LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Zithromax: does it make anyone else sick?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Zithromax: does it make anyone else sick?
LaurenTurner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaurenTurner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All day yesterday I was throwing up. I couldn't even hold down water. I'm trying to figure out if it's a herx or side effect.

I started Zithromax Sunday night. So I'm guessing that was what caused it.

I don't know if I should continue taking it. I'm so scared of having a repeat of yesterday. It was AWFUL! I was throwing up, having chills and heat flashes.. and my whole body was aching, especially my back.

Has anyone else experienced this with Zithromax?

Posts: 248 | From Tejas | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.drugs.com/Zithromax/index.html

Azithromycin side effects

Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction:
hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat. Stop using azithromycin and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
diarrhea that is watery or bloody;

chest pain, uneven heartbeats; or

nausea, stomach pain, low fever, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).

Continue using azithromycin and talk with your doctor if you have any of these less serious side effects:

mild nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, or stomach pain;

dizziness, tired feeling, or headache;

vaginal itching or discharge; or

mild itching or skin rash.

Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another site-
http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/zithromaxsusp_ad.htm

Zithromax

SIDE EFFECTS

In clinical trials, most of the reported side effects were mild to moderate in severity and were reversible upon discontinuation of the drug. Potentially serious side effects of angioedema and cholestatic jaundice were reported rarely. Approximately 0.7% of the patients (adults and pediatric patients) from the 5-day multiple-dose clinical trials discontinued ZITHROMAX (azithromycin) therapy because of treatment-related side effects. In adults given 500 mg/day for 3 days, the discontinuation rate due to treatment-related side effects was 0.6%. In clinical trials in pediatric patients given 30 mg/kg, either as a single dose or over 3 days, discontinuation from the trials due to treatment-related side effects was approximately 1%. (See DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION.) Most of the side effects leading to discontinuation were related to the gastrointestinal tract, e.g., nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or abdominal pain. (See CLINICAL STUDIES IN PEDIATRIC PATIENTS.)

Clinical
Adults:

Multiple-dose regimens: Overall, the most common treatment-related side effects in adult patients receiving multiple-dose regimens of ZITHROMAX were related to the gastrointestinal system with diarrhea/loose stools (4-5%), nausea (3%) and abdominal pain (2-3%) being the most frequently reported.

No other treatment-related side effects occurred in patients on the multiple-dose regimens of ZITHROMAX with a frequency greater than 1%. Side effects that occurred with a frequency of 1% or less included the following:

Cardiovascular: Palpitations, chest pain.

Gastrointestinal: Dyspepsia, flatulence, vomiting, melena and cholestatic jaundice.

Genitourinary: Monilia, vaginitis and nephritis.

Nervous System: Dizziness, headache, vertigo and somnolence.

General: Fatigue.

Allergic: Rash, pruritus, photosensitivity and angioedema.

Single 1-gram dose regimen: Overall, the most common side effects in patients receiving a single-dose regimen of 1 gram of ZITHROMAX were related to the gastrointestinal system and were more frequently reported than in patients receiving the multiple-dose regimen.

Side effects that occurred in patients on the single one-gram dosing regimen of ZITHROMAX with a frequency of 1% or greater included diarrhea/loose stools (7%), nausea (5%), abdominal pain (5%), vomiting (2%), dyspepsia (1%) and vaginitis (1%).

--------------------
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
savebabe
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for savebabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't take oral zith. It caused GI upset and hearing loss.

If you are taking this with mepron or malarone you can switch to ketek or biaxin.

I found these two drugs much easier to tolerate.

Posts: 1603 | From ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonwithlyme
Member # 10942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonwithlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When my son was on Zith he experience terrible GI issues, ended up in the ER 3 times in 1 week with stomach spasms. His dr switched him to Biaxin which is in the same drug family as Zith, but it is a medicine that releases slowly. My son has been on this now for 9 months and has done very well. You may want to check with your dr to see if you can switch to Biaxin. Good Luck

--------------------
Robin
www.caringbridge.org/visit/dustineckert

Posts: 76 | From Carlisle Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaurenTurner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaurenTurner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the advice.

I wasn't sure if it was the zithromax or a stomach bug.

I took zithromax for the first time Sunday night. I didn't start getting sick until Monday afternoon. So I don't know if that's what caused it.

I decided to take my zithromax tonight. I'm hoping I don't have a repeat of the other day. If I do... I'll call my doctor and get switched. I was on doxy and had no problems.

Posts: 248 | From Tejas | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Lauren,

I had to switch from zith to biaxin due to ear ringing.

My husband couldn't take zith due to horrible stomach aches/pains.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellie K
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellie K     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lauren,

I have no experience with Zith, just wanted to say I'm sorry you're feeling so awful.

I too got stomach-sick this week from a new drug combo.

It sounds like it's hitting you really hard-- I wonder if you should pause until you can talk to your LLMD?

Sometimes I wonder whether severe nausa/vomiting is really a herx-- I tend to think it's more of a bad reaction telling you to stop the drug.

Posts: 390 | From Oakland, CA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EyeBob
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EyeBob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Azith at 1000mg per day made my ears ring, that's about it. I'm back to 500mg and no ringy dingy.

BT

Posts: 299 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paula Carnes
Member # 10912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paula Carnes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took Zithromax at 500 mg a day for years and had no problem. BUT you can take this with a full meal. I would certainly try the next pill with food to see if that helps.

Paula Carnes

--------------------
Paula Carnes

Posts: 23 | From Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have mega bloating, loose bulky stools, and feel hungry on zithromax. Is severe hunger a side effect?

My stomach hurts some, but mostly because I'm retaining water.

I think it gave me a yeast infection, too - this may explain why I'm suddenly able to tolerate apple cidar vinegar.

It seemed to unclog my sinuses and ears initially, but now it feels like some other bug took over.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

I took it for years with no problem too
but this sounds like a side effect!!!
Hope you switched to another*)!!!

--------------------
-John Ruskin

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement