LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Numbness...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Numbness...
JRWagner
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JRWagner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thouse of you who do not know my history:

Bitten in 1994, disgnosed immediately, three weeks of Doxycycline...zilch...stayed on ABX, on and off for thirteen years, including IV Roceph and Claforan. Spinal taps in 1995 and 2000 showed nothing...Spinal Tap in 2005...showed Oligoclonal Antibodies (Marker for MS, attack Myelin Sheath). The big toes on my left foot are numb, and the skin in various spots on my body is numb. Is this MS or has anyone found the same problems with Lyme Disease or other co-infections?

I had taken Flagyl many months ago but I do not think this was the cause of my numbness.

I am currently taking only Plaquenil and Benicar (for HBP).

Peace, Wellness, and Love
JRW

Posts: 1414 | From Ny, Ny | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
have yoour blood sugars been checked lately, a1c?

you might have diabetes neuropathy like i do!

i do think neuropathy is caused by lyme also since i've had chronic lyme 38 yrs. xmas time!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pineapple
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pineapple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, there are many individuals with numbness from Lyme disease. A very common symptom in fact.

Do you have lesions on MRI exam? I do from Lyme. My numbness has gotten better with treatment though.

Flagyl can cause neuropathy so you have to be careful with that. Mine got worse while on flagyl but better again a couple months after stopping.

Has it been a while since you were on antibiotics? Maybe you need follow up with an LLMD?

Best wishes..

Posts: 339 | From nowhere | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cjnelson
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12928

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cjnelson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have neuropathy too....followed EM rash so belive totally it is from Lyme.

--------------------
Seeking renewed health & vitality.
---------------------------------
Do not take anything I say as medical advice - I am NOT a dr!

Posts: 830 | From TN | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Jr are you taking any magnesium and b complex vitamins? It helped me alot.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good comment re diabetes BettyG!*!!! Could be!

I had my feet go numb progressively from the toes all the way up to right below my knees- it went away with treatment- 9 months IV Rocephin-

it could be from Lyme or from other things- you should have it checked out by a LL neurologist!!!

Sincerely,
Sarah

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stella marie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stella marie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there JR!

Numbness was an early indicator of LD for me, it comes and goes and certain abx, tindimax make it worse for me.

It takes a whle to go away after I have stopped the tindi.

I have ben using lyrica for the numbness pain, it helps.

Good luck!

--------------------
Stella Marie

Posts: 694 | From US | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hurtingramma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurtingramma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Numbness was the first symptom that sent me searching for an answer. 5 years later, I was diagnosed with Lyme.

With abx, the numbness has gotten better on most days. When I herx, the numbnes returns.

--------------------
"Few of us can do great things, but all of us can do small things with great love". Mother Theresa

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1629665573&ref=name

Posts: 938 | From Northeast Kingdom Vermont | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JRWagner
Member # 3229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JRWagner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone...thanks for your replies.

No diabetes...in fact my blood tests are all normal...even the cholesterol (170).

Flagyl did not kick this off...I had numbness before I used Flagyl.

No lesions...but I do have those nasty antibodies that attack the Myelin. Does anyone know if this occurrs with Lyme as well as MS?

Yes, Tree, I do take lots of Mg and B Vitamins...thanks.

Still have the headaches and stiff neck...

I see an LLMD here in NYC, as well as the top MS researcher at Cornell...no one is 100% sure the other disease can be ruled out.

Damn tick!

Peace, Love and wellness,
JRW

Posts: 1414 | From Ny, Ny | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Numbness was the first alarm symptom I had-- my right foot going numb when I walked.

Once I was dx and started treatment, the numbness was in my arm, my face, my hands.

It has gotten a lot better --especially wtih regular rifampin--but will still flare if I overdo it or get too stressed.

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
princesslee
Member # 12141

Icon 6 posted      Profile for princesslee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had lyme for 11 years and have just begun to experience the numbess. I've lost feeling in my fingers and hands (both on the outisde of my hands) as well as on both outsides of my feet up to the middle of my calf.

I also have almost constant tingling and numbness in my hands and feet and have had trouble lately with my skin crawling. I told my doc and he said it's sugar, but I've cut out sugar and still have problems.

I think it's from the lyme. Also, my daughter has been experiencing numbness and tingling in her hands and feet for years (she's 13) as well as now in her lips and around her mouth.

Nasty stuff this lyme is! Take care...

Posts: 56 | From Downingtown, PA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement