LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » suicidal-could this be a herx?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: suicidal-could this be a herx?
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hanginginthere
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hanginginthere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme messes with brain chemicals & certain antibiotics can cause depression/suicidal thoughts too.

You are not alone in these dark thoughts. The important thing is to talk to somebody when you're feeling really low. People here at lymenet understand and have been there too.

Could you go over and join the chat tonight? Sometimes, just sharing with people who understand can help get you through a particularly bad time.

If you are feeling suicidal, please call the suicide hotline 1.800.784.2433 Now please!

We care about you. [group hug]

Posts: 136 | From North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penn92
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penn92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard of several abx that can cause those types of thoughts. Please call the hotline if you're unable to talk yourself down. [group hug]

--------------------
Getting older is when we would rather not have a good time
than have to get over it. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 386 | From Radnor, PA - where the ticks run free | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Be sure your blood sugar is not too low, too.

In addition to the toxins of the illness, and the added stress on our livers to filter a ton of stuff, adrenal fatigue and/or low blood sugar can lead to this feeling, too.

Water. Electrolytes. Have you had your B vitamins (with food) and fish oil. All this makes a difference.

Now, if you've not gone running for the hills from so many ideas . . . I hope you can get yourself to a laugh. This is a very bizarre
set of symptoms. Yet many have improved, so it is possible.

Rest, nurture yourself, put on some music - and if you have bottled up emotions acknowledge that and just let it drift away from you, floating up to the sky . . . as you relax into a very deep rejuvenating sleep.

Tomorrow, the sun will still be here as will the earth and the moon at night . . . and you.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys...
I actually am doing somewhat better now.

Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adamm,

Still on Levaquin? Levaquin can cause suicidal thoughts.

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/levaquin-side-effects.html

Is there anybody you can tell who can watch out for you while you remain on the medication? You may want to call your doctor on Monday morning.

And if it happens again, please call a hotline. That's what they are there for.

-Aniek

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutely yes!
 -

-
Take care of yourself!!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are in my prayers!!! Hiker53

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8918 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Actually I'm on Omnicef, Rifampin, and doxy (didn't want to do LEvaquin after what I read about it.)
cjnelson
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12928

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cjnelson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adam, you are not alone and dont hesitate to call the hotline sometimes words on a screen are not enough, if you dont have someone to talk to then please call the hotline.....

--------------------
Seeking renewed health & vitality.
---------------------------------
Do not take anything I say as medical advice - I am NOT a dr!

Posts: 830 | From TN | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, that combo can cause it -- I believe it's bartonella actually that's doing it; that's what my LLMD believes too.

Just remember you can get through it, and it does get better! I was on that same combo and was there in August and I don't feel the same at all anymore. It WILL get better!

Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheCrimeOfLyme
Member # 4019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCrimeOfLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rifampin made me want to kill myself and others around me. it was very hard for me. I had to take a smaller dose due to that.

--------------------
You want your life back? Take it.

Posts: 3169 | From Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if you ever want to talk (preferably West Coast daylight hours) 1-831-662-2895!!!

sit on your hands if you really feel like hurting yourself!!! don't do it-!!

it will pass!!!
best wishes,
Sarah

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

thank you all so much...
von
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8333

Icon 1 posted      Profile for von     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi again Aadam,
From reading on your other thread, sounds like a lot of drug changes for you lately.

Several of the diseases AND several of the meds can cause suicidal thoughts.

Sound like you are on the right track of getting to the nitty gritty of what is making you sick, and perhaps what will make you well.

BUT YOU MAY NEED TO GO VERY SLOW WITH CHANGES IN MEDS AND DOSAGES.

I know that we all want to kill this stuff as soon as we can, but slow and steady has merits.
Talk with your doctor asap.

Hang in there!
Von

Posts: 258 | From Washington State | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hardynaka
Member # 8099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardynaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adamm, many lyme patients die from suicide. I guess it's the main cause of death for lyme (?). They feel little improvement and hopeless.

However, most people that treat lyme intensively DO IMPROVE! I've seen that over and over and it seems to be a more COMMON PATTERN than exceptional one. It may take some time, though, and you'll need some patience.

No matter what protocol or treatment you choose, most people IMPROVE with treatment. Some radically improve, others stabilize, some others even get to remission!

That's what I see here and in other lyme forums in these last years, since I discovered I had lym (2005).

Never ever give up! I felt crap in some days, life not worth living at all, but then, some other days, my life was next to normal again. It happened so suddenly to me sometimes.

I've read that on and on here, specially for people that got rid of babs: like night and day in a very short period!!!

When I think of what I thought before, now that I feel next to normal (even if fighting a small relapse), I find it was totally nonsense! My life now worths living every single day.

Hang in!!! Many people here have gone through that. Believe me!

Selma

Posts: 1086 | From Switzerland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many of us can identify!

People have these feelings when they aren't taking pharmaceutical drugs & they don't have to deal with a really bizarre illness.

This one is particularly difficult!

Just know that there are others out there who share your feelings.

Try to keep it together but if you need help - call someone.

It's best not to get a medical record from the state for having suicidal thoughts but if you can't help it - go seek out help.

Life is worth living - you never know when things will change or what tomorrow brings.

I try to take pleasure in the small things - like a good cup of coffee or the beautiful color of the sky.

I'm not a religious person - so, I don't think it's a sin to kill yourself.

I do think there is some reason why we are here, though.

Even if we have to deal with pain & suffering.

You are not alone.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mepron can do it. Call someone if you feel this way, like your LLMD. He had my daughter back off the dosage.
Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can relate..

maybe try an SSRI like Zoloft to help. It helps me a lot,

I know how you feel and it is a lonely place.

If you need to "talk" email me at [email protected]

Melissa

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canbravelyme
Member # 9785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canbravelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Adamm,

Are you on any anti-depressants? Even at small doses, when used for nerve pain, they can cause the opposite effect.

Please take good care, and keep us informed.

[kiss]

--------------------
For medical advice related to Lyme disease, please see an ILADS physician.

Posts: 1494 | From Getting there... | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Exposure to electromagnetic fields and suicide among electric utility workers: a nested case-control study...

OBJECTIVES This nested case-control study examines mortality from suicide in relation to estimated exposure to extremely low frequency electromagnetic fields (EMFs) in a cohort of 138 905 male electric utility workers.

METHODS Case-control sampling included 536 deaths from suicide and 5348 eligible controls. Exposure was classified based on work in the most common jobs with increased exposure to magnetic fields and indices of cumulative exposure to magnetic fields based on a measurement survey.

RESULTS Suicide mortality was increased relative to work in exposed jobs and with indices of exposure to magnetic fields. Increased odds ratios (ORs) were found for years of employment as an electrician (OR 2.18; 95% confidence interval (95% CI) 1.25 to 3.80) or lineman (OR 1.59; 95% CI 1.18 to 2.14), whereas a decreased OR was found for power plant operators (OR 0.67; 95% CI 0.33 to 1.40).

A dose response gradient with exposure to magnetic fields was found for exposure in the previous year, with a mortality OR of 1.70 (95% CI 1.00 to 2.90) in the highest exposure category. Stronger associations, with ORs in the range of 2.12-3.62, were found for men <50 years of age.

CONCLUSION These data provide evidence for an association between occupational electromagnetic fields and suicide that warrants further evaluation. A plausible mechanism related to melatonin and depression provides a direction for additional laboratory research as well as epidemiological evaluation.

I didn't even need to see this study. And this is exactly why my doctor had better give me heparin today for my babs.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement