LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Mepron bottles and seals?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mepron bottles and seals?
Vanilla
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where is the seal suppose to be found on the bottle?

Is it on the top of the plastic inside the cap?

Wondering if my Mepron stash is the real deal or not?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it's from the factory, it will be a white bottle in a box. It will have a clear plastic seal around the outside of the lid that needs to be removed to unscrew the lid.

I got watered down Mepron once ... it does happen. If you don't get factory sealed bottles, be sure you're familiar with how thick it's supposed to be. It was simple for me and my daughter, who doesn't even take it, to see it had been watered down.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GenaD
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11988

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenaD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, very interesting...My one bottle (that I haven't used) is the white bottle you're describing...the mepron I'm taking now is from a (kind of) clear bottle. It looks orange from the color of the mepron inside. And there was no seal around the lid.

--------------------
"Never underestimate the power of a few committed people to change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has."
--Margaret Mead

Posts: 290 | From New York | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanilla
Unregistered

I have 2 un-opened bottles of Mepron gold label left over. One big one and one smaller one both from Walgreens mail service that came in the mail from Bridges to Access through the marker GlaxoSmithKline.

The bigger bottle has a clear seal around the top with a GSK logo done in orange repeated on the seal.

The smaller bottle is orange plastic with you guessed it - no seal.

I feel like calling Walgreens.

GenaD
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11988

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenaD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes! Orange plastic with no seal! That's what I started taking and now I'm thinking that my lack of any side effects is because it's watered down. Unbelievable! Call Walgreens! I may just call Publix!!

--------------------
"Never underestimate the power of a few committed people to change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has."
--Margaret Mead

Posts: 290 | From New York | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanilla
Unregistered

I am on the phone with Bridges to Access right now about my unsealed bottle of Merpon. They have me on hold while they contact the pharmacy that mailed it to me. They think something is strange about an unsealed bottle too.
beachcomber
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can avoid any risks by ordering the Mepron in individually dosed packets or sachets. It is probably a little more expensive that way. But, it is the only way my MD will prescribe it for me. I just open a packet and squirt the lovely contents into my mouth. I don't have to think. Nor does my pharmacist.

I think some pharmacies can buy in bulk and mix it themselves. I know my Nystatin and liquid Zith was mixed by the pharmacy and there was no seal on the cap. It kind of made me nervous.

So, I pay a little extra for the liquid gold to be individually dosed and sealed by GSK. Might want to ask the pharmacy what that would cost.

Bc

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys, don't panic yet! If you're getting one month's supply at a time, and taking, say, 2 tsp per day - you will get one factory sealed bottle just like the one described (that one lasts about 3 weeks) and one small pharmacy bottle from the pharmacy, not sealed.

The second small bottle is not sealed because (I think) GSK only makes one size of the white bottle. So the pharmacy has to open one of their factory sealed Mepron bottles and put the remainder of your Rx for each month into one of their standard bottles (mine are orangey, like the bottles my son's liquid meds are dispensed in).

I try to get one factory sealed bottle each month and one of the smaller bottle - that way I can compare the contents of the small bottle to the factory sealed bottle if I have questions.

Did that make any sense or did I say it all backwards? [Smile]

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vanilla, you're right, if you got it from Bridges to Access they're only supposed to send sealed bottles. Something's fishy there.

BC - I didn't know they made packets, that's really cool. Better for traveling, too. You don't know how your doc writes the scrip, do you? Thinking I'd like to try that...

--------------------

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanilla
Unregistered

Bridges to Access is a program you can apply to with the maker GSK if you are low income to get your Mepron for free.

They are giving me the run around now on the phone and I am back on hold listening to elevator jazz for my listening pleasure.

GSK needs to start making smaller bottles due to the fact their Walgreen pharmacist just admitted it is sometimes counterfeited.

Now they have me on hold again awaiting a Bridges to Access supervisor.

cactus
Member # 7347

I think I read in one of groovy's posts that they're supposed to send sealed bottles.

Go get 'em!

--------------------

GenaD
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11988

Cactus, I feel better that you explained the 2 different bottles thing. Maybe mine isn't watered down after all. I may still open the white bottle to compare consistency!

How soon do you think I'd feel any side effects if they were going to happen?

--------------------
--Margaret Mead

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Usually I do get part of my prescription in a brown bottle because the prescription is not for three whole bottles per month, it's two and a half. Just because it's not a factory bottle doesn't mean it's watered down.

Compare the partial bottle to the factory bottle. It's easy to see if it's the same thick stuff.

--------------------

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanilla
Unregistered

On hold again...

I am now waiting for the supervisor of the supervisor.. at Bridges to Access.

The number to call at GSK to complain if you receive an unsealed bottle or watered down Mepron called Fepron which I plan to do next is

1-888-825-5249

Bridges to Access and Walgreens both are just passing the buck. "We do not handle that here."

Vanilla
Unregistered

Because I have to save my Mepron bottles for a year according to my LLMD incase I need to revist taking Mepron (Please God NO!) if the Malarone does not work I do not want to open my one sealed bottle until I have to.

GSK is going to escalate my complaint with Bridges to Access and hopefully replace my little bottle with sealed packets.. I am not holding my breath. I did tell them they need to start making smaller sealed bottles too. They said they did not know if anyone would ever call me back on my complaint or not.

trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ummm... Vanilla...

Nothing to do with Mepron but I have dealt with Bridges to Access quite a few, too many, times. Good luck getting someone that knows their *** from their elbow.

No one understands how the program works, nevermind the pharmacy aspect. [shake]

Don't get me wrong, free meds are free meds but this is the most difficult program to deal with that I've found in... um... ever!

They will give you 16-30 Malarone for the year if you haven't asked them for it. You have to ask for the override before you apply or they only give the 16.

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All

If you are taking 2 TSP of Mepron a day--
Bridges sends 4 white sealed bottles AND one
small orange looking bottle that contains
60 ML -- CCs --

The small boxes have the pharmacy label
that is made out to You --

900 ML Total (cc)

The small bottle is because GSK ONLY
makes 210 ML (CC) size bottles --

Having the ONE Small bottle is Nothing
to worry about --
Its How they Must do it --

If Mepron seems to be thinned
Then MAYBE you have a problem --

The thinned mepron is Easy to spot-
at least in my case it was --

When I got Thinned Mepron it was from a
LOCAL pharmacy and happened just
that One Time-

It was NOT from the Walgreen's that
Bridges to Access uses --

Bridges uses Walgreens to redistributed
the meds because its Easier for them
to do --
Maybe legal reasons also (State?)
Who Knows --

When you are getting shipments to your
home from Bridges I would say its
Perty Secure --

I have had ZERO problems with meds
shipped to my house - Awsome -

-----------------------------------

GSK changed the top to the white 210ML
bottle that mepron comes in--

The Plastic top looks only slightly different
than the old one--
One has a small paper warning label
One dose not -Turn emblem on Top

Seal says GSK in a orange circle
that is printed on a clear plastic band--

Realize that shaking the mepron ALOT
will make it Pour Easier --

So take that into account when examining--

The thinned Mepron that I got was Very
Clearly Thinned --Easy to see--
Gushed out of bottle - Spill --

Hope this helps -- Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Jay, that is the case with the thinned Mepron I got, too. It was a local pharmacy. When the liquid was in the measuring spoon, the top of the liquid was flat like water would be, whereas it usually is rounded.

Also, the liquid normally sticks to the spoon and I have to lick it off. With the watered down stuff, I didn't have to lick it off the spoon.

The watered down stuff was NOT in a factory bottle ... none of it was. What I think happened was that instead of giving me two bottles and a partial, they gave me two watered down to fill the order.

--------------------

Vanilla
Unregistered

Trueblue I have had numerous problems with the IQ level or lack of it over at Bridges to Babylon in the past when dealing with Malarone. How many pills were you able to get out of them total?

I think I got 30 tops.

I think my first 2 bottles of Mepron that I got at my local pharmacy were watered down too. I thought about this after I consumed them when someone here posted about theirs being watered down.

I even commented to that Lyme guru wannabe Dr. S. about it when my real Mepron arrived.

I just told him I thought my new batch was better and fresher because at that time I did not know it could be watered down or counterfeit and he did not even comment about it. He might have laughed if anything. No wonder I had a babesia relapse...

Well rest assured tomorrow's nights free Mepron Cocktails in chat will be the real deal. I might even float parts of the seal on top of each drink for decoration.

tabbytamer
Member # 3159

Icon 5 posted      Profile for tabbytamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Mepron bottles sound like Jay's--white, 210, always sealed.

Any possibility that when a pharmacy has to fill a partial bottle, maybe they don't shake up the Mepron first so that the stuff poured out (the stuff the patient gets) is thinner?

--------------------
Tabby

-

California Lyme support group

Posts: 2098 | From San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanilla
Unregistered

Tabby my watered down bottles were full size ones not the little bottles.

The Walgreens pharmacist told Bridges to Access today while I was holding on the phone that there is conterfeit Mepron out there that should tell you something right there.

I now doubt my small bottle is tampered with but who knows but there is counterfeit Mepron out there so buyer beware.

tabbytamer
Member # 3159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tabbytamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vanilla:
Tabby my watered down bottles were full size ones not the little bottles.

Sorry, I missed that. Obviously, then, something isn't right about it especially without it having a seal.

--------------------
Tabby

-

California Lyme support group

Posts: 2098 | From San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cathy DeVoe
Member # 11271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cathy DeVoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vanilla, Why do you say Please God no about the Mephron?
Cathy

Posts: 88 | From Carnation | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanilla
Unregistered

it made me depressed and tired and I was stuck at home a lot because it did something weird to my bladder oh and did I mention the taste yet?

I hate the stuff.

beachcomber
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cactus:

The script says Mepron oral suspension sachets - 30 day supply. (Each one is 1 tsp).

The box only has 42 packets (21 days) in it but, the pharmacy opens another box and gives me more. For 30 days worth I think it runs around $1100 before insurance.

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

quote:
Originally posted by tabbytamer:
Any possibility that when a pharmacy has to fill a partial bottle, maybe they don't shake up the Mepron first so that the stuff poured out (the stuff the patient gets) is thinner?

No. Instead of the two sealed bottles and the partial bottle, I received two large brown bottles with the full amount.

They said they poured it out of the original bottles "for my convenience" so I'd have two bottles instead of three.

I knew they were lying because the pharmacist assistant told me she filled the bottles herself, and the pharmacist told me the same thing.

I think they took two bottles and stretched them with water to fill the whole prescription so that they weren't left with a partial bottle.

--------------------

cactus
Member # 7347

Thanks, Beachcomber, I missed your reply! I'm going to ask my doc about this.

I haven't opened my partial bottle yet to compare it to the factory sealed bottle - now I'm starting to wonder, too. Will keep you posted...

Vanilla, any news from Bridges to Access or are they all at a company picnic this weekend?

--------------------

Vanilla
Unregistered

Cact they will be out to lunch all year just like last year - one long company picnic.

Actually they only come to work to eat their lunches.

WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always used to get Mepron in the little packs, that were single dose, tear open, and very easy to take on the go, etc. Much easier than lugging that bottle around! [Smile]
Vanilla
Unregistered

The little packs seem rather over priced unless one is getting them from Bridges to Access. Do they even offer them? The dang stuff is so over priced to start with.

Because I had to wait to see a LLMD for 16 years partly due to the cost and partly do to stupid ducks I really feel for those who still can not afford to see a LLMD or pay for their meds.

I wish there was some way of raising money to help those who need it for tick related illnesses and treatments. Or a way to make our government pay to treat the ill in this country that can not afford it. Heck my medical bills are currently dragging me down like many people on this board.

cactus
Member # 7347

I can't believe this. I just opened my partial bottle (after finishing the factory sealed bottle) and the difference is astonishing.

It is so thin that the Mepron slides back into the neck of the bottle easily, instead of sort of gunking up near the top at first.

And it spreads right out in the spoon.

My polly-anna perspective is that they didn't shake the bottle at the pharmacy when they opened it to fill my partial bottle, so I only got the runny, watery part.

Geez, is this why I've relapsed?! After my first 2 mos on Mepron last time, they started giving me their own bottles instead of a factory sealed bottle and a partial - maybe they were all like this. I remember commenting on taste differences.

Arrrrrrgh. I feel crazy. I'm not crazy. But this makes me feel crazy, for sure.

So now what?

Do I take the bottle back to the store and show them? Do I call GSK?

--------------------

adamm
Unregistered

So how many of you have developed depression/ had existing depression worsened as a result of taking this stuff?

Adam

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

quote:
Originally posted by adamm:
So how many of you have developed depression/ had existing depression worsened as a result of taking this stuff?

Adam

Mine's the same as it always was. No change.

--------------------

Doomer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11013

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get my mepron at Walgreens and the pharmacists stated that it was policy that they have to put the mepron into a locking top bottle.

My rx is for 280mls. I watched the pharm tech pour from the white 210ml into a larger 300ml brown bottle to the 280ml line.

The consistency has been like sixkids explained, rounded on the spoon and have to lick it off the spoon.

When the bottle is empty I put water in the bottle and shake it to make sure that I get every last drop of the yellow stuff. Does anyone else do this?

Posts: 188 | From ID | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Doomer, the white bottles have locking tops, too.

I don't put water into it to get the last bit out. I have good insurance coverage and it's not worth it to me to not know how much I'm getting for that dose.

--------------------

Vanilla
Unregistered

Cact call GSK. This keeps happening to others and they need to get their act together and make smaller bottles so there will be no excuse for watered down Mepron ever again.

The higher cost for packets is BS. This drug is already too costly. How much would it cost this giant rich corporation to make some smaller bottles to prevent the watered down stuff from being sold for big bucks to people who are ill and need the correct drug that they are paying for?

Anyone else that gets watered down Mepron call GSK too. Maybe we need to fax or write them to keep a paper trail of complaints.

cactus
Member # 7347

Hey Vanilla, I think I will call. Maybe if we all start complaining...

You know, the partial bottle I'm using now, that I watched them pour... it's still not the same thickness as the last batch, but saying so makes me really feel like a crazy chick.

This is a problem that GSK needs to fix.

--------------------

Vanilla
Unregistered

Jennifer from Bridges to Access just returned my call that I had placed recently about the issue of un-sealed Mepron bottles and the comment I made that 30 days of half a dose of Malarone is not enough for Babesia patients and Bridges to Access could do better to assist patients who are on Malarone and can not afford to pay for it.

She said she would take my all my comments that all Mepron needs to be sent out and sold in sealed bottles even if that means packaging it in in smaller bottles and all my comments about Malarone etc. and my concerns with myself and people receiving watered down Mepron to people higher up at GSK.

She did not realize what Babesia was or why Lyme patients would take malaria drugs so thanked me for the education.

She also thought it would be a good idea in the future to send out or sell all Mepron sealed but would not give me replacement packets for my tiny unsealed bottle of Mepron that I received from Walgreens mail order dept. from Briges to Access.

She said the number to call if other people would like to complain about Mepron or Malarone is the GSK response center

888-825-5249

cactus
Member # 7347

Oh cool! Thanks for the number, Vanilla. I will definitely call - oops, it's late so it might be Monday, but I will call about this. They need to know there's a problem with dispensing their meds.

I'll be sure to tell them that I got the number from Vanilla, of Vanilla and the Ticklettes, so I get the star treatment [Wink]

--------------------

cactus
Member # 7347

Called, filed a report.

The good news is that I found out it's possible to request the pharmacy fill my order with one factory sealed bottle and enough of the sealed packets to make up the remaining part of the order. No need for the pharmacy's dispensing bottles at all.

--------------------

Vanilla
Unregistered

That is cool. Do you have to pay extra for that?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement