LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Kelmo's Daughter's Babesia Blood Smear...photo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kelmo's Daughter's Babesia Blood Smear...photo
Michelle M
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here it is. Nasty little creatures! If anyone else needs help posting, email me!

Michelle
 -

[ 02. June 2007, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: Michelle M ]

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelmo,

Sorry for the positive test results, but at least now you know what is most likely causing your seizure-like episodes.

At least no one can accuse the lab of using the same photos for everyone (have heard that statement made in regard to Bowen).

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelmo, it doesn't appear to be a severe infection, so maybe that means there won't be too bad a herx with treatment?

When looking at my own blood sample slides (dark field, I think) for simple blood analysis through various independent practitioners, I was told that those little 'dots' that are out in the middle and away from the red blood cells are usually L-form bacteria.

Does anybody know if that holds true with the F. Lab analysis?

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GenaD
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11988

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenaD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelmo,

That looks familiar!

I'm noticing her density was "2"..so that's a mild or moderate infection, right? Mine was 3 (moderate).

My LLMD also said that different strains are worse. Microti and duncani are supposedly very powerful.

The good news is, it isn't "severe"...and now you know and can go after it!!

--------------------
"Never underestimate the power of a few committed people to change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has."
--Margaret Mead

Posts: 290 | From New York | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
painted turtle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for painted turtle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just received one of these pictures myself with a "4", which really threw me for a loop.

TOTALLY don't want to do this treatment thing!

Good luck Kelmo.

[Smile]

--------------------
www.lymefire.blogspot.com

Posts: 855 | From United States of Mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelly,

Did it come back positive for Bartonella, too? I'm a little confused.

You and I both have seizure-like episodes, and I've been assuming mine are Bart. But I haven't been treated for Babesia yet, so maybe mine are the Babesia getting worse.

Thanks for sharing the photo.

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry guys...this isn't mine, this is my daughter's picture. See the name...anna on the top.

She had been on zith and rifampin for a year when this was taken, so I'm sure not many babesia will be out in the open. She has sure herxed something fierce since starting mepron in March.

Her ANA titers were down with bartonella treatment, then went up to 1:640 with babesia treatment. After a couple of months, they are back down to 1:160. So, something is going on.

Maybe we should edit the subject to say Kelmo's daughter's photo.

Mine will be coming in a couple of weeks. Dr. F suspects that I am also infected. And, that well could be my seizure cause.

Kelly

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelly,

Thanks for the clarification. That teaches me to not read all the details first!

Good luck with your test, too.

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jasonsmith
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jasonsmith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those "rings" look different than the "rings" in my slide. My "rings" look too perfect and centered in/on the red blood cells.
Posts: 310 | From TN | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heres Theileria spp-ring stages in erythrocytes

-

Bartonella bacilliformis looks same as B,spp

-

The Babesia ring forms mimic those of Plasmodium falciparum, thus the mistaken diagnosis of malaria.

-

These two images show typical Plasmodium falciparum rings, note that they tend to be more consistent in shape than those seen in a case of babesiosis. In these images one can see multiple rings/cell, but often only two rings/cell are seen. Also, note the "headphone" appearance of the rings; no rings are seen outside of the RBCs.

-

Babesia canis
Trophozoites (red arrows) in the red blood cells of a dog.

-

[ 05. June 2007, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: treepatrol ]

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Babesia Gibsoni dog
 -

Anaplasmosis in a cow
 -

Leishmania - Currently being observed in Fox Hound in the United States
 -

Most of these scattered over google image searchs, bottom ones from:
Vetmed

--------------------
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Babesia
 -

Babesia
 -
Babesia
 -
Malaria
 -
Plasmodium falciparum rings young trophozoites
 -

KEY POINTS - LABORATORY DIAGNOSIS

1. Blood smears should be prepared upon admission of the patient.

2. Both thick and thin blood smears should be prepared. At least 200 to 300 oil immersion fields should be examined before the smears are considered negative (use the 100X oil immersion objective).

3. Wright's, Wright/Giemsa, or Giemsa stain can be used, although Giemsa is the stain of choice for blood parasites.

4. Babesia parasites may be missed using automated differential instruments. Even with technologist review of the smears, a light parasitemia is very likely to be missed.

5. There does not have to be any significant history of travel outside the United States. If organisms are seen, they will mimic P. falciparum rings.

6. No morphological stages other than ring forms will be seen. The classic arrangement of the four rings (Maltese cross) is not always seen.

7. One negative set of blood smears does not rule out a Babesia infection.

8. Confirmation of morphologic differences between Babesia and malarial rings might require examination of Giemsa-stained blood films.

[ 05. June 2007, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: treepatrol ]

--------------------

Newbie Links

Cold Feet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold Feet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is an amazing topic. Thanks for the photos and comments! Very helpful indeed.

--------------------
My biofilm film: www.whyamistillsick.com
2004 Mycoplasma Pneumonia
2006 Positive after 2 years of hell
2006-08 Marshall Protocol. Killed many bug species
2009 - Beating candida, doing better
Lahey Clinic in Mass: what a racquet!

Posts: 830 | From Mass. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kelso, [group hug] [kiss]
best wishes to your daughter on her new diagnosis..

michelle, thanks for copying photo here with all the detil, and TREEPATROL, big thanks for the other photos too. i copied this link to my newbie link to help others!! [Wink]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

up

--------------------

Newbie Links

merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am curious if anyone had neg blood tests but positive smears like this?

Thanks

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by merrygirl:
[Q] I am curious if anyone had neg blood tests but positive smears like this?
Thanks [/Q]

Merrygirl,

I had negative blood tests for Bart from Igenex but had a blood smear that came back positive for Bart (from F lab). I would post the photo, but this isn't my topic and don't want to barge in, you know. If you're interested, I could PM you the photo, or you can search for it -- I don't know the entire title, but you can type in "So Happy" and it should be the only one that comes up. That's the post I posted when I found out the positive results.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cidanu
Member # 12503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cidanu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i had completely negative blood smears but extremely high antibody titers to babesia duncani.

has anyone else had this and what does it mean?

Posts: 35 | From Washington, dc | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, it is very interesting, but also frustrating!!

WHY OH WHY CAN'T WE HAVE GOOD TESTS??????

[Eek!]

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tested positive for band 41, but my blood slide was CLEAN. Been having symptoms for years, though.
Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kelmo:
[Q] I tested positive for band 41, but my blood slide was CLEAN. Been having symptoms for years, though. [/Q]

Me too! Only band 41++ IgG positive but I got lucky and had a positive Bartonella slide. I am so thankful I got that to show me. I prayed so hard for an answer, and I got one from that slide.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement