LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone got western blot results for healthy people?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone got western blot results for healthy people?
pope
Member # 10725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone know if any of the famous bands (esp 41kDa, 30/31kDa, etc) have a habit of showing up in perfectly well subjects?

Or do healthy people just produce a long row of negatives?

Any data out there?

Might help throw my results into perspective.

P

Posts: 19 | From London | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
excellent idea on testing healthy people with different kinds of western blot.
Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 6t5frlane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great Idea.........My guess is Igenex would show some positive....
Posts: 355 | From NY | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Member # 6740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Areneli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was done. I don't know if it was published but it was presented on some Lyme conference. Cannot recall which one.

As far as I remember it was concluded that some selected bands are more probable in healthy people than others but almost any of them can be found in physically healthy population.

Posts: 1538 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pope
Member # 10725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey folks

Did a quick search, and came up with this (though note that this is in Poland, so I guess it's the Euro variant garinii or something)

Found the abstract on PubMed.

http://tinyurl.com/ungvw

If anyone has access to the full text, I'm interested.

It seems to indicate that 41kDa didn't appear in any of the healthy controls! I thought 41 was the band most likely to show up in people...? Or is it just that 41 is the strongest band if you have Lyme?

Aim of this study was evaluation of Western blot banding patterns in different clinical forms of early Lyme borreliosis diagnosed in patients from north-eastern Poland, recognized as endemic for tick-borne diseases. Study was performed on serum samples of 48 patients with Lyme borreliosis and 26 healthy volunteers, as controls. Samples tested routinely for total antibody with enzyme immunoassay were subsequently analysed for specific antibodies with Western blot based on antigen extract of European strain of Borrelia burgdorferi. In patients, IgM antibodies were the most frequently directed against 41 kDa and 58 kDa antigens, whereas in control group only antibodies against 45 kDa and 58 kDa were present. Similar response was observed in respect to IgG antibodies. Evaluation of banding pattern in respect to clinical form of the disease revealed the highest prevalence of IgM and IgG anti-41 kDa antibodies in patients with erythema migrans and Lyme arthritis, and anti-58 kDa in neuroborreliosis patients, who had no anti-21 kDa antibodies. Relatively high frequency of IgG antibodies against 21, 30 and 93 kDa antigens was typical for neuroborreliosis. Bands count was significantly higher in different clinical forms of the disease than in controls, and it was the highest in neuroborreliosis. Combined analysis of Western blot results (IgM/IgG) enabled to achieve higher sensitivity (84%) and specificity (100%) than available with the most recommended EIA kits.

Posts: 19 | From London | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know how accurate this is but apparently Steere has said that 18, 28, 93 NEVER show up in controls.
http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ac/01/slides/3680s2_11.pdf
search for "steere"

Here is the original study but I haven't looked at it carefully so I don't know how it correlates with what is said above. Also, the original study was done so long ago that perhaps something about the testing was learned that negated the results? I simply don't know.
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/picrender.fcgi?artid=423723&blobtype=pdf
Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have the reference on hand, but band 41 is NOT specific to lyme disease. It shows exposure to a spirochete, but many people have that as some bacteria that reside in the mouth are spirochetal (I've heard). I've read that about half of "normal" people will test positive on band 41.

Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoadRunner
Member # 380

Icon 6 posted      Profile for RoadRunner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hope this helps

22-kDa OspC [specific for Bb]
22-25kDa OspC
23-kDa OspC
*24-kDa OspC
25-kDa OspC [specific for Bb]
26-kDa
25-kDa
27-kDa Osp, Hsp
(Europe burgdorferi strain B29, but not American strain B31)
*28-kDa OspD, Oms28 [specific for Bb]
29-kDa
30-32-kDa OspA
*30-kDa OspA substrate binding protein
31-kDa OspA [specific for Bb]
32-kDa OspA
33-kDa outer membrane
34-kDa OspB [specific for Bb]
34-36-kDa OspB
35-kDa OspB [specific for Bb]
35.5-kDa
36-37-kDa
37-kDa P37, flaA gene product, [specific for Bb]
38.0-kDa
*39-kDa BmpA [specific for Bb]
40-kDa
*41-kDa Fla
42-kDa
43-kDa
44-kDa
*45-kDa [appeared in IgM in control group in 1998 study done in Poland]
MEDLINE - 9972057 - "...whereas in control group only antibodies
against 45 kDa and 58 kDa were present."
[appears for HGE]
MEDLINE - 9620365 - "...confirmed the importance of the 42- to
45-kDa antigens as early, persistent, and specific markers of HGE
infection."
46-kDa
47-kDa P47 fibronectin-binding protein [specific for Bb]
48-kDa
49-kDa
50-kDa [specific for Bb]
51 kDa MgtE
52-kDa Fn-BA
54-kDa [other Borrelia]
55-kDa
56-kDa
57-kDa PBP
*58-kDa (not GroEL)
59-kDa [a genetically engineeried fragment of the 83-kDa protein]
60-kDa Hsp [all Borrelia]
62-kDa Hsp60
63.7-kDa
64-kDa (P64) [cross-reacts to human axonal proteins]
65-kDa
*66-kDa P66 Oms66 Hsp outer/integral membrane protein
67-kDa
68-kDa
70-kDa Hsp
71-kDa
72-kDa Hsp [cross-reactive with other spirochetes]
[cross-reactive with other spirochetes/bacteria]
Characterization of antigenic determinants of Bb shared by other
bacteria.
73-kDa
75-kDa
77-kDa a genetically engineered recombinant hybred
Use of a hybrid protein consisting of the variable region of the
Borrelia burgdorferi flagellin and part of the 83-kDa protein as
antigen for serodiagnosis of Lyme disease.
78-kDa OspA
79.8-kDa
80-kDa
83-kDa p83 high molecular mass protein [specific for Bb]
84-kDa [B. garinii]
88-kDa
92-kDa
*93-kDa an immunodominant protoplasmic cylinder antigen, associated with
the flagellum [specific for Bb]
94-kDa PBP [specific for Bb]
95-kDa
97-kDa associated with flagella
100-kDa P100
110-kDa
200-kDa a fusion protein, a hybrid protein
-----
Named bands - the gene names:
BmpA, BmpB, BmpC "the 39 kDa Bmp protein family", PMID: 8978084
BmpD, PMID: 8606088
FlaA osp of the periplasmic flagella, 37-kDa, PMID: 9986810;
38-kDa, PMID: 9573194, PMID: 8990312
FlaB 41-kDa PMID: 9573194
FlgE protein 40-kDa?, PMID: 8548542
ospAB 28-34-kDa, PMID: 9596714
OspA 31-kDa, PMID: 10030131
OspB 34-kDa, PMID: 10030131
OspC 21-25-kDa, 22-25-kDa - PMID: 8825913,
OspD 28-kDa, PMID: 8825913
OspE 19.2-kDa [calculated], PMID: 8262642
OspF 26.1-kDa [calculated], PMID: 8262642
----
Bands specific for Borrelia burgdorferi:
14-kDa ?
21-kDa
22-kDa OspC
25-kDa OspC
28-kDa OspD
31-kDa OspA
34-kDa OspB
35-kDa
37-kDa
39-kDa
47-kDa
50-kDa
83-kDa
93-kDa
94-kDa

--------------------
"Beep Beep"

Posts: 2630 | From ct | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Road Runner!

That's some impressive collection of information.
I thought 23 KDa was Bb specific? Has that changed recently or was I mistaken?

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Anyone know if any of the famous bands (esp 41kDa, 30/31kDa, etc) have a habit of showing up in perfectly well subjects?
I've been told by someone that I consider to be a very reliable source that there are those who have lyme and yet are asymptomatic. This would make testing of controls less accurate since some percentage of controls are likely to have lyme. I have no idea how many but it is interesting to think about.
Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoadRunner
Member # 380

Icon 6 posted      Profile for RoadRunner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here is more in some cases 22 and 23/25 are the same

According to "Everything You Need To Know About Lyme Disease"

9kD = cross-reactive for Borrelia
12kD = specific for Bb
18kD = unknown
20kD = cross-reactive for Borrelia
21kD = unknown
22kD = specific for Bb, probably really the 23/25 band
23/25kD = outer surface protein C (OspC), specific for Bb

28kD = Unknown

30kD = unknown, probably an outer surface protein; common in European and one California strain.

31kD = outer surface protein A (OspA) specific for Bb

34kD = outer surface protein B (OspB) specific for Bb
35kD = specific for Bb

37kD = specific for Bb
38kD = cross-reactive for Bb

39kD = major protein of Bb flagellin; specific for Bb

41kD = flagellin protein of all spirochetes; this is usually the first to appear after Bb infection and is specific for all Borrelia

45kD = cross-reactive for all Borrelia
50kD = cross-reactive for all Borrelia
55kD = cross-reactive for all Borrelia
57kD = cross-reactive for all Borrelia

58kD = unknown, but may be a heat-shock Bb protein
60kD = cross-reactive for all Borrelia

66kD = cross-reactive for all Borrelia, common in all bacteria
83kD = specific antigen for Lyme bacterium, probably a cytoplasmic membrane

93kD = unknown, probably same protein as 83, just measured incorrectly

"To qualify for recent infection, a patient needs two of the three following Bb IgM bands: 23/25kD, 39kD, 41kD. To qualify for longer standing infection, a patient needs five of the ten following Bb IgG bands: 18kD, 21kD, 28kD, 30kD, 39kD, 41kD, 45kD, 58kD, 66kD, 93kD."

--------------------
"Beep Beep"

Posts: 2630 | From ct | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
humanbeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for humanbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hubby had cdc positive IGg but never been symptomatic...(I made him take the test)

--------------------
We are spiritual beings on a human journey...

www.ruggierogallery.com

Posts: 906 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nebula2005
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nebula2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found a little tidbit about band 30 (30kd):

A company that sells Borellia burgdorferi antigens made from mice says they test at 30kd.

ABCAM product datasheet for ab2027

product name: Primary antibodies

description: Mouse monoclonal [Bss42] to Borellia burgdorferi sensu stricto

immunogen: Bacterial lysates of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu stricto

Tested applications: Elisa, immunofluorescence, Western blot. Detects a band of approximately 30 kd.

It is a IgG2a isotype, perhaps this is why LabCorp only tests IgG for band 30? (my Igenex IgM was positive for it)

From what I can find, tuberculosis may have a 30 kd protein. Couldn't find much else that could cross-react.

Posts: 353 | From Florida boonies | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jellybelly
Member # 7142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jellybelly   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So according to Steere, even though my test results were IND and Neg, I still have Lyme because I have the symptoms and was 18+. Is that not correct? Bands 18, 28, and 93, even if ONE of these bands shows up, then the source of the illness is Lyme according to Steere.
Posts: 1251 | From california | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

quote:
hubby had cdc positive IGg but never been symptomatic...(I made him take the test)

I hope he is in treatment since according to what I've read and what I've been told, he *could* be re-infecting you.

quote:
So according to Steere, even though my test results were IND and Neg, I still have Lyme because I have the symptoms and was 18+. Is that not correct? Bands 18, 28, and 93, even if ONE of these bands shows up, then the source of the illness is Lyme according to Steere.

Jellybelly, no, I'm sure Steere did not say that and has no intention of saying it.

The first link is testimony from Kathleen Dickson, (a chemist who has lyme disease) regarding the validity of the serological methods that were used in the lymerix vaccine trial.

She states that Dressler/Steere report that bands 18, 28 and 93, (generated from Bb strain G39/40) are the most specific for lyme because they never show up in controls. She referred to an old study for which I included the link. I believe Kathleen Dickson is the one who states that because these bands do not show up in controls, the presence of symptoms and one of these bands would indiciate that lyme is the source of the illness. I'm not saying she's wrong, but that's a lot different than Steere saying it.

I've read that 18 is specific for lyme and at least one LLMD wrote that in his own data of 700 patients, if one of the specific bands was postive (and he included 18), then 97% of the 700 patients feel better with abx. I don't think that's a guarantee that you have lyme but I think it's pretty certain that you have some infection that is impacted by antibacterials.

Dr. B. also mentions band 18 as species specific and that one should see at least a specific band and 41.

Terry
I'm not a doctor, this is just my opinion.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement