LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Stomach flu - anyone else?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stomach flu - anyone else?
imanurse
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for imanurse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
**If you don't like reading about people's poo, don't read this post. [Wink]

My first grader was complaining of stomach aches off and on for about 10 days and after several school nurse calls to come get him and no vomiting or diarhea I took him to the doc. x rays revealed he was "full of poo". I told him he hasn't been himself, was pale, dark circles under eyes, nauseated, red throat, etc and asked if it could be a virus. Doc said an absolute NO and that my son was holding it and needed a laxative. I told him since he was complaining of stomach pains I had been watching his BM's and he was going every day.

So driving on the way HOME from the doc appt. my son vomits everywhere in the van all over himself, the back of my seat, pretty much erupted like Mt. St Helens. It was quite a site. After that he had watery diarrhea that was clay colored for about 6 days and now is back to his normal self.

In the meantime, my Lymie daughter came down with a sore throat, cough, sinus drainage, then the same nausea, stomach pain, followed by several days of frequent and watery diarrhea.

So last Saturday I got diarrhea too, same symptoms. Except that mine WILL not stop!! I had already been off of antibiotics for one week prior to becoming ill because I ran out and didn't have the $$ for mepron until after New Years.

I did not eat ANYTHING from Saturday to Thursday and I thought I was getting better so I had a sm meal and now I have the runs again!!  -

I heard that lots of people came down with the flu in Iowa over the holidays and also heard the norovirus is circulating.

WHY can't I get over this? I haven't been like this since I was pregnant 6 years ago and had a nasty stomach bug.

Well poo!!! [rant]

I have decided after staring at my bathroom walls for so many days that I need to change my paint color.

Oh, and if your child vomits in your van and it looks like hot dogs, peas, and peaches, your husband WILL shampoo the carpet. If I'd have known that's all it would take.... LOL.

[ 05. January 2007, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: imanurse ]

--------------------
**Eat Chocolate**

Posts: 942 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Might want to read my post over in general. Hubby is in the hospital with a paralytic illeus.

Lyme and the coinfections do love to hang out in the G.I. tract. Add a virus to the mix and you get a big mess.

Hubby had an endoscopy back in August and had gastritis, duodentitis and superficial gastric ulcers. We sent biopsy samples to MDL to test for Lyme, babesia, bartonella and ehrlichia. All came back negative, but there is medical literature to support the fact that all of these bugs can hang out in the G.I. tract.

Have you tried s. boulardii for the diarrhea? Might help. This is a good yeast that helps sometimes even when acidophilus doesn't. Do a search as I have posted about this before.

If nothing else helps you could ask your LLMD to prescribe Amantadine -- it is an antiviral. Also sometimes given to Parkinson's patients. In the past when hubby increased his dose of Amantadine from once a day to twice a day it stopped sporadic diarrhea which had been an ongoing problem for several months.

Diarrhea should never be ignored. Need to get to the bottom of this issue.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jellybelly
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jellybelly   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been going around here. Four of us now with a stomach flu like sutff, only one had the throw ups really bad with stomach pain that was almost go to the hospital worthy. Three of us had lower intestine stuff only.

For me it has been about 2 weeks not real painful, and 3 year old grand daughter went to doc today with severe stomach cramping with constipation and now it has switched to the opposite of that. She is usually very brave so when she was crying out in pain it had us a bit worried.

Doc said there is a lower intestinal thing going around with no vomiting.

Posts: 1251 | From california | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ima, hope you're a major stockholder in TP! [lol]

serously, sorry to read this.

my niece, her brother, their dad, his new wife, 1 or 2 of her adult kids all got sick on 12/24 and xmas day..vomiting and diarrhea; more got sick later on; niece was sick 5-6 days.

it's been all over locally and in nursing home; clinic didn't have any cases yet.

best wishes on feeling better soon. [Big Grin] [group hug]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
imanurse, i need your IOWA help; please read my thread here and would you forward it to your IOWA LYME CONTACTS to see if they have had hip replacements surgery and to answer my questions IF THEY'VE GONE THRU THIS RECENTLY please. [confused]

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=050740#000001

tanks imanurse! [group hug]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ima,

GiGi just recently posted about a product called Destroxin or Zeolite. It is supposed to be superior at resolving diarrhea.

It is not expensive and is non-toxic. You might want to give it a try.

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Ima -

Not sure my boyfriend and I had what you are experiencing, but back in November, we both started having episodes of diarrhea. This is HIGHLY unusual for me. No nausea, just some additional GI discomfort and the diarrhea. This went on for about a month.

I ended up CURING it with 2 weeks of Nature's Answer Oil of Oregano softgels (150 mg. caps), taking 1 softgel, 2 times a day with meals. (I already had some of this - I got it at Vitacost - about $7.00 for a bottle of 90 softgels.)

Neither I nor my boyfriend experienced any significant discomfort from taking the Oregano.

I probably could have stopped after 5 days or so, but continued for 2 weeks since my blood-analysis guy says that 2 weeks of this will kill the parasites in your blood. So, I decided to go ahead and do it for 2 weeks.

Be aware, though, that Oil of Oregano reportedly kills friendly bacteria, too, so if you do this, be sure to hit the probiotics pretty hard after you are finished with the Oregano.

Good luck!

Tracy

[ 06. January 2007, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: Truthfinder ]

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hope4Better
Member # 10075

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hope4Better     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i had that nasty stomach virus over christmas...a bunch of people in maryland and west virginia had this virus...it was aweful...all christmas eve and

christmas day i couldnt get off the couch because of the nausea and stomach cramping not to mention a fever of 102..and diarreaha with no appetite. i didnt even feel like i was in reality.

i thought i was having a relapse but luckily it was only the most aweful stomach virus i could get on christmas..

good luck with it. it only last about 3 days for me..

--------------------
If Your Going Through Hell, Keep Going...

Posts: 99 | From Shepherdstown, WV | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiden424
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aiden424     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the same thing last week. I couldn't eat for 5 days. It was one of the worst stomach bugs I've ever had. My family got it too.

I also had a really bad cold, so I'm not sure if it was all one bug or several. Either way it sucked!!

Hope your all feeling better soon!!

Kathy

--------------------
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Posts: 807 | From South Dakota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jellybelly
Member # 7142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jellybelly   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just spent until 1:30 in the AM in the ER with grand daughter ruling out appendecitis. Severe stomach cramping for 3 full days, still no vomiting and would not eat or drink aything.

They hooked her up to IV for fluids and did a ultrasound and then barium for possible collapsed intestine. Thankfully all came back negative.

Doctor did say that he has seen more weird stomach flu so far this season then he has seen in all of the past 7 years combined. A lot of lower intestinal stuff that goes on for weeks. Happy, joy, joy.

Posts: 1251 | From california | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmyInMI
Member # 9506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AmyInMI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is very interesting to see this bug running so rampant throughout the US. I know here in mid-Michigan, the stomach bug and Norwalk virus is attacking everyone!! I work at a hospital and I would say over 75% of my pateints have been in with abdonimal pain, nausea, and diarrhea... and I work on an Oncology unit!

Make sure you rule out C-Diff though! I recently had these same issues and my GP passed it off as this bug, even though I am on IV Rocephin. 2 weeks later I go to my Infectious Disease doc and find I have C. Diff... needless to say I am taking a break from the IV Rocephin right now!!

Good luck and I hope everyone gets over these nasty issues soon!

-Amy

Posts: 73 | From just outside of Lansing, MI | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
imanurse,

With diarhea for so long, have you spoken to a doctor about it? It can cause serious dehydration.

Also, bad diarhea can always be food poisoning like e. coli. Might want to get some tests.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imanurse
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for imanurse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for your concern. Yesterday no more "D". Yeah!! I knew it wasn't C. diff because I had read warnings about the Norovirus going around and my kids had it before I got this. I did some wonderful reading the past week and it forced me to gets lots of R & R.

Yesterday I had jello and yogurt and today I ate a normal meal. I will go back on my Lyme meds tomorrow. It's amazing how fast the neuro and CNS stuff comes back when I stop my antibiotics.

I heard on the news yesterday that this intestinal flu has hit 46 states over the holidays.

It's the holiday gift that keeps on giving!

--------------------
**Eat Chocolate**

Posts: 942 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laurie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just heard on the news that this bug is, in fact, running rampant thru the U.S.! A couple of weeks before Xmas my 83-yr-old father started at 2 AM with dia. and then about 9 AM started to vomit. I went over to care for him so my mom wouldn't get it -- and a few days later wow, was I sick -- horrible throwing up, but such dia. I thought I was going to have to be hospitalized -- at least 25 trips to bathroom, and I was pretty much crawling by the 15th-16th trip. A fever too. Hard because I live alone but my parents were kindly leaving ginger ale, jello etc. on my doorstep. I never get this stuff (used to when I was a little kid in school, yes, but I'm 50). Was so weak I had to sit on a chair in the shower the next day. Then the Friday before Xmas my 23-yr-old nephew came home from work with it. So that's our family's sad story. I dread ever getting this again......we live in CT by the way.
Posts: 459 | From Connecticut - just across the river from the Lymes (Old Lyme, Hadlyme, East Lyme, South Lyme & Lyme) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panicbegone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10760

Icon 1 posted      Profile for panicbegone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
its scary.
especially for people w/ other issues like us

this is the 2nd year in a row my entire family got it. And we get it like 2-3 times !
Major vomiting....some of us fainted....my grandma who was alive at the time got it to and actually went code blue...she had to be resusitated.

Its harder on the weak ones...like me. I got a horrible burning in the stomach after i vomited so much.

i wish there was a vaccine for it

Posts: 160 | From california | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FightFireWithWater
Member # 5781

Icon 11 posted      Profile for FightFireWithWater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep. Certainly the worst "food poisoning" I have ever experienced. Both ends, sometimes simultaneously! Spent the night on the bathroom floor. The vomiting and diarrhea lasted a good 24 hours. Shivering hands and elsewhere especially before vomiting episodes. Took several days more to regain stamina.
I would seriously consider going to hospital for iv fluids if I had to do over.

If you don't want aspartame with your electrolytes, you can try Glaceau Vitamin-Water: the Green Tea version called "Rescue". Very light, not too sweet. Available at Whole Foods type markets.

Besides tp, I'd recommend laying in fluids, disinfectant wipes, Depends (adult diapers), and extra pairs of clean jammies. (You don't want to be too embarrassed to call 911) [Wink]

[ 11. January 2007, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: FightFireWithWater ]

--------------------
"Help Or Be Helpless" Please visit "Activism" board daily. See the threads regarding the IDSA Guidelines crisis and the threads about Dr. Charles Ray Jones and decide how best to help today!

Posts: 1265 | From does not list | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laurie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish there was a vaccine for it too. I wouldn't take a cruise now -- though I've been on 3 of them and loved every minute. Too much chance of getting sick. A friend called me last night -- she had been throwing up, and when I talked to her today she said her son just started (high school age). I forgot to put this in my previous post -- because I was worried about my dad getting dehydrated, I bought him Pedialyte and made him sip on it. Supposed to help replace your electrolytes. He said it tasted bad, but I think it did the trick on getting him back on the road to recovery, to be honest. Anyway, yes -- when we have Lyme, anything we get we get HARD! [toilet]
Posts: 459 | From Connecticut - just across the river from the Lymes (Old Lyme, Hadlyme, East Lyme, South Lyme & Lyme) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement