LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Knee Pain~ One or Both Knees??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Knee Pain~ One or Both Knees??
sickoflyme07
Member # 13368

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickoflyme07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If anyone has had knee pain w/ Lyme~ did it affect one knee, or both knees?? Or off and on between the two??

Does the pain come and go?? Or is it long lasting?? Swelling??

My left knee keeps twinging off and on for the past 2 days. Especially when I sit in a curled position on the couch, or sleep curled~ so I had to stop that.

But, just now, my right knee tweaked hugely when I was walking. [Frown]

I have so far not had any knee trouble before these past couple of days~ so not quite sure what to expect now. Most of my joint pains have been in my neck (terrible when happens and lasts 1-2 weeks per episode) and elbows, hands and ankles) ~ elbow, hand and ankle pains migrate.

How badly has the knee pain affected everyone here?? I would like to get a heads up on what to possibly brace myself for.

Has the knee pains impacted driving??

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Hugs

Posts: 25 | From MD | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get knee pain in my left knee. Sometimes in my right knee, but usually in my left knee.

A few years ago, prior to knowing I had Lyme and after a 21 day round of doxy (300 mg. per day), I had really bad knee pain. I couldn't bend my left knee without it hurting so I propped it up when I was seated and walked up stairs like a toddler.

It hasn't affected my driving, though some days it's difficult because I drive a stick shift.

It has gotten better with treatment, though it flared badly my first few weeks on Levaquin.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For like 8 months or so it was just my left knee and then my right knee began to flicker and then it was all pain, all the time, all swollen, all the time, progressively worse & worser...

Eeek!!! Glad no more*)!*)!
Best wishes for that for you,
Sarah

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
webmeg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for webmeg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I'm getting knee pain, too. I didn't have it earlier this summer. Mostly the right but sometimes the left, sometimes both. It will hurt to straighten my right knee in bed sometimes. In August my knee "popped" once which was painful. They ache sometimes. I walked yesterday and they felt very stiff but by the end of the walk it was better. LLMDs say to keep exercising/moving if you can despite some pain.

~megan

Posts: 257 | From Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MamaWolf
Member # 10578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MamaWolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One knee some days.. both knees others. Usually just my left knee.

Sometimes one or the other will swell, get hot and red, and really hurt like any other flare of joint pain.

But most times it only hurts when bending (like in sleep) or standing from a sitting position. I do have to walk down stairs either backwards or sideways depending on the pain level.

Once I am up and moving it doesn't hurt all that bad on most days. (except during a flare) A lot of days they don't hurt at all. (I like those days) [Big Grin]

--------------------
~Ro~

Don't wait for someone to take you under their wing. Find a good wing and climb up underneath it~ Frank C. Bucaro

Posts: 80 | From Desert Southwest | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both knees for me. No swelling. Used to come & go, then got much worse and were painful all the time. The last 2 yrs it only comes on about every 4 weeks, only burning & painful for a week.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had right knee snapping and cracking with pain off and on prior to treatment. Not too bothersome.

Once I started treatment my left knee got so sore that I had to use a cane! I could barely walk. Lots of snap, crackle and pop. That stopped when I had to go off minocycline due to problems with hyperpigmentation.

Then on doxy and other abx both knees off and on, usually one or the other, never as bad as when I had to use a cane. Sometimes one or the other gets hot and a little swollen. I've had to go off all but babesia treatment for the time being due to liver enzymes and the knees have stopped bothering me.

I've been told it is probably die off in the tissues which cause inflammation and release toxins. Makes perfect sense given the pattern I've seen with the pain and treatment.

Hope you don't have too many problems with your knees.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was having shooting pains in my left knee mostly, and like you, when my knee was bent, that is when it would flare up. When I would straighten it, I would cry - literally - that's how intense the pain had been.

I think it is thickened blood or severely restricted blood flow, personally. I also was getting sensations of heat in my inner thighs that would last for a few seconds and then go away when this was happening.

No swelling really that I recall, but the backs of my knees sometimes sweat grey.

I tested positive for both Lyme and babs so far. I also noticed that some foods seemed to increase the pain. Premarin did this also for me, so I stopped the medication. Hope that helps.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stymielymie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10044

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stymielymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
rotating joint pain is actually dx of lyme disease.
this was how i dx my lyme.

my knees are due to meniscus damage to the lateral(outside) of the meniscus(knee cartilage.

last summer i had arthroscopic surgery and debridement.
i had been on abx for 8 months straight plus vfend and acyclovir.

the next day you could not even see the cut.
i was walking normally the next day.
3 days later the orthopod checked post-op and could not believe the healing, no inflamation, no pain he took the steri-strip off and could not find the incision.
i told him that my body was sterile inside and as long as he operated sterile, then there were
no bacteria to cause inflamation, he laughed then thought, "your right"

did not help, had artificial fluid injections
both knees( no steroid injections)
i started with steroid injections with no problem and pain relief for several months.

docdave

Posts: 1820 | From Boone and Southport, NC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Concerning my knee pain over the duration of being sick

I have had it effect just one knee (can't remember which one)

I have had it migrate between joints including both knees.

and I have had sharp constan pain in many joints including both knees.

I have also had swelling.

It is hard for me to say how the knee pain would have effected my driving because the only time i can remember just having pain my knee was before I was old enough to drive.

Its not fair to compare knee pain to knee and many other joints pain sometimes with muscles and bone pain too... and that is mostly what I have had the many places pain.

It really didnt effect me too much when it was just one knee ... I still went to school and everything.

Hope your knees feel better soon. I use a moist heat heating pad on my joints it does help some for me.

Best wishes

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my first symptoms was severe swelling and pain in my right knee. It got so bad that, at one point, my knee was indistinguishable from my thigh in size. I also started shopping for a cane.

I couldn't fully straighten out that leg for about the first 9 months of treatment. The day I was able to do that was a very significant one for me.

The pain in my knee was at times excruciating. My treatment included this blue ice stuff you get in the drug store (really inexpensive). I also used essential oils topically on my knee.

And acupuncture. A lot of acupuncture.

I'm now able to walk a mile or two wtih no pain, but the swelling still persists--not nearly as severe as it was two years ago but it's still discernible.

I feel grateful for this much progress, and I hope things improve for you soon!

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement