LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » what's wrong with my bowels???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what's wrong with my bowels???
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i just know this is a result of those andro/artemesia capsules. since i stopped taking them i have this awful burning sensation in my abdominal cavity, especially below the navel and side to side.

when i go poo, my texture is all soft and mushy but they are formed. sometimes i go 3-4 times a day and it's all just brown water.

when i eat i get stomach pain and lots of gurgling and noises.

and let's not forget the passing gas. oh boy, it's bad. you can't even be in the house with me. it's getting very embarrassing.

and another thing, my breath is so bad the entire bedroom smells bad in the morning, really rank.

i am taking therlac but i don't think it's helping.

i think i'll have to pay a visit to the gastro doc, won't i? heavens, i don't think i can go through a stomach or colon scope rigrt now.

do you think this will go away? got any ideas to help?

i'm sick at my stomach and no appetite. i feel like i'm going to throw up all the time.

looked everywhere on the web and ain't found nothing like this

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you get some L-glutamine and slippery elm?? Probably best to only take one slippery elm at first.

You may be able to bypass the scope if you'll do some natural things first.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This isn't really going to help you- but I just wanted to say- I am taking 100mg Minocycline along with 200mg Artemisnin(made by Allergy ResourceGroup) and I am not having any bowel problems.

I have had problems in the past-prior to Lyme diagnosis-colonoscopy and all-told I had irritable bowel syndrome(and should see a shrink!)-which means doc didn't know what the problem was-or how to fix it.

Gave me some script for dyharria(sp)-which I never took.Soon after I was diagnosed with Lyme. Seemed like when they put me on Cipro for UTI's the runs would clear up.

Not to say I don't have problems from time to time-just that they don't seem related to current meds.

Take Care,
Carol

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
right now i'm just scared witless!! everything i've read on the net says "peridonitis" or "pseudomembrous colitis" or some such terrifying life threatening crap like that.

and with my sister being so ill with melanoma and everything going on with my family, i just plain ole am freakin out.

there are times when the net is not a good idea!!!

oh i took some anti-diahrreal and then i read not to do that. i'll go get that l-glutamine tomorrow.

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cobweb- it is not the artemisia- it it the andrographis- it has been documneted to cause horrible GI stuff but people htink "it's just an herb". Just herbs can hurt you-

If you try and leave you GI system ALONE as much as possible-

DON'T go pour other junk into yourself- would be my non-medical advice- leave your poor GI system alone and let it try to balance itself- it will try!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ANd never take andrographis again!!! It does do that in some people-

Go to the doctor- maybe you can get professional help!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

so would you stop all meds and vitamins? i take a ton of vitamins. and theralac?

stop everything except maybe my bp meds??

--------------------

Dave6002
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave6002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try Bart abx (Rifampin & Levaquin). I had the problem, but less severe.

Now it's totally gone.

However, if I switch to Buhner's herbs, the symptoms would emerge.

So maybe Sarah is right: it's Andrographis.

Posts: 1078 | From Fairland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
artemesia annua caused horrible constant three week diahreah in me that tarted off heiny issues that eventually needed surgery and now 4 years later are not resolved. art can cause this too. take a break and resume whatever is "normal" for yourself.
best,
trails

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randi,

Don't know what caused your problem but look into Breaking the Vicious Cycle by Elaine Gottschall.

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.org

Her diet has helped many people with Crohn disease, irritable bowel, etc. Not saying you have Crohn's but sounds like your intestines are really upset so maybe this will help you get things on the right track.

Posts: 984 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd get a stool sample done and get tested for c.difficile toxins A& B plus parasites etc. Do it ASAP. Good luck
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The GI symptoms you describe are identical to mine, but add a sometimes ravenous appetite - still dropped to 88 lbs anyway. Once it was so bad I didn't even make it to the bathroom. The mushy poop seemed to alternate with the brown water you describe.

I finally talked a doctor into minocycline, and within a day or two, my years of mushy poop were gone.

It also killed some of whatever was living in my mouth and gums, but it caused my tongue and teeth to stain. My tongue no longer stains on mino, so my hunch is the staining was a release of metals. I'm just hoping the grey on my teeth comes off at my next visit.

Get your doctor to try you on mino. No other antibiotic touched my diarrhea or GI symptoms.

Don't waste your time on a GI consult - I had TWO colonoscopies two years apart, a barium swallow, CT scans of my abdomen, and they STILL couldn't figure anything out.

In my opinion, GI doctors can only dx GI cancers, and most likely, if I had continued with my chronic diarrhea, they would have dxd me with some sort of cancer eventually because a person's body cannot take that amount of abuse.

I ended up with a dx of MALNUTRITION with threats of a hospitalization and TPN, because my docs still were convinced I merely was not eating. Consequently, I lost all respect for doctors and now tell THEM what I want and need to get better.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would not stop the theralac....my opinion.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairenotes
Member # 10392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairenotes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is not just andrographis that can cause this kind of GI stress. There are several in this formula that can cause GI distress. Some of those herbs are anti-parasitic. It might be good to speak with an LLND or herbalist about your experience and how to get it back on track. An herbalist, in particular, would be able to provide information on those specific herbs.

Claire

Posts: 1111 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nebula2005
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nebula2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When my irritable bowel symptoms first showed up (years before Lyme) my doctor told me to stop eating for two days.

Nothing but fluids and jello. Absolutely nothing greasy.

I would stop everything but the bp medicine and any other prescriptions you have to take. See what happens in the next day. If it continues without food, you should go to a doctor. Really.

This sounds like it's making you miserable. On top of feeling miserable.

Posts: 353 | From Florida boonies | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

i bought the l-glutamine this morning at wally world.

yes, i am absolutely miserable. my poor bottom is so raw it's bleeding, and the burning....oh....

beaudreaux butt paste is wonderful for this. made by a doctor in louisiana. i highly recommend it.

i had a tough nite, no sleep at all. it feels like someone has put a torch in my abdominal cavity.

i woke up with watery diahrrea, then later progressed to bits and pieces (sorry guys, but the only way to get help is to get graphic!!).

my lower abdomen is the worst, right below the belly button and on both sides.

mike is gone,thank heavens. i almost went to the ER this morning about 7, but then i remembered the last time i had something like this, many years ago, they gave me a gi cocktail that numbed everything and sent me home -- charged me over 600 bucks, and said go see your primary doctor.

a total waste of time. they put me in a room for 5 hours before even seeing me. gee, they did an x-ray and blood work. by the time he saw me, i was royally po'd....

i'm hoping this will settle down but i've had it almost a week now.

i'm going to make that appt with my primary as my gastro books months ahead, and i don't want to wait.

ugh, what a way to loose weight.....

i'm still afraid of it being megacolon, peridonitis, or something. i guess when you have lyme, your mind automatically jumps to the worst case scenario.

--------------------

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WildCondor:
I'd get a stool sample done and get tested for c.difficile toxins A& B plus parasites etc. Do it ASAP. Good luck

This is good advice. So is Lymetoo's to stay on the Theralac.

I have those same symptoms. Google "bacterial dysbiosis." I might add, I was checked for c. diff. before I was checked for dysbiosis.

I'm taking oregano oil, plant tannins, Theralac, Ultra Flora, and s. boulardii for the dysbiosos and it's helping a lot.

You might also try avoiding gluten and dairy to see if that helps.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement