LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Questran/Cholestyramine Experiences Wanted

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Questran/Cholestyramine Experiences Wanted
jjeennnniiee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jjeennnniiee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently restarted the Dr. Shoemaker Neurotoxin Elimination Protocol using Cholestyramine without Actos, because the Actos gives me way too many blood sugar problems.

I was actually on it for a short time recently, but got to feeling so bad from it, that I stopped it. It wasn't until I did so and felt worse that I realized just how much it was helping me in alot of areas, albiet it also makes me feel bad in alot of different ways too.

Weighing the plusses and minuses, I feel that I am receiving some positive benefit from it, so I plan to stay on it this time.

Right now, I'm only taking one to two 4mg packets per day though, but am supposed to work up to four per day.

I've started with a lower dose this time, in hopes of being able to control my response better.

So far, I've got the usual increase in fatigue, pain, anxiety, muscle weakness, burning skin, headache, dizziness, pressure in my head, chest tightness, shortness of breath, etc. that usually accompanies my herx reactions.

What do you know, if anything, about this protocol?

If you have taken it or know anything about it, what can I expect?

If you have taken it, what has it done for you, while you were on it and afterward?

Do you have any hepful advice on how to control the reaction better?

Since I take medications, such as T3 compounded thyroid, Armour Thyroid, Cortef (Hydrocortisone), and DHEA (sublingual), how in the heck do I manage to take it every 6 hours, plus not have to set my alarm and wake up in the middle of the night, just to take it?

Can I safely double my dosage and take it every 12 hours, instead, and still receive the same benefits, without increasing my chances of developing a bowel obstruction or any other gastrointestinal problems?

Since it's really constipating me, I'm thinking about trying some Colace, which is a stool softener. Do you think this would be alright? Do you know of anything else, possibly better, that I could take to help me with this?

Thanks! [Smile]

Love, Light, & Health,
Jennie

--------------------
My Lyme dx:11/05. My Mom's Lyme dx:5/16. ISO ASAP-Lyme Literate Dr & Neurologist-Prefer IL, IN, KY, MO, OH, TN. Can travel farther. Finances limited. Prefer Drs take Medicare or Payments. Need great list to find best fit. Tyvm.

Posts: 701 | From Owensboro, KY | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stella marie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stella marie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
J- I did this protocol 3 yrs ago and didn't notice anything different. I never got to the 4 packets a day because of the same problems you had, spacing all the meds and supplements.

I did this for 2 months and got up to 3 packs a day.

For the constipation you could try to up your magnesium intake???

Hopefully someone else will come along w/ the same herx reaction you had and be able to comment.

Good luck!

--------------------
Stella Marie

Posts: 694 | From US | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spacing the meds was a nightmare for me. But the real reason I had to quit taking it was due to intense stomach/abdominal pain.

I later had to have my GB removed, so maybe I couldn't handle the CSM because of this.

I took sorbitol for the constipation, but that caused the yeast to be worse. Catch 22 for sure!!

The Colace is OK IF it's the kind that does NOT have a stimulant in it. [try WalMart brand!]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jjeennnniiee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jjeennnniiee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Stella Marie,

Thanks for sharing! I'm sorry to hear of your experience and that it didn't work out for you.

I'm not too sure if it's going to work out for me or not, but I'm trying to give it a fair chance. I have such a hard time detoxing, which is why my doctor put me on it in the first place.

I'm only taking one 4mg packet per day, right now, but plan to go up to two, soon. I'm definitely feeling bad from it, but also good, in some ways.

If the stool softener I recently started taking doesn't work, I'll definitely try the magnesium.

Love, Light, & Health,
Jennie

--------------------
My Lyme dx:11/05. My Mom's Lyme dx:5/16. ISO ASAP-Lyme Literate Dr & Neurologist-Prefer IL, IN, KY, MO, OH, TN. Can travel farther. Finances limited. Prefer Drs take Medicare or Payments. Need great list to find best fit. Tyvm.

Posts: 701 | From Owensboro, KY | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jjeennnniiee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7964

Hi Lymetoo,

Thanks for sharing! I'm sorry to hear about your experience with it! I've had my gallbladder removed too, but, like you, I don't know how much difference that makes.

I don't need anymore yeast issues, so I'll definitely stay away from the sorbitol!

I just started taking a stool softener, which is stimulant free. The box says I can have three per day, but I wanted to play it safe, so I started with just one. Unfortunately, it didn't change a thing, so I guess I'll take two today and see what happens from there.

Love, Light, & Health,
Jennie

--------------------

tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have cholestyramine left over from my non-stop diarrhea days. Does this mean I should be taking it?

I go back and forth now, alternating between diarrhea and rock-hard stools. Hmmm?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nebula2005
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nebula2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jennie

One of my ex-doctors had me taking four packets a day plus WelChol. It caused my nerve symptoms to worsen substantially, plus caused horrible muscle pain.

If you can tolerate one packet a day, and it's helping, could you just stay on that dose?

My doctor was no help with this, didn't offer any suggestions on changing to a more tolerable routine. Which is why he is no longer my doctor.

It didn't bother my stomach, nor did it change my bowel habits. It did however make my poor butt totally raw! Like pooping ground glass!

Posts: 353 | From Florida boonies | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jjeennnniiee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7964

Hi Tailz,

I guess you could try it and see what happens. You'll never know until you do! [Smile]

Love, Light, & Health,
Jennie

--------------------

jjeennnniiee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7964

Hi Nebula,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with the drug and your doctor, but glad to hear he's no longer your doctor! Thank you for sharing though!

If increasing my dosage to more than one packet per day causes me alot of problems, this time, then yes, I'll probably just stick with taking one packet per day, at least for now. I figure something is better than nothing!

Love, Light, & Health,
Jennie [Smile]

--------------------

iceskater
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceskater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had problems like you with spacing the meds out and taking the medication. I had extreme constipation from the med and could only get up to a packet every other day. I wish I could have stayed on it.
Posts: 719 | From Delaware | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucy96734
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucy96734     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have recently started taking Cholestyramine, 3 packets a day. It is a pain trying to get them in away from meds and supplements and to keep supplements away from meds.

I increased my magnesium and have no issues with it.

I haven't noticed much difference with it. I was having severe itching on my arms that my LLMD thought detox would help. It has decreased a little.

Lucy

--------------------
Lucy

Posts: 342 | From Hawaii | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jjeennnniiee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7964

Hi Iceskater,

I'm sorry to hear that you had problems with it too! I think most people do and end up not taking it, as a result, even though it could end up helping them, if they would just look for ways to try to make it work.

I'm trying to work around my problems, since I want to stay on it, because I do feel that it is helping me alot already. Maybe the following ideas could help you to get back on it?

What if you could, at least, take one double dose, then two single doses, instead of four single doses, per day, so that you can take your other medications alot easier? My only concern with that though is that it might increase the odds of causing an intestinal blockage or obstruction though, as that's already a known risk. I'm not going to do this though nor am I suggesting that you do, without conferring with your doctor first though. I figure it never hurts to ask though, so I plan to do that soon and just maybe, he will say that it's okay to take it that way. I'll try to remember to post his answer here, when I get it.

As for constipation, what about trying a non-stimulating stool softener? I've started using one with docusate sodium in it. So far, I'm only having to take one 100mg pill twice per day and it's already helping me alot. If that hadn't worked, my next plan was to try magnesium, which several people here have suggested.

I'm just throwing these ideas out here, as suggestions, if you really thought it was helping you and you want to try to take it again, without having problems. Again, please confer with your doctor first though, before doing anything, which is what I always do, before I change anything, concerning my medications.

I've only been on it a short time, at just one, sometimes two, packets per day and my vision is already getting better! That says something very positive to me, as I did fail the visual contrast sensitivity (VCS) test!

I hope this helps you! [Smile]

Love, Light, & Health,
Jennie

--------------------

jjeennnniiee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7964

Hi Lucy,

How long have you been taking it and at what dose? Are you feeling better or worse and in what ways?

I agree it's hard to take it, as prescribed, along with other medications.

I'm glad to hear that magnesium is helping you! I haven't tried it, but instead, just a non-stimulating stool softener and so far, it's working.

I'm glad to hear that it's helping you with your itching! I itch alot sometimes, although not all of the time, which I think is from the buildup of toxins irritating my body, so maybe your LLMD is right to think that it will help you with that? Hopefully, in time, it will help you even more!

I posted some suggestions to Iceskater in this thread, which you might want to take a look at.

Good luck! [Smile]

Love, Light, & Health,
Jennie

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement