LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Arthritic EARS???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Arthritic EARS???
jenschasinglyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenschasinglyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anybody have crunchy ears? Painful and red sometimes???

I never had this (along with 20 other things) until treatment started.

It hurts so bad...I can't imagine how the antibiotics will make it to my ears to kill this stuff.

I feel like it is hiding out there.

Freaky and painful!! Please tell me someone out there has had this and it went away!!

ANYONE??!?!?!

Posts: 111 | From San Francisco | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Strange as it may seem, it's probably a herx. I used to have bright red ears when I was ill from Lyme and herxing as well.

Since you've never had this symptom before, it's likely a herx.

-

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My outer ear (cartilege part) gets sore especially when I sleep on my ear, either one. This seems to happen when I'm in a relapse.

Does this happen to anyone? Am I going nuts imagining this?

CherylSue

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look up polychondritis.

It's an autoimmune condition.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenschasinglyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenschasinglyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the input.

Lymetutu- I never had it but it has stayed now about 3 months. It does'nt come and go...it stays everyday!!!

Carol-were you diagnosed with that autoimmune condition?? How can I find out if that is it?

Does that mean it will stay???

YIKES...they actually feel arthritic. I pull on them and they crunch and pop like knuckles.

My LLMD said lyme like the ears but I find it so wierd that it was never there before and even though I know herxes bring wierd stuff...does'nt that stuff leave???

Could it be that I am having one CONSTANT HERX???

Posts: 111 | From San Francisco | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once there was a forum for strangest symptoms.

I listed ear pain as one of mine.

Feels like I have slept on a piece of cement at night.

The pain will literally wake me up.

Once I turn over, it takes a while for the throbbing to stop, but it does eventually.

Only thing I can relate this to is while on Babesia meds, this went away.

Off babesia meds, it comes back.

Who knows?

Mine don't pop. No other connective tissue issues either at this time.

Hopefully this symptom will go away for good one of these days.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
My outer ear (cartilege part) gets sore especially when I sleep on my ear, either one. This seems to happen when I'm in a relapse.
It's not just me! Yey!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me too!
I wake up and my ear is bright red and hot and the whole side of my head and neck hurt. You'd think I was sleeping on rocks and not a down pillow. [Roll Eyes]

I took pictures and brought them to the doc. He checked me carefully and my cartiledge seems alright.

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a good example of why we should not encourage strong herxes and we should not just "tough them out".

The herx can elicit an immune response that goes into auto-immunity.

I would not stop with your doctor's opinion. I would get a second opinion from a rheumatologist.
If diagnosed and treated early enough, you may be able to arrest this condition before it affects your heart valve.

Being ruled out by a rheumy would give you valuable peace of mind.

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenschasinglyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11193

So other people have this....

I can't find relief in this though since it is TERRIBLE..ahhhh!!! And I feel for anyone having to feel this symptom.

MY EARS HURT and I DON'T LIKE IT! NOT ONE BIT!!

A Rheumatologist huh? I don't like them....they told me there was no way in hell I had lyme.

Plus, what can they do? Give me steriods? Is that what they do when you have autoimmune problems?

They give you immunosuppressant drugs..NO good there.

And is this for sure a autoimmune thing in everyone??

Can it not be just a crazy wierd lyme symptom like so many others??

I am freaked and I mean FREAKED to think this is autoimmune. I have all the joint problems too...I have more connective tissue and joint issues then anything else at this point in treatment.

Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jenschasinglyme:

Plus, what can they do? Give me steriods?

Jens, I know someone with a diagnosis of Relapsing Polychondritis.

Apparently, when the cartilage is quite inflamed, damage can result if the docs don't prescribe steroids to reduce inflammation.

There can be visible damage to the ear cartilage.
The cartilage at the bridge of the nose can collapse.
The cartilage of the trachea can collapse.

Maybe you need to be checked out so that this diagnosis can be ruled out.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

A Rheumatologist huh? I don't like them....they told me there was no way in hell I had lyme.

YUCK! I wouldn't go either, but that's just ME. I used to see a rheumie and he missed the Lyme diagnosis....of course.

Why don't you ask your LLMD if you can back off the meds for a day or two and see if it gets better?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenschasinglyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11193

Thank you everyone for your input. I will as my LLMD who is wonderful and open minded to check me out for autoimmune stuff as well as backing down from the meds.

I have a strange feeling he wil say no on the meds!! Plus, I stopped my IV for almost a week due to a picc being pulled and I still had the issue.

I was still on Babesia meds though...so not off treatment compeletely!!

I am really scared guys about the autoimmune thing. That paticular condition is crazy scary along with a Lyme, Babesia and Bartonella diagnosis.

I can't take the stuff they would want to give me to get the inflammation down.

Carol, does the person you know with this condition have Lyme Disease??

Thanks again for everyone who has responded and reached out to help me.

It has been very thought prevoking. Scary but much appreaciated!!!!

Carol in PA
Member # 5338

quote:

Carol, does the person you know with this condition have Lyme Disease??

I don't know, as she has never had a test from Igenex.
But I suspect she may.

Carol

trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure if this helps anyone else but for the outer ear pain, like from rock pillows, an ice pack is all that seems to help.

Heat might help for other ear pain. I don't imagine it could hurt to try one or the other to see if it gives you some relief.

Jen,
Don't freak about the possibility of the autoimmune thing. The doc examined my ears, nose and cartiledge and there seemed to be no or insignificant changes. I did a big "Phew" then also!

Other than the outer ear thing my ears hurt, intermittantly, but I am off tx right now. They hurt way more on and especially during an herx.

Hang in there kiddo [group hug]

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenschasinglyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11193

Thank you for the relief. I am hoping that all these "syndromes" and "conditions" that come up are the Lyme and will go away.

Thank for the support to every one who responded.

I am struggling like I know we all are. I have hit my year in treatment and am very hopeless right now.

I was sick a year prior to the bite so I thought by now I would be so much better and am devastated at the pain I am going through physically.

I NEVER hurt like this before treatment...It's like the neverending HERXES OF ALL HERXES..

Ever since I started Babesia meds 6 months ago, I have become incapacitated. I am scared. I am losing my faith.

I am on such an aggressive treatment protocol that I can't believe the pain that shrieks through my body.

I know others have dealt with this, much longer. So I apologize for whining...put god...I don't believe I will be well.

Thank you for who ever takes thier time to read this and offers support. I cry endlessly every day I am awake.

I don't want to miss more of my youth and my life..

Jennifer

Nebula2005
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nebula2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have sore, red ears and they TWITCH. Especially the left one. But they don't crunch. I do get terrible tinnitis and, in my right ear, two repeating musical notes like a dump truck backing up.

And they hurt like hell, inside and out.

It's a nerve issue, and since I've had it for so many years without the tissue destruction, I doubt that it's the same condition as polychondritis. By now my ears would be gone!

There is nothing that compares to this pain. I find that heat applied to my neck helps. And pain meds, which for me is Vicodin and Fiorocet.

It did get worse when I was taking ABX.

I really do feel for you. (((( ))))

I'm seeing a new doctor on Monday so I'm hoping I can start treatment again. But dreading it at the same time.

I would not recommend steroids. I think the reason my cranial nerves are so seriously affected is the years of nasal steroid sprays I used for misdiagnosed allergies. [Frown]

Posts: 353 | From Florida boonies | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IF it IS this, it does sound like it is herxing because it developed at this stage of tx- Jen, there is an association with HLA-DR4 with polychrondritis!!!! SO that leads me to believe it is a possible Lyme effect in more than the one documented case I could find- like SO many other diseases & syndromes-

Do you have an elevated erythrocyte sedimentation rate? It is the only consistent diagnostic criteria as far as bloodwork- if you are worried about it, find out-!!!

Almost every Lymie I have ever met has enflamed and burning ears at one point or another, so unless you haev an elevated e sed rate I wouldn't worry about it- and EVEN then- if you DO- then I would assume it is transient until you know otherwise-

Bestest wishes to you,
Sincerely,
Sarah
1: Rev Rhum Engl Ed. 1997 Oct;64(10):589-90.

Coexistent dermatomyositis, relapsing polychondritis, and positive Lyme serology. A case-report.

Arniaud D, Mattei JP, Pham T, Guis S, Ba�ada-Demoux AL, Serratrice J, Roux H.
PMID: 9385698

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. Bleiweiss (I am writing out his name because he is deceased) also documented a patient of his with RP- as follows- note reference to age- polychondritis is USUALLY diagnosed in middle-aged or elderly people-(*)!!! you're not*)!

So this is a patient WITH this awful RP disease FOR SURE, biopsied as such, and he got 100% symptom free- the deformed hands were damaged from before his treatment-

so worst case scenario you did have this thing- you can STILL get symptom free with tx!!!
QUOTE from Dr. Bleiweiss (deceased):

Another patient of mine recalled recurrent and migratory polyarthritis since he was 18 (1966). Monthly Medrol Dose Packs (steroids) failed to
alter the clinical picture.

In 1987, he was hospitalized with an acute exudative synovitis of the knee, whereupon ear lobe biopsy demonstrated the classic histologic feature of

Relapsing Polychondritis, a very rare disorder with a peak onset in the 5th decade of life.

Inspite of continual high dose steroid treatment, (and later methotrexate with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agents), he eventually developed a deforming arthropathy
in his hands which progressed slowly between 6/90 to 12/92.

Earlier physicians had discounted the significance of a positive Lyme Elisa = 1.09
in 4/91 as "low titer". An unsuspected encephalopathy betrayed its existence as memory and concentration impairment beginning 1/91. The patient presented for LD evaluation 1/93. Laboratory values include: an IgG by Elisa = 14.7, IgM by IFA = 80 and the Western Blot had bands at 31 and 41 KDA. the polysynovitis and encephalopathy proved rapidly responsive
to antibiotics for LD.

The patient was quickly emancipated from the other medications although steroids had to be slowly tapered and are now down to an inconsequential dose without recurrence of rheumatologic complications.

The patient, although symptom free while on antibiotics, has permanent crippling deformities of the hands.

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenschasinglyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11193

Thank you Sarah for all your help. I will for sure have my LLMD check my SED rate...

I know this was done a few months ago and it was normal.

I recieved another message ( a pm ) from someone who said she thought it was the cyst running to the ear cartilage because it was trying to find a place the antibiotics could'nt get to.

My LLMD told me hyperbaric would help the antibiotics get in there ( I am on IV) so hopefully it will work out.

Thanks again!! Everyone here is SO helpful and has been so supportive. I really appreaciate all the warmness that people offer here on this board.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement