LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Itchy from Rosephin?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Itchy from Rosephin?
zals
Member # 10966

Icon 9 posted      Profile for zals   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on IV rosephin via Hickman for 5 months now. In the last month I've noticed that about 10min into infusing I start getting itchy and the itchiness lasts for about an hour after I finish infusing.

I am on a pulse regimen of 2grams 2x a day for 4 days on and 3 days off.

First, am I developing an allergy to rosephin?
Second, what should I do about it?
Third, how can I get the itchiness to go away (besides benadryl - I need to be able to function during the day)? Any natural anti-histamines?

any help would be appreciated.
Gracias -

Zals

Posts: 1 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
welcome zals,

i'm sending you by PM, private message, my newbie's links/advise.

in there is info galore on everything including use CORN STARCH FOR ITCHING! so look for that post and click on the links for additional info/suggestions ok! good luck.

not on rocephin; can't answer any questions there. [Big Grin]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9488

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the exact same thing happen. I tried taking Claritin but that didn't work (I think I've been taking it for too many years!). They finally gave me a prescription for Allegra and that worked really well. I just had to take the Allegra in the morning even though I infused at night. Something in it keeps me awake.

Try the Claritin...that's often given when someone is allergic to Benedryl...and it's easier to get since it's OTC.

Good luck!! Even after starting the Allegra, it took about 2 days before the itching was entirely gone.

Karen

Posts: 154 | From Medford, NJ | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Travlr1
Member # 9681

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travlr1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zals,

You can develop an allergy to a med even after months of no problem dosing. The question that comes to mind is it an immediate hypersensitivity reaction or a delayed hypersensitivity reaction. Immediate ones are easier to fix(allergy desensitivation shots) versus delayed ones requiring immunosuppresive drugs(prednisone,cylclosporin) which us Lymies obviously don't want to take.

You didn't mention if you have any skin lesions while the itching is taking place or even after the infusion.

You should talk to your llmd about this and see about pre medication with Benedryl and Tagamet prior to the infusion.I would also consider having an epinephrine auto injector on hand when you infuse. This is something you don't want to blow off because you can have a full on anaphalactic reaction(airway swelling,fall in blood pressure etc) on the next dose or a hundred doses from now.

If it is the start of a delayed hypersensitivity reaction.. this isn't good either as I have been told by a very bright Allergist that it will eventually lead to a Stevens-Johnson reaction where you essentially slough off you skin(bad) [Eek!]

I hypersensitized on about my 70th dose of Rocephin so I'm not making the above up.The good news is you may be absolutely fine with pre- medication prior to the infusion. [Smile] I wish I was. [cussing]

Take care and good luck,

Travlr1

Posts: 66 | From West Coast | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FightFireWithWater
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5781

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FightFireWithWater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take the itchiness seriously!

I know of a patient whose ears itched intensely after one infusion of Rocephin. Her allergist was dismissive about an allergy, but when she was tested she found she was so allergic she could have died had she had further exposure to Rocephin.

--------------------
"Help Or Be Helpless" Please visit "Activism" board daily. See the threads regarding the IDSA Guidelines crisis and the threads about Dr. Charles Ray Jones and decide how best to help today!

Posts: 1265 | From does not list | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto I would also call my doc asap.

It is very possible to be a medication for a long time & still develope an allergic reaction.

I was on vancomyicin & just had itching. It did turn into closing of my wind pipe & could have died. Nothing to take chances with.

feel better soon [group hug]

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jedibelle
Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jedibelle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the itchiness too, it drove me nuts. I saw an allergist and came up negative. The first round of IV I just pre-treated with claritin/benadryl. The 2nd round (years later) I discovered that as long as I was vigilant with my probiotics and taking diflucan I didn't get itchy at all and stopped pre-treating after the first few weeks. Maybe its caused by the yucky yeasties? I know I felt it the most profoundly in the areas that are, ahem, most prone to yeast...

**Definitely get an Epi-Pen from your doc, if you don't have one already, just as a precaution**

Posts: 41 | From Toronto, formerly of CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement