LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lung symptoms.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lung symptoms.
LZOChicago
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8641

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LZOChicago     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all-

Starting to panic a bit, so thought I'd post and get some informed opinions!

I have had Lyme since Memorial Day 04... Treatment started almost 2 years after.

I have had minor wheezing off and on the whole time (mostly off), slight cough, and constant post nasal drip. Every doctor and LLMD I have seen hasn't heard anything - say lungs sound clear. I had a CT of the lungs in march and it was clear.

I started with a new LLMD yesterday who listened to my lungs and asked if I have asthma of bronchitis, which I never have had - maybe now? He said it could be mucus making the sounds. He also tested me for chronic strep. Does anyone know how to test for chronic strep? He took a lot of blood, but did not do a throat culture.

I am trying to remain calm, but my mind is starting to wonder what it could be. Has anyone had this - what are the potential causes? I suspect babs. Could BAbs cause this?

Thanks for your insight!!

Posts: 117 | From Chicago, IL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lz, hang in there; relax; watch a good comedy and laugh your guts out.

i have a lot of lung problems too since i've had lyme for 37+ years.

constant coughing; especialy at ed time;

nose is plugged up constantly; bedtime worse.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi LZO--

My 'asthma' of many years seems to have gone away mostly after starting babs treatment.

Imagine my surprise! Seems that many of my lung symptoms have improved greatly after a couple of months of malarone once/day for babesia.

You might want to speak with your llmd about testing for and treating babs. Remember the babs tests are unreliable though, and can lead to false negatives.

But testing is still desirable for most docs, because a positive test is powerful justification to treat (even while a negative test does not mean do not treat.)

Remember, you can always treat the symptoms at the same time as the root cause. I have been carrying around my emergency asthma inhaler for years, even though I do not use it much anymore it is reassuring to have with me on a daily basis in case breathing is difficult.

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LZOChicago
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8641

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LZOChicago     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Betty -

So are you saying it is a LYme symptom? I think my last LLMD said that Lyme stays away from the lungs.

Vermont-
Thanks for the reply! I strongly suspect Babs. My new LLMD isn't convinced I have that because I don't have the fatigue - but I have vertigo, small red dots, night sweats, shortness of breathe. The lung symptoms are barely noticeable - hence the other doctors saying my lungs are "clear". BUT...still I want to be on top of it, esp now that the doctor heard something. He started me on artemisinin and cat's claw for the next month until my test results come back. Hopefully that will help!

Posts: 117 | From Chicago, IL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Night sweats, vertigo, and shortness of breath are classic babesia symptoms, to my knowledge.

Yes, I would definitely recommend treating it, if I were you, in my non-doctors experience! Remember that a negative test does not mean that it is not present.

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes- BABESIOSIS can present like asthma, heard that anecdotally over the years from support group people- and Ehrlichiosis/Anaplasmosis can cause lung problems as well- lung problems can be Babs or Ehr!!!! (or Lyme, but more often it seems to be Babs or Ehr which both can be seronegative!!!!!!!!!!!)
Pleural effusion tends to be Ehrlichiosis...
Babs can change the acid/base balance of cells and lung lining, forget where I read that, in some abstract- why I always suspect Babs with Lyme related hypoglycemia!!!!!!!!!!!!
Best wishes,
Sarah

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement