LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » VItamin D herx

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: VItamin D herx
kelmo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD is fairly new in the treatment business. He has about ten years under his belt. He doesn't have a big grasp of natural supplimentation, so we have learned a lot here.

He did mention last time we saw him that my daughter was most likely vitamin D deficient. She doesn't like to go outdoors, and feels real uncomfortable in the sun. (It's like we live in the Truman show, the sun shines almost every day).

So, we got a vitamin D supplement and she started taking it. After about five days, she had a major herx.

I seem to remember someone mentioning that it could have that affect, but can't find it when I search.

Any ideas? I think we will wait until we see a lyme literate naturapath before we supplement on any more stuff.

Kelly

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelly

Have you heard of the Marshall Protocol? They are dead set against Vit D and will avoid all sources of it, both natural and supplemental. Many of them swear their symptoms get worse with Vit D.

Recently my doctor put me on D3 supplementation and I developed sun sensitivity and hip pain. So,
my experience matches theirs. No one calls this a herx though. It is just a reaction to too much Vit D.

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know for sure Kelmo but I was cautioned about taking too much Vit D-3 too fast. Someone suggested ramping up.

If I remember correctly some people reported having a temporary spike in temperature when starting. I think that would feel pretty herxy.

I had no problem with 1000mgs, then 2000, but 6 months later still tested deficient. So I'm thinking the supp I had was basically garbage.

I've switched brands and am starting over.

Was she started on a high dose?

When I switched brands I went back down to 400mg and worked up, just in case. I have no medical anything and an iffy memory, I just know I'm taking about 1600-2000 mgs now and seem to be ok with it.

Good luck!

(If I find the information I had on it I'll send it your way.)

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, again Kelmo! [Big Grin]

This is the thread I posted when I was told to take the Vit D:
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=042141

I hope there's something there that helps.

--------------------
more light, more love

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annxyz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes it is a herx because VIT D is a MAJOR immune booster .

For more info go to Ken Lassesen's site called
"Cheap Help".

I strongly disagree with the Marshall Protocol's position on VIT D .

PLEASE do some research on the relationship of VIT D and cancer , depression, bone disease , and a myriad of other diseases .

VIT D fires up your immune system and creates a POWERFUL steriod that is part of immune function.

"Dr Marshall " is not a medical person; he is
an engineer . Though he may have some valid ideas , I would be careful and RESEARCH VIT D
before I tried the Marshall protocol, esp with a child .
I am not putting the MP down , but saying there are SERIOUS risks assoc with VIT D deficiency that are constantly being documented .
Good Luck !

--------------------
ANNXYZ

Posts: 744 | From Mineola | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lioness
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lioness     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have Vitamin D Defeciency. I noticed I feel worse when I take the supplements, especially if I don't take them for a while.

But, I also know I need them. I can't drink milk and don't eat enough foods that contain a lot of vitamin D. I am also on the East Coast, so I miss out on a lot of sun [Frown]

But my daily vitamin has some in it and when my levels are real low, I take it by itself.

Posts: 240 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Member # 9064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave6002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In their paper, they imply that Vitamin D3 is immunosuppresive. Topical vitamin D3 derivatives are successfully used to treat psoriasis, which is an auto-immune disease,affecting the skin and joints. Moreover, dexamethasone and vitamin D3 treatment of T cells can induce regulatory T cells, which suppress immune response. It seems supportive to MP.

Skin controls immune regulators

An explanation has come to light for the long-observed phenomenon that ultraviolet light suppresses the immune response in the skin. Light and other stimuli prompt the proliferation of regulatory T cells through the upregulation of receptor activator of NF-kB ligand (RANKL) on skin cells (pages 1372?1379).

1: Nat Med. 2006 Dec;12(12):1372-9. Epub 2006 Dec 3.

Epidermal RANKL controls regulatory T-cell numbers via activation of dendritic
cells.

Loser K, Mehling A, Loeser S, Apelt J, Kuhn A, Grabbe S, Schwarz T, Penninger
JM, Beissert S.

[1] Department of Dermatology, University of Munster, D-48149 Munster, Germany.
[2] Interdisciplinary Center of Clinical Research (IZKF), University of Munster,
D-48149 Munster, Germany.

Regulatory CD4(+)CD25(+) T cells are important in suppressing immune responses.
The requirements for the maintenance of peripheral CD4(+)CD25(+) T cells remain
incompletely understood. Receptor activator of NF-kappaB (RANK) and its ligand
(RANKL; also known as CD254, OPGL and TRANCE) are key regulators of bone
remodeling, mammary gland formation, lymph node development and T-cell/dendritic
cell communication. Here we report that RANKL is expressed in keratinocytes of
the inflamed skin. RANKL overexpression in keratinocytes resulted in functional
alterations of epidermal dendritic cells and systemic increases of regulatory
CD4(+)CD25(+) T cells. Thus, epidermal RANKL expression can change dendritic
cell functions to maintain the number of peripheral CD4(+)CD25(+) regulatory T
cells. Epidermal RANKL mediated ultraviolet-induced immunosuppression and
overexpression of epidermal RANKL suppressed allergic contact hypersensitivity
responses and the development of systemic autoimmunity. Therefore, environmental
stimuli at the skin can rewire the local and systemic immune system by means of
RANKL.

PMID: 17143276 [PubMed - in process]

[ 26. December 2006, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: Dave6002 ]

Posts: 1078 | From Fairland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I've heard of the Marshall Protocol. I was a member of The Road Back before we found the Lyme connection to her fibromyalgia. That's why this whole Vitamin D thing is confusing.

But, even on that website, there is a running fued on the Thomas Brown vx Marshall protocols.

She only took 400IU once a day for five days before her body went screaming into the night. It was Christmas Eve, so I told her to not take it the next day.

So, could that be a signal that she is dificient?

I think I would be more comfortable if she got an actual blood test to prove that she is dificient. I just don't want her ingesting things that aren't helpful.

Thanks Trueblue for the link. I did a search on Vitamin D in all areas of this forum and that link didn't come up for me!

Thanks all for your input.

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a member of Roadback as well and that is where I heard members swear the Vit D made them feel worse.

For me, my bloodtest of Vit D was normal but doctor wanted me to supplement anyway. If you research Vit D3 and RA, you will find lots of positive research.

But my personal experience was not good. I have not followed MP and don't now, but my personal experience with Vit D was right in line with what they claim.

I think it is something to be very cautious about. Especially since it is a steriod and not a vitamin. Steroids are to be avoided if you have a bacterial infection like lyme. Suppressing the immune system is not a good thing.

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dguy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelly - what you are describing is unlikely to be herx, but rather a reaction to an excess of 1,25D. I experienced similar when I tried vitamin D supplements.

This happens because the bacteria consume 25D and convert it to 1,25D. Thus, in most Lymies 25D gets depleted and 1,25D gets boosted too high.

Sunlight also causes the conversion to 1,25D.

That your daughter experiences worsening from both vitamin D supplements and sunlight is a strong indication her 1,25D is too high.

I'd recommend a blood test for BOTH 25D and 1,25D. If results show 25D trending low and 1,25D trending high, it's a strong indicator of infection, and suggests the MP will help her.

Avoiding vitamin D and light has helped reduce some of my symptoms. Taking abx has brought on a true herx and improvement in other symptoms.

Posts: 727 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jarjar
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jarjar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
D guy is right on target. I'm on the MP and feel so much better on it. I remember when I use to supplement with D and it just made me feel worse.

The D 1.25 is very important to look at.

Posts: 805 | From Utopia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Kelly,
I think it's a good idea to get her tested and see where to go from there.

I seem to have no problem with the Vit D or sunlight (except for it being to hot, living in FL).

Good luck

--------------------------------------------------------

Not that anyone asked me but I tend to agree with Ann/Jennifer Geddie up there. Check out the site she recommended. I had read another of his sites about Vit D and learned a lot.

--------------------
more light, more love

kelmo
Member # 8797

A year ago, she was taking medication that made her feel like her stomach was a bottomless pit. In an effort to eat healthy, she would eat up to a dozen oranges in an evening.

Talk about getting C and D and potassium!! Along with the sugar. [Roll Eyes]

Now she is allergic to oranges.

I'm not sure our LLMD tests for some of the things you all have been tested for. We see him this week, and it will likely be a blood draw. What do you recommend we ask him to test, other than D?

Kelly

mjo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7876

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mjo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been one of the lucky Lymies who does not have a lot of pain or joint involvement. I accidentally got some Vitamin A with D added, didn't notice the label. In two weeks of taking the "vitamin" I could not get out of bed in the morning. I'd have to lie in bed for an hour as all my joints hurt so much, felt like creaky old hinges. This was all new to me! And horrible.

I stopped the A and D and was fine inside three days. Never again! (The A alone had been no problem.) Vitamin D increases inflammation.

I wouldn't care/don't care how D deficient I am, I would not waste the time and money testing or trying to resupply the "vitamin."

Not sure the vitamin D we make from sunlight is the same as supplementation. Comments?

Do you ever ask yourself how smart your body is? I just looked at another post about cholesterol where someone said the higher cholesterol was helping the body protect itself from bacteria/infection. I know this to be true so why are we always trying to fight what the body does naturally to protect itself? Maybe we'd be better if we spent more time aiding than fighting/righting?

Posts: 422 | From Luck home | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Thank you for your input. We are pulling back on all supplements, then adding them one by one and see what works and what doesn't.

I don't think that vitamin D is going to be a keeper.

Thank you, EVERYONE, for your input. This is a wonderful community!

Happy New Year

dguy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mjo:

Not sure the vitamin D we make from sunlight is the same as supplementation. Comments?

One thing that makes Vitamin D complex is that it comes in several different forms.

D3 is what is usually found in food, or commonly added to milk and cereal. D2 comes from some plants.

Our bodies take D3 and D2 and change it into 25D. In a final step that normally occurs mostly in the kidney, our body converts 25D into 1,25D, which is the "active" form, i.e. the one used by our body for various purposes.

Sunlight on skin also converts 25D into 1,25D. Sunlight also creates some 25D from cholesterol.

Just like many hormonal processes in our body, the pace of the 25D to 1,25D conversion is controlled by a chemical feedback loop so that levels stay within a normal range.

But lyme converts 25D to 1,25D "extra-renally", that is, outside the kidney. Our bodies sense the excess 1,25D and signal the kidneys to slow their conversion, But the lyme bacteria ignore such signals, and keep cranking away at the 25D to 1,25 conversion, depleting our 25D and making our 1,25D too high.

The reason some lyme patients are more light sensitive than others remains something of a mystery. I suspect the sensitivity might depend on just how high the 1,25D already is, or perhaps where in the body the Bb infection is most concentrated.

Posts: 727 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

If the Lyme is messing with the "D", then WHAT is it using it for?! If it has to create it outside the kidneys, it must be using it for something.

So, how do we supplement the good kind? Do we need to?

dguy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8979

quote:
Originally posted by kelmo:
If the Lyme is messing with the "D", then WHAT is it using it for?! If it has to create it outside the kidneys, it must be using it for something.

So, how do we supplement the good kind? Do we need to?

As I understand it, the D conversion is a consequence of life process of Bb. Limit your intake of D and you cut off the fuel of the inflammation process.

If the biologically active form of the vitamin, that's the 1,25D, is already too high (as is true for most lymies), there is no need to supplement its precursors like 25D or D3.

Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vitamin A and vitamin D are supposed to be in the right balance. These are both fat soluable vitamins. It is my understanding that we have about 4 days worth of Vitamin D stored in the liver. Only a day's worth of glycogen.

In lyme, it appears vitamin D rises for PROTECTIVE reasons.

It appears vitamin A might be dropping (we know vitamin E does).

Vitamin D is a powerful cancer protective vitamin.

We need SOME sunlight exposure.

Without it, we can't convert melatonin BACK TO serotonin and -> SAD = seasonal affective disorder. Depression. Not enough serotonin.

There is a reason why melatonin levels stay elevated.

It is a powerful "antioxidant" and stimulates bicarbonate release.

Not enough, unfortunately.

Way too much oxidative stress. Way too many free radicals.

Hydrogen goes into the cells, but to get into the MITOCHONDRIA (powerhouses), we need a transporter...

Which is where CoQ10 fits into the picture....

It is my understanding we MAKE this enzyme when we exercise IF we have enough of the nutrients needed to MAKE it.

Learn to watch the pH and glycogen (blood sugar) levels like a hawk.

When too acidic, likely you feel herx-like.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brentb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6899

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brentb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great thread...interesting article on the subject.

Harvard study finds high vitamin D intake may cut multiple sclerosis risk
Friday, December 29, 2006 by: Ben Kage

(NewsTarget) Researchers at the Harvard School of Public Health in Boston have found evidence that a higher level of vitamin D in the body significantly reduces the risk of developing multiple sclerosis in whites

The white people studied showed a proportional drop in MS risk with an increased vitamin D level, with the people in the top fifth of the high-vitamin-D sample showing a 62 percent reduced risk. The researchers said this suggested an increased vitamin D intake might prevent many cases of MS.

The black and Hispanic people studied showed no drop in MS risk regardless of their vitamin D levels, but lead researcher Alberto Ascherio said this could be because both groups had overall lower vitamin D levels or because there were so few blacks and Hispanics in the sampling.

According to Nicholas LaRocca of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, which helped fund the study, the findings were promising, but it was too soon to begin recommending vitamin D supplements as a way to prevent MS.

Multiple sclerosis is an as-yet-incurable disease marked by disrupted communication between the brain and the body, sometimes leading to paralysis, and affects about 2 million people worldwide. Some experts believe it to be an autoimmune disorder in which the immune system attacks its own body.

Vitamin D has been shown in previous studies to reduce the risk of certain types of cancer and promotes calcium absorption, subsequently increasing the strength of bones. Vitamin D deficiency has been shown to lead to osteoporosis, rickets and a host of other health problems. The hormone can be introduced into the body through fatty fish such as salmon, or produced in the skin through sensible sun exposure, leading to its nickname, "the sunshine vitamin."

http://www.newstarget.com/021365.html

Posts: 731 | From Humble,TX | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Member # 9064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave6002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Harvard study finds high vitamin D intake may cut multiple sclerosis risk
Very interesting, this supports that vitamin D is immuno-suppressive, since MS is thought an autoimmune disease.
Posts: 1078 | From Fairland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brentb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6899

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brentb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dave6002:
this supports that vitamin D is immuno-suppressive, since MS is thought an autoimmune disease.

the literature is pointing to chronic infections such as that caused by borrelia as the true culprit to this disease. imo the autoimmune theory has long been debunked.

Now does vitamin D suppress the immune system? (which would indeed help the symptoms of MS)

Don't know but I find it interesting that some here are having herxes on vit D. Thats not immune-suppresion symptoms. Also heres an interesting partial post of an article.

http://www.newstarget.com/021229.html

In the report -- published in the December issue of Epidemiology and Infection -- the researchers posit that the vitamin D stimulated by sunlight may, in turn, cause the body to produce the infection-fighting peptide cathelcidin. No studies been conducted that to show whether cathelcidin effects influenza, but previous studies in the March issue of Science have shown it attacks a range of fungi, viruses and bacteria, including the bacteria that causes tuberculosis.

Posts: 731 | From Humble,TX | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Member # 9064

Although the etiology of MS is not known, it is generally viewed as an autoimmune disease of the CNS. The destruction of oligodendrocyte and myelin sheath in the CNS is the pathologic hallmark of MS.

The borrelia or other infections(viral, bacterial) could be very likely the root of MS.

However, it is definately true that Lyme pathogens have successfully evaded our immune system, by what we don't know.

The pathogens might be able to modify the immune system and cause autoimmune in MS patients.

The pathogen hypothesis of MS etiology may go well with the autoimmune hypothesis. They don't have to contradict each other.

CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VItamin D is prophylactic for certain tyopes of cancer and having too little can be a risk factor for certain types of cancer.

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonja
Member # 10871

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonja     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kelly,

my D level is low and my Doc. wanted me to take 4000 IUD a day. I can't do it, too much pain. If you want, you can read and listen at Ashton Embry's MS website about Vit. D deficiency.

It is: http://www.ms-diet.org

It is a pretty good site altogether.

Hope this helps,

Sonja

Posts: 35 | From Arizona | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Sonja! Hi, friend.

WELL!! We went to the LLMD today. He asked about the vit D experience. We told him after four days, she got very ill and we didn't know if it was a herx or overload.

She only took one 400IU pill each day!

He was very excited and said it meant that she was severely depleted and that he wanted her to work up to 1600 IUs daily by the time he sees her in the next couple of months.

He said his new protocol is to get everyone's D level up before he ever prescribes an antibiotic.

So...on to Herxville USA.

Thanks, Sonja.

Kelly

Sonja
Member # 10871

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonja     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouch!! Careful with the herx and Vit. D overload. Listen to the lecture on the MS site, it's kind of dull but interesting.

Good luck,

Sonja

Posts: 35 | From Arizona | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

It's a good site. Thanks.

Kelly

Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would be verrrrryyyy careful about high doses of Vit. D in a lyme person. I started taking high doses of D on the advice of a very medically savvy friend, and had negative reactions quite soon. When I got my 1,25 D tested, it was at 60 pgm/mL, which is well over the 45 pg/mL maximum!!! I was having hypervitaminosis D!!! There is a list of symptoms of hypervitaminosis D on the Marshall Protocol website.

I cut out the Vit D suppliments completely and cut back on foods containing Vit. D, and these symptoms went away entirely, and many "lyme" symptoms cleared up as well.

Even Adelle Davis in the 1950s and 60s wrote about excess Vit. D and the symptoms, which can be found in her book, Let's Get Well.

The test for 25-D tells you how much "fuel" the body has for making 1,25-D, which is what the body actually uses.

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Iam not sure about vitamin d but melatonin sure kicked my but when I started it for sleeping sver headache then herxed herxed herxed, it didnt last long about 3 days but wow.

Melatonin isnt just a hormone its a superantioxident

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nebula2005
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nebula2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vitamin D: good or bad?

I've tied to take it but I swear it makes me feel funky. I even bought vegetarian (low dose 400mg) because I'm allergic to fish.

A D2 supplement a doctor prescribed made me herx like UGLY.

Almost all research points to D being helpful, and the lack of it being a problem to bone health among other things.

There may reason to avoid it in sarcoidosis, but Lyme Disease is T2 dominant, not T1.

We are such delicate creatures, I've had bad reactions to totally benign things, and can sometimes find no explanation.

Posts: 353 | From Florida boonies | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annxyz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelmo,

Personally I would ABSOLUTELY never want a child to be deficient in VIT D . NEVER. She would be at risk for MS (!!) , depression, colon cancer and breast cancer . This is not just MY OPINION .

I have friends with MS who find after testing they are GROSSLY DEFICIENT . What happens when
they take a bone density test ( even men )?
Their bones are BRITTLE ! Then the doc puts them on VIT D supps, and for a few weeks they feel lousy . Then (!) after several weeks ,
their chronic BONE PAIN DISAPPEARS !!Their pain levels dropped significantly .

When your daughter takes vit D , HER IMMUNE SYSTEM fires UP ( ignites ) because VIT D is
a powerful system natural steroid . When the immune system fires up ina LYME patient , what can you ALWAYS expect ? HERXING FROM HELL , and exacerbations of MOST symptoms.

I know that some here advocate the MP , and I usually keep my mouth shut , but you are talking about a developing child , and may I remind you that there are people who have had HORRIBLE Reactions to the MP ? This is not just my opinion .

I would do a LOT OF RESEARCH on Vit D before assuming that it is good for her to be deficient .

I do not know of any SCIENTIFIC studies that validate " Doctor " ( engineer NOT MEDICINE )
Marshall's thesis that VIT D deficiency is a worthy goal in chronic illness. There are PLENTY of studies that link VIT D deficiency to a lot of LIFE THREATENING DISEASES ( not to mention rickets as she is a child ) .

I wish you the best in your treatment plan for your little one.

To those who advocate the MP , I do not intend to offend , but I am not afraid to say I have a low opinion of " Doctor " Marshall for many reasons .

--------------------
ANNXYZ

Posts: 744 | From Mineola | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anneke
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anneke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is gobs and gobs of research that has come out of Europe and the States in the last couple of years on the enormous benefits of Vit. D supplementation and the costs of Vit. D deficiency. I am much more comfortable going with all the research, than supporting the Marshall Protocol, which has zero professional research to date.

Anneke

Posts: 364 | From California | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with you, Jennifer; I see the Marshall Protocol as unhealthy in general. I really do. I get worried for local people who do it...

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Thank you. She is doing very well with the vitamin D supplementation. Her skin is breaking out, so we assume she is detoxing. She isn't nearly as sick right now as she used to be.

She is feeling it in her bones. She was well enough to go to a small zoo last week. In the Phoenix sunshine!! She was sick for days!! Then, she felt great.

We are encouraged and continuing this protocol. It's a GOOD THING.

Thanks
Kelly

Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

I have read posts here by others who had severe pain that literally disappeared after
treating vitamin D deficiency , just like my friends with MS .

--------------------
ANNXYZ

clairenotes
Member # 10392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairenotes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelmo,

How is your daughter doing? Is she still breaking out from the vitamin D or moved past that?

I posted a topic regarding trouble with daughter's skin and just saw a thread that talks about sunlight as a possible solution. Maybe she is low on vitamin D also.

Thank you,

Claire

Posts: 1111 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

HA...I just responded to that!

Yes, she has a few breakouts around the edge of her face. It's weird. She's just trying to keep the dead skin cells moved so it can continue to release.

Kelly

mjo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7876

Icon 13 posted      Profile for mjo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Avoid vitamin D supplements like the plague. They induce inflammation causing joint pain. All Lyme folk may be D deficient, possibly the body is protecting itself. The small amount of D found in fortified milk might not be enough to cause pain in Lyme infection and sunlight isn't necessarily taken into the body the same as supplements.

Good posts on the harm of over-supplementation. No one has really ever explained all the ways or exactly how Lyme and co-infections cause decreased and increased absorption of oh so many things. Another post?

I find the big push for Vitamin D interesting, like a concerted effort to weed out more "asymptomatic" Lyme folk, a boon for rheumatologists.

Posts: 422 | From Luck home | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwenb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwenb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have just recently started supplementing with Vit D, and did quite a bit of research before I started to do so.

I think you may find the excerpt below interesting. Also D2 is a synthetic form of vitamin D I would stay with D3.

A final note, a lot of cod liver oil supplements have the natural Vit A and D (cod liver oil has naturally very high levels of A and D)stripped out because of concerns about natural levels dramatically exceeding the recommended daily allowance (typically 400 IU of Vit D), an amount which is increasingly considered far far too low. Often synthetic Vit D and A is then put back into the cod liver oil, so you need to be very careful about which cod liver oil you buy.

1,25(OH)2 vitamin D is more difficult and expensive to measure than 25(OH)D; moreover, it is not a good measure of vitamin D status. When patients are vitamin D deficient, the parathyroid hormone increases and drives the renal 1-alpha-hydroxylase, so that 1,25(OH)2 vitamin D levels increase. Only in severe deficiency, when substrate is depleted, does the 1,25(OH)2 vitamin D become low. Partially treated vitamin D deficiency also results in marked elevations of 1,25(OH)2 vitamin D levels.

http://courses.washington.edu/bonephys/opvitD.html

Gwen

Posts: 227 | From vancouver,bc | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Geesh-I was just given a script for 50000 IU of Vitamin D 2 x a week for 8 weeks because an endocrinologist tested me and said I was quite low, i.e. Vitamin d deficient.

When I did a search I came up with this thread-I was hoping it would help me decide-but now I'm so confused. Fortunately I have an LLMD appointment on Monday, March 5 (same day as Betty's hip surgery).

I have a lot of bone or is that muscle pain already-if there's any chance it will help I'm willing to try it but will wait for Doc's input,too.

Carol

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

I have several friends who do no have lyme that are now urged to supplement with vitamin D. The reason is they just don't get enough unprotected sunlight. We, in AZ, slather on the sunscreen, which blocks the absorbtion of D.

If I were you, I would start out slowly on the D. My daughter could only cope with 400IU every other day. She is now up to every day. She is also trying to sit in the sun for ten minutes every day.

The breakouts on her face are actually caused by the toxin overload in her lymph glands. Vitamin D is also a natural antibiotic, so she has been doing some killing.

I would supplement with the D. It's been a good addition.

dguy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8979

quote:
Originally posted by gwenb:
http://courses.washington.edu/bonephys/opvitD.html

From that linked article: "Granulomatous diseases or lymphomas may also produce excess 1,25 (OH)2D"

Granulomatous diseases are related to Lyme, see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9561361&dopt=Abstract

Some facts:
* 1,25D is created from 25D
* supplementing vitamin D will create more 25D, which will be turned into excess 1,25D by the infection
* high 1,25D is injurious

IMO, if you take vitamin D supplements, you should have your 1,25D monitored to avoid it getting too high. Since most Lyme patients already have too much 1,25D, taking supplements that will lead to even more 1,25D is ill advised.

cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelly, I'm bumping this up to see if you'd give us an update on the Vit D situation.

Did your daughter continue to supplement, and how did she tolerate it?

Has it been beneficial?

I tested deficient, and have an Rx for a supplement. This thread has me a bit nervous but also hopeful.

Thanks,
Cactus

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Hi. We just saw our doc last week and told him she was up to 1600IU daily and does he want her to continue, and increase to 3000IU daily.

I don't know about the D,25...whatever, I asked the doc about it and he didn't think it was worth doing all that testing for, if you herx, you are deficient.

She has gone up to 2400 daily and has been herxing a bit.

We have been trying to get out in the sun a little bit, but it's pretty brutal right now.

I think that even though I tested positive for band 41 my symptoms have been kept from getting out of hand due to the fact that I do croswalk duty, and get my 10,000IU daily.

It has made a difference.

Kelly

cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the update, Kelly!

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement