LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Exceptional reporter, newspaper and Lyme coverage

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Exceptional reporter, newspaper and Lyme coverage
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many reporters and newspapers provide continuing and extensive Lyme coverage that is fair and balanced?

We've got to thank the Star Democrat in Easton, MD and their 8 "sister papers" for their continuing coverage of Lyme related issues.

Steve Nery, as always continues to print factual articles to help us spread the word. They are indepth, regular and extensive.

In addition....

Another new reporter joined this week by publishing a personal look at her families struggles with Lyme disease. She is from a "sister paper", the Times Record in Denton, MD.

And another good reporter, Konrad Surowiec, from the "sister paper", the Record Observer, in Queen Anne County, covered a presentation to our Delegates and wrote a good article.

And... there was a letter to the editor in the same paper about Lyme disease!!!

That is absolutely amazing considering this topic has so much trouble getting coverage.. and has for 30 years!!

If you would care to drop a short note to the reporters and newspaper and thank them for their fair coverage, it wouldn't hurt and I am sure they would appreciate it. Through them, our messages reach more people than we can imagine.

I will post each published item on individual posts below.

Sarah Pearce- [email protected]
Steve Nery- [email protected]
Konrad Surowiec- [email protected]
Star Democrat- [email protected]

`````````````````````````````````````````````````

This is Steve Nery's article:

Star Democrat
Easton, MD

Lyme bill opposed by patient advocate group dies in Md. Senate

By STEVE NERY
Staff Writer
April 12, 2007

ANNAPOLIS -- After a grassroots campaign protesting proposed Lyme disease legislation, the Maryland legislative session ended Monday night without the approval of House Bill 836.

The bill, which would have provided nearly $500,000 over the next two years to disseminate literature about the tick-borne disease, passed the House of Delegates 138-0, but died in the Senate Health, Education and Environmental Affairs Committee. Lyme disease patient advocate groups spoke out against the bill, concerned that it would support only a set of diagnostic and treatment guidelines which limits doctor discretion.

Groups including the Lyme Disease Association (LDA) called and wrote members of the Senate committee. Lyme disease advocates from all across the country spoke out against the bill, concerned about the precedent it might set, said Lucy Barnes, director of the Lyme Disease Education and Support Groups of Maryland.

The Infectious Disease Society of America's guidelines have been criticized by such groups on the basis that the document doesn't allow for discretion in diagnosing the disease or for the course of antibiotics prescribed. The guidelines also don't allow for the treatment of chronic Lyme disease, which develops in between 10 to 15 percent of all cases, according to the LDA. Chronic Lyme disease has been a contentious issue, as some doctors say they don't believe it is an actual medical condition.

Advocacy groups had asked the legislature to add language that would also educate people about the International Lyme and Associated Diseases Society's (ILADS) guidelines, but the House did not do so.

The groups then asked the Senate committee to kill the bill.

Because many mainstream hospitals and doctors adhere to the IDSA guidelines, people who believe they have been misdiagnosed or believe they have the chronic form often seek out help through patient advocate groups.

Through mid-March, more cases (324) were reported to the Centers for Disease Control from Maryland than from any other state, according to the Lyme Disease Foundation. Barnes said she has received a proclamation from Gov. Martin O'Malley designating May as Lyme Disease Awareness Month. The rate of infection is greatest during the warmer months.

While legislation aiding their cause was not passed by the Maryland General Assembly this session, Barnes noted that all eight Maryland members of the U.S. House of Representatives have signed onto HB 741, which would provide $100 million in research money over the next five years.

To contact Star Democrat with your comments about Steve Nery and his continuing Lyme coverage:

[email protected]
[email protected]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is Sarah's article:

STAR DEMOCRAT

Lyme hits close to home

A firsthand account of how it has affected one family

By SARAH PEARCE
Staff Writer
April 12, 2007

GREENSBORO -- I hear it everywhere, but it has been a while since it put a lump in my throat: Lyme disease killed a brother, ruined a family's finances, crippled a daughter.

My mother's battle with Lyme has been a slow, painful process. More than five years since her diagnosis, doctors believe soon she finally will be rid of the symptoms.

Recently, that familiar lump returned as I listened to a presentation given by Dr. Michael J. Fadden at the Caroline County Public Library in Greensboro.

Fadden, who is medical director of Choptank Community Health System, spoke plainly about Lyme disease prevention, transmission, stages and treatment. Fadden was neither blas� nor militant about Lyme, extremes some doctors take.

Diagnosis is the key to getting treatment. And the treatment is crucial.

My mother had Lyme disease and several other tick-borne illnesses, and she was very, very sick. At the time, she was a chemistry teacher and chairman of the science department at her school.

When she first started having symptoms in August 2001, she had no idea what was wrong. Her knees swelled and were sore, she was exhausted, and her joints were stiff. Her doctor told her she probably was depressed.

Other Lyme patients have been told the same thing -- or told they are just getting old or are menopausal.

Blood tests, Fadden said, are not helpful in early cases.

Many Lyme patients say this has caused them problems because some doctors will not treat Lyme disease without a positive blood test.

Fadden said doctors, as part of the Hippocratic oath, swear first to do no harm to their patients. Doctors will not prescribe antibiotics if they are not convinced the drugs will make the patient better.

Doxycyclene is most effective at treating Lyme disease.

Unfortunately for my mother, her late diagnosis and allergy to Doxycyclene set her on a five-year journey in search of wellness.

She spent months out of work. (An overachiever, she resisted taking the time ... until her doctor warned her she could die unless she treated her tick-borne illnesses). She had to have IV treatment from a nurse who visited the house.

I hesitate to write just how horrible her symptoms were for fear of being alarmist, but Lyme is a serious disease that needs serious attention.

Left untreated, Lyme disease can cause symptoms like my mother's: jumbling written words, forgetting thoughts, putting things in strange places (one doctor had an anecdote about a woman who couldn't find her salad ingredients for a dinner party because she put them in her sock drawer), soreness, agitation, exhaustion, sweats, etc.

For most people, early diagnosis and treatment can prevent these terrible symptoms.

For all her difficulties with the disease, my mother was lucky in some ways. She could afford to see a doctor who knew how to effectively treat tick-borne illnesses. She got treatment. She is better.

Through her struggle with Lyme, I was able to recognize when I had symptoms related to a tick disease. When one doctor would not treat me because I did not have a positive test, I found another doctor. I got treatment immediately. I felt better within a week and completed the course of antibiotics. Since then, I have had no symptoms.

If not for my mother's struggle, I may not have acted so quickly.

Many people have been very ill from Lyme disease, especially when it is not diagnosed and treated early.

With every public information session, power point presentation, meeting or seminar about tick-borne illnesses, doctors and the public have a better chance of recognizing the symptoms and treating the disease.

Fadden and other local doctors who have taken the time to educate themselves and/or others should be commended for their attention to the disease.

The lesson Lyme disease can teach us is that we must be advocates for our own health, no matter the health concern. Only you know how you feel. Most doctors listen. If a doctor does not take a patient seriously, it is time for that patient to seek a second opinion.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````
To comment on Sarah's article:

[email protected]
[email protected]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

This is Konrad's article:

Guidelines sought for Lyme disease

By KONRAD SUROWIEC
Staff Writer
March 19, 2007

AP Photo/Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

This undated photo shows an American dog tick. Ticks can transmit Lyme disease and other infections.

ANNAPOLIS -- Better guidelines are needed to diagnose and treat Lyme disease, a medical doctor and three others promoting greater public awareness about the disease told the Eastern Shore delegation Friday.

The delegation heard from Dr. Kenneth Singleton; Mark Asher and Kathy Franklin, who both are recovering from Lyme disease; and Pamela Andrews, whose daughter is recovering from the disease.

``We really don't have a good test for Lyme disease,'' said Singleton, a Towson medical doctor who specializes in treating patients with Lyme disease. A large percentage of his patients are from the Eastern Shore.

Singleton said doctors need more training on detecting Lyme disease in people who have it. He said another problem is that ticks are ``nasty little critters'' who transmit other infections besides Lyme disease.

Franklin, a psychotherapist, said her battle with Lyme disease began five years ago, and she also had malaria. Symptoms included rashes, vomiting, drenching sweats, memory and hearing problems, and a tremendous pressure in her head. She had to take all kinds of medicine and had thousands of dollars in out of pocket expenses.

``I feel like I lost my sanity for a period of time. ... I was in a profound depression,'' Franklin said.

Franklin takes antibiotics. She said on good days, she has 90 percent of her health back, but it's down to about 30 percent on bad days.

The symptoms, at their worst, are hideous, said Asher, a radio navigation engineer at Johns Hopkins University, who got Lyme disease in 2004. He said he had cardiac arrhythmia and difficulty breathing.

Andrews, of Salisbury, said her daughter had all the classic signs of Lyme disease, but all her tests came back negative. Her daughter is doing better, thanks to Singleton, said Andrews. In 2003, she helped start the Lyme Disease Association of the Eastern Shore. Andrews said she has gotten calls from many ill people who are ``languishing in bed'' because medical professionals don't know what's wrong with them.

House Bill 836, which had a hearing March 13 before the Health and Government Operations Committee, would require the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene to promote a public awareness campaign on preventing Lyme disease and other tick-born illnesses.

Free informational materials would be distributed to health clinics, schools, the forest and park service and other organizations. Educational materials containing the ``latest consensus guidelines for diagnosis and treatment of Lyme disease'' would be distributed to health care providers.

Andrews has concerns about the guidelines referred to in the bill, saying a 28-day treatment program of antibiotics won't cure Lyme disease.

Lyme disease is caused by a slow growing organism, and the disease might take 10 months to develop, said Singleton. To stop treatment after one month is ridiculous, he said. He said there are three forms of Lyme disease, and multiple antibiotics are used to treat each form.

``Twenty-eight days for long-term Lyme won't cure. I can guarantee you that,'' Singleton said.

Del. David Rudolph, D-34B-Cecil, said there are conflicting views among medical professionals on how to treat Lyme disease. He said people who support Singleton's approach might represent 20 to 30 percent of medical professionals, while 70 to 80 percent support a different approach.

``I support what you're saying. ... But there's a lot of people on the other side,'' said Rudolph.

Rudolph and Del. Page Elmore, R-38A-Wicomico, are two of the 19 delegates sponsoring HB 836.

````````````````````````````````````````````````
To reach Konrad:

[email protected]
[email protected]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

A letter to the Editor

Star Democrat

Letters to the Editor, April 9, 2007
April 9, 2007

Lyme report lauded

Thanks so very much for the informative article written by Steve Nery on March 31.

My husband and I are so appreciative, because it was the lack of good information, that took so long for his recovery from Lyme Disease. Our local Lyme Disease group has been very instrumental in giving us good information and all out of their pocket.

Thank you Mr. Nery for your in- depth article.

Members in Harford County

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

proud pup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4152

Icon 1 posted      Profile for proud pup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This needs to be back on top.

Thanks for the post Tincup.

Posts: 191 | From Eastern Shore. Maryland USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valymemom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wonderful! We need our local papers to publish articles like these.

Tincup, you have accomplished so much for us and I believe you've cultivated good relationships with reporters and politicians.

Posts: 1240 | From Centreville,VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great articles! Thanks!
Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement