LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What *can* I eat???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What *can* I eat???
SarahL
Member # 11452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SarahL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I'm on doxy and am doing the probiotic and very very little sugar thing, but I eat VERY little meat and barely even that. Most weeks I have no meat at all. I'm allergic to shellfish and can't stomach any other fish.

What can a vegetarian eat on this nearly-no-sugar diet?

No rice, potatoes, fruit, bread, yeast??

Are there any fruits I *can* eat??

Anyone have a good book or website on vegetarian no sugar diets?

Even recipes or just lists of foods would be helpful! My lymebrain can't think of anything but sugary, starchy foods (isn't that always the way)?

Sorry if this has been discussed but when I searched I didn't find any threads on it.

Thanks,
Sarah

Posts: 91 | From East TN | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wenan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wenan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sarah. if you really want to do the whole candida diet and do it vegetarian, I think it is tough. I think that Lymetoo posted some great info just recently on the diet. I have found a fish I can tolerate - sole -- very mild -- if you have a Trader Joe's near you you can get it wild caught and cheap.

some of the legumes you need to watch out for - they are starchy. I had introduced potatoes and rice back in my diet recently and it was not a good idea. My sweet cravings came back, so I am back on the diet in a big way - I do cheat and have almond flour muffins with a little honey in it.

You may want to watch out for soy. I just found out that for some of us with gut issues - which it sounds like you have, soy will convert to MSG when it sits around -- not a good thing. Bioresonance testing showed I had scary levels of MSG -- I was macrobiotic for a long time. sorry, not much help here. I will see what else i can come up with for you.

Posts: 104 | From connecticut | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bejoy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried some of the whole grains, cooked like rice? I love quinoa, Kashi, and brown rice. Some health food stores have whole grain yeast free breads.

My staple dinner has been:
a whole grain,
a mix of steamed vegetables like chinese cabbage, broccoli, and red peppers,
some legumes like black beans, or some organic meat.
Add sauce of your choice, including Bragg's liquid aminos, Thai peanut sauce (low on the sugar), coconut curry sauce, etc.

Protein shakes for breakfast are great, if you can make one you like without fruit. Dairy whey tastes great if you can tolerate dairy. You'd have to find a variety that has sugar substitutes in it. Maltitol is usually pretty good. Then you can sneak in some of the other less appealing things like green powders and flax oils, etc.

Lunch for me has looked like a huge tupperware filled with lettuce, raw vegetables, nuts, eggs, canned beans, pickled artichoke hearts, and vinaigrette.

I have heard that salty vinegary things like pickles and Japanese pickled plums help cut down sugar cravings for some people.

Agave nectar is a sweetener with a low glycemic index. Its probably not a good choice for a candida diet, but would be much better than refined sugar.

Splenda is supposed to be safe for candida, but you have to be careful of taking artificial sweeteners without consuming calories at the same time. They'll raise your insulin and make you crash when there is no sugar for the insulin to use.

Can you consider some organic meat? I personally found I couln't stay healthy with lyme on a vegetarian diet in the long run, but maybe you can.

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanilla
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I eat a lot of lentil soup unfortuantely canned (Amy's organic) but I add cilantro to it which is good for toxins.

Stay away from vinegar. I like brown rice noodles with veggies and goat cheese on top of it. You might want to stay away from grains including brown rice and just eat protein and veggies for a bit before adding in grains. Later you can add in apples and apple sauce and pears.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SarahL
Member # 11452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SarahL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gah! I'm not ungrateful, believe me - all the help and advice I can get is good, but I'm confused now.

I'm getting conflicting advice and I don't know what is right! Can I eat brown rice and vinegar, or are they bad for the candida diet?

Does anyone have an actual book or website that specifically addresses a candida diet?

I just don't have the energy to type and read and research this right now or I'd look more myself. If I have a book name I can send hubby to the bookstore or library.

Sorry to bother you guys with this, but like I said, no energy and barely able to type as it is.

Thanks again,
Sarah

Posts: 91 | From East TN | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MagicAcorn
Member # 8786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MagicAcorn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vegetarian Diet

The Scarsale Vegetarian Diet, though effective, is not as fast a way to lose weight than following the traditional SMD and substituting any meat, poultry, fish, seafood, egg or cheese proteins listed at the bottom of this page.

THE SCARSDALE VEGETARIAN DIET

Observe the basic Scarsdale Diets Basic Rules as they apply to you.

Recipes for dishes marked with an asterisk* appear on the recipe link on the bottom of this page.

VEGETABLES NOT PERMITTED on the SCARSDALE VEGETARIAN DIET
Avocados,
Dry Beans (baked beans, lentilsm dry white beans, red kidney beans, lima beans, chick peas, black-eyed peas, etc; except soybeans, which are permitted in the Vegetarian diet),
Sweet potatoes/Yams

SUBSTITUTE MEALS PERMITTED
Any day, for lunch or dinner, you may substitute for menus in this chapter a hot or cold vegetable plate, any vegetable you like-except for those not permitted, mentioned in the opening of this chapter.
Accompany vegetables with one baked potato sprinkled with salt and chives, if desired.
Or, 1/2 cup boiled rice may be substituted for potato.
Or, 1 slice protein bread, toasted with no-sugar jam or jelly, if desired
Or, you may have 4 oz. cooked soybeans instead (1 ounce uncooked)
On salads, you may use lemon or vinegar or any of the Scarsdale Diet dressings.

BREAKFAST EVERY DAY:
1/2 grapefruit or other fruit in season
1 slice of protein bread, toasted, spread with no-sugar jam or jelly, if desired
Tea/coffee/herb tea (no sugar, cream or milk)

MONDAY

Lunch:
*Watercress (or broccoli) soup
Baked potato with low-fat cottage cheese & chives
OR
1 oz. uncooked/ 4 oz. cooked soybeans
6 halves of walnuts or pecans
*Baked Apple Oscar
Tea/coffee/herb tea

Dinner:
2 slices cheese of your choice on lettuce
*Ratatouille
Artichoke hearts (no oil), cucumbers, radishes
1 slice protein bread, toasted
Canteloupe or watermelon or sliced orange
Tea/coffee/herb tea

TUESDAY

Lunch:
Fruit Salad -as much as you wantany kind of fruit with lettuce, celery
1 slice of protein bread, toasted spread with no-sugar jam or jelly, i desired
Tea/coffee/herb tea

Dinner:
*Apple-Nut Acron Squash
Hot or Cold Vegetables, cauliflower, carrots, tomatoes, all you want
4 olives
Tea/coffee/herb tea

WEDNESDAY

Lunch:
*Stuffed Tomato
Broiled mushrooms, zucchini and carrots
1 slice of protein bread toasted
Tea/coffee/herb tea

Dinner:
*Asparagus (or cauliflower, or broccoli) Au Gratin
*Hawaiian Fruit-Nut Squash
Green salad and tomatoes
Tea/coffee/herb tea

THURSDAY

Lunch:
Low-fat cottage cheese with sliced scallions, radishes, cucumbers
Olives
1 slice of protein bread toasted
OR
1oz uncooked/4oz cooked soybeans
Apple
Tea/coffee/herb tea

Dinner:
*Scarsdale Eggplant Parmesan
Green salad with choice of Scarsdale Diet low-calorie dressings
Fresh fruit cup with squeeze of lemon or lime, minced mint leaves
Tea/coffee/herb tea

FRIDAY

Lunch:
Assorted cheese slices
Spinach
Peach or pear
Tea/coffee/herb tea

Dinner:
Onion bouillion, with
*Protein croutons
*Stewed vegetables
No-sugar applesauce with 6 walnuts orpecans
Tea/coffee/herb tea

SATURDAY

Lunch:
Fruit salad, any kind, as much as you want, with low-fat pot cheese or cottage cheese, on lettuce or other greens
1 slice of protein bread, toasted
Tea/coffee/herb tea

Dinner:
*Vegetable Cheese Casserole served with
1/2 cup no-sugar applesauce sprinkled with 1 tablespoon raisins
Sliced Tomatoand lettuce with vinegar and lemon dressing or *Scarsdale Diet dressing
Tea/coffee/herb tea

SUNDAY

Lunch:
*Stuffed tomato (with stuffing #3; no rice, no potato)
Boiled or mashed potato (no butter) with 1 tablespoon low-fat sour cream and chives
OR
1 oz uncooked/ 4 oz cooked soybeans
Stewed fruit; use sugar substitute if desired
Tea/coffee/herb tea

Dinner:
*Chow mein on rice
Salad of lettuce, sliced tomatoes
Sliced pineapple or pineapple chunks ( if canned, packed in its own juice or water- not sugar sweetened syrup)
Tea/coffee/herb tea

SCARSDALE MEDICAL DIET- SUBSTITUTE LUNCH
for any lunch, any day, on the Scarsdale Vegetarian Diet.
1/2 cup low-fatpot cheese or cottage cheese
Sliced fruit, all you want
One tablespoon of low-fat sour cream topping or mixed with the fruit
6 halves of walnuts or pecans, chopped and mixed with or sprinkled over the fruit
Coffee/tea/no-sugar diet soda of any flavor

REPEAT THE DAILY MENUS for your second week on the Scarsdale Vegetarian Diet

AFTER YOUR TWO WEEKS on the Scarsdale Vegetarian Diet, if you still want to lose more pounds to get down to your desired weightm go on two weeks of Keep-Trim Eating, adapting to your regulations. Following that period, return to two more weeks on the vegetarian diet.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1279 | From In hiding | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This might help.

http://www.wholeapproach.com/diet/

--------------------
Now, since I put reality on the back burner, my days are jam-packed and fun-filled. ..........lily tomlin as 'trudy'

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairenotes
Member # 10392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairenotes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sarah -- I would like to be a vegetarian, but I have never found a way to do so without greatly compromising my health due to this illness. Because fungus/yeast is an issue that comes up off and on in the treatment of lyme (or as pre-existing issue) it does seem best for all of us to stay on a yeast-free diet.

I cannot tolerate rice, beans (except in the smallest of amounts), rice pasta, etc. I cannot tolerate soy... and not sure it is such a great health food anyway.

I can tolerate potatos and/or winter squash (butternut) with a little olive oil drizzled on top (to slow the rush). I do eat a lot of different vegetables, steamed or sauteed with the potatos, or in stews. Maybe some thick root and veggie stews in a slow cooker?

Avocados constitute my breakfast in addition to whey protein drinks. I can tolerate Van's frozen wheatfree waffles for some reason. Again, it helps if I pair it with a fat (avocado in this case).

The whey protein drinks really help with various cravings and help fill protein needs. I do find I need to eat less meat, maybe only one serving per day.

I just started being able to tolerate sunflower seeds, only if soaked overnight, and lightly roasted with sea salt. But you may be able to tolerate other nuts as well, which could really help your situation. Look into soaking overnight, and roasting as a way to better tolerate them if you do experience problems.

I can eat eggs maybe 2-3 times per month with a fresh corn tortilla and a little mild salsa. I think the lime in the tortilla helps keep it less prone to molds, etc.

I hope this helps...

Claire

Posts: 1111 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stevia is a safe sweetener with no effect at all on your insulin level. You can get it at any healthfood store or online. I've used it for more than a decade and it does not increase my cravings.

Doctors For Nutrition makes Dream Protein, a great whey product with Stevia as the sweetener. Their Greens First product is also sweetened with Stevia, so it actually tastes yummy, instead of horrid, like most greens powders. I am not a sales person for them....my TCM doctor put me on their products, and I love them.

For me, the only way to avoid meats is to eat a lot of no fat cottage cheese and organic non fat plain yogurt. In order to do that, I spend $30 per month on Lactase pills, but I just can't stomach eating much flesh. I also take an amino acid supplement and I do eat some tuna in water, avoiding albacore tuna, since it has too much mercury.

Unfermented soy is bad for your thyroid. It's best to stick to Miso and tempeh if you eat soy.

My doctor told me vinegar is bad for yeast, but very good for cleaning your liver, so I guess it is a trade-off. I hate the stuff, so that makes it an easy choice for me.

Good luck. I know it's confusing!

Klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a diet plan also:

Candida diet and elimination:
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/021412.html

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I eat whatever and am doing great*)!*)!
Just so you know it doesn't doom you
if you falter here & there*)!*)!

Best wishes,
Sarah O.

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stella marie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stella marie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SarahL,

I'm in same boat as you being a vegetarian. And when I say that it means.... no meat whatsoever.

It's funny some people assume chicken and fish are not meat.

I never liked the taste or texture of any carcass.

It's hard, it's boring and I cheat fequently.

--------------------
Stella Marie

Posts: 694 | From US | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement