LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » American Lyme Disease Foundation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: American Lyme Disease Foundation
Areneli
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Areneli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody knows more about this questionable organisation? Are they secret extension of IDSA?

Who does support them financialy? For sure not us, patients.

Any thoughts or info?

Posts: 1538 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Secret extension would be believable for me!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shill organization for the IDSA.

Check out their advisory board or panel.

Sickening.

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ALDF was known amongst us Lymies as the ANTI-LDF when they began*!(*)!*)! It was led by David Weld who just died and some of us were hoping the org would fold but it appears to have transitioned his death... Too bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Member # 6740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Areneli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who is paying for their harmful activity?
Posts: 1538 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ldfighter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ldfighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good question. I'd like to know more about their corporate sponsorship. Apparently they've gotten some funding directly from the CDC.

This is US Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-NY) in 2001, addressing Congress:
"Recently, the ALDF, in collaboration with the Dutchess County Department of Health and the Institute of Ecosystem Studies in Millbrook, NY, received a grant of $300,000 for the first of a three year grant period from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to institute a community-based integrated management plan to significantly reduce reported cases of Lyme disease and other tick-borne infections within a target community."

And this link shows that they received over $45,000 in government grants in 2004. http://tinyurl.com/3xafcx

[ 09. February 2007, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: ldfighter ]

Posts: 621 | From US | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ldfighter, the tinyurl link doesn't work to bring up the page.

Interesting choice of words
Not to reduce lyme disease but to
"... significantly reduce reported cases of Lyme disease"

That's certainly been the goal of the IDSA all along. To keep the *reported* cases of lyme disease down. I'm sure that's not how they meant for this to come across but it rings true to me.
Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
northstar
Member # 7911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for northstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting choice of words
Not to reduce lyme disease but to
"... significantly reduce reported cases of Lyme disease"

Terry, that comment screamed to me, too.

Snake tongues.

Interesting, but was this about the same time that Conn. stopped or reduced reporting? (well, it was one of those states).

Northstar

Posts: 1331 | From hither and yonder | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This organization was set up to confuse the public. As a direct counter to the previously established Lyme Disease Foundation, whose founders were parents of a child who died from lyme.

It is Steere and his buddies, basically. The corporate people involved may not even know the anti-lyme focus of the group. I think they are just trying to do their charitable work, and were approached by people with high sounding credentials. That is my take anyway.

I think this group was also behind the production of two publications that used the titles of already published books that were helpful with lyme info, like Denise Lang's book and Karen Forschner's. Exact same titles, you can find them on amazon. This is possible because titles can't be copyrighted. How sleezy is this?

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ldfighter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ldfighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry about the bad link, you can get the pdfs here (Congressional Record statement from Rep. Carolyn Maloney - ALDF receiving $300,000 from CDC)

p. 1: http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getpage.cgi?dbname=2001_record&page=E681&position=all

p. 2: http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getpage.cgi?dbname=2001_record&page=E682&position=all

Posts: 621 | From US | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Member # 6740

I flirt with the idea of "stealing" their corporate sponsors by explaining them the situation.

The money could be used for good purpose.

Can we somehow get their list of corporate sponsors?

lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the list of corporate people associated, don't think it would be accurate to call them sponsors. List has probably changed from a couple of years back. Do you think the average corporate exec has better than average ethics and could be appealed to? Have my doubts. One of their meetings at a fancy NYC hotel was picketed several years ago. Didn't seem to have discouraged these corporate people.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
csperanza
Member # 9613

Icon 1 posted      Profile for csperanza     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
forgive my ignorance, but what i've never understood is why the giant pharmaceutical companies would lobby on the side of treating lyme patients more aggressively since it would mean selling more abx. what am i missing?
Posts: 56 | From southeastern PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Member # 6740

csperanza,

I am sure that they wouldn't mind selling more antibiotics. Who wouldn't?
However they are not united. Pretty much each abx is produced by a different company/competitor. If one starts promoting long term treatment for Lyme Disease the whole promotion will benefit also their top class competitors and generic drugs manufacturers while competitors and the manufacturers wouldn't suffer any cost of the promotion.

This is a very good reason of not doing it at all.

Also big pharmaceutical companies like medical tests.
You treat somebody who is positive in test and after a treatment they are negative and healthy.
In LD they cannot use tests in this clean way so the whole long treatment may look questionable in a public eye. They don't want to be accused of being unscientifical as they reputation and sales might suffer.

Anybody has other views?

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csperanza:
forgive my ignorance, but what i've never understood is why the giant pharmaceutical companies would lobby on the side of treating lyme patients more aggressively since it would mean selling more abx. what am i missing?

They may also consider that if the person is chronically ill they will consume MANY more pharmaceuticals than if they were treated and "cured" with abx.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Areneli:

Anybody has other views?

Well, somewhere around 400,000 people in the US suffer from "chronic fatigue syndrome."

Estimates are that 5% of the population suffers from "fibromyalgia."

If a HUGE percentage of these people really have lyme (and I am certain that is so), doctors are not only going to have egg on their faces but are going to lose patients.

Fibro and CFS patients get a LOT of drugs and lifelong doctoring.

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doc
Member # 14471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
exactly the reason m&m , treat sx . not cure the sick no $ in that. Doc
Posts: 95 | From nys | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Lyme Disease Association would be one.

See the link on the left side of the screen?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ALDF members are perhaps the foremost spirochetes' rights

activists of our generation.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

I've actually written them a couple of times concerning some of the gross inaccuracies on their website.

Almost every ridiculous assertion on their disinformation site can be refuted with peer reviewed research.

Fortunately, I have not been holding my breath waiting for a response.

Michelle

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JB,

as tutu said, LYME DISEASE ASSN. led by Pat Smith

and LYME DISEASE RESEARCH CENTER, COLUMBIA UNIV., NYC ...

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement