LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » KGTV/ABC ANCHOR - BROOKE LANDAU APPEARING ON GOOD MORNING AMERICA!!! - Tuesday 8/28/7 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: KGTV/ABC ANCHOR - BROOKE LANDAU APPEARING ON GOOD MORNING AMERICA!!! - Tuesday 8/28/7
Ruth Ruth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ruth Ruth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just recieved this email from Brooke Landau this morning... (I got on her list after writing the station thanking them for covering her story.)

quote:
Feel free to pass along to anyone you think might be interested as well. VERY exciting news!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought you would be interested in the story of KGTV/ABC Anchor - BROOKE LANDAU. She will be appearing on "Good Morning America" with Diane Sawyer on Tuesday, August 28th. (Most likely between 8-8:30AM but time subject to change).

Brooke says they did over 5 hrs of taping with her in San Diego this week and she thinks it's going to be a FANTASTIC story! She spent a great deal of time talking about the most difficult obstacles we're all facing and the current political/medical controversy, and urged them to include this since it is the MOST important part of the story. On Tuesday she will go live on the set in NYC to discuss the topic further.

Brooke's 12 year battle is almost unbelievable. She literally went to bed fine one night and woke up unable to move from the waist down and neck up -- she wouldn't walk again for over a year and a half. Brooke then lost hearing on one ear, began to go blind, lost her short-term memory, 1/4 her body weight, developed heart problems, spinal menegitis, gall stones, colitis, and a myriad of other problems that finally just resolved this year...after receiving an experimental treatment that was not FDA approved but saved her life. Unfortunately doctors, including Brooke's, are being prosecuted for the treatment of Lyme -- several have lost their licenses!

The story is incredibly important for the millions of others suffering. And now that this horrific disease has affected the President, it seems to be a hot topic of the moment.

Prior to KGTV, Brooke was a producer for the "E! True Hollywood Story", a reporter for ESPN, Evening Anchor for CBS in Arizona and an EMMY winner for a piece she co-produced on her incredible ordeal. She was also a successful high fashion runway model.

Brooke's bio from KGTV is attached:

http://www.10news.com/kgtvnewsteam/11138901/detail.html

Tune in on Tuesday!

[edit: to include date of show in header... thanks BettyG]

[ 25. August 2007, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: Ruth Ruth ]

--------------------
When I lost my grip on Faith in the maze of illness,
Hope gently clasped my hand and led on.

RuthRuth

Posts: 478 | From California | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ruth, good news!

suggestion: could you enter 8-28 in your subject heading after good morning america ... a helpful reminder so people can set their vcrs, etc. to record this.

to edit, click PENCIL ICON which opens up subject line and body text. when done, click edit send. thanks

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YEA!!!!!! That's awesome!!! Wish I had a VCR!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann-OH
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sure the GMA website will have a video and/or a text story.

Ann - OH

--------------------
www.ldbullseye.com

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jasek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jasek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW! Thanks for the heads up, i'll be watching and taping.
Posts: 161 | From midwest | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopingandpraying
Member # 9256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopingandpraying     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As they say "Strike while the iron's hot!" We'll be watching too!
Posts: 8981 | From Illinois | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's keep this at the top till Tuesday!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few years ago, a reporter from ABC News interviewed some of us for a story but passed. She said Lyme was an "old story." Apparently not...
Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ruth Ruth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ruth Ruth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^

--------------------

RuthRuth

Posts: 478 | From California | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 2 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up
Ruth Ruth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11059

^ don't miss this, ok? ^

--------------------

RuthRuth

Ann-OH
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up

--------------------
www.ldbullseye.com

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soleilpie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Soleilpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've set my dvr to record it! I can't wait to watch it!

Thanks for the heads up Ruth!

--------------------
The best index to a person's character is how he treats people who can't do him any good, and how he treats people who can't fight back.
-Abigail van Buren (Pauline Esther Friedman) (1918-2002)

Posts: 409 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

uppers!!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Soleilpie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Soleilpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^

--------------------
The best index to a person's character is how he treats people who can't do him any good, and how he treats people who can't fight back.
-Abigail van Buren (Pauline Esther Friedman) (1918-2002)

Posts: 409 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

^^^ [Smile] ^^^

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know when this show would air in various time zones tomorrow morning? Like, I'm west coast time...
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellie K
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellie K     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope someone puts this up on youtube! [Smile]

I for one don't get up that early...

Posts: 390 | From Oakland, CA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairenotes
Member # 10392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairenotes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope I am not in transit, taking my daughter to school!

Thanks for posting this info, Ruth.

Claire

Posts: 1111 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there a way someone could record it and/or put on YouTube for those of us outside of the USA who cannot get Good Morning America??

DLL

Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just went to the GMA website to see if there was any way I might watch it online (dream on)...here's today's story on Lyme disease in print though (not the interview with Brooke Landau)..unfortunately it seems to quote only IDSA docs.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Germs/Story?id=3530027&page=1

Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glued to my TV!!!
Sorry I can't record it DLL !!

Posts: 983 | From The sky | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Member # 9064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave6002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will be starting at 8:00 east time am on ABC
Posts: 1078 | From Fairland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hate the Dr from Boston!!

"2,3 or 4 weeks of antibiotics earlier on the disease takes cures most of the cases as with Pres Bush"

Explain to me why even after starting doxy 48 hours after being bitten Im still sick!!

Off course doxy didn't treat my babesia, my bartonella, etc.

Love Brook !!!! Love her!!!!

She did a superb presentation..but one more time the edition is the last word and what the viewers perceive.

AND the guy who seems was the "�uthority" on Lyme never warned about/emphazise on how often is unreliable the bloodwork as Brook DID, co-infections, and most people not recalling being bitten so it should be DIAGNOSED according to clinical sx.etc,etc

Brook thanks thanks thanks thanks!!!!!!

I suggest to write to Dr Timothy Johnson the "�uthority" who from BOSTON downplayed our disease:http://www.wchstv.com/abc/gma/timothyjohnson.shtml

Posts: 983 | From The sky | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymedesign
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8791

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymedesign     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Germs/Story?id=3530027&page=4

Above is the ABC link to post comments in general.

This is the direct link to the ABC Editors:

http://abcnews.go.com/Site/page?id=3072379

Posts: 263 | From Georgia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6897

You can post or send your LONG list of comments also regarding Dr Tim Johnson (interviewed after Brooke) and todays Lyme segment:

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=1381567

This Dr seems to be a key person for ABC since he: "is one of the nation's leading medical COMMUNICATORS of health care information. As Medical Editor for ABC News, Johnson provides on-air medical analysis for "World News Tonight," "Nightline" and "20/20."

If we don't write he wont even know, if he knows about Lyme, the odds of spread the facts on lyme would be some how higher..... DO YOUR HOMEWORK people!!!! Let's write write and write include srories, MEDICAL ABSTRACTS facts statistics, etc.

valymemom
Member # 7076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just looked and saw there are 152 comments posted on the Owen Wilson story.

Brooke opened the door for us here. I am hoping we post more than 152 comments. Everyone has something valuable to add regarding diagnosis, treatment, and hardship.

I agree, also, that it is important to write Dr. Tim Johnson.....and important to flood the network with suggestions for a follow-up story/segment.

Posts: 1240 | From Centreville,VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Dr. Johnsons assertions time after time,,,"The tick HAS to be attached in excess of 24 hours for you to get sick,,,so just find them sooner!!"

PLUS they NEVER mentioned one iota on abx dosage required to 'knock it out early',,,It really sounded like any old abx for a few days and your fine,,,never a mention that MOST docs dont give enough dosage.

AND not a peep about coinfections,,,just lyme. Good info from Brooke,,,as far as it went,,,just never enough time for this subject,,,and MORE details please!!

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shoney
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shoney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wrote-we all need to flood the lines-awareness and press will lead to research
Posts: 561 | From eastcoast | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bejoy
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lymeblue:
Hate the Dr from Boston!!

Hate is a VERY strong word. Disagree w/his opinion is OK.

Dr. Tim is actually VERY cool and sympathetic to those with Lyme. While it may appear "downplayed," I can attest that he's aware of co-infects and our dillema and was really helpful. There is never enough time on a news show to cover all the bases.

Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted a comment- Lets keep it going~
Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MommaK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MommaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great News!

The interview is on the www.abcnews.com website. Look under HEALTH ! You may have to look under more videos to find the one titled "Chronic Symptoms, Undiagnosed Disease". It is 7:39 long ! http://abcnews.go.com/health should get you closer there.

I was watching Good Morning America not knowing this segment was coming up this am. When they said lyme disease I was frantically trying to figure out how to use the new DVR feature on our cable and missed some of the beginning.

I don't have sound on my computer, but I think the website may have a longer report than the TV show did! Somebody watch (and listen to it) and let us know!

Thanks, MommaK

Posts: 242 | From Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6897

Foggy you are right, I was too "radical" in my statement. I was extremely dissapointed.

But when you said: "I can attest that he's aware of co-infections and our dillema "
I bet you most of the people can't attest to this like you and what was aired didn't give a clue or hint to his awareness.Thanks for letting me know.

On the other hand, he had time to mention Pres Bush's brush with lyme to emphazise how easy is diagnosed and treated. WHY? Better not to say nothing at all and save some aired secs!

Maybe he didn't mean to, but for me Lyme was flatly downplayed as always. I bet he was instructed, knowing now, after you told me, that he "knows"about lyme....

One more time what was portrayed was a "patient emphazising how bad lyme is" and on the other side an " An IMportant High Profile MD emphazysing the "difficult to catch (at least 24 hours and rash) and easy to cure (Pres Bush's episode) phrase.

Thanks God Brook emphazised how unreliable bloodwork is.

Wondering why Dr Tim was in Boston.

On the other hand Brooke did great...she is amazing....I hope she can read this lines....I know she did a lot to have this segment out no matter what.

Sorry Foggy didn't mean to cause controversy.

improver
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for improver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched both tv and web site. They were the same. Here is the address for the page with the video, don't know how long it will be up.

Posts: 413 | From nj | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6897

Hey guys check out now the new links posted on ABC web even LDA link appear and other great links...LOVE IT LOVE IT.....http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Germs/Story?id=3530027&page=4
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay*)!*)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

[woohoo]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

RoadRunner
Member # 380

Icon 6 posted      Profile for RoadRunner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. Tim is no doctor B. lets get that straight right now.

RR

--------------------
"Beep Beep"

Posts: 2630 | From ct | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Brooke! Watching and hearing about your recovery made my day. Best wishes for your health.

I only watched the first half of the video, with Brooke's interview -- awesome! Did not see the following talking heads, was afraid they would get someone like Steere to speak to...

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Dave6002:
Will be starting at 8:00 east time am on ABC

How in the world did I manage to watch this at 8 a.m. CST????

I didn't even think about the time for CST and "went with" the 8 a.m. info.

[confused]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

3greatkids
Member # 3838

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 3greatkids     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great job!!!!

What a lovely person she is.
I was so touched, by her mention of the children.The ones sick most of their precious lives.

I wish the Dr. could have been left out of the interview.

Great job!!!

Posts: 1076 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mjo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7876

Icon 13 posted      Profile for mjo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree Brooke did a great job and made one important point--how poor the tests are. Her story showed how serious and disabling Lyme can be and that was good.

BUT! So much was edited out and missed. For instance:

Finding a doctor willing to treat is tough. AND
Why there aren't enough Lyme docs BECAUSE
They're run out of business just like Brooke's doctor. Imagine! For getting people well you get the boot.

The one image that sticks in my head is the bag of pills Brooke took in a day. THAT will hurt us.

Why don't we write asking ABC to make and run a show with what was cut??

Could have fooled me with Tim Johnson. His message was about what I expected, toeing the IDSA line.

Posts: 422 | From Luck home | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jellybelly
Member # 7142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jellybelly   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was touched also by when she brought up the children. I even noticed what looked like a little bit of a quiver in her chin as she completed this statement.
Posts: 1251 | From california | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoadRunner
Member # 380

Icon 6 posted      Profile for RoadRunner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
read 12:42pm post
sad story

RR

--------------------
"Beep Beep"

Posts: 2630 | From ct | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please post comments on the story and also send a comment to the editor.

This is what I sent to the editor:

Lyme disease is an epidemic but it's not recognized as one because the patients are misdiagnosed with MS, ALS, autoimmune disorders, mental disorders, etc.

The doctors who should be diagnosing the patients are ignorant in how to diagnose the disease, if they do decided to test - the tests are inadequate and if they do decide to treat, they are faced with losing their medical license for trying to treat a bacterial infection with antibiotics.

Do doctors who treat tuberculosis lose their licenses because they treat with antibiotics? Why do we have to fight the very system that is supposed to be helping us?

My husband became seriously ill two years ago. We live in California and the doctors here don't really believe in Lyme disease.

One bright urgent care doctor did test my husband about four weeks after he became ill. The test came back negative and we were too ignorant to follow it up despite the fact that at the bottom of the sheet it said he should retest.

A year later, we had the test repeated and it came back positive. My husband has been treated with antibiotics for nine months now and is maybe 20% improved.

He lives in constant pain and there isn't a part of his body that isn't affected.

Below is a site that lists testing for Lyme Disease by the federal government at military bases. Despite what the doctors say, Lyme disease is in California and most states as well.

http://members.utech.net/users/10766/003.txt

Posts: 984 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

This would be a great 20/20 or the aforementioned 60 Minutes so the entire story could be explored.

[ 28. August 2007, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: Foggy ]

kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought she was interviewed for five hours by Diane Sawyer. Will that interview air later?
Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Hey guys check out now the new links posted on ABC web even LDA link appear and other great links...LOVE IT LOVE IT.....http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Germs/Story?id=3530027&page=4

Making the link "clickable"...

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Ann in CA
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 97

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann in CA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem with that link is that one is IDSA and another is the neuro site (can't remember the actual name) that slam long term abx treatment. I emailed ABC and asked that ILADS and lymenet.org be added for some balanced coverage--hasn't happened yet.

At least ILADS and lymenet were mentioned in some of the comments.

Posts: 287 | From Northern California, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LocalMan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11648

Icon 13 posted      Profile for LocalMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the risk of being redundant...I an new to this chronic lyme !@#$ but I am ****ed about the choice of "expert witness/Dr" for this segment.

I think that Dr watered down, if not ruined, the impact of Brooke's story and the issues lyme sufferers are dealing with. I for one KNOW that there was not a tick on me for "24 or more" hours, no bullseye, etc...and that I WAS treated with anti bios for 8 weeks immediately after but STILL have this !@#$ing disease 4 years later.

I should be thankful that Brooke's story even made it on the air in the first place, but my anger at GMA's choice of Dr's overrides that feeling entirely.

Post your comments on the story here:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Germs/comments?type=story&id=3530027

LocalMan

Posts: 212 | From Eastern CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Journalism is supposed to cover all sides of the story. We should be grateful Brooke got to she her story at all.

I would love to know what symptoms she is still dealing with. They said she had her first negative test, but had a long way to go. What does that mean?

I'm sure as bad a case as hers, she would have some permanent damage that will take a while to heal.

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ruth Ruth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11059

She doesn't claim to be "cured" only to be in remission.

Listen to the radio interview and you'll get a little more of her story.
Thread about the radio interview

Radio interview: One Bad Case of Lyme Disease

Note: The ABC page has advertising you have to watch to get to the radio interview.

--------------------

RuthRuth

valymemom
Member # 7076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Over 125 posts on abcnews.

Keep posting so the numbers/stories overwhelm.

Posts: 1240 | From Centreville,VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ruth Ruth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11059

If you haven't already posted your comments, you might consider adding a link to ILADS.org so it stays at the top (since they haven't added it to their "links" page, too bad!)

Post your comments on the story here:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Germs/comments?type=story&id=3530027

--------------------

RuthRuth

Foggy
Member # 1584

quote:

Wondering why Dr Tim was in Boston.
Sorry Foggy didn't mean to cause controversy.

Don't sweat it. He's from Beantown & on an ABC affiliate. He's a rare breed who is the consumatte example of a bedside manner 101 course.

I felt compelled to give him props as he truly is a sweet, sympathetic and kind "old school" MD.

While not a LLMD per se, and at a time of great despair, his objective candor and suggestions motivated me to find a LLMD and get on agressive treatment for Lyme & Co-infects.

groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All --

Here is Brookes video on YouTube --

She did a Very Good job -

Click on link below to watch

Click here for video

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ruth Ruth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11059

Nice touch with the link to LymeNet.org at the end!

--------------------

RuthRuth

Lymeblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6897

Good Foggy....

Now after knowing what I know I have the following thoughts.

TO ALL Please don't judge me if my "words don't come all right"....I'm just trying to analize why no matter what we do somehow we have the same results at the end. As when Dr F from Columbia appeared last time.

1) I'm extremely glad about the segment on ABC, at least the words "lyme disease" were mentioned several times.

2) What was reported today on TV is not different from reports done in past years essentially. This frustrates me because every day more studies clearly show the true about Lyme, therefore meaning, everyday these reports are flatly ignoring the facts over and over, every year , no matter what.

3) After Foggy, added first hand , the fact that Dr. Tim Johnson is 100% aware of Lyme, and through his mouth we JUST listened, or subliminally perceived the opposite about his opinion regarding lyme: It hurts!! The same happened with Dr F.

We know Dr Johnson is somehow educated which I find extremely good , but one more time, key personalities on key positions have for many reasons to back off, bringing us down to the almost initial "state" or "point". This is not news in the Lyme Community.

This cycle of reporting Lyme "incompletely" or "ambiguously" has to change for the better.

I'm not asking for a 3 hours documentary on prime time tv, but the use of those few minutes to be aired should at least cover some "basic"or "minimum" facts about Lyme. If not many more years will come with the same results.

But in the mean time during those years we have LLMD's lisenses revoked or retired, sick children,etc

It is a race against time. And I think it would be a good idea to explore new avenues/approaches on how to spread the word. A lot of people is doing a lot these days...but WE need to do more and something different.

We can't espect different/better results with the same procedures already used in the past, specially when there is a well sustained "resistance" from the other side.

The science is even on our side, there is no doubt about it,also important personalities infected with lyme..what are we missing?

A high profile volunteer willing to give up?

Should we analize in depth and more detail how the AIDS activists were finally POLITICALLY heard? Or we need to design our "�WN" srategy since Lyme is not exactly as AIDS? Remember AIDS was linked to homosexuals at the beginning, which I bet was 300 times more difficult to become an activist at that time.

Should we emphazyse instead of Lyme Disease as a tickborne infection as Lyme Disease the cause of most of today's autoimmune disorders and syndromes which most of the times but NOT ALL are acquired throught insects.

My father used to "�motionally" pushed me and keep telling me "� criticize you and demand from you more and more because I know something good will come". go figure!!!

PLease one more time I want to reiterate how gratefull, pleased, and thankfull I'm for todays report but this is how I feel.

Sorry for talking to much.

But I perceive more "�cute" assaults on the other side than from our side, even though we own the science and we don't need to lie on each "�ssault".....

Lets keep doing what we can and never give up.....

cjnelson
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12928

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cjnelson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out my post
quote:
ABC Segment SUGGESTION PLEASE READ!

--------------------
Seeking renewed health & vitality.
---------------------------------
Do not take anything I say as medical advice - I am NOT a dr!

Posts: 830 | From TN | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am extremely bothered that some of the people who posted comments used the names of lyme doctors. What were they thinking? If it is not allowed on lymenet, why post it on a network website??????? Yikes.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

quote:
Good Foggy....

3) After Foggy, added first hand , the fact that Dr. Tim Johnson is 100% aware of Lyme, and through his mouth we JUST listened, or subliminally perceived the opposite about his opinion regarding lyme: It hurts!! The same happened with Dr F.

Subliminally perceived is the key phrase. If you listen carefully to his comments, they're a general fyi for the public. He's not an LLMD nor purports to be. Just a really nice guy who's both a journalist and an MD. In his journalist role, he retains his journalistic integrity by being impartial.

Many of us have a non-LLMD PCP who sit on the fence about Lyme. You can't expect them all to become LL, just tolerant & open minded. ****es me off, but that's the fact.

I've tempered my expectations of the media knowing that reporters often homoginize stories and condense information. Consequently, the finished product is probably different than the bulk of the interview. They also pick the experts and other sources, so interjecting different opinions is often obligatory.

If you've ever been interviewed by the media, and I have, it's easier said than done to cover all the bases. That said, we all appreciate the Brooke's of this world who fight the fight & spread the message.

I've met many dubious, arrogant and elitest academic MDs who were the bain of my diagnostic dilemma. Dr. Tim wasn't one of them...

Boomerang
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So great that Lyme is making the Mainstream News.!! Thank you Brooke!!1
Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by lou:
I am extremely bothered that some of the people who posted comments used the names of lyme doctors. What were they thinking? If it is not allowed on lymenet, why post it on a network website??????? Yikes.

I agree!!!!!! I guess some of them are not on Lymenet or they would know better!!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

cjnelson
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12928

Icon 4 posted      Profile for cjnelson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ABC Segment SUGGESTION PLEASE READ
quote:
GMA did a great story, in the time frame they had allowed.

I went online to CBS, 60 Minutes and contacted them through the bottom of the screen "CONTACT US"; Chose 60 Minutes show and SUGGESTION.

Suggested they check out the ABC segment and the comments posted. It is a great investigational opportunity that requires MORE TIME alloted to get all the information out!

Please go and post your suggestion too. Maybe if we inodate them with it, they will! Never know until we try...lets hit it while its HOT!!!

http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/60minutes/main3415.shtml

--------------------
Seeking renewed health & vitality.
---------------------------------
Do not take anything I say as medical advice - I am NOT a dr!

Posts: 830 | From TN | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

I was really ticked when I saw that first post by the woman in AZ.. What was she selling?!! The doctor or the product?
Lymeblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6897

Oh my God!!! 193 comments!!!!
Good impact.
Thanks Brooke!!!!

RoadRunner
Member # 380

Dr. Tim was bad period he showed IDSA views.

how about "we think" tick has to be attached 24 hours this is so untrue. A rash can start right away
this is facts happen to friend and saw it with my own eyes.

RR

--------------------
"Beep Beep"

Lymetoo
Member # 743

CJnelson...FYI:

[ 29. August 2007, 12:41 PM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't get in to the site to post a comment. I thought Brooke did well, and I'm really glad that she chose to do a national interview like this.

Her message was watered down by the other docs. They need ILADS doctors on there.

I wonder if we could call them directly. I'd like to speak to the abc staff about that, especially since I couldn't get in to post.

The stories are so sad to read. They are like the ones on the Oprah site. All I can hope for now is that the public will make lots of noise now about what we need and want.

We do not have to remain silent in doctor offices and take it anymore. If they try to tell us we are crazy, we tell them we are not; we are sick. If they try to say there isn't any Lyme in our area, bring the brochures for your state. That's what I did. Within 10 seconds, the surprised duck was holding brochures about Lyme in California in his hand. It's called taking action. We will tell them what we want, not the other way around.

Someone asked in the comments what the AIDS folks did to get the AIDS activism going. I recall that AIDS activists, as ACT-UP, went to the nation's capitol and threw blood on the steps, saying that AIDS was now in the nation's blood. Interesting, since many now are concerned that Lyme and coinfections are also now in the blood supply and no one is screening for it.

My question then: do we have sufficient tests to test for Lyme and co's in the blood?

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tutu, why did you post jay's post about cbs 60 minutes contacting him when he deleted entire post to all the arguing that took place later with tincup [confused]
Lymeblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6897

Amazing....223 comments!!!!
Lymetoo
Member # 743

betty....because cjnelson must not know that 60 minutes was recently contacted.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brooke,

thank you for the wonderful job you did on your live interview! i just downloaded it on my dial-up taking 90 minutes to download!

i had programmed it on my vcr, but the tape filled up before i got your portion on it!

What you said was extremely important info in the time they gave you.

were you able to have any input on the final editing of your live interview?

again, thank you for representing us lyme patients internationally! [group hug] [kiss] [group hug]

now, i'll go write the station, etc. [Wink]

dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

What is going on with the comments page. The last couple of times I checked the numbers have gone from 233 to 198 and 197...going down?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement