LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Has anyone found their fibromyalgia condition to be anything other than Lyme disease?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Has anyone found their fibromyalgia condition to be anything other than Lyme disease?
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI all -- am curious at this point as to whether fibro could be anything other than Lyme. I believe my fibro is Lyme, since I treated with clindamycin and the fibro pain of 25 years went to zero in one week.

I have also googled for clindamycin's effectivenees re mycoplasma and brucellosis, with a positive response on that question. So who knows exactly what's being treated...

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daise
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

See my reply at the end of the myofascial pain syndrome thread.

Daise

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Daise -- being that I don't have the book you referred to(Living Well with Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia by Mary Shomon), do you happen to know whether anything has been proven about the cause(s) of fibromyalgia or is it all possibilities and conjectures at this point?
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine came directly after tick bite and onset of many other syndromes. Mine went with IV Rocephin & has been gone for years now*)!!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bejoy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme is technically just the presence of Borrelia Burgdorferi bacteria.

Lyme Disease really is a tick soup of many different co-infections.

So technically I don't have Lyme since I don't seem to have Bb, but probably another midwestern borrelia strain, along with Babesia, Bartonella, and Bruscella.

In the broader sense I am considered to have a darn good case of Lyme Disease.

Getting rid of 20 years worth of critters is resulting in decreased pain for me for sure.

So the question is how many of our tick born illnesses can result in fibro. I don't know.

My hunch is that fibro can be traced to a variety of vector born bacteria in everybody, but is exacerbated by lost sleep and low cortisol and testosterone levels.

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might find more people who respond that their fibromyalgia was caused by something other than TBI's if you were to ask this same question on a fibro list. I think immunesupport.com has one but there are many on the internet.

Over the years, I've heard and read accounts of many people who say that a variety of things caused their fibromyalgia because when they treated something (for example candida, thyroid, parasites etc..) they got better. Unfortunately, many times, the symptoms come back months to years later. Often they come back after a stressful event such as a car accident, divorce or some other stressful, triggering event.

I think many of these remissions and flares are the result of the health of the immune system. Remission when it is functioning well, flare when it is not. Less stress on the body (candida, parasites etc.) and suddenly the immune system is not so overwhelmed and is able to fight off the big infections that are often the underlying cause of fibro. Stress seems to have quite a negative effect on the immune system. So, while we may be able to keep our infections at bay for a long time, stress seems to bring on the infection for some of us.

After my experience with disordered tryptophan and having such a big decrease in pain with tryptophan supplementation, I feel that a part of my pain was a brain chemistry problem likely induced by a brain infection.

Animal and human studies show a relationship between reduced brain serotonin metabolism and pain reactivity. Plasma-free L-Tryptophan is shown to be inversely related to the severity of pain in a small group of patients who fulfilled fibromyalgia criteria in an older study that I found.

Quinolinic acid is a metabolite of tryptophan and it appears that in the presence of CNS inflammation (such as is seen in lyme and aids infections), tryptophan may be converted to quinolinic acid instead of to serotonin. Less serotonin, more pain reactivity.

If you have lyme disease, please use tryptophan with caution. Do a search here for quinolinic acid.

I'm not a doctor, and this is just speculation based on my own experience, test results and research.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GenaD
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11988

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenaD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard just today from my chiropractor husband who is always up on research that true Fibromyalgia has been recently found to be viral.

--------------------
"Never underestimate the power of a few committed people to change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has."
--Margaret Mead

Posts: 290 | From New York | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which virus?

"true fibromyalgia"?? Interesting term.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Me too -- does he have any more info on what virus(es) he's referring to and what studies are involved in determining as such?

When I first was diagnosed with FM, in the mid- 80s, I was told it was a post-viral syndrome. Made sense to me -- I had had nonstop herpes outbreaks for a couple years, then acyclovir came out and was able to treat the infections.

This happened right before the fibro started. Coincidental timing, I might say. So I accepted the viral explanation as to why the immune system etc might be out of whack.

So if the chiro is referring to an old explanation, it is old, since this here FM has turned out to be Lyme -- not a viral infection, but a bacterial one.

GenaD
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11988

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenaD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember going to a seminar with my husband a few years ago where the doctor was talking about "true" Fibro being hormonal. I think the "other" Fibro was basically misdiagnosed conditions like Lyme.

My husband said this viral connection to Fibro was a fairly recent thing he read.

I don't know; there is so much confusion regarding it. All I know is I personally believe most "Fibromyalgia" is probably undiagnosed Lyme!

--------------------
"Never underestimate the power of a few committed people to change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has."
--Margaret Mead

Posts: 290 | From New York | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi robin! long time no chat---been out of the loop.

I just wanted to chime in here and say that many of my symptoms are endometriosis related. It is very hard to distiguish between endo/hormones and lyme for me.

but many of my LL docs believe that my endo was brought on by lyme....so it all leads back to one tiny sucker.

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
listenswithcare
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for listenswithcare     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My CFS/FM diagnosis turned out to be Lyme Disease.

After finsing out I had Lyme I asked about the CFS and FM. My doctor said that the Lyme caused the CFS and FM and that indeed I did have those in addition to the Lyme.

Robin

Posts: 276 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement