LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » mitochondria supplements = big energy boost

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: mitochondria supplements = big energy boost
bejoy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been using the full combination of supplements recommended as mitochondria food for about two weeks.

My energy level has doubled, and I have been able to decrease my cortef by about a third.

I recommend this protocol wholeheartedly, as I believe the mitochondria (the energy producers of the cells) get damaged from intra cellular (l-form) lyme and mycoplasma infections.

I take the following supplements in the following dosages:

Co-Q 10 (100mg 4x day)
(I started on 1600 a day for a week then reduced)
L-Acetyl Carnitine (500 mg)
Alpha Lipoic acid (110 mg)
Magnesium (500 mg 2x day)
NADH (Co-E1 or Vit B)(2.5 mg)
(note: always take B's with a complex)
D-Ribose (about 2 tsp a day)

I take about a half tsp of D-Ribose (a sugar that feeds the mitochondria) under the tongue when I feel low, aout four times a day, and I get a boost in about ten minutes. I've also lost my craving for chocolate and sweets.

D-Ribose is also available in tablets with added sugars. I imagine that those on abx might want to stick to a D-Ribose powder sublingual, and chase it with a probiotic or nystatin wash.

Thanks Marnie, for turning me on to all this stuff.

Note: I think this protocol is a miracle, but everybody is different. As always, check with your doctor or your own self.

I personally only add one supplement at a time at least a week a part, so I can get a better idea of what the results are from each.

There are several posts on this topic over the past month, if you want to research.

Best to all in your healing process!

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's great news bejoy! Thanks. I've been looking for an energy booster.
Where can you get D-Ribose?
And, do you take all these things together?

Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bejoy
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ordered D-Ribose and some of the others from Vitacost.com. They have pretty good prices (Ribose was 21.91 for 200 grams) and one price of 4.99 for any size order.

I do take all those supplements together, but added them one at a time.

The CoQ 10 also gave me a very significant energy boost when I added it in. It is quite pricey, but I find it worth the money!

I can't say if D-Ribose would work as well for me without the rest of the list, since I added it last.

I hope you also get some good results!

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Used to experiment with these supplements, now they just give me panic attacks and anxiety.

Stinks

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why do you think they give you panic attacks? Because of swallowing so many pills?
Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisBtheLymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8916

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChrisBtheLymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been taking all those supplements for my mitochondria for over a year now.
They made a MASSIVE difference. I had about 3 X the amount of energy after 3 months - keep taking them and you could improve further.
The last 6 months I haven't been taking them as much and feel absolutely exhausted again, so I am starting to take them again.

Posts: 263 | From UK | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairenotes
Member # 10392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairenotes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting your progress, Bejoy.

Laboring through the supporting research certainly can be fruitful.

Hope the positive effects continue.

Claire

Posts: 1111 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks bejoy for posting about your experience!

I take most of these supplements, though at lower doses, and they really help my energy too! Especially the CoQ10 and NADH.

The one thing that I do not use much is D-Ribose. Since it is a form of carbohydrate (a sugar), I wonder whether it may exacerbate any yeast issues, which I am constantly fightinig off. Any thoughts on that are welcome!

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minimonkey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minimonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
L-Carnitine helps me a great deal with energy. I've also found that N-Acetyl-Cysteine helps a lot -- not only is it liver protective, but it is also a precursor to glutathione, which tends to be very low in us.

--------------------
"Looks like freedom but it feels like death..
It's something in between, I guess"

Leonard Cohen, from the song "Closing Time"

Posts: 822 | From California | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
D ribose is a 5 carbon sugar not a 6.

Big difference.

These are the sugars Bb can use:

"the monosaccharides glucose, mannose, and N-acetylglucosamine, the disaccharides maltose and chitobiose, and glycerol."

I think Bb's PKC inhibitor is PKC DELTA. So...Bb might not be able to use D-glucose either which is delta glucose = dextrose.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lymeHerx001:
Used to experiment with these supplements, now they just give me panic attacks and anxiety.

Stinks

No not because of the pills.

Anything that potentiates acetylcholine or nor-epinephrine gives me a panicky disconnected feeling. Even coffee does this now. Anything past the first cup and my head gets foggy and I actually get more tired.

Im too tired now to comprehend.

DMAE used to work great! Same with piracetam.

NADH just made me very horny at first and made everything very colorfull. This only lasted a couple of days. Its all down hill.

Im just going after yeast now. Forget the rest.

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ALA deplets biotin and maybe some other B vitamins...so it is important that you are taking the complex.

Many B vitamins are destroyed by our strong stomach acids, so it is good to be sure to drink a full glass of water when taking these to attempt to dilute the stomach acids somewhat.

Dr. Bruce Ames (Berkeley) has a product called Juvenon to help "heal the mitochondria" also.

It is recommended one take 2 capsules per day and (via a phone call to them)...ideally at 4pm as one hormone peaks then. Know which one?

Dr. Perricone has another way to heal the mitochondria...chromium + tons of acids plus a low glycemic index diet.

We make hydrogen all the time and it goes right into our cells, but to get it into the mitochondria (powerhouses of the cells) within the cells, that looks to require CoQ10.

I spoke with a pharmacist about this a long time ago. He worked at a local compounding pharmacy. He told me this is so important he and his wife take it daily, along with a multiple vitamin-mineral.

It doesn't look like Bb is IN the mitochondria, but is instead attached to our DNA which is also inside the cells.

This is tricky. We need to power the cells that are NOT infected, but at the same time, destroy or allow destruction of the cells that ARE infected/damaged.

Think of it this way...if we have cancer cells, we use drugs to specifically target those cells or we use radiation therapy to specifically target. Or we use very powerful chemotherapy which has a widespread systemic impact.

I'm glad you are feeling better!

For whatever reason, it LOOKS to take 2 years to heal no matter what "alternative" route one takes.

I wish I knew why exactly 2 years!

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
efsd25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for efsd25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome post Bejoy and excellent discussion. Have been using everything except the D-Ribose, which I will add.

Thank you shareing. These supplements have been the most important to me that I take!

Ernie

Posts: 546 | From Cascadia subduction zone | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jasonsmith
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jasonsmith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't there a med that you are not supposed to with the CoQ 10?
Posts: 310 | From TN | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElaineC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9857

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ElaineC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, if you are taking Atovaquone (Mepron or Malarone) for babesia you should not take COQ10!
Posts: 261 | From Herx-ville!! | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Geeze...

Check Interactions

No interactions were found for the drugs you selected.

You searched for interactions between the following drugs and herbs:

Coenzyme Q-10 � Mepron

Add or Delete DrugsStart Over with a New List of

Drugs(Note: Herbal products are not subject to review or approval from the FDA. Not all of the risks, side effects, or interactions associated with the use of herbal products have been studied. Not all drug interactions are known or reported in the literature, and new drug interactions are continually being reported. This information is provided only for your education and for you to discuss with your personal healthcare provider. )

http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/Interaction/InteractionResults?drug=&drugList=4021&cD=4021&cD=56&dN=%22Coenzyme+Q-10%22+%22Mepron%22+&CheckFDA=1

Furthermore:

Also, the anti-parasitic agent atovaquone ( Mepron ) used against Pneumocystis Carinii Pneumonia is a CoQ10 analogue .

http://www.hivresources.com/Newsletter/Issue43/Iss43p10.html

Definition of: analog

A representation of an object that resembles the original.

"Atovaquone (also called Mepron, or 566C80) is a napthoquinone used for the treatment of infections caused by pathogens such as Plasmodium spp. and Pneumocystis carinii.

The mechanism of action against the malarial parasite is the inhibition of dihydroorotate dehydrogenase (DHOD), a consequence of blocking electron transport by the drug.

As an analog of ubiquinone (coenzyme Q [CoQ]), atovaquone irreversibly binds to the mitochondrial cytochrome bc1 complex; thus, electrons are not able to pass from dehydrogenase enzymes via CoQ to cytochrome c.

Since DHOD is a critical enzyme in pyrimidine biosynthesis, and because the parasite cannot scavenge host pyrimidines, the drug is lethal to the organism.

Oxygen consumption in P. carinii is inhibited by the drug;

thus, electron transport has also been identified as the drug target in P. carinii.

However, unlike Plasmodium DHOD, P. carinii DHOD is inhibited only at high atovaquone concentrations, suggesting that the organism may salvage host pyrimidines and that atovaquone exerts its primary effects on ATP biosynthesis....

Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2000 March; 44(3): 713-719

Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Marnie. I have been wondering about this for a long time (for the 5 months that I have been on malarone).

Many lymenetters have posted not to take CoQ10 at the same time as mepron/malarone, but I could not find anything to document this interaction. I really missed my Coq10 during the first few months on malarone, had given it up!

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jasonsmith
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jasonsmith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are there any special places you like to get these from?

And I believe NAC is one of them too, right?

Posts: 310 | From TN | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bejoy
Member # 11129

I ordered D-Ribose and some of the others from Vitacost.com. They have pretty good prices (Ribose was 21.91 for 200 grams) and one price of 4.99 for any size order.

You may do better by surfing around the net for a while, but this was the best buy I found for an order of multiple items at the time.

--------------------
bejoy!

ibrakeforticks
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ibrakeforticks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/article.cfm?id=381
Posts: 204 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ConnieMc
Member # 191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConnieMc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had posted the following link a few days ago:

http://www.immunesupport.com/ep/EP072907/index.cfm

This work was done by Dr. Martin Pall and he has written a book called "Explaining Unexplained Illnesses".

Looks to be along the same lines. I haven't purchased the book as it is quite expensive. But will add a couple of the supplements. Many he recommends I already take.

If anyone has read or will read this book, please enlighten us.

Thank you!!

Posts: 2275 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Energy2Heal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Energy2Heal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand all of this except the following:

"NADH (Co-E1 or Vit B)(2.5 mg)"

What is this? Also:

"(note: always take B's with a complex)"

Do you mean B's should always be taken together?

Posts: 443 | From The Wild West | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valbeth
Member # 12715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valbeth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Couple questions and comments. Bejoy or Marnie, is this a version of the Pall protocol? If it isn't where is it from? If it is, why are there differences? Is the Magnesium malate or another form? I believe the problem with CoQ10 is with Artemsinin, not Mepron (same disease different tx).

I have been doing a lot of reading re Pall and Amy Lasko's work, and while there are major differences between them they both seem to focus on the production of nitric oxide. Once I get off the Arteminisin I want to address this probably, but am having a hard time picking a protocol- Pall, yours, or the simplified Lasko (very heavy in supplementing various B vitamins at it's most basic). Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

--------------------
Valerie
"A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Posts: 63 | From Jim Thorpe, PA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoadRunner
Member # 380

Icon 6 posted      Profile for RoadRunner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dont take mepron and Q10 together

Furthermore, we know this for certain, because Mepron blocks the transport of electrons, directly short circuiting the parasite's metabolism; whereas CO-Q10 functions to transport electrons, facilitating the parasite's metabolism.

That means that these analogues work in entirely opposite ways and the CO-Q10 can block and counteract the very mechanism by which Mepron attacks the parasitic infection. That's why our LLMDs caution against their concomitant use.

Please note, the research does NOT point to them being "pretty much the same" at all if one reads it carefully.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=89752
http://www.lymenet.de/literatur/atovaquone.htm
http://www.emedicine.com/ped/topic193.htm
http://aac.asm.org/cgi/content/full/44/3/713

It is very important NOT to take Mepron and CO-Q10 together and there are multiple warnings on this site about those interactions based on research as well as clinical experience treating Lyme and Babesia co-infections.

RR

--------------------
"Beep Beep"

Posts: 2630 | From ct | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoadRunner
Member # 380

Icon 6 posted      Profile for RoadRunner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=037733

RR

--------------------
"Beep Beep"

Posts: 2630 | From ct | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement