nation With A Vengeance

--------------------
yahoo 360 http://360.yahoo.com/my_profile-UqSNGiA9crUMRW.lFNGN5Jk-?cq=1

Posts: 986 | From Michigan | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not in a ZILLION YEARS would I ever get a flu shot again.

In 1999, I got a horrible case of the flu, and was knocked on my can for 2 months. So the following year I followed my quack's advice and got the shot. (Mind you, this was 6 years before my dx, and about 5 years after my first onset of mystery illness).

Within minutes, I was red, sweating and dizzy. My lymph nodes began to swell later that day, and stayed that way for about 8 weeks. I was always red, fatigued, sweaty and achey and felt extremely out of sorts for a long time after that.

I now know why I got so sick from the shot. All those nasty chemicals polluting an already diminished immune system.

Even my sister, an LPN who gives the shots at flu clinics won't get one. And fwiw, my LLMD told me never to get one..... not that I didn't need convincing.

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not a chance that I would.

The last time I had a flu shot, I got unbelievably sick. That was enough to convince me to stay away from them.

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The RN said she couldn't guarantee the vax was Thimerosol free so I passed.
Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, Lisi! I'm keeping that list this time!! [Wink]

As for why we shouldn't have the shots while on abx, I would think it's because abx suppress the immune system. [??]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

up

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not a chance!!

The only one I ever got was in 2001 (the year after I had the worst flu of my life) crushed me for months. I was red faced within minutes and had swollen glands for weeks. And my LLMD has said never to get one.

I spend my days with a bottle of clove oil spray during cold and flu season to either treat myself or sterilize everything around me.

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

quote:
- you are on antibotics
- have an active infection
- are allergic to eggs

I have not gotten the flu shot since I was a kid. My dad and sister do though, and every year my sister gets sick - don't know about my dad. No way will I get a flu shot.
Lymetoo
Member # 743

^

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Skyler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skyler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never had the flu, oddly enough.
For some reason i never get colds or the flu, and i have had lyme comprimising my immune system since i was 4 or 5.

Anyhoo, I do not trust a vaccine at all!! When givin to very young children, the murcury substitute can give children autism. SO many crazy cases of intelligent children regressing and getting autism after shots.

I stay very far away from stuff like that. I hate the pharmasudical companies... bad people they are.

--------------------
I'm probably sleeping...

Posts: 419 | From Florida | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

I guess I will take my chances with a few more badies put into my body. With my asthma, I don't need more problems with being so sick. I remember those days when getting the flu for months out of every year.

The flu shots don't work for every flu, but do for a lot of the worst ones. I ended up in the hospital back in 95 because I couldn't get the flu shot that year. I was on IV's for three days. I was losing 10 to 12 ounces of fluid per hour and couldn't even drink I was so sick. NOT for me.

I have had the flu shot every year since, except for last year, when I only had the pneumonia shot. Probably will skip the pneumonia shot this year, but not the flu shot.

The Sali-Pipe and herbs have helped my asthma to the point of not having to use an inhaler in over a year, but they won't stop a bad flu virus.

Jim [Cool]

clpgotlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clpgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get one every year with no problem. I have gotten the flu twice when I couldnt get the vaccine. Both times I got very ill with a secondary infection. I was sick minimum of 3 weeks.
Cindy

--------------------
Cindy

Posts: 227 | From VA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dguy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With my immune system already in overdrive thanks to the infection, I haven't caught a cold in years. Hard to imagine I need a flu shot.
Posts: 727 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://nurseandi.com/pdf/vacDanger.pdf

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twopuggles
Member # 10971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twopuggles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm the same as Skyler and dguy. Haven't gotten a cold or flu since I have had Lyme's. I wouldn't get a flu shot anyway.
Posts: 49 | From Grass Valley, CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by GiGi:
http://nurseandi.com/pdf/vacDanger.pdf

Take care.

##

Interesting article GiGi. I especially liked the last two paragraphs. Showing that there are not the problems with the "killed" virus that there are with the "live" virus. Guess THAT is the key to whether we should consider the immunization shots, eh?

Jim [Cool]

Health
Member # 6034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have gotten the flu the past 2 years, and it was such a scary time for me. I note here I did NOT get the flu shot or have gotten it for years.

It affected my Respiratory tract, and I felt that I was not going to make it for 10 days or so. I also had SEVERE stress happen at this time, it was 2 years ago, and my immune was down so much because of the stress, that I got the flu and it was terrible.

The flu affected my breathing so much, and I also remember about 6 years ago when my health was SO much better, I was under severe stress, family stress, which causes severe stress for me, I live with family,

and anyways, I got the flu, a respiratory flu and I thought I was going to die, there were several people in our town that died from it, and I thought I was going to.

So, the flu for me anyways can be deadly, and could cause me to die if it got too bad, I use to use my zapper, but lately it is making me worse, my EMF is coming back,

so I have to find something, once raw garlic saved me, with the flu, I ate 4 cloves a day of it raw for about 10 days.

I have not had the flu shot since a little girl, and I also only started to get the FLU since living with family, here, and I believe it is because of the underlying stress here sometimes.

Stress for me, makes the flu just about kill me.
I do know that my Mother got the flu shot and it really helped her, when she did not, she got the flu twice in the winter, and it was really bad,
really bad, when she got the flu shot, she did not get the flu.

Trish

Posts: 1250 | From Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Health
Member # 6034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A question to all who get the flu shot.

Do you get sick from it? and if you do or did, was it like actually getting the flu if you ever had it?

I am on antibiotics and not well, I am thinking it is the babesia that is back, but not sure yet, doing testing again.

I was thinking to get the flu shot, but what if i react and get very ill, could I die?

I am weak, and not able to LIVE without antibiotics, I would die, really serious here, without antibiotics now, so I am quite weak.

Would it be worth it to get it? I have never had it as an adult, only as a child the flu shot.

Trish

Posts: 1250 | From Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breathwork
Member # 567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breathwork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get the flu shot as my husband is on chemo...I couldn't live with myself if I shared the flu with him.

I do not get colds since lyme....but I do get the flu. The year that I didn't get the shot, I had a heck of a case of flu for two months.

My mercury levels are all but non existant on repeated testing.

I can't afford the flu.

Carol Ann

Posts: 1062 | From CA USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisys
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to catch everything going around and was sick all winter long. Then I started getting the flu shot every year, and now I can go years without even a light cold. I've never felt any different after getting a flu shot.

Now, I'm on antibiotics for lyme, and so won't be getting one this year. Now that I've learned more about it (from this thread, and others) I'm very conflicted. I did ask my husband to stop getting them, and since he's never had the flu in his life, I shouldn't have asked him to start!

I'm going to ask my LLMD what he recommends for his patients, once they're off antibiotics.

Posts: 552 | From New Mexico, USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David95928
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've gotten one every year, at least since 1990, with adverse reactions and no flu.
Dave

--------------------
Dave

Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
perplexed
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1913

Icon 10 posted      Profile for perplexed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get the flu shot every year and may even get the pheumonia shot this year also. I have gotten the flu shot every year now since the early 80's.

I got the flu around that time and was sick for over a month...very sick. It is horrible!!

Guess I am the minority here, but it works for me.

Hugs, Perplexed [confused]

Posts: 324 | From Lexington, KY, USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliebridge
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alliebridge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD doesn't want me getting the flu shot. I believe he said it has to do with the mercury in it.

Mercury and flu shots...not a good mix. [shake]

Posts: 366 | From MA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yourtroubl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11087

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yourtroubl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got mine at child's pediatrician...We both got one and 16 year old will go to get one and husband just depends on us getting it so he does not get the flu; lol
Posts: 347 | From WV | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenschasinglyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenschasinglyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my friends who went into remission who had SERIOUS NOT MESSIN around neuro lyme fell out of it when she got her flu shot!!!

I heard from someone else today another gentleman in the same group got very sick too from it and relapsed.

Posts: 111 | From San Francisco | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup that's our group- hey jen*)!!- Yup, we've had TWO women in FULL REMISSION get sick again IMMEDIATELY after flu shots- and one guy- and for him he ended up in a donwward spiral that ended in his death from overdose by local hospital from his meds- non-intentional overdose by local hospital- they screwed up (other guy in group who killed ihmself was purposeful od)-

ANYWAY, I got immunized before going to India on pleasure trip with no problems but I won't ever ever EVER get a flu shot or take one extra immunization I don't need- not after hearing their stories!!!! And seeing them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement