LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » eosinophil associated GI disorders

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: eosinophil associated GI disorders
Shosty
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am still trying to figture out why I can't eat many foods, all of a sudden, without becoming very ill for 3-5 days: corn, dairy, soy, wheat, nuts, citrus, avocados and pitted fruits, dyes...

I also have elevated eosinophils in my blood.

I went off antibiotics after 6 years, in April, and was on fluconazole until recently. One week after going off the fluconazole, I started having these problems.

I thought the food allergies were maybe still due to the yeast and "leaky gut," but the severity and multiplicity of recent reactions point to something else.

The site I was referred to, with info on Eosinophil related GI problems mentioned infections and parasites as one cause.Eosinophils are also a sign of allergy, or autoimmune reactions.

Could this be from a return of Lyme? My neuro symptoms aren't too bad, as long as I don't eat an offending food, but the reactions involve a severe flare of those neuro symptoms, if I eat a food that I am sensitive to. This is strange...

It is important to figure out, because, if this is leaky gut, abx would make it worse. If it is Lyme, then abx would be needed, and soon...I am down below 110 lbs. from high 120's, and don't want to lose any more!

Please let me know if any of you have been diagnosed with the eos. GI problem...Thanks!

[ 31. July 2007, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: Shosty ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
new member needs help folks! thx [Wink]
Shosty
Unregistered

I would really like to know if anyone else has developed problems eating due to sudden, severe food allergies, after going off abx for Lyme.

I have been off abx for 3 months now, after 6 years on - at this point, my neuro symptoms are also creeping back.

YorktownNL
Member # 7657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YorktownNL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why relate high eosinophil counts to GI issues?

I ask because I consistently have a high eosinophil count, since the bottom fell out two years ago but have not had much GI trouble.

Mike

Posts: 87 | From Yorktown VA USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shosty
Unregistered

Northstar, are you still on abx? (I do have a good integrative medicine MD but he is a little mystified).

Mike, what do you mean by the "bottom falling out." What happened to you? Are you okay now? Have you been diagnosed with any allergies, or autoimmune stuff, or have you been told that the infecton(s) are causing the high eos.'s?

Since eos.'s are related to allergy, and I am having food allergies, I was relating them to GI issues w/food reactions. Or, rather, was speculating about them. Not really sure. There is something called eosinophilic gastritis, which is helped with diet...

Earlier this year, I tried some hormone creams for bones/menopause that contained soy, as it turns out, and got very sick. Heart, breathing, GERD and also a lot of my Lyme stuff like burning, tremors, pain etc. At that time, I also had high eosinophils.

I would say that, for me, the bottom also fell out...but now that I have gone a week only eating rice, chicken, veggies, green apples and berries, I am feeling a little better.

The question for me is whether all this means the Lyme is fighting back, or whether it is the result of the abx treatment itself.

david1097
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for david1097     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are a wide range of diseases that presetn as GI problem and high Eosinophil count. Here's a no so bad link

http://www.answers.com/topic/eosinophilic-gastroenteropathies?cat=health

Not mentioned is another lyme like disease - Whipple's disease. I would read up on it. it is rare and easily missed by Dr's, even Lyme Dr's

Celiac also has been reported to have neurological effects, this is why some of the LLMD's test for it very early on.
This being said, since this came back after ABX treatment ended, its my bet that it is infection related.(buts that only my guess)

Posts: 1184 | From north america | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shosty
Unregistered

Thanks David. I have 2/3 of these symptoms. I was puzzled as to why I have suddenly developed asthma w/this, and also a choking feeling. Also feel full after eating little, and have bloating. Etc.

It looks like I am already doing a lot of the rememdies, including limiting food, and taking Gastrocrom for allergic inflammation, by mouth.

I stopped th abx after 6 years because I just felt like I couldn't take them anymore. For years, I could not go 2 hours w/out meds w/out getting very ill, but it seemed as if, after weaning for a few months, I could now tolerate being off.

So, yes, I think infection is a possibility. It is just so strange to have this happen so suddenly.

This topic is kind of specialized. I hope someone else can benefit from these answers. It is possible we are discussing "leaky gut" here (porous gut), with the new name of "eosophilic gastritis" or whatever- which could be from the abx themselves.

I'm all done - thanks again to all!

YorktownNL
Member # 7657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YorktownNL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shosty

Bottom fell out - nuerological lyme, couldn't remember my kids names....who was who, far beyond normal use of wrong name.

Bottom fell out - couldn't remember the beginning of a conversation while the conversation was still going on.

Bottom fell out - major head ache and heart palpitations and long list of other stuff

It was the heavy duty symptoms that are mostly resolved after two years of treatment. But my eosinophil count was high before treatment...before abx.

I never had persistent gi issues...i had some GI problems before lyme, but had eliminated those problems by eliminating sugar from my diet. Don't know if that was lyme or not.

I haven't had blood work in about a month. I've been feeling so very much better the past month or so since starting carnitor, stopping babs treatment and starting fibrozyme. Still on spectracef and azith and some other supplements. Recently added cats claw to boost my immune system.

I finally feel like I'm in charge, but still wonder about the eosinohil count which was not high before the lyme mess and has stayed elevated.

I never tested positive for lyme. Did for babs WA-1.

mike

Posts: 87 | From Yorktown VA USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement