LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Medical Marijuana

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Medical Marijuana
Ellie K
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellie K     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone had good experiences??

I know it can be really useful for chemo-patients with nausea. What about pain?

I'm exploring all options here!

Is it particularily difficult to obtain? (I am in Berkely after all. [Wink] )

Posts: 390 | From Oakland, CA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25

Icon 6 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can obtain it anywhere. just ask around.

It's ridiculous that there are any laws pertaining to it at all.

JMO

Charlie

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlisonP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlisonP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Ellie,

Well...you are in *Berkeley* after all! [Big Grin]

There are doctors who will prescribe it locally. I know of one in SF. I believe you have to get a license but can through a doctor. One potential downside to that is that technically, federally, it is illegal and your name can go on a list which could cause some trouble if they decide to crack down.

I think that if it works, do it. Especially given the horendous amounts of pain we have to live with.

I would caution people though who have a lot of neuro symptoms to be careful though. It can have quite a negative effect.

[Smile]

Alison

--------------------
 -

The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer. --- Edward R. Murrow

Posts: 923 | From California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marijuana should be legal - medical or otherwise. Our government just doesn't want any of us to be happy. Sorry - I'm in a weird mood tonight.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't say it hasn't crossed my mind though I'm unlikely to actually do it. Not only might it help with the pain, but it might also help me with my lack of appetite. [Smile]

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did try the rx med Marinol for nausea~ Was told it is a chemical variation of pot. It cost a fortune & didn't work that well for me, it also made my cns problems worse. I had better anti-nausea effect from pheneragan.

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doctor prescribed marinol for me as well (per my request) for nausea/inability to eat. Didn't care for it at all! Certainly made me 'high' but not a good kind of high.
Posts: 561 | From mass | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peter j
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11825

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peter j     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some patiens with MS and Fibro use it.. IMO MS/fibro is most often just a wrong diagnosis, which most often really is Lyme.

So one thing I'm pretty sure of is that it wont do you any harm. If it helps, I think that it's individual.

(according to norlm.org) cannabis give some of the same health hazards as tobacco(to the lungs), but using a "vaprozier" you would aviod most of that

Posts: 275 | From Home | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skyler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11549

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Skyler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have Lyme, Babesia, Anaplasma, and Ehrlicha.
I have smoked this before, and all I know is when I did, all my symptoms spiked and I got SO SO SOS OS SOSOSOSOSOSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Sick. (i did this in highschool... way before I knew what was wrong with me.)

I personally would say stay as far away from it at physically possable. I have noticed when I smoke anything (went to a hooka bar a few times, where you smoke tobacco) it makes my Babs get REALLY REALLY bad.

I would stay away from it. Ingesting any smoke is not good for your body anyway. It is kinda like what this smilyface is doing -> [bonk]

--------------------
I'm probably sleeping...

Posts: 419 | From Florida | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All-

I smoked weed Daily threw out this 20 yr
long Nightmare - Im perty sure it kept
me from killing my self --

Doctors gave me Zero pain medications threw
this whole time --

There is many strengths and types of weed-
and price -

You would be surprised who You know
that smokes weed -

The government PR campaign is mostly BS --

Booze is Much more Dangerous and Addicting
than weed by Miles -- No comparison -

Yes there is people that smoke to much
weed and become some what useless -
but these people are few -

These people usually they have some other
problems too -

The side effects of weed are Few-
Munches and cotton mouth and
some short term memory loss -

All are temporary -- No big deal--

When you first start smoking weed the
Munches are the worst by far --

Weed dose not give me Munches anymore -
weed helps with nausea ect --

It helped me --

Weed dose make some things Much more
Funny than they Really Are - LOL

Hope this helps--Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hostbody
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hostbody     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want some of what Jay is having!! LOL

Seriously, I've thought about it.

Let's see if I did I wouldn't have to take an antidepresent, or ambian to sleep....hmmmm might end up cheaper to smoke pot!

Posts: 111 | From York, PA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich b.
Member # 13380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rich b.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Medical mj should be available to anyone. Marinol sucks. You are much better off smoking small amounts 2-3 hits of high quality weed. It does lower your immune system so take some vitamins to counter the effect like Ester- c. Heard the Indian herb calamus root counters bad effects too. It will definitely help with pain and nausea
Posts: 4 | From phila pa | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hostbody:

Let's see if I did I wouldn't have to take an antidepresent

MJ is a depressant.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatpianka
Member # 12244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hatpianka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could see the benefits for pain and nausea, but I wouldn't want the dumbing effect from it.

I feel dumb enough as it is, so smoking pot would probably make me feel worse in that regard.

I agree that pot is less dangerous than alcohol, and cheaper than many of the meds we're all on, too.

For me, phenergan works wonders on the nausea, and I'm actually doing well in the pain dept., so ibuprofen works just fine for me.

Posts: 97 | From Clinton, CT | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I voted for legalizing weed in California for medical use. Now everything is screwed up because Federal law prohibits it and trumps state law, closing down places that were legal to sell in California, just not legal to the feds.

I have read it helps neuropathy in HIV patients, which I am sure it would help us as well in many ways.

It is ridiculous that a plant, that could keep millions from suffering and we voted for, has been over ridden by federal law.

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
achey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6284

Icon 1 posted      Profile for achey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just had a pot discussion with my naturopath last month. Was told that continuous use can alter memory storage in the brain and cause permenant damage to memory storage and retrieval.

Many times there are homeopathic remedies that can give the same effects or results as smoking without detrimental neurocognitive side effects.

Posts: 663 | From NH USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by achey:
I just had a pot discussion with my naturopath last month. Was told that continuous use can alter memory storage in the brain and cause permenant damage to memory storage and retrieval.

I believe it!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement