LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » RE: Valcyte users

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: RE: Valcyte users
ArtistDi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistDi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just checking in with those on Valcyte to compare
notes. I am on low dose because I am drug sensitive, but I have noticed the fatigue, gut and my brain fog are better. I am off antibiotics at the moment, but also take Fluconazole for yeast.
On the down size, I have noticed burning sensations in my feet and hands, obviously a
nerve thing going on.

Just comparin'

ArtistDi

Posts: 1567 | From Hatfield, MA, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nori
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nori     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you go to immunesupport.com and do a search on their board they have a ton of valcyte users reporting on their experiences including some of those in the Montoya study going on.

--------------------
Nori

Posts: 109 | From Virginia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi ArtistDi~

I've finished week 12 on the valcyte. I'm not on antibiotics at the moment...went off minocycline at 5 1/2 weeks of taking the valcyte.

I had labs drawn on Monday for lyme and viruses. Those results should be interesting. I'll post back with those later.

I've had 5 "better" days since taking the Valcyte (today being one of those days). I'd like to see lots more "better" days, and eventually some "well" days!

A friend of mine started getting significantly better after being on the valcyte for 16 weeks. Hopefully, that will happen to me too.

What week are you on? What is your dose?

Oh, just for the record, I was at the LDA and ILADS conference. I talked with 2 prominent LLMDs that are finding high viral titres in their lyme patients. I also spoke with a doctor from Germany who has found that 40% of his lyme patients have high titres for HHV-6. Many are also high for EBV and CMV.

For those interested in a good link for viruses, see: www.hhv-6foundation.org

I also discussed in depth with these prominent LLMDs symptoms. There is NO WAY to tell the difference between a lyme symptom and a viral symptom. Another way of saying it: All symptoms that you may think of as lyme can be a symptom which is caused by a virus.

If you think you have lyme, get checked for viruses too. Viruses are much more prevalent (we've all been exposed to them)...thus if you are sick, the chances that it is from a virus is actually higher than from lyme.

Of course, you could be ill with both (like I think I am).

Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtistDi
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistDi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Timica,

Thanks for your response. I am on a very, very
small dose, and yet, my body always seems to respond better to smaller doses. I have been
at this for only a couple of weeks, but I have
noticed the fatigue is better.

I had relapsed in July when I had a flu, which
I haven't had in seven years, when I first became
ill. I knew that something had to be activated,
and my HHV-6 titer was extremely high, even if
it was IgG. I didn't get tested for viruses until the end of August, and by then, I was
extremely fatigued, despite being on the IV doxy.
IV doxy for 2 years or more, which helped a lot
in getting me out of bed.

I also believe I am a "soup," with lyme, and other infections besides the viruses.

I should say I am also on IVIG, and that by far,
has been helping me a lot more with the gut,
head and fatigue issues. I have been on it since
July, and I only do 5 grams every other week. For
someone my weight, it would normally be 20 grams
per month, but due to the drug immune injury I had incurred some time ago, drugs are difficult for my body to process.

All the same, my doctors feel my color, my skin,
hair and mental apptitude are better. I think the gamma is helping me, along with diet, the
antiviral, suppplements, rest, etc.

Di

Posts: 1567 | From Hatfield, MA, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minoucat
Member # 5175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Valtrex (pretty much the same as valcyte) really helped the hubby-- reduced his brain fog, reduced his sweats (now all gone after completing babs tx), greatly reduced his pain levels, increased his energy.

At the time he started on Valtrex he had made no other changes in meds or diet, so we're sure it was the valtrex that did it.

He started off taking olive leaf extract (Seagate brand), which definitely helped. Then added valtrex which helped more.

He had very high titers in a number of of viruses.

Despite being on valtrex for long periods of time he still has HHV viral outbreaks on his hip, so although the valtrex and olive leaf have helped greatly, they haven't done the job completely.

He did fairly extensive heavy metals treatment while doing a lot of the viral stuff and sauna as well.

It is my understanding that the azoles in general can cause peripheral neuropathy -- metronidazole certainly did for the hubby. Just something to be aware of.

--------------------

RECIDITE, PLEBES! Gero rem imperialem!
(Stand aside plebians! I am on imperial business.)

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Minocat~ Valtrex is not effective against HHV-6. Valcyte is effective against HHV-6.

Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minoucat
Member # 5175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Timaca. Sorry, typo -- he has HSV, not HHV (as far as we know, although some tests were equivocal) As well as CMV, EBV, and other stuff I'd have to look up.

But thanks for the reminder -- it's always good to be recall that there are other drugs currently in the pipeline (like valcyte, which did prove effective against HHV6 in vitro) and other ones coming up which will address HHV6 more aggressively. It's easy to get into a treatment rut, I find, once one is over the initial crisis.

The LLMD chose Valtrex as the best med (in terms of tolerance) in combination with the other drugs the hubby is on. It's limitations are why he was so insistent that we add the olive leaf extract.

My understanding is that, although Valtrex has not proved out well in vitro for HHV6, in vivo studies indicate that "while valacyclovir (Valtrex) may be less potent, it is capable of preventing reactivation of HHV-6 (and CMV)" It achieves a higher concentration in the blood than does acyclovir.

--------------------

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minoucat
Member # 5175

Just wanted to repost this research:

In one recent study by Dr. Chia, an enterovirus was found in the stomach tissue of 82% of CF patients,
but only in 7% of healthy controls. The enteroviruses were identified by tissue biopsy and did not show up in bloodwork.

MedPage

Not sure if standard antivirals would work in this situation -- treatment wasn't specified.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement