LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » neuropathy or poor circulation?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: neuropathy or poor circulation?
rlsippel
Member # 1612

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rlsippel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My numbness/pain is getting much worse, especially in my feet. I have already lost surface feeling in my hands(heat, touch, cold feeling) and now my feet are following suit. Has anyone ever had this diagnosed as a circulation problem, rather than a nerve problem? I had pretty good improvment with heparin shots which leads me to believe it is circulation, not nerves. I went off the injectable heparin and tried the oral and saw no improvement, so I sort of gave up on the heparin. Is it that the circulation goes and then the nerves get damaged? I am really frustrated because I have tried Neurontin, pain pills, etc with no improvement. Just don't no where to go from here, kind of burnt out on doctors, although my LLMD is great, he is far away, doens't take medicare(so it is all out of pocket) and as much as I love him, he always is off on some new tangent when I see him. Any experience/suggestions would be apreciated. Thanks.

--------------------
LL

Posts: 14 | From Montgomery City, MO, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
savebabe
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for savebabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My circulation was so poor that my feet and hands would actually turn blue. The nurses also had a hard time drawing my blood because it was so thick. Doc put me on baby asprin and watched my blood sugar, cholesteral and a test that monitored blood clotting
I found that aggressive babs/lyme treatment has really helped along with supplements specifically B-12 and glutathione.
This can be a serious symptom of lyme disease so please be careful.

Posts: 1603 | From ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spookydew
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for spookydew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I probably have no feeling in every part of my body. I even burn my tongue and don't know until next day. I have burned my neck with curling iron and didn't know.

I failed pizza cutter test at neurologist. He told me brain damage but didn't know what caused it. (He doesn't believe we have lyme here)

I quit going to him cause he couldn't help me. I figure it will improve with lyme. I am starting to feel a pinch with my injections so I must be improving.

Oh, and one day I felt my hair move while I was driving and it freaked me out cause I thought it was something else. I hadn't felt it in so long.

I don't know if this is normal lyme or coinfection or some other dreadful disease but I have improved with lyme treatments.

Posts: 290 | From ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tj33
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7214

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tj33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neuropathy in the feet is usually a result of diabetes stage II.

You can buy a blood sugar meter at Walgreens with test strips at a reasonable price (under $50).

Good levels are 100-120
questionable levels 120-180
bad levels 180-200 see a doctor
Over 200 very bad
250-300+ go to nearest ER.

Junk Carbs (donuts, cake, cookies, white bread) are very bad.
Mild diabetes can be controlled with diet and medication (500mg Metformin) twice a day...

If you are having pain flashes in your feet (serious needles and pins), there is a treatment with UV light that can stop the flashes but the neuropathy will not go away. You probably will have to live with it.

Another very important thing to do is to stop drinking all sodas especially diet. Aspartame in diet soda will cause neuropathy in hands...

Coconut cooking oil improve blood sugar. Stop using all veggie and man made cooking oils.

Signs of high blood sugar are, headaches, very moody and a nasty disposition, no energy, too tired to do anything but sleep...

Use the blood sugar meter to discover what foods set you off. In general carbs are bad.

My wife had to stop eating bread. She lives on eggs and meat, some veggies not a lot, and is doing very well.

When the blood sugar is below 100 ( hypoglycemia ) watch out for weakness in muscles, dizzyness, very hungry. There will be a point that you will pass out. That point depends on the person. Mine is 80 some can be lower. I carry a candy bar or glucose tablets to take when I feel it coming on.

But with a careful diet and the Metformin pills I haven't had a problem in years... My sugar levels now average around 110 (very good).

Take meter readings before breakfast, just before lunch, and just before dinner. Readings should be no less than 4 hours apart... The kind of foods you eat will make a big difference.

Keep detail records so you can show the doctor. Also a doctor should have A1C blood test done, Under 6 is good 6-7 you should be on meds. Over 7 you will have to take insulin shots (not fun).

Worst case:
This neuropathy should be looked at carefully by a doc. It can lead to serious problems with feet. Poor circulation can lead to gangrene (sores that won't heal) in toes. The only cure is to remove the toes... If allowed to go to far you can loose your entire foot...

Is there a Lyme connection? Don't know for sure, but the blood sugar must be stabilized first.

Tj

Posts: 192 | From Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rlsippel
Member # 1612

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rlsippel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My docs have checked me for diabetes, supposedly I don't have that problem. I wonder though, because I have some of the other symptoms. I'll try your suggestion, maybe home testing will help me figure it out. I saw my neuro doc yesterday and I do have fine nerve loss and she is going to do some more tests. Thanks for the suggestions everyone, Laurie

--------------------
LL

Posts: 14 | From Montgomery City, MO, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement