LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » oral vancomycin ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: oral vancomycin ?
cactus
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,

I'm about to start a few weeks of oral vancomycin, to treat an on-going GI dysbiosis issue - I have an overgrowth of bad bacteria in the gut.

Has anyone used oral vancomycin, which I think is supposed to stay in the intestines (as opposed to IV)?

Any advice or cautions?

Thanks for any thoughts on this,
Cactus

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I havent tried vanco yet, but its on my list as one of the things to try next. my llmd suggested to try it - although its expensive, I guess.

So, Im looking forward to hear about your experience! which will be great, I hope!
Steven

Posts: 226 | From earth | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll keep you posted, then.

It is expensive, that's for sure!

--------------------

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cactus,
I hope it works well for you. My understanding is it stays in the intestines and is not absorbed; so just works there. (I might be wrong on that.)

Do a search on C. diff and you should come up with a bunch of threads. (I understand that this is probably different but the treatment might be exactly the same.)

Here's one:
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=040970#000003

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duramater
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duramater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oral vanco stays only in the GI system.

IV vanco doesn't get into the gut but works systemically. While I have used this, I would consider it the drug of last resort primarily so I won't develop a resistant bug.

Interestingly, IV vanco can be swallowed (nasty tasting but is cheaper than the pills) -- b/c the route of delivery is oral, it stays in the gut.

Did whomever is prescribing this for you check to be sure that your bug is susceptible to vanco? Otherwise its an expensive experiment!

Posts: 689 | From western MA (we say buttER and pizzA) | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on oral vanco for 11 months due to ongoing C. diff problems.

Do what was suggested by duramater (hi duramater!)...try the liquid vanco. They can flavor it (it will still taste bad but better than if they don't flavor it). The liquid form is about 1/10th the cost of the pill form.

Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BorreliaBrain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BorreliaBrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
may I ask, if it isn't too too um, graphic... how was your gut dysbiosis issue diagnosed? was there a test for it? is is just based on symptoms? did they mention SIBO too you (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth?).

I'm really curious, because I think I have some issues with this, but am not really sure. I realize there's one very obvious symptom for c.diff, but I wonder if there's different sx for gut dysbiosis?

Thanks for any info.

BB

Posts: 194 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Thanks, True, I will search for the c. diff threads - great idea!

Durameter & Timaca - very cool advice about the liquid. What a good way to get the same med without the cost.

Yes, as far as I know, my particular bugs are susceptible to vanco, but I'm still nervous about taking it because it's always listed as a drug of last resort.

Borrelia, it's graphic, but I don't mind if you don't... My main symptoms have been diarrhea and pain - really bad abdominal and pelvic pain. There might be other symptoms, if you search for it, there are a few of us here with this issue.

Mine flares up and settles back down every so often, so over the years I've had tons of GI work ups, without finding the cause.

This past summer alone they've done upper GI series w/ small bowel follow through, endoscopy with biopsies (for bart, Lyme, mycoplasma), capsule gastroscopy, stool cultures (multiple) and tons of bloodwork. My bloodwork shows gut inflammation and antibodies usually present in Crohn's Disease, but all the other conventional tests have been fairly normal.

Finally got diagnosed using the GI Health Panel at Diagnos-Techs. Another stool culture, but they picked up stuff the other labs didn't. If you want more their info, I can pm it to you and you can show it to your LLMD.

Thanks, everyone, for the input on vanco...

--------------------

timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should also state that not every pharmacy can make compounded prescriptions. You might need a hospital pharmacy to do this.

Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey!

Yes, oral Vancomycin is NOT used for Lyme disease treatment. It is used for GI problems such as c.difficile. IV Vancomycin DOES work for Lyme.
SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth) is treated with Xifaxan and or/neomycin. Neither of those are absorbed into the blood either.

Dysbiosis can be treated with better drugs than oral vancomycin, do you have a good GI?
Have you done a Genova diagnostics CDSA test?
www.gdx.net

Good luck!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duramater
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duramater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are taking it orally, no worries about the "drug of last resort" issue (or many fewer worries). Its the IV vanco to which this refers.

But, its not the most benign of drugs (not that its terrible), so be sure they did a susceptibility test first.

Good luck, and I hope you feel better.

Posts: 689 | From western MA (we say buttER and pizzA) | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Hey WC - I have a scheduled consult with a doc who does a lot of work with dysbiosis, and it sounds like I need to keep it. [Smile]

Just finished up 2 weeks on Xifaxan, glad to hear that's a good one for this issue.

Thanks for the link, too, I haven't had that test.

And many thank yous, durameter, for the info that when used orally vanco is not quite as last resort. That makes me feel much more comfortable.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement