LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Quinine Ears Ringing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Quinine Ears Ringing
sunnyslumber
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunnyslumber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi to all of you,

Question, My ears have been ringing with taking the quinine even at a relatively low dose according to the guidelines. So my question is should I stop because the damage could become permanant? Or will it go away once I stop no matter how long I'm on it?

I'm really scared of getting constant tinnitus, since one of my immediate family has that, and I don't think I could deal with that on top of everything else. Also, sorry I was going to try to make this mildly funny and witty for once but I'm really tired now so "nuts to that!" [bonk]

Thanks to all for reading and please share your thoughts/experiences

john duncan

Posts: 122 | From San Diego, CA, California, United States | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi John,

I've only tried one dose of Quinine (years ago for muscle cramps) and it was screaming loud ringing.

I'm sure someone with practical experience, and advice, will be by soon.

Have you asked the LLMD what they think?

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minoucat
Member # 5175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John, the hubby is on quinine and clindamycin for babs. Every other babs tx has failed, so he's doing his best to ride this out.

The ringing starts low and gets pretty loud -- loud enough that he has trouble hearing me at normal conversational tones.

He's managing it by taking treatment breaks of 3-5 days every 2-3 weeks, when the ringing is loud. When it subsides, he goes back on treatment.

I'm not recommending this (or any treatment!), but it works for him, and the tinnitus does fade within 48 hours of stopping the quinine. His babs sx are much reduced (possibly gone, but he's going to continue treatment for another month to be sure).

I have corresponded with quinine users who found that the tinnitus did last beyond treatment, but I don't know whether it became permanent or eventually faded. You have a valid concern. I also don't know if there are people more susceptible to tinnitus from quinine than others -- if you can find a good pharmacist it would be a great question to ask.

Are you experiencing any muscle or tendon pain from the quinine? (The hubby's really sore, and we're trying to figure out what's causing it).

Be sure to protect your liver and get your liver bloodwork done while on quinine.

Best of luck.

--------------------

RECIDITE, PLEBES! Gero rem imperialem!
(Stand aside plebians! I am on imperial business.)

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micul
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for micul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Velveteen : The very long link to the abstract does not work unless the person has an account. Would you please remove it....these long links make reading threads difficult.

The following link will explain 2 different ways of creating a tiny url. One using this site for creating the tiny url and the Tiny Url site itself that has an explanation as well. I hope that you will be able to use one of them. It's really very easy.

Tiny Url Instruction Thread

--------------------
You're only a failure when you stop trying.

Posts: 945 | From U.S | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lifeline
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lifeline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did take Quinine at one time and also Zith, and I do have permanent tinnitus, or so it seems to be permanent. Lots of my symptoms are gone, and one that persists is tinnitus.

The ringing (after being off of abx for 3 years now) is persistent, and sometimes, even not as loud, but I am thinking of getting a "white noise" machine for night, as I am resolved to believe this is permanent for me.

Mostly, I just deal with it.

I did refuse taking Plaquenil due to possible eye problems, but at the time didn't think about tinnitus being an issue. My mistake.

Catching it early is the key, so we do have choices of which meds work best for us.

Much luck.

lifeline

Posts: 983 | From FL | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi John

I took quinine for several months--
I did get ringing ears- Screaming Loud--
was no fun --

It did stop after awhile --

It is important to take with food--
(lowers ringing effect)

Also take lower doses and spread thru
the day helps too --

Tonic Water worked well for me and had
no side effects except for the taste--
1 to 3 liters aday -

Ringing has mostly stopped for me--
and only seams to happen now when
I'm herxing -

It did take a month or 2 to
stop tho -Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunnyslumber
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunnyslumber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for your warm and helpful replies. I'm going to try and make the dose even lower and more throughout the day than at one time. I can do that a little bit. Also I've tried to contact my doctor but they are on vacation (just my luck). Hopefully there is a low dose where the ringing isn't there, but that is still efficacious vs. the Babesia. Hope that is not asking too much...

I did have something similar happen a while back with flagyl which eventually subsided when I quit it. Anyhow the its just the thought that I'm experimenting on my body, and it could end up being even more screwed up without even curing the babesia is... disconcerting.

Thanks trueblue, minoucat, micul, Velveteen Girl, Lifeline & Jay.

john duncan

Ps. That is really cool that you know latin minoucat! I've always wanted to learn that language (partially because I thought it would make the other european languages easier for me to learn, what a great mentality get to your goals in the easiest way possible [Wink] )

Posts: 122 | From San Diego, CA, California, United States | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minoucat
Member # 5175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey John -- I did do years of latin once upon a time in grammar school, and here is what we thought of it:

Latin is a language
Dead as dead can be
First it killed the Romans
And now it's killing me.

I've forgotten most of it, but I can still sing the first verse and chorus of "Come all ye faithful" in Latin, decline the verb "To Love" (HA! That's Freudian for you!). And if I'm ever in a position to do so, I can tell a Roman soldier with great authority that "Aquina is a farmer, and Agrippina is his wife."

I recommend finding a latin phrase cheat-sheet (no, I'm not sharing my source) -- so much more time-effective to look intelligent and well educated than actually be that way.

More on quinine -- 1)it should combined with clindamycin or some such abx, and 2) primaquine/chloroquine has worked for some other people, and has fewer side effects and I believe is less ototoxic than chloroquine. Didn't work for the hubby but might be worth a try for you. Check out posts by Liz28

Sit vis vobiscum
May the Force be with you

--------------------

RECIDITE, PLEBES! Gero rem imperialem!
(Stand aside plebians! I am on imperial business.)

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement