LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Thyroid Issues???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thyroid Issues???
Cucamonga
Member # 2122

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Cucamonga     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all,

Is anyone else out there dealing with low thyroid or is it just me...???

Thanks!

Cookie

--------------------
Cucamonga

Posts: 90 | From NYC, NY USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kath628
Member # 12977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kath628   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'M very HYPERthyroid! My TSH level is between slim and none, and this all started about the same time. I'm worrying about the lyme before i worry about the thyroid.

--------------------
 -
LITTLE LYMIE

Posts: 29 | From Tamaqua, Pa, USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valymemom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good back a page or two. JohnnyB. posted a great site.

Lots of good thyroid info.

Posts: 1240 | From Centreville,VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hypothyroid (low thyroid levels) is very common with Lyme. There seem to also be a few people who get the opposite problem.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
motownlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11485

Icon 1 posted      Profile for motownlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just posted earlier this evening about possible thryoid issues too. Mine seems to be swinging wildly both ways.
Posts: 237 | From WV | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had terrible facial swelling they said was from my thyroid being affected- my upper and lower eyelids swelled up by 2 centimeters out-
normalized on Rocephin-

the people on tihs page, I was like that, it made me look like SOMEONE ELSE and it was not until CIPRO actually that my facial swelling compeltely went awat and I looked like ME again!!
I don't have photos of me like monster but I have video- I looked scary worse than these people- way worse-

when I went to New York and met some of you east coast folks I was like THESE people. not me but not monster. the monster swelling was awful- it was SO dramatic I looekd like I was wwearing a mask- my husband said he would not go out in public with me (yup ex husband now)

http://www.type2hypothyroidism.com/Type1VsType2.html

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The eye swelling like I had is called

myxedema

I found it!! ALMOST!! My eyes were like this but worse- NOT kidding- NOT hyperbolic- my eyes were swollen SHUT many mornings- tiny little slits!!!

BUT THIS IS THE CLOSEST PHOTO I HAVE EVER FOUND!!!
http://www.thyroidmanager.org/Chapter10/figures/figure4.jpg

Just found another, more so, more so but I was worse, I looked like him but BOTH eyes and not darker, same uniform color like her photo- but that bulging over the eyeball swollenness- I could not SEE some days, one eye was worse, I forget which but oneeye was always almost swollen SHUT and the other was a slit-
and eyelashes stuck in!!!! IT SUCKED!!!

My baby still loved me but when I went out in public teenage boys said things. My whole life even older teenage boys always liked me because I was petite and pretty and after this, wow. They were pigs- they called me ugly to my face laughing Look at that ugly b(*!&! giggling- once in the Rite Aid parking lot- I could barely walk was in agony and to be called ugly on top of it by strangers- it was horrible-

http://www.merck.de/servlet/PB/menu/1265760/1265760.html

ANd one more except my eyes didn't bug out the puffiness went inward and made them close- she has eyes- you could not see most of one eye of mine and the other was a slit but this captures the puffiness of it, mine were this far out but also on top closing my eyes and obscuring vision-

http://www.accessmedicine.com/loadBinary.aspx?name=cmdt&filename=cmdt_c026sf021t.jpg

ALL GONE THANKGOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THANK MY ANGEL LLMD and
LONGTERM IV ROCEPHIN!*)*!)!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nebula2005
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nebula2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme causes autoimmune thyroid problems. Your TSH may be within normal range and you can have hypo symptoms big time.

There are doctors who are smart about thyroid problems who will prescribe hormone replacement if you have symptoms. It's helpful, too, to get tested for antithyroid antibodies so you can prove there's something wrong.

Posts: 353 | From Florida boonies | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD believes Lyme can cause a "Sick Thyroid Syndrome".

Numbers for thyroid functioning can be normal, but person

Exhibits numerous symptoms consistent with hypothyroid.

I am one such person. Hair was falling out, swelling around eyes, nails not growing, dry horse hair, etc.

The only symptom I didn't have was weight gain (thank you babesia).

I take 15mg of armour thyroid a day.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliebridge
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alliebridge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had/have "Sick Thyroid Syndrome" with similar symptoms, hair falling out, strange hair growth--what fun! [Roll Eyes]
I also gained weight, no thanks to babesia.

I'm on 45mg of armour thyroid. My thyroid numbers were normal but I took my body temperature daily for a month and showed my LLMD. With three days in the 96-96.5 range, he knew my thyroid was off and put me on medicine.

Posts: 366 | From MA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Littlesprout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Littlesprout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hypo thyroid problems are very common with Lyme.
Look into Thyrolar drug, Armour doesn't work for some but they like the Thyrolar, script needed.

Posts: 315 | From USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnnyb
Member # 7645

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnnyb         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by valymemom:
Good back a page or two. JohnnyB. posted a great site.

Lots of good thyroid info.

Stumbled on it, really [Wink]

This is it:

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/

- JB

Posts: 1197 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement