LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Medical Marijuana

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Medical Marijuana
MusicMan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11966

Icon 3 posted      Profile for MusicMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello [Smile]

Anyone ever tried Pot for your symptoms yet?

It was just legalized here in Rhode Island a little while ago.

Just wondering how many have tired it and what the results were.

Steve

Posts: 406 | From Rhode Island | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. But wow! I'm moving to Rhode Island;)
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MusicMan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MusicMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tailz [Big Grin]

There are a few more states that have done this but I can't remember now. I think one was Maine.

Steve

Posts: 406 | From Rhode Island | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, but if anyone wants the effects re stomach & pain without the psychotropic aspects of marijuana there is always Marinol.

As follows-
MARINOL is a type of medicine called a cannabinoid. MARINOL attaches to special receptors in the brain--much like a key fits in a lock.

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved MARINOL to treat nausea and vomiting associated with cancer chemotherapy in patients who have failed to respond adequately to conventional treatments.

The FDA also approved MARINOL to treat appetite loss associated with weight loss in people with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). If you have HIV/AIDS, your health care professional may prescribe MARINOL to help stimulate your appetite.

Other important facts about MARINOL:

The active ingredient in MARINOL is dronabinol

Dronabinol is a synthetic version of a naturally occurring compound known as
delta-9-THC (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol)

Delta-9-THC stimulates appetite and reduces nausea and vomiting by binding to special receptors found in your nervous system

Delta-9-THC is also one of many components in marijuana. In fact, delta-9-THC is the main ingredient responsible for most of marijuana's effects

MARINOL is not marijuana. MARINOL does not contain the additional chemicals and impurities associated with marijuana.

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, though with the pain, insomnia, and lack of appetite, I thought about it!

There is another thread on this with lots of good info .... you might search for it .... it's pretty recent.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Hmmm? I think I'll just stick with the pot.

Is it legal in PA yet? Maybe I can go into 'sales' since I can't work until they shut off the cell phones in this world;)

MusicMan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MusicMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sixgoofykids:
Nope, though with the pain, insomnia, and lack of appetite, I thought about it!

There is another thread on this with lots of good info .... you might search for it .... it's pretty recent.

Thanks [Smile]

I'll do a search maybe tomorrow.

Steve

spookydew
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for spookydew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now,

Is this a medical question or an alternative question? Let's see, you'd have to get a script then it would be medicine. But, it is an herb...

I personally wouldn't want the side effects. There are many other prescripts for chronic pain such as
elavil. A wonderful drug.

And there are a lot of alternatives. I'm not an expert in this area, only an experimenter. The latter, only in desperate times.

Who knows maybe this herb is the real and only cure for lyme disease and coinfections. Wouldn't that just be wild?

Posts: 290 | From ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CricketSC
Member # 11111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CricketSC   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use to smoke pot when I was in high school and college. I quit smoking when I became pregnant and never started back up. Several years ago I tried smoking to see if it would help with any of my symptoms. At that time I was having joint pain and heart palpitations. It made my heart palps and anxiety worse. I had a difficult time trying to go to sleep that night. So, it did not work for me.
Posts: 36 | From Greenville, SC | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's legal in Oregon. side effects ugh Seems like it aggravates orthostatic problems, increases pulse, messes with short term memory, causes paranoia, messes with blood sugar etc..

Of course many prescriptions are no picnic. I do without any pain meds but I was about ready to try something when tryptophan decreased my pain a huge amount. 5-htp does nothing for it, only tryptophan. There may be problems with Quinolinic acid for lyme patients so anyone who is considering should do a search here.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do a search here. I consider it just one more toxin for the body to process.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackpowder
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13637

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackpowder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just what I need --the munchies!!
Posts: 111 | From Pa | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tailz:
I can't work until they shut off the cell phones in this world;)

When do you think this will happen?
Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MusicMan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11966

Hello [Smile]

All good points!

Thanks for the replies. [Smile]

Steve

map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No thanks, I'm already foggy enough. I can't image being high.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

quote:
When do you think this will happen?
Yesterday I went to the grocery store. I was actually feeling okay until I came out of Wegman's and ZAP - a guy on his cell phone. I immediately started sweating and automatically clenching my teeth, the nerves in my jaw being strummed.

It took me a while to recover, and then I went to a thrift store. Came out of the thrift store and ZAP - a woman on her cell phone. Again, took me a while to recover, pinching pains in my head.

I stopped to buy a lighter for my (admittedly disgusting) smoking addiction, only to walk out of the mini market and again ZAP - a guy on his cell phone. This time I had a much longer exposure because he'd been on his cell phone while I was searching for money in my purse and waiting in line - sweats and pains up the left side of my neck, jaw, and head this time, and this time it took much longer for me to recover.

And I'm supposed to feel all horrible about my disgusting smoking 'addiction'? Come on, what do you call what I just described? If I'm addicted, so are cell phone users, and I'm sorry, but cigarettes or cell phones, they both are disgusting, and at least I don't make the entire population breathe in my smoke, so cell phones are somehow worse to me.

So to answer your question, with God all things are possible, and I just found a group of people sick from EMR exposure like me who have made this their goal.

3greatkids
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3838

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 3greatkids     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I first came down w/ this horrible disease,a disease that does not exist in my state......

I was in INTENSE PAIN!!!

No one would help,no one believed in me,I wanted to kill myself,the pain was so BAD!!!!
That's a Duck world for you.

I resorted to a few brownies.God,it was the only relief form a disease that is supposedly cured in 10 days.

So.....yes,it saved me from the pain no human,mother,wife,friend should have to suffer with.

Posts: 1076 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good for you 3greatkids*)!)*!! Sounds like you were taking care of yourself!!! Just fyi, Marinol can be prescribed and is great for neuropathic pain!!! If marijuana worked for you that way, Marinol should- and without the possible legal or mental difficulties*)!*)!)!!

Best wishes,
Sarah

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheezhead
Member # 12038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cheezhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to smoke "primo" almost daily before becoming ill.
I had to stop, for me when I'd smoke my syptoms would go into overdrive.
esp. headach, head pressure, anxiety, even GI symptoms would increase!
It's funny I've thought many times about bringing this topic up, but was worried about negative feedback.
I still have many friends that use marijuana, and are surprised I hav'nt touched it since.
I tell them if I ever get rid of lyme maybe I'll toast one with them. [Big Grin]

Posts: 55 | From S.E. Wisconsin | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

My doctors treated me like a drug addict because every time I'd try to wean off Klonopin my symptoms would flare. Some of them also had a problem with my doctor-hopping and apparently decided I was hopping to obtain more Klonopin - though I only ever had one prescribing doctor and I was careful to let them all know about each other for that reason.

Was it Lyme? Babs? Some other bug? I no longer even believe in 'benzo dependence'. If you start weaning off a benzo, and you start convulsing, it's infection IMO.

So now, after all this, I really just want to smoke a few doobies so that there is some truth to what's written in my medical records - "drug addict".

SunRa
Member # 3559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunRa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey MusicMan

this topic comes up a lot...here are some old links that may (or may not) be helpful

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=052444#000000
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001647;p=2#000036
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=033321#000000
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001647#000000
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=058620#000000
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=040412#000000
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=045538#000017

also, I had to bring up this picture that trails posted a while back [lol]

-

Posts: 1563 | From MA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MusicMan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11966

Hi

Thanks for the links Sun. [Smile]

That's a pretty cool picture too!

I'll get to those links sooner or later.

Steve

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not big on weed but some of you may want to consider making

a tea from it rather than smoking it. I tried it a couple of times & it

was relaxing. You have to heat the weed in a frying pan to release

the THC, them add some water, tea (herbal or otherwise), honey.

re: Electro pollution...

There are many other sources of it than just cell phones. I'm not

sure but I think the waves are in the air whether you see

someone on a phone or not. You may want to check Begich's

website http://earthpulse.com/ for more info.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

visionoftruth - thanks for your kind words on this forum about me (again).

I never claimed to know exactly 'how' electromagnetic fields and radiowave/microwave fields work, but do I need to?

If I can feel, as in PAIN feel when someone uses their cell phone, then I can pretty much bet my right arm (and my left!) that they are UNSAFE.

Now who is nuts here? Oh, that's right - me. You must be a cell phone user. I understand though - see, I'm addicted to my cigarettes, too, and it's hard to give up that crutch. I know. It's okay.

tailz
Unregistered

quote:
btw tails your out of your mind

The radio waves simply do not echo from your neihbors house to yours this is your mind playing tricks on you.

If there is anything to the theories you have latched on to (not created your self)

and really does sound nuts...

with tailz daily crazy ramblings (no offense tailz) but it does sound crazy when you say some of the things you say and that's ok maybe you are a bit crazy

How many times do you call a person crazy in one thread? Do I have to take this?

Oh, and a liar?

quote:
No one instantly feels ill because someone uses a cell phone over 100 feet away.

tailz
Unregistered

What you don't seem to be understanding is that it is hard to not 'think' about something that is continuously causing me pain.

If I were to stick a huge needle in your spine/neck/head, would it be fair of me to accuse you of obsessing over the needle because it hurt and to tell you to stop screaming for someone to pull it out already?

I FEEL microwaves. I don't think it's fair to say this is impossible without at least testing me first - not some guy off the street who uses his cell phone one hour a day - not some woman who uses a cell phone once a week - 'me'. I'll give any scientist my address to prove that I am not imagining this, too.

My neighbor can write down when he uses his cell phone, and I will write down when I feel it. As long as I have had time in between to recover and recognize the new 'zap', I have no doubt that my new neighbor and I would match.

Just because these fields have not been proven unsafe does not make them safe. They were never tested sufficiently before being put on the market. I know two people close to me who have had brain tumors already.

I like the example of the frog. You can drop a frog in boiling water and he'll hop out. By the same token, you can drop the same frog in boiling water and slowly turn the heat up, and he'll just simmer until he dies. That does not mean the water was any cooler the second time. This is precisely what is happening to all of us.

I won't accept these fields as here to stay. I found a group, too, that is trying to set up EMF-free areas so that we can live while the rest of the world realizes that they are the second frog in my example. What you don't realize is that the reason I am being so persistent is because I'm trying to help you, too.

I may be crazy, but I'm not that far gone to not realize that what I'm claiming to feel might meet some resistance initially. But consider the possibility that there might actually be some merit to what I am saying.

Health
Member # 6034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tailz,

You are not crazy, visionoftruth is way out of line.

If is the people like visionoftruth
that you want to stay clear of, because these people are like the Dr's we deal with that dont believe we have lyme.

Stay strong Tailz, you can get well, and remember, that the people that make comments to you like visionoftruth did are the comments that
are meant to be thrown aside.

I had to post this because it is heart ripping to read what visionoftruth wrote to you.

BTW visiontruth, who do you think you are to belittle someone like you did here? Do you know what it is like to be affected by EMF?
It is a living nightmare.
I hope you get EMF sensitive, because your remarks are so belittling it is disgusting,

I am SO sick of comments like yours thrown to people on this site, others do it to others,
You need to get REALLY sick maybe this will stop you from belittling people.

Trish

[ 16. November 2007, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: Health ]

Posts: 1250 | From Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

visionoftruth - I heard the it's-all-in-your-head bit with my undiagnosed Lyme and babs over and over again. To be honest, this was the last place I thought I'd hear that again. So, okay then, I'm crazy and I need help.

But that still doesn't change the fact that I can physically feel cell phones, and I just verified that it isn't just cell phones I can feel. The year 2005 just about killed me. Check this out:

http://www.govtech.com/dc/articles/104061

This explains why I feel especially ill evenings and weekends and all summer, but I only feel the most severe head pain when my neighbor is on his cell phone. I thought maybe it just felt a little different because my neighbor was sometimes inside his house making calls, instead of outside on his deck.

He could be on his computer - or even another neighbor up the street could be - I'm not exactly sure how it works. I know last night I didn't start feeling any better until 12:30am - many nights it is much later, especially in the summer - some nights I didn't get to sleep until 3am or 4am.

(thanks though, Trish - I can tell from your posts that you're in a lot of pain, too - hang in there <3)

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
California passed Prop 215, legalizing medical marijuana. It's just that the feds like to do raids from time to time. SF brokered an agreement with govt entities and it seem to be working out.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Health
Member # 6034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come on,

You dont speak and belittle someone like visionoftruth did.

Speaking DOWN to someone is uncalled for on this board, continuing to do so, could cause someone to take their own life.

You make someone SEEM like they are crazy just writing the subtle hurtful comments like you are.
You think these comments are ok? Here is what you wrote.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
btw tails your out of your mind

The radio waves simply do not echo from your neihbors house to yours this is your mind playing tricks on you.

If there is anything to the theories you have latched on to (not created your self)

and really does sound nuts...

with tailz daily crazy ramblings (no offense tailz) but it does sound crazy when you say some of the things you say and that's ok maybe you are a bit crazy

End of QUOTE----------------------------

I am doing fine, but am so bothered about this post.

As well Tailz, I am not hurt, I am upset that this goes on with fellow lymies.

What do you want me to do, stand by and let you dish this to someone? I would have if I had not read this, I just happened to read it.

AND what Tailz experiences with EMF is what really happens to some of us, it happens to me, or happened, and it was a living nightmare,
I dont know if I will ever be able to work in my line of work because I am EMF sensitive, but it did go away, but then came back,

So, please stop being so mean, I am soooooo tired of it, it is soooooo cruel.
Doesnt lyme teach you something? doesnt it?
Most of us are belittled by Dr's that dont believe in lyme,

and then you come on here and do this.

No wonder I dont read this board, I just happened to read it today while doing a search,

Trish

[ 17. November 2007, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: Health ]

Posts: 1250 | From Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are alot of EMF other than cell phones such as HAARP or

other things that are being broadcast. I've heard that there may be

a correlation between certain prescription drugs & EMF sensitivity.

Are you currently taking any drugs - especially ones for

depression, etc.? It may not actually be the cell phones but with

an overload of all the other waves out there - the cell phones

may just be the needle on the haystack (so to speak). You may

want to look into finding something to reduce the EMF impact.

There are some people who offer EMF protection products out

there. I'm not sure if any of them work, though.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

I don't even think it matters anymore to me what people think of me on here. It can't anymore, but someone else might not be as resilient as I can be, so Trish made a good point.

I've heard it all, and if this nightmare has taught me anything about myself, it's taught me that I can spit fire if the cause is right (ie. my life is in danger) - and EMFs happen to meet that criteria for me. So did malnutrition, Lyme, babesia.

There are products out there to protect myself. Unfortunately, I can't afford any of them ($100 for a gallon of EMF-shielding paint?) until I can handle driving past towers, cell phones users, and high-tension power lines long enough to hold any job - and most likely I will not be able to afford to shield the environment in which I work.

If I were in a wheelchair, I'd be entitled to accomodations so that I could semi-function, live, and work, but with electrical sensitivities I'm expected to somehow be able to forget I'm being irradiated?

Electrical sensitivities, in my opinion, are not an offshoot of these bugs - this radiation is THE cause of my chronic infections. I can't say which exposure caused this, because I think it is cumulative, and the environment as a whole just got to be too much for my system.

I'm on no meds right now - none. They may have caused my electrical sensitivities, but only in the sense that they helped make me less aware of the fact that I was being irradiated so that I made no effort whatsoever to protect myself from the danger.

I'm not the only one affected either - the numbers of electrically sensitive people are growing, and there are many others out there with chronic illness who have not yet made the association.

groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All--

I smoke weed perty much everyday-

Threw the years not one doctor would give
me anything for the pain ect-

So I smoked weed to help --

It helped me alot- and can make thing
easier to get threw-herx ect

Weed is cheap -available perty much
everywhere

Weed dose not have lasting effects-
Hours

And it sure can make this Easier to get threw-

It also make many things Funnier than they
really are --

This is a Plus because its hard to laff
at things when you are in intense pain--

Weed is only a Ticket Offense here in Austin
and has been that way for Many Years --

So Spark up a Doobie -- Jay --

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minimonkey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minimonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Medical marijuana seems to help me a great deal -- I'm in CA so I can get it legally (kind of -- the law is sorta squishy) -- it gives me restful sleep, primarily, which helps everything else. Good painkiller, too.

EMF sensitivity is very common in chronic illness, and is torture for people who suffer it.

--------------------
"Looks like freedom but it feels like death..
It's something in between, I guess"

Leonard Cohen, from the song "Closing Time"

Posts: 822 | From California | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement