LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » HORMONES AND HORRIFIC ANXIETY

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HORMONES AND HORRIFIC ANXIETY
i want help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9786

Icon 9 posted      Profile for i want help     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am having incredbile anxiety and depression and it seems hormonally related? or is this just lyme?? any thoughts?? any advice/support??
thanks
kristin

Posts: 225 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This would be a tough question to answer right off the bat.

I know both hormones AND Lyme can cause these symptoms. If you have a diagnosis of Lyme, I can tell you that I saw my LLMD just yesterday about my anxiety that is turning near panic attack feeling.

He told me this is DEFINITELY lyme and uped one of my Zhang's since I guess the antibiotics can make this worse at times.

Without knowing more history on you, I can't say which is causing depression and anxiety but I do know it could be EITHER, but if you have lyme, chances are high it's the lyme.

Or heck, perhaps both. I'm not a doctor, so don't take my word for anything, but I'd get it checked out.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
i want help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for i want help     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well i have been diagnosed with lyme, but my emotions are all over the place! very dark, anxious..
don't know what to do if its hormonal (hormonally related lyme) than this might be easier to cope with just looking for any help
thanks
kristin [bonk] [bonk]

Posts: 225 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiserforit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiserforit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi kristin,

I can tell you that my hormones and anxiety became inextricably bound as my lyme has lingered.

Before Lyme, I got cranky the day before a period (no anxiety). In the beginning of my Lyme path, 2 or 3 days before anxiety and tension lurked. Several years into Lyme, it is more like the anxiety-merry-go-round begins 5-7 days before my period. Depression and dark thoughts happen during the period.

Add a migraine and exhaustion to the mix and you have a woman begging menopause to come quick and be painless!

So, whether peri-menopause is dancing around or not, Lyme, Babesia and Bartonella are working an evil number on what already exists! It just intensifies everything!

I'm rambling... you are not alone on this one!

wiserforit

Posts: 508 | From Banks of the Hudson | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karatelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karatelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can tell you that all of the women that I know who have gone to the Fibromyalgia and Fatigue Center (where they test for lyme with the Western Blot through Igenex) and get a lyme diagosis have imbalanced hormone problems.

I have been put on bio-identical hormones for progesterone, testosterone, thyroid and estrogen cream which has helped to stabilize me in that area.

I believe chronic lyme messes with all of our bodily systems, hormones included.

My first visit they took 23 vials of blood for their workup. That was before they tested for hypercoagulation and then the lyme and virus testing. I had deficiencies in so many areas.

So, yes, I believe most have low hormone levels which have been messed up because of lyme.

Sandy

Posts: 686 | From Northeast Georgia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sandy,

That was a great contribution. Where is this fibromyalgia and fatigue center you are discussing?

I imagine most of us had had the diagnosis of "fibro" in the process of getting the answers but it's great to hear of a place that is running Igenex on fibro.

AND to hear that it really does mess with our hormones. So much is finally fitting together with all the craziness I went through before getting my Igenex positive results.

Thanks for sharing.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
i want help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for i want help     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the replies--is there anything i can do to help this situation? could my thyroid be off?

or could i just be even herxing can that cause emotions to run high?

i know lyme has so many symptoms just wondering if i can be proactive about this--

thanks
kristin

lymesucks
Member # 10575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymesucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THANK YOU for writing about this.
My anxiety is the WORST issue i have, and i have many. I thought i was alone and dreading that maybe i dont have lyme..although im igenex positive. during pms is worse. i have gotten so bad with anxiety and also irritability that it scares me . i hate being alone and im a grown woman.
Lets pray treatments helps this

Posts: 56 | From bayarea | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chainsaw joseph
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chainsaw joseph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your not on an antidepressant(ssri) you could try 5htp from douglass labs,helps me a whole lot.
Posts: 308 | From new bedford,Ma. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is very common to go through periods of depression and severe anxiety when you shake up the Lyme bugs during treatment. I had a few months in the spring where I was a mess! I could not be around people and was horribly anxious and depressed (I had already been on Paxil for 12 years, but the Lyme really made it bad).
I used Ativan and Xanax as much as I needed until I was feeling better. I was able to wean off within one week even after using a LOT of benzos for three months so they aren't as addictive as some people think.
I am going through a slightly less anxious period right now (after a few months of no anxiety) and using the Ativan again. As you go through your treatment it gets easier.
As far as the Fibro and Fatigue Center - some of them are very good and some not so good. They put me on all kinds of bio-identical hormones and thyroid and it made me more nuts. I was on the lowest dose of T-3 and had my first anxiety attack ever and had EVERY symptom of T-3 overdose. Also, the Cortisol they had me on only allowed me to sleep for two hours at at time at night even taking mega sleep meds and anti-anxiety meds. They tend to put you on the hormones whether you need them or not. I clearly did not need them. My identical twin sister, however, (no Lyme but has Chronic Fatigue and Systemic Candida very bad) has benefited from the same FFC center (hormones, T-3 and all) and still goes there. So you just never know!

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
i want help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9786

thanks mojo
makes me feel less crazy!!!! honest to god!!
this is insane!! just unbearable. I know it will pass but its lasting a looong time and im at the end of my rope nearing it quickly. along with all the rest lyme has to offer, chills, can't regulate body temp, stuttering, balance,
anyways
thanks for everyone's help
wish me luck
and lets pray for all ofus to feel better soon!
kristin [group hug]

Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kristin,

Right there with you!

One of the things that helps me with lyme anxiety is taking a magnesium supplement twice a day -- in the morning and the afternoon.

Seems to make a big difference amazingly for me! If I miss the afternoon supplement I feel much worse. I use the Twinlabs Magnesium caps and take one in the morning and one-half cap in the afternoon. I also take a B-50 vitamin the morning and methyl-B12.

Oh yes, and exercise every day too -- helps alot, as much as can be done.

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LML2260
Member # 9615

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LML2260     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kristin,

Just tried to pm you, but your mailbox is full

--------------------
Lynne

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, concerned citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Posts: 63 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
i want help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9786

thanks will empty box right now!! (how do i access that--my mailbox only shows when i get a message???)
kristin

karatelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karatelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tidbit,

The Fibromyalgia and Fatigue Centers are all around the U.S. Here's the link:

http://www.fibroandfatigue.com/center_locations.php

On the thyroid, what they told me was ~ if you start to feel jittery cut the dosage in half which I did. I think doctors forget to tell people things like this. I had to ask first.

Yes, some of the centers are better than others but its nice to get all that blood work done to find out what areas you are deficient in.

The problem then is they do give you a lot of supplements and I honestly don't know how much of them help when we are as sick as we are.

I think the bio-identical hormones are a must but they do try to push a lot of other supplements on you. You don't have to buy them there and a lot of them I found cheaper online.

I only took abx for 6 months. I'm now using the KMT24 and am having good results from it. I've only been using it a little over a month so I can't really say much more. What's nice is my doctor at the FFC is fine with me using alternative treatment to abx.

What I love about this machine is this ~ all the frequencies you need to kill lyme, co-infections, viruses, other bacteria, fungus, mold, metal toxins and many other things are already on the machine so you don't have to worry about missing anything.

You do have to do a lot of detoxing of course.

Sandy

Posts: 686 | From Northeast Georgia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was told I was in early menopause at 41. I thought this was odd, and was later told I was not, but they had put me on Premarin (not knowing I had Lyme at the time), and all my symptoms literally EXPLODED during that time period.

I had the most severe anxiety and panic attacks ever (worse than they ever were when I had been prescribed psychotropics to begin with). My moods were everywhere - 'high', 'the blues', irritability.

I have a hunch my endometriosis was Lyme, and in fact, I donated one ovary and my uterus to what I believe was Lyme. Since they are finding menopause occurs in the brain, my personal suspicion is that Lyme causes menopause. Don't let any docs talk you into hormones.

Also, I was wearing the 'benzo dependent' label for yearsss, even though I never abused Klonopin. Chances are anyone who experiences 'withdrawal syndrome' coming off a benzo is really experiencing a surge of Lyme - which it is my belief drugs like Klonopin suppress.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good morning all.

Before being dx with Lyme I had horriffic panic and anxiety attacks. It felt like waves going

through my body. Would even wake me up at night.

Always felt like I was late for something too.

Had all my "girly" hormones checked. All were normal for a 41 yr old woman.

Anxiety and panic significantly decreased on doxy.

Good luck with these panic feelings. They were so bad at times I ended up in the ER.

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliebridge
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alliebridge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hang in there Kristin! Many of us are in the same boat. [Cool]
Posts: 366 | From MA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
i want help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9786

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP
TRIED THE HORMONE CREAM AND THE MAGNESIUM
WISH ME LUCK
THANKS
KRISTIN

Lioness
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lioness     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used an estrogen cream too. I felt it helped.

Extra Magnesium also. IV doses in the beginning. Tablets now.

I also take 5-HTP (with other amino acids) to help absorption.

Plus the multi vitamin and extra Vitamin D

My llmd had me do a detox program too. It helped clear out all the toxic build up and the die off affect

Posts: 240 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairenotes
Member # 10392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairenotes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please look into 'Estrogen Dominance,' which is also to say, progesterone deficiency. Progesterone is needed to balance the effects of estrogen. It declines as we get older (35+).

The following is a website that provides a quick list of symptoms for both sides of the equation:

www.yourlifesource.com/estrogen-dominancehtm.com

Also, Dr. Lam's website provides a fair amount of detail: www.drlam.com. Or google estrogen dominance for a list of other resources. There are many.

Supplementing with progesterone really helped me balance some of the symptoms. Also, some dietary changes helped, too, like reducing carbs.

But it is not the complete answer, only one piece of the puzzle. I do believe that LD brings it's own brand of anxiety and depression, also.

I think htp can be useful, too. For me, a little goes a long way. And I felt more tired initially, until my body was used to it.

Best wishes,

Claire

Posts: 1111 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
grace1
Member # 10347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for grace1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
geneal,

i also have the anxiety/panic feeling like waves going through my body. like an electric shock in my brain and waves down my body. sometimes it actually shakes. and it's not the same type of anxiety feeling you get when you are anxious and worried about something.

i try to describe this to my family doctor but it must be too strange a description. i keep trying to convince him it's not due to stress. i mean, you can feel it. the waves just come for no reason, when i'm sitting at my desk, or lying in bed... and they're really hard to bear

Posts: 98 | From San Francisco | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymesucks
Member # 10575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymesucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes and i also have that "always in a rush" feeling. Very inpatient.
Posts: 56 | From bayarea | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement