LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Low Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) - what to do?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Low Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) - what to do?
LZOChicago
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8641

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LZOChicago     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can someone please explain what this lab indicates? My result was low and I am wondering how to improve the number? My next appt is in July, and I would just like to do some research before that.

Does anyone else have this?

Posts: 117 | From Chicago, IL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I may be wrong, but I think a low number is a good thing for this blood test. I think high numbers are possible indicators of Bartonella.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dontlikeliver
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think a low number is a bad thing. A high number though is not a great thing and can indicate, possibly, according to some LLMDs, Bartonella (although my LLMD does not believe it does indicate Bartonella).

Mine was about 4 times over the high normal range. I'd forgotten about that, you just reminded me [Wink] now I'll be panicking about it again!

DLL

Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nebula2005
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nebula2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to Dr. Richie Shoemaker in "Mold Warriors"--

Low VEGF (Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor)is common in biotoxin patients.

High levels stimulate new blood vessel growth, which is being studied in cancer and heart disease.

You can also have VEGF resistance, which means the receptors are blocked by low oxygen, which can be determined with a pulmonary stress test.

Mine was 47, but LabCorp's range is 0-115, so I don't know if that's low or not.

Posts: 353 | From Florida boonies | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LZOChicago
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8641

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LZOChicago     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the replies! I am having a hard time finding info on this lab on the web. The reference range for the lab was normal 31-86. My result was listed as <31. The doctor seemed to think it was significant but hasn't said anything, probably waiting for the other test results to go over everything.

Interesting about VEGF and Bart. I was treated for Bart last year...

Posts: 117 | From Chicago, IL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Dr. S's babesia book, he states that low or high VEGF can indicate biotoxin illness. Artemesia products lower VEGF. Low VEGF is good for cancer because it means the tumor is not getting a full blood supply but if one is not fighting cancer, a low VEGF can cause aches, foggy thinking and fatigue during or after exertion.

He suggests treatment by using cholestyramine 3-4 packets a day, carefully remediate and remove any indoor mold and use 9-10 omega 3 enteric coated fish oil capsules per day. The enteric coating prevents the fish oil from annoying your stomach.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Angiogenesis is the formation of blood vessels...new ones...near tumors.

Some persons/researchers believe this "feeds" the tumor, others believe it is the body's attempt to send nutrients (primarily oxygen) to the tumor to destroy it.

Here is one viewpoint:

VEGF and tumors

Using the same technique of watching the cancer through a window, Jain and his colleagues at MGH and other institutions found that

VEGF plays a key role in testosterone-dependent tumor relapse.

In the September 1 Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, the researchers report that

without VEGF, endothelial cells in tumors started to die off within 24 hours.

As tumors started to shrink, the blood vessels lost their tangled appearance and shrank in size, as well.

However, the authors note, as the tumors regressed, the pores in the blood vessel walls closed, creating the dilemma that while drugs may slow a cancer's growth, they may also shut the door on future treatment (see Focus, April 17, 1998).

"That means that by the second or third round of therapy, the holes in the blood vessel walls have gotten smaller," says Jain. "It's a new mechanism of drug resistance induced by the tumor as it shrinks."

Continuing to observe those same tumors about two weeks later, Jain and his colleagues could see blood vessels crowding their way back as the cancer relapsed.

Under the window in the mouse skin, a few blood vessels transformed into a thicket of blood vessels. Jain and his colleagues then determined that VEGF was driving the regrowth.

The finding, says Jain, demonstrates that anti-angiogenesis may become a key supplement to hormone therapy for human prostate and breast cancer.

http://focus.hms.harvard.edu/1998/Oct2_1998/complete.html

Testosterone -> estrogen.

Cancer cells originate as epithelial cells (line the blood vessels). They have very few mitochondria (powerhouses) left...most are damaged. As you likely already know...there is DNA damage and the cells grow and spread out of control. Cancer cells are undermethylated. Cancer cells use glucose, NOT glucose + oxygen for energy. Cancer cells secrete lactic acid.

Sound familiar?

The ROOT cause is an infection that causes the above.

The pathogen ACTIVATES ONGOING NFkBIKKA.

When this is activated too long, this -> INactivation of a tumor SUPPRESSOR gene which makes for us an enzyme/protein called maspin. When maspin levels drop too far...hello cancer.

We have to INactivate NFkB...but very carefully because some (not all) of the things that do this Bb is dependent on...such as cysteine and glycine (2 of 3 nutrients needed to make glutathione).

Bb's zinc fingers are an enormous problem. As they are in HIV. Zinc fingers are cysteine and histidine bound to zinc.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My result was 28 on a ref interval of 0 - 115. I have no idea what this means.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andreading
Member # 51004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andreading     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this thread still active?
Posts: 8 | From NJ | Registered: Nov 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Andreading,

No. It's ten years old. Of course, the replies are still good answers for that specific question asked.

Welcome to LymeNet. Sorry for why you are likely here yet I hope you find what you need here to make your life better.

You could add a new question and revive this tread if it's basically the same

but it's best if you start a brand new thread with whatever your question is so that it's more specific to your situation at this point in time.

Your "headline" should be as specific as possible for your situation.

For what it's worth, and seeing that you may be new to lyme, etc. endothelial tissue is a target of lyme and other tick borne infections.

As TerryK noted, babesia can go after endothelial tissue.

Babesia is a tick-borne infection very different from lyme and requires very different treatment.

I've also read that spirochetes can target and hide out in endothelial tissue.

Endothelial tissue is what lines the blood vessels - and blood vessels are all though out the body.

And the inflammation and infection assault by lyme / TBD (tick borne disease) - well, when endothelial tissue is affected is first and foremost best dealt with by addressing infection - along with key support measures.

If infection(s) are not being addressed assertively and directly, support will never be enough.

But, if one does not have access to a LLMD or assertive and direct support, while they work out how to get that, some supports can be very helpful. Turmeric, for starters. Any support that helps lessen inflammation is important.

Be sure to post a new thread, though, so that you can start your own discussion if you have a question different from the heading of this thread.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andreading
Member # 51004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andreading     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Keebler! I posted a new thread as well but was freaking out about the low VEGF as the first thing that pops up when I googled is ALS.

I tested via Igenix: 31+ 39 I. 41 +++. I also have low C3a and borderline vitamin D and eos. Otherwise, my bloodwork looks great. But my neurological symptoms suck!!

It began with peripheral neuropathy and feeling faint with heart racing. My heart pain and dizziness went away after two weeks of doxy. However, I had the worst head pressure at the base of my head, along with super sensitive hearing, over reactive reflexes, and sensitivity to light. Then I started twitching and having tremors on the doxy in addition to my original peripheral neuropathy.

4 weeks went by, where I was terribly weak and the neuro symptoms began to worsen. Then my llmd got the test back from igenix and put me back on doxy but 3 Times a day. The first week was so bad, I had to take an anti- anxiety. Two weeks into the doxy and one week on amitriptyline I feel a lot better. Less twitching, tremors, and neuropathy. However, I still have lots of muscle cramping, burning, and joint pain at times. What’s frightening is it’s all primarily on the right side😬.

Has anyone had these symptoms??? I just would find comfort that others with lyme have had similar experiences. I’m trying not to freak out! Part of me thinks the amitriptyline is masking everything. It’s not really helping with the anxiety, although I can sleep at night now which is amazing!

Posts: 8 | From NJ | Registered: Nov 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Andreading

I just copied your last post to your new thread over here so it can be all together with your posts and others' replies to you:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/136528?#000000

Topic: muscle cramps, burning, and low C3 and VEGF
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement