LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Terrified of needle pain--bicillin help!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Terrified of needle pain--bicillin help!
humanbeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for humanbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I am getting my IV pulled--doc and hubby think it has been long enough-eight months.

I start bicillin next week and am scared of big needles and pain...can anyone give me some ways to reduce pain

Also, doc said my bum could get lumpy over time...this seems very unattractive does it go away?

Also, what to expect for herx?

THanks a million
Scardykim

--------------------
We are spiritual beings on a human journey...

www.ruggierogallery.com

Posts: 906 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a chicken too! My doctor wants me to check out insurance coverage for bicillin shots, but I just can't imagine... [Frown]

I will be watching the responses closely because I don't have anything to offer except -my butt's lumpy enough already.

Carol

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EMLA Cream... Not sure if it's called that still, but theat's what the nursing company told meto get to prepare for the stick I get when they access my port. It's nothing more than Lidocaine.

You have to put it on 1-2 hours before the injection in order to give the skin time to numb.

Ask your doc for a prescription.

--------------------
Sometimes when I say �Oh, I�m fine� I want someone to look me in the eyes & say �tell the truth�

Myspace: http://tinyurl.com/5p64ed

Posts: 644 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickandtiredofbeingsandt
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickandtiredofbeingsandt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am on Rocephin shots. I do them once per day. I don't know if Bicillin causes more lumps than Rocephin but the "trick" is the Lidocaine that the med is in.

I have had site reactions in the past but found out that it was a bad batch of Lidocaine which causes that. Most of the time, there is no reaction except when I pass through a vein and bruise.

I also rotate the shot sites. I do the top thigh and side thigh and when my husband is home, he does the butt ones. So you can rest the sites that way.

I also hate needles but you do get used to it.

--------------------
Sick and Tired of Being Sick and Tired

Posts: 185 | From Colorado | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had them divide the dose in half and use a smaller needle, since I only weigh 90 pounds. That meant two shots each time I went, but then it didn't hurt much. A good nurse will know to inject it very slowly.

I am a total wimp and I did 8 weeks of shots and am living proof it can be done. [Smile] Hiker

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8890 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hb:

I too was not looking forward to the injections. I was 104 lbs when I started them. Even my nurse wasn't sure where to "shoot" me. So, we both finally said 'just do it'. I yelped and lurched forward on the first one, which was not a good thing to do. But, after that first shot I knew what to expect. The worst was over.

I took the biggest needles, one in each cheek or the hip, every week for about 2 years. I got so used to it. Once we figured out I had some pretty good muscle in the hip area, it was easier for me. That hurt less for some reason.

Lumps? Well, yes and no. You will initially get a big fat lump, at least it will feel big and fat. No one else will even notice it. That goes down in about 12 - 24 hours. After 2 years I developed scar tissue, not noticeable lumps. My massage therapist says she can feel the scar tissue but, it is deep inside the muscle. I stopped the injections because of the scar tissue and because my gut got trashed. The latter might have been from Mepron though.

I have been off the injections for almost one year and may be starting them again tomorrow. Bicillin gave me lots of relief. I went from Rocephin to Bicillin. Rocephin was great but talk about a pain in the butt. I'll take weekly injections over daily infusions any day.

You can do it. Ask your MD for a valium to get you through the first few. That might relax you. Oh, and don't look! It will be over before you know it.

Bc

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David95928
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can add 1% lidocaine to Bicillin, although you would have to transfer it from one syringe to another and maintain sterility. It pretty much alleviates sorenes for about twelve hours, which is when you feel it most.

--------------------
Dave

Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
humanbeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for humanbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the great feedback. I am feeling better already.

I like the idea of two small shots instead of one biggie. A nurse is coming each week to give it to me so hopefully she knows how to help me be calm...

You guys are so generous with your comments..I really appreciate it... [bow]

--------------------

www.ruggierogallery.com

Posts: 906 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymewreck36
Member # 4395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymewreck36     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am currently on bicillan shots. I find that when my daughter gives them to me, they hurt less than when my husband does it.

Here's a good tip I read once.

Ask your doctor to prescribe lidocain patches. They have peel off backs and you stick them where you want numbing.

You can cut a patch into smaller sections, and put a section on the injection site for an hour before you do the shot.

Alcohol the area after you remove the lidocain patch, and take the shot there.

Not painful in the least at that point.

Get those lidocain patches. It is well worth it.

Mary

Posts: 1032 | From North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Bicillin shots never bothered me. I did all my own bicillin for over a year and it helped the Lyme very much. Make sure you are taught how to correctly administer the shots, or have a friend or family member do them for you. If they hurt, go in the shower afterwards and put the warm water on it. It will help it get absorbed. Sometimes you can mix them with lidocaine, but it really is not a big deal unless you are super skinny and petrified of needles. In that case you might need smaller doses and ice or heat, plus some hypnosis or something to get over the fear. To me it was just a shot and no big deal. I was much more afraid of the illness than a silly shot. Hope it works out for you!
WildCondor
Unregistered

Here is what a pre-filled Bicillin shot looks like, with the Tubex injector attached to it.
Make sure when you get the Rx you get the Tubex injector, and also that it is always kept in the fridge.

-

Lymeindunkirk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeindunkirk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wild condor, are you still getting the bicillin with the tubex? I was told by the pharmacy that company stopped making the bicillin.

I don't have any problems with bicillin and I will tell you why I think so. I warm up the medicine to body temperature a few minutes BEFORE i get the shot. Lay the vial inside the elbow and close for warmth. Put between your breasts, put it under your arm or even behind your knee until you feel its at your body temp.

Ths shots were a little painful at first but once I warmed them up it was much less. Some times I barely feel the needle going in at all!

I have a friend whose child gets two shots once a month. They have to literally hold him down each time. I had seen that particular doctor once and I remembered that they would take the shot out out of the refrigerator a few minutes before the shot and then give the injection. I remember the same bicillin shot being very painful there. I told my friend to ask the nurse to warm it up to her child's body temp. She told me recently it worked! Try it. It can't hurt. It will either work or not work. Let me know if it does.

Posts: 547 | From Maryland | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CatWoman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CatWoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah my Bicillin doesn't come in the TUBEX anymore either.

I've been rotating between the hips and thigh for better absorption. Plus you're much less lumpy that way. The pain isn't bad at all for me. Hope this reassures you. Bicillin's supposed to be an excellent treatment. Good luck with it.

~catwoman

Posts: 255 | From where we don't have Lyme disease | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Hi
I don't take Bicillin anymore so i don't know how it is being dispensed. The pic is from at least 2 years ago when i was taking it like that. Pretty sure it does still come that way though.

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got my first bicillin injection yesterday. Now, over 24 hours later, there is a bruise and it's very tender.

As slowly as my bruises heal, I am concerned that I will have to be getting another shot where I'm bruised ... I'll get one in the other cheek on Wed., but we'll have to use this one again on Sunday.

I am pretty thin so it's not like there's a big area back there... Any suggestions?

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DolphinLady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DolphinLady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lots of great advice given in the past. You can access it with the search function.
Posts: 925 | From California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
humanbeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8572

Sorry to report that the bicillin didn't work out for me [Frown] After one shot the right side of my body was in terrible pain--lasted for several days..

So I think my low body weight and my already excruciating neuropathy in my legs don't work with this treatment...

So now I am taking biaxin/plaquinil.

Glad others have such good luck w/it.

--------------------

www.ruggierogallery.com

Lymeindunkirk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeindunkirk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear that humanbeing. Bicillin has been a great drug for me. I wish you luck in finding the one that works best for you. It seems finding a drug that works is one of the things that is so hard about treatment. The drugs work different on each person. Don't you feel like a guinea pig? I know I do a lot of the time.
Posts: 547 | From Maryland | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rianna
Member # 11038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rianna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the generic Bicillin Benzathine Penicillin) that comes in powder form and my nurse mixes it with sterile water and lidocane I have 1 dose in each cheek (1.2 per cheek now [Wink] ) twice per week. I never feel a thing although they have to be very quick putting needle in, but honestly it is far less painful than having blood taken and I have no lumps whatsoever.

I also suggest going to see a hypnotist for a couple of sessions as they can help so much with any pain control or fears of needles etc.

Rianna

Posts: 1172 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Humanbeing, they didn't work out for me either.

The nurse that did the first one did everything right. It didn't hurt to get the injection, but three days later, there's still a huge, dark bruise and a lump. There's no way that cheek would be ready for another injection by Sunday. Hubby mentioned he thought it wouldn't be healed for at least a month ... he's probably right, too.

I walked after the shot, I rubbed it ... everything went perfectly. I don't really know why it didn't work out better.

The nurse thought maybe I just didn't have enough "meat" back there to absorb it properly. I lift weights, so what little there is there is pretty muscular.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement