LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » which abx combos treat bart?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: which abx combos treat bart?
cactus
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which abx (or combinations of abx) target bartonella? What types of doses are necessary?

I'm currently on 500 mg levaquin and pulsing tindamax, but from what I've read it seems that some of my past abx should have also lowered my bart load over the past 2 years (zith, biaxin, ketek and many more).

Just curious about other options because levaquin's pretty rough for me. Feels like I'm back-sliding.

Thanks for any input or ideas.

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up for help from day members...
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zith and Rifampin are a good combo.

I can tell you that adding vitamin D has REALLY kicked it into gear. I think it's more helpful if you have an autoimmune titer with it.

Kelly

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hiya cactus buddy!

levaquin is the preferred choice right now no matter what. and the matter what is the tendonitis issues. Still LLMDs are convinced it is the only way to really kill the bart.

What type of backsliding? are you herxing? period? stress? (who doesnt have stress huh?) could it be that it is working? Arent you tired of asking these same questions over and over?

trails

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the bump, Betty!

Kelly, thanks for the info - how much vitamin D did you add, and in what form - if you don't mind my asking?

Trails, great to hear your voice - hope you're making progress & doing well.

...You ask the right questions - maybe I'm herxing, maybe it's working... ouch. Yep, lots of stress, rainy weather too...

Had a tendonitis issue and stopped levaquin for a month, then, wham, got the bart streaky rash for the first time - now I've been back on the lev for about 3 weeks, and the pain is excruciating, but not tendonitis so I've been toughing it out.

Can't stand up today though - scary. (Maybe I'm just whining & looking for an easier answer - what a wimp I am...)

Breaking out the 55515,
Cactus

--------------------

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did Levaquin/zithromax...then cipro/biaxin, then Rifampin.
caat
Member # 2321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for caat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did 500mg rifampin, 500mg zith and 400mg doxycycline for 4 months. With flucanazole for yeast. Got rid of it.

I added the doxy myself and didn't tell the doc till after. I might NOT have needed the doxy. At the time I thought that zith didn't cross the bbb and I had meningitis. Since then I found that while zith is not found in CNS fluid, it IS found in brain tissue.

Posts: 1436 | From Humboldt county ca usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Thanks for sharing this info, WildCondor and Caat...

I've done zith and biaxin (separately) - both were in combination with mepron, for babs. Have never tried rifampin.

It's good to know there are more options, if this one doesn't work out - thank you.

--------------------

kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Cactus. Got your PM, it touched my heart.

The vitamin D was started at 400IU, the lowest. After four days she had a major herx. She started it again a couple of weeks later, and took it every other day.

She is now up to 800IU daily, and sitting in the sun for ten minutes (that gets you at least 10,000IU).

We haven't talked for a while, but I think the doc wants her to up her supplement (she takes cod liver oil and another dry form capsule) to 16,000

Boy, did you all really take that many in combination for one bacteria? That sounds like a canon blast.

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did rifampin and ketek for four months, and it worked. Also took buckets of liver support.

Rifampin is a miracle drug, but the herx is a kicker, and can last up to six weeks.

jasonsmith
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jasonsmith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rifampin vs. Zythromax ???
Posts: 310 | From TN | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Hi Kelly - thanks for the info on the Vit D. Think I'll start slowly, after hearing about your daughter!

Liz, thanks, I haven't been on Rifampin yet - not sure if my LLMD has it in mind for later, but I'm going to ask about it at the next appt.

For now, I'm only on Levaquin. Seems like most are combining 2 abx for bart treatment, though... (Wonder if I'm the only one on just levaquin?!)

Jason - not sure which is more effective, sounds like zith and rifampin make a good combo together.

If anyone finds the magic bart bullet, I'd love to hear about it!

Cactus

--------------------

valymemom
Member # 7076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son is going to pulse in this manner. Rifampin on Monday - Friday. Zith on weekends/only and doxi everyday. His new llmd says this has been successful.
Posts: 1240 | From Centreville,VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valymemom
Member # 7076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cactus

I had success with levaquin and ceftin. I first did this combo for nine weeks and then ten months later combined it again for two months.

I don't see the same llmd as my son.

Posts: 1240 | From Centreville,VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shoney
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shoney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did the same as valymom's son. Rifampin Mon-Fri with doxy, zith on weekends. Rough herx in the beginning
Posts: 561 | From eastcoast | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
savebabe
Member # 9847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for savebabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My insurance did not cover levaquin, so my llmd put me on cipro. It has only been a week, but the herx has been pretty intense.

This is actually my second round of bart treatment. I guess this bug is harder to kill than orginally thought.

Posts: 1603 | From ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement