LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » very sore upper abdomen???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: very sore upper abdomen???
timaca
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6911

Icon 5 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all~ A couple of times now I've had a VERY SORE upper abdomen...just under my sternum. Very bloated feeling...hurts to push on it, and I can't eat. I feel stuffed.

I did have C. diff for 11 months, and I do likely have post-infectious IBS (constipation)...but this is a new and troubling symptom.

Anyone else have this? I'm trying to figure out if this is lyme related or post C. diff related.

Anyone have a link to the article Bell's Palsy of the Gut?? I remember reading it once, but can't find my hard copy...

Thanks...Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtistDi
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistDi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not a doctor, but my doctors have said that
symptoms of ulcers can be right under the sternum,
with pain.

Posts: 1567 | From Hatfield, MA, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Timaca,

I have this also, but it actually feels like my diaphragm hurts.

Not sure about this as this is a relatively new symptom for me.

My lower abdomen is really bloated too.

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here is the article:
Cranial nerves and Bells Palsy of the Gut
http://www.geocities.com/playpub/LD-Cranial-Nerves.htm

I had that kind of pain with my gallbladder. That was the first place for the pain to show up.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the article! It could be reflux, i get that sorenes under my sternum, and esophageal spasm too. The post infectious IBS is such a miserable diagnosis, I am wondering if it is true myself! So frustrating! Are you on the probiotics?
 -

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Wildcondor~ Yes, I take some probiotics...not much though, as they tend to constipate me, and the C. diff left me with constipation! Geesh! One extreme to the other!

So, I take one probiotic daily, eat one yogurt daily and take one Florastor daily....

Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetoo~ Thanks for the article!

[Wink] Timaca

TNJanet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10031

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNJanet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll add that I have had this symptom for a number of years and my PCP suggested that it was my diaphragm being sore because of difficulties

with connective tissues. This was when my primary diagnosis was fibromyalgia. Now I have different symptoms to the right of this area

although my diaphragm is still very sore. I have the distended stomach (I look the same coming or going....lol) and a distinct hard and sore area

to the left of the diaphragm which I am being told is my liver. I see a gastro doc next week for that. I think that Lyme wreaks havoc on our

entire digestive tracts and the symptoms come and go in these areas a LOT. Hope you find the answers you are looking for!

All my best,
Janet

--------------------
DISCLAIMER:
No information presented above should be considered medical advice or take the place of advice given by a medical professional. Links to other sites are provided merely for ease of research.

Posts: 287 | From Tennessee | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ever been checked for a HIATAL HERNIA in that area? i have one and get the feelings you described! [Big Grin]
timaca
Member # 6911

This are all interesting suggestions. I talk with my LLMD and see my PCP next week, so I'll bring up my occasional weird abdominal issue.

Timaca

lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i first had this symptom 20 or so years ag when they first put me on ibuprofen for
"rheumaoid arthritis" ( a yr later my dx was changed to fibro and 10 yrs after that to lyme)

i got the pain as soon as i switched to the long acting ibu-i immediately stopped it and have only used regular ibu since-always with food---always trying to cut back...but it seems w/o some ibu i really can't walk

anyway-i also have hist of ibs. last may-when i started a long summer of travel-i started to get bloating, pain, pretty much all over my abdomen-except the worst was always just below my sternum a little to the left. i have a nodule there-many docs say it is just a fatty tumor-but it gets worse with eating-they say-probably when gut is full it puts pressure on it.

soooo...i am responding because after my summer of travel things calmed sown a little-and i thought it was cuz i was off my schedule-not always eating right or getting suppps etc---but in janualy the symptoms-bloating. pain all over abd-came back and i got serious about figuring it out.

i still don't have an answer-but this is what happened.

set up gyn and gi appts-did (inside) ultrasound of gyn stuff-they screwed up and no results-i have to do it over-what was significant is i have had that done before and never had pain-this time i had pain and it was like my ibs. soo..gyn exam and endometrial bio were neg and i am rexheduled for ultrasound

gi doc says not ulcer...probably milk or gluten allergy-so i am experimenting with diet---also endo and colonoscopy scheduled

llmd is testing adrenals, cd57, took regular blood work, me off thyroid med for a month wants to test me off of it(i'ven been on 6-7 yrs)-he's also ordered electro-dermal screening(and i am looking for info on this) and he's talking about low iodine...

AND THEN....tues feb 6 i had emerg appendectomy

the bloating and pain could have been coming from that...the severe pain is gone(two weeks later) but i do still have a residual uncomfortableness-so i don't think i am out of the woods-abscess can be a problem. but we are also looking for food allergies and / or a gyn type cancer...

i have had reflux 6 yrs-controlled with prevacid(i hate taking it but all my docs insist i will die if i don't)

i do have a hiatal hernia

colon cancer in family (and breast)

i am very interested in this post cuz you are describing a symptom i have had for over 20 yrs that is becoming acute again...so if anyone has anything to add to help me figure this out-please let me know.

i just want to give my bod a few more weeks beore i do those 3 invasive tests.

sorry-about the ramble...hope someone understands what i am saying. lp

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7070

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timaca,
I developed these same symptoms while on IV rocephin.

Distended belly, pain in upper abdomen, felt full and bloated. Symptoms were aggravated a few hours after eating.

Turned out to be Pancreatitis....but gall bladder was OK.

Have you had your Amylase and Lipase checked? These are the pancreatic enzymes that should not be elevated.

My dr. says Rocephin is not known to cause Pancreatitis, so thought it was due to BB being killed off in that organ.

LC

Posts: 116 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doomer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11013

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I experience the same symptoms from bloating, constipation, shooting pain around ribs and lower into pelvic pain and worse after eating.

I attribute it all to lyme, I had all of the expensive, useless testing prior to my lyme, erlichiosis and babs dx.

I take probiotics, and for the constipation, psyillum, senna, ready fiber. I'm hoping it will get better with treatment.

I'm not sure what is causing the gi distress, is it the lyme or one of the coinfections. Hopefully it goes away soon!

Posts: 188 | From ID | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quoting kayak...

gi doc says not ulcer...probably milk or gluten allergy-so i am experimenting with diet---also endo and colonoscopy scheduled ....

i had food allergy testing done by MERIDIAN VALLEY who tested 95 foods, and found i'm allergic to:

gluten .... wheat and rye;

casein --- cow's milk, cheese, egg whites, ^ garlic!

i had 2 endos with them finding nothing!
"an unknown mass" so i had to repeat. when they did colon polyp and appendix surgery, i had them check that area. OUTCOME: PIECE OF FAT!! he never checked for LYME in that area. i didn't know i had it until 2.5 yrs. ago; 34 yrs. too late!

colonoscopy; good thing to have them put you out completely. i was aware of things 1st time. had anesthetiologist, sp, put me out 2nd time. didn't know a thing had taken place that time!

good luck. [group hug] [kiss]

bpeck
Member # 3235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bpeck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the normal location of your gall bladder.

And bloated (or feeling uncomfortable after eating) are also gall bladder symptoms of malfunction.. Biliary sludge will also make it feel very hard.. and if bad enough, your feces will be sort of colorless - or sandy color.

Your Doctor should be able to help you understand if it's your gall bladder or not.

Barb

Posts: 1875 | From VT | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bejoy
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A little FYI - liver and gallbladder to the right under the ribs, and spleen to the left.

Hiatal hernia can be treated without meds, for some people, if you choose, by a good cranial sacral therapist or chiropractor. If you're sure that's the problem, you'd have to ask the praactitioners first if they know how to do it.

Sometimes GI distress can come from a food intollerance. We tend to get new ones after a long bout with candida and leaky gut syndrome.

Pain on both sides under ribs, along with upper back pain can be adrenal stress.

bejoy

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I should have mentioned that I have a positive history for pancreatitis.

My first bout was when I was 36 weeks pregnant with my son. Difficult to ascertain if my abdomen was bloated as I was so pregnant.

I kept telling my OB, that I felt like I was having gall bladder attacks....but my gall bladder had already been removed.

I had significant indigestion, reflux, and tasted bile in my mouth.

The day I was hospitalized, I had very sharp pains right under/below my sternum.

Hurt to take in a good breath. Liver enzymes were way out of wack.

They wanted to scope me, but couldn't as I was pregnant.

I was NPO (without food/drinks orally) for four days! Only an IV. I would have attacked someone for some food.

A residual of this attack was severe diarrhea which lasted for about 5 days.

I don't mean to be gross, but it looked like and felt like bile coming out of my body.

When I first became very ill, I thought great, I am having a pancreatic attack.

Abdominal ultrasound was completely normal as were liver enzymes.

The GI doctor surmised that when my gall bladder was removed for stones, they had left a stone behind.

It travels sometimes between the common bile duct and the pancreas.

I have had only one attack since then. It was exactly one year to the date of the first one.

It went away in 4-5 days with a very light and bland diet (like baby food).

This pain I have is different.

Of course I still would recommend it being checked out by a doctor.

Hope your feeling better soon.

I am going to be looking at my liver enzymes very carefully when I see my LLMD next (March 7), just to be sure!

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement