LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » I've said it before and I'll say it again- I don't like herxes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I've said it before and I'll say it again- I don't like herxes
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uggggggggggggggggg.......

[shake]

I just thought if I said it out loud TO somebody... that MAYBE I would feel better?

But I don't think it is working.

[Big Grin]

It always amazes me about my attitude toward herxing. I somehow think it will only happen to "the other guy" for some reason.

Not in MY backyard mentality.

I KNOW that hurricane is coming my way.. and I am a tornado magnet and seek shelter immediately.. probably seeing more than most. And lightening.. I respect it too and KNOW what to do. DUCK!

But these STUPID herxes? You would THINK I would know they are coming and recognise them when they hit.. but NOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I must be the only FOOL who sits there for a few days saying.. actually WHINING...

"I'm not suppose to feel THIS bad. What is going on here?"

I SHOULD know the signs by now... ya think?

It starts with the whimpy, whiny, nobody loves me mental attitude. It progresses to the.. "did I get the flu or something?" Then right to the ... "what did I eat that made me feel so bad?"

Then of course the perfect answer always pops up and I say.. "oh, I just need to get some rest and I'll be ok."

That never works... but I still go there.

Then it moves quickly to the.. "My body is tied up in lead-like knots.. what's causing that?

Then the... "DON'T EVEN TALK TO ME YOU SLYME PIG!" mode hits hard. I'd put a dozen crabs to shame in that condition. Best look out!

In the meantime my eyeballs even hurt. And my body moves at a super slow speed with a grace that can only be compared to a donkey on roller skates.

Even the smallest chore seems impossible... like changing the STUPID roll of toilet paper.

Then comes the .. "OH MY GOSH... I'm going to be this way the rest of my LIFE!" "I'll NEVER get better!" "I can't stand this anymore!" "NOBODY cares about me!" "What if I died here right now... nobody would even LOOK for me!"

PANIC!

Then I drag myself to the shower in the event I croak in the next few hours.. so at least I'll be clean... and as mom would say.. "have clean underwear on!" She'd be proud about that part.

Then.. when I unexpectedly wake up the next day.. and I feel like that 747 flew through my bedroom and turned it upside down while I was asleep...

Then starts the .. "OH NO!! I'm STILL here and I still feel like dirt... so what SHALL I DO?"

THEN I do what I tell everyone else to do.

Think. Describe symptoms. Make a plan.

At THAT point it crosses my mind that this MAY be a herx. Grab the calendar off the wall.. look back a couple of months.. and

BINGO!

The timing is right.. and the "feeling" is right.. but you know what?

I STILL TRY TO DENY IT!!!

Who ME? I can't have a herx. I don't WANT one. No! This shouldn't happen to ME!! This is for other people.. NOT ME!!!

Ugggggggggggggggggggggggggg...

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok... I think I'm done complaining.

[Big Grin]

But ONE more day of this JUNK and I will officially declare next month to be..

May is Herx Awareness Month!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry you are herxing Tincup. I am herxing also and the exact same thing happens to me, I think it's anything but a herx. [Eek!]

Thank you for making me laugh and I sure hope you feel better soon.

[group hug]

Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hurtingramma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7770

Icon 10 posted      Profile for hurtingramma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are just so funny! I'm sorry you are herxing, but you put into words exactly what many of us feel.

Glad you can keep your sense of humor.

--------------------
"Few of us can do great things, but all of us can do small things with great love". Mother Theresa

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1629665573&ref=name

Posts: 938 | From Northeast Kingdom Vermont | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry you are herxing. Hope you feel better really soon. [group hug]

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry TC, I hope it passes soon. I'm right there with you. Thank you for putting it into words.

(I'm not posting much because of the come and go amnesia thing.)

When I get to the "I think it's a herx" part I then start second guessing all over again because I know I'm dying and it'll never end.

The herx was bad and some *** hole took back menopause on me. No Fair! Foul! They can't do that, can they? The herx was pushing it; this pain is unbearable.

When will it end?

Thank you for making me laugh and cry. I'm sorry for my whine and hope you feel better soon.

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiserforit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiserforit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tincup --

I'm with you all the way on the fleeting memory about herxing!

Sorry you are feeling lousy... but metaphors must make you feel better, because you type the best ones during your misery!

And so, the rest of us are benefiting from your herx-related inspirations!

Do you remember an old cartoon about "The Mighty Hercules"? There was this tiny Pan character/sidekick who was a little centaur. He always used to call Hercules "Herk."

Makes me think of renaming myself "Herx" during the dark times! You can borrow the monniker during those beastly times too!

Thanks for the laughter, from one Herx to another...

wiserforit

Posts: 508 | From Banks of the Hudson | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragonfly
Member # 11621

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Dragonfly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sorry to hear that you or anyone is herxing. You do have a fantastic way of Describing the symptoms. Please excuse my typing if I misspell,I'm in brain fog and getting ready to put myself in a herx on purpose just by taking my AB's. can you believe that. Have to have them though ,don't we?Do you know what started yours? Hope you are feeling much better soon.
Posts: 11 | From Kingston, TN. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 3 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So THAT'S what a herx is!!!!!! [Eek!] [Razz] [Eek!] [dizzy] [rant]
Posts: 4258 | From over there | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh boy, my sentiments exactly. At least you're not alone....

I still can't believe this head pain and ear thing has been going on for two weeks...

I can deal with lyme daily but herxes kill me..........

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bejoy
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to think that if you could just be smart enough, wise enough, spiritual enough,

determined enough, educated enough, experienced enough, prepared enough,

then you wouldn't have to go through that sort of thing.

Rats. It didn't work with chilbirth either.

Sorry it herx so much. I hpoe you feel better soon.

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tincup~ Ahh...you and I do the same thing. We ignore what's going on (even though we can't function) until we are flat on our backs. Then we grab the calendar and viola!! there it is! Time for "Le Herx from Le H***!"

You are such a role model for us...we must all emulate your "clean underwear while herxing" policy. [Big Grin] I did end up in the ER with tachycardia during one of my herxes (yes, I did have clean underwear on).

The calendar is so VERY helpful, isn't it? My herxes have ALWAYS occured on day 10, 11 or 12 after starting a treatment. Just recently, they caught me totally off guard by occuring one time on day 13, and another on day 9. So, I denied those until I was flat on my back and acknowledged that they really didn't HAVE to come precisly on day 10, 11 or 12. Just when you think you have lyme figured out, it throws you a curve ball.

A donkey on roller skates, huh? I'm more like a beached whale. I can't move. [Wink]

Hang in there TC, better days are coming.

Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iceskater
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceskater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am herxing like H- e -double hockey sticks .Antibiotic changes flagyl and ceftin, really brutal. Back to needing a bath chair to tolerate a shower.

Hang in there Tincup, we understand!!! Only I do ice skates, not roller skates!!

SmileyCentral.com

Posts: 719 | From Delaware | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TinCup,

Hope you get over this herx soon..

I am like you... I am usually in the denial mode.

I start feeling bad...think that it will pass.

Get to feeling worse....no, this will pass.

The herx truck is now officially parked at my house....

This is not going to pass....quick enough for me.

How do you get used to feeling like %#$@??!!!

I know it is coming, but no matter what I do, I am NEVER prepared.

Hang in there.

Keep that wonderful sense of humor.

You made my day with that post.....sorry it had to be about you not feeling well.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well.. you all make me laugh like get out! Thank you for the giggles and rolls on the floor!

HA! hehehe tee hee hee

Oh...

Except for those of you who are herxing now too! Or who have ever herxed.. or who have ever felt so dag gum awful for any reason...

But.. I have an important announcement to make.. roll the drums please.

On second thought... hold on a minute...

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
******* I found the cure for a herx!******

I did! I am nearly all better now. Back to my normal crummy self... and it feels so good!!!

I am sure you will want to print this out and save it so you can do the same. I know I will!

How to Cure a Herx

1. Go to LymeNet and start a post about how crummy you feel. Then...

2. Drag yourself to the local laundry mat to dry clothes you've already washed. You know having to carry heavy WET clothes all over town is SO much more fun than hauling around dry clothes.

3. Be sure the laundry mat is not well ventilated and is in Florida or some other really hot place. Be sure the outside temperature is at least 85 degrees or better in the shade. Be sure there is a little old lady inside with her husband.. both reading a book... both totally ignoring you... and be sure there is at least 6 gas dryers running on full blast when you get there. Be sure the afternoon sun is blaring through the windows too.

4. Then drag all your clothes inside. Load all them into the dryers. Make at least 5 trips back and forth to the truck to get them... then another trip to get your drink.. then another trip cause you forgot your quarters.. and then start 6 more dryers on high heat... blasting away.

5. Then slowly head back out to the truck... and go past the little old lady and her hubby.. and just about the time she FINALLY says something... be SURE to be standing near-by so you can hear it.

5. If she says, "It sure is hot in here"... and you think to yourself, "Here's your sign"... well...

BINGO! Your herx will be gone instantly!

Yep.. right at that moment the herx quit.

Go figure.

I FINALLY smiled!

So I hung out and did the rest of the laundry.. did a couple errands I had no intention of doing... went home... then went BACK out to town.. the big city this time... cause I felt so good.. and got myself a PIZZA HUT PIZZA!!!!

Soooooooooooooooooooooooo.. it was either those exact steps that cured the herx.. OR the well wishes and prayers from you guys. Cause I am feeling MUCH better. I guess I was on the tail end the herx (by the time I figured it out- duh me)... and this morning was the final straw... so I posted.

I still have a couple of tweeks and twitches to work out.. and some energy to grab ahold of... but I am BACK!

NOw.. how do YOU get rid of a herx?

And I hope it is soon!!!!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Geneal
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure it wasn't that Pizza Hut Pizza that

didn't get rid of your herx?????

I'll have one (or several)!!!!

Hope you ate some for me!!!

Glad that you are feeling better. (and now you have clean clothes!)

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mag
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mag     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tincup and everyone,

Makes me laugh-- funny !
I am still trying to figure out how I got in this mess-- After all - I am more afraid of mountain lions in these CA mountains. Now - a tick has put me into lymie chaos

"herxing unlimited" comes with the lyme package.

good to see that herx still includes humor

i'll have to save this post for future reference when i am herxing

take care and a happy may herx to all !!

mags [Smile]

Posts: 259 | From California | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmmm...

Oddly, completely and totally freaking out about the herx once I recognize it seems to clear it in 2-3 days.

I think next round I'll try the sauna laundromat. [Big Grin]

I'm glad you're feeling better, TC!

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breathwork
Member # 567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breathwork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel ya Tincup...I feel ya!

No matter how many years I seem to fight this pack of bugs, the herxes come and I am in denial, until I break down and cry pitifully...poor baby! poor baby!

Then I suck it up because there isn't much else I can do. I drink my ZipFizz, which helps a little, and I make plans to get done the essentials, a list of things that will not be done entirely no matter how hard I try..

I isolate cuz anything else is too much effort...eat whatever is easiest to grab on my miles long trek to the kitchen....

and slowly it ends...and I am so glad to feel good again...

then friends ask, where ya been? and all I can say AGAIN, is herxing...and they look puzzled because I should be finished doing that sort of thing after all these years, right?

And I feel worse about myself and go home to hibernate a bit more, until I can face the world of ignorance out there....not intentionally ignorant, but painfully so none the less.

Then there's a family crisis of sorts and I have to rally as I am the mom and I drag myself from my hole and later realize that it felt good to be up and out and doing..and wonder why I don't do it more...more beating myself up..

Then see the list that didn't get done, catch up on bills, reevaluate what I'll actually get done,.etc..

You all know the drill....

This stuff simply sucks! and all I can do is ride this pony til the rodeo is over...

Yep, that's the herx cycle for me....

Then I get the good days and LOVE FEELING ALIVE AGAIN...and I forget how awful the herx cycle is and get out to see friends and accomplish things...and a few weeks later it starts again and I'm stupified at what's happening again...

I suppose that the denial while feeling good is the defense against the miseries of the herx.....so it's not all bad...

Yep, herxes are just plain rotten!

We are all heros to survive them with as much grace as we do...I think we're definitely heros...

Carol Ann

Posts: 1062 | From CA USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
believe3
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for believe3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Tincup for posting this. I have been

feeling so aweful for over a week and a half

now. Not realizing what was happening. I must

have the flu I thought. Just like you..I have

been in denial. Now that the pain is so severe

and my body feels like its all in knotts, I have

finally realized what is happening. Duh. I have

not had a herx like this in months so I was

totally not prepared. I am feeling sorry for

myself and have to fight back the tears. I know

this too shall pass. But seriously...I should

know better by now..I should be able to

recongnize it.

Im gonna start the calander thing. Don't know

why I haven't been doing that.

Thanks again for posting this. It sure made me

laugh.

--------------------
Love, Merrie
Believe in the power of your spirit..for it will carry you through the darkest hours of your life

Posts: 261 | From minnesota | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
k-lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for k-lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OOOOOOOOh Tinnnnnnny,

What are taking that is causing you to herx so bad? Do tell, because after four years on antibiotics, I haven't had a "real" herx!

Hope you feel better soon,

K-lyme

Posts: 227 | From CA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
k-lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for k-lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PS- I have Lyme, B. Microti, B. Ducani, B. Henselae, and Erlichia (The one whose second name begins with a C).
Posts: 227 | From CA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's what I think of a herx !

-

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is so hysterical. I read it to my husband, and he asked if I read it before my last herx! LOL

I put my anticipated date of herx on my calendar so I can plan for it. It's actually a necessity for me because hubby travels and he stays home during herx time.

Even though I know it's coming, it still surprises me that I'm so sick again and I question whether I ever felt any better.

Mine came two days early this month, but it's OVER, so I'm happy. It was supposed to start yesterday!

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So....I woke up this morning at 3 a.m. with a screaming headache! [Frown] Needless to say, I didn't sleep after 3!

Got out of bed with nausea, dragged myself to the club where I managed to watch Joel Osteen while I walked on the treadmill. (He's such a spirit booster for me! [Smile] )

Went home and was back in bed by noon, with my mattress heater on HIGH, and a down comforter on top of me, and I was still cold!! [Roll Eyes]

Headache continued throughout the day. As has nausea. This is day nine after my HBOT dive...so very well could be a herx.

Yesterday I spent 3 hours raking pine needles in my yard! Not so today! I don't even want to go outside today!

Well, we'll see what the next few days brings...The timing is right for a herx...I just never quite believe them when they hit...even when I'm lying flat in bed!

Speaking of bed...it's 6 p.m. I'd sure like to go to bed now! [sleepy]

Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement