LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Does anyone own an infrared sauna?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does anyone own an infrared sauna?
amkdiaries
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amkdiaries   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been looking into purchasing an infrared sauna for detoxifying as there are many claims of mercury removal and other toxins that prevent someone from healing.

They are very expensive and I would like to know if anyone has one. The most basic 2 person model is about $1500.00-three times the cost of a gym membership. Many of the gyms do not have an infrared sauna so joining one for this purpose would be of no benefit. My LLMD suggested using one at least three times weekly for 15 minutes.

Thanks!

Posts: 425 | From NY, United States | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you live near NJ, there's a great sauna place in Palisades Park...

King Sauna - http://www.ekingsauna.com/

There also one in Queens, NY - http://www.nyinspaworld.com/eng/establish/establish02.php

You can try it out first before you decide to buy one for your home.

The professional ones are a little different, though.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I love it and use it at least 5 times per week.

You can get a portable model for less. I have a big, fancy 3 person one, but I know someone who uses the portable one .. it does the same thing.

You can find this at www.betterhealthguy.com .... look down the list at the left and you will find FIR sauna.

The person I know has a seated model and it was less money than that .... but I don't know where she got it though.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We got a $300 single person portable tent style through National Pool Wholesalers.

It comes with a lifetime warranty. We put it to the test last month. The one we bought started to slowly lose temp, we mailed it back and they sent us a brand new one.

My daughter loves it. She won't let me in it. Afraid we'll cross contaminate.

Just a thought.

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have one from Heavenly Heat.....it's AWESOME but was expensive. I use it every day and swear by it. It's made of poplar, I believe, and is completely non-toxic, which is what my LLMD wanted me to get.
He's also willing to help us write it off tax-time!

Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in fairfield county, I think Im gonna try the one in queens on a saturday.

IT LOOKS AWESOME!!!!!OMG!!!!!!!!!!OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amkdiaries
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amkdiaries   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your replies. It sounds like it definitely helps . I think it is worth buying one.
It will serve as my Christmas present for the next 10 years-hopefully!

Posts: 425 | From NY, United States | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
re: lymeHerx001 reply - I haven't tried the one in Queens since I live in NJ.

The one in Palisades Park, NJ is about 30 minutes from my home. It's less expensive since they give you coupons - the fee is about $20, so it's not too bad.

The one in Queens does look awesome! One day I'll try it.

The benefit of going to King Sauna is that the saunas are really amazing.

I've tried the home style ones & they are good but the huge saunas that thy have at the club are a whole other breed of sauna.

They also have steam rooms & hot & cold tubs.

I guess having one at home is convenient, though.

Some of the saunas at King Sauna get ultra hot & it may actually kill the bacteria as opposed to just getting rid of toxins. (This is just an assumption on my part - I don't have any scientific studies on this.)

You can alternate between hot & cold, too.

They also have a sauna with far infrared which is not as hot as the other saunas.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greatcod
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The link is to a website on how the infrared sauna functions...how much more effective it is than convention sauna in detoxing. Very interesting.

http://www.watershed.net/HP-FIR.aspx

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaurenTurner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaurenTurner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I didn't know a sauna was so beneficial. My gym has one, but I've never used it. Maybe I should start...

Thanks for posting about this!

Posts: 248 | From Tejas | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
infrared saunas are good, but they also cause BIG die offs. i have one, and when i use it, it really brings lyme and friends raging out.

i want to get to the point where i can use it 3x week, but fow now, once a week is too much.

if you are considering one, deluxesauna.com has a
2 seater for 995 which is the cheapest on the net.

i got mine there. its a good sauna, BUT it took FOREVER to get here, so thats something to keep in mind.

like i said, in theory its a good lyme therapy, but it can cause some major suffering.

good luck

humbly

derek

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

That's interesting - I've been going through some really bad pain lately.

Do you think that the far infrared sauna (or regular sauna) actually kills the spirochetes?

Is there any evidence of this?

I was talking to my doctor & I thought that the spirochetes may be dying from the sauna & heat.

He said that he thought the sauna was good to relieve the side effects from the herx reaction.

He was assuming that taking a sauna would make you feel better due to the release of toxins from the cells.

What do you guys think?

Does sitting in the sauna actually kill the spirochetes or is it just helping your body release the toxins?

It's best to go slow but I really love the heat & it makes me feel good.

I have been dealing with more pain then usual, though.

It makes me feel good to think I'm killing the Lyme spirochetes but I don't really know if it's true.

Dr. B's protocol says doing exercise to raise body temp can get rid of Lyme.

I assume the same would be true if you go in a sauna.

KauaiGoddess
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KauaiGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm also interested in purchasing a sauna, possibly....

there is not a good place on the island...

what about sunlight saunas?

they have a one person portable far infared, lay down sauna...it's around $1,800 -- they are supposed to have superior quality - tested saunas...but it was the sales man that told me all this...so take it with a grain of salt...

what about quality sauna warehouse?

http://www.qualitysaunawarehouse.com/1p.htm

they have a sale - they have a one person and two person FIR wood sauna, far-infared ceramic heater, no glue, CD player...etc...

it seems too good to be true... $895 + shipping for $280 (more to hawaii & alaska)

Has anyone gotten a sauna from them?

Are the a good company?Quality?

it's hard to tell...

How important is the 'quality' of the sauna as long as it if FAR infared??? is that just a longevity question?

does price always point to quality , in general , with saunas??

I mean, isn't the importance is that you SWEAT?!?!?!?!

I'm confused...

any thoughts?
Mahalos~
Fawne

--------------------
Energy flows where attention goes~

Posts: 302 | From Kauai | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amkdiaries
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7035

It is a big investment and hard to make the right decision. I am looking for a company that gives a lifetime warranty so if I have to pay more I will because I think it will be worth it.

Be careful with the cheaper ones-you don't want one that uses veneers or toxic glues. The last thing you want is to get more toxic from something used for detox.

Also I have called many companies and a few have hounded me with phone calls,e-mails,etc. I am not comfortable with a company like this because if they are reputable, the product should sell itself.

Another factor I am told is important is the wavelength of the heat. The longer waves penetrate fat tissue deeper where all the toxins are stored. This is only what I have been told.

I hope to buy one shortly and will let everyone know how it turns out.

KauaiGoddess
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KauaiGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what ones are you looking at?

Yes, I agree with you of the importance of getting a sauna with non toxic wood and no glues-

I'm even skeptical of the vinal coating on the lye down saunas- of heating that material...

it doesn't seem good to me- I don't know if that's just me being overly SENSITIVE...

but I know plastic water bottles leach toxic chemicals-BPA's and others into our water-

Are platic water bottles a health hazard?

sierra club article

Plastic water bottles- safe?

so why would we want to heat some plastic in an enclosed area sweating, and breathing it in?

especially the sierra club article- where the rat cages were leaching BPA's and causing "chromosomal abnormalities"...

hmmmm....

Yes- I too have been bombarded with emails from companies- I agree- A sauna should seel itself, if good...

what do you think about the quality sauna warehouse one?

Yes, I was told the same about the wavelengths...14 was supposed to be superior??

If you wouldn't mind sharing some your looking at...I'd love it....

what wood do you think is the best non-toxic?

mahalos~

Fawne

--------------------
Energy flows where attention goes~

Posts: 302 | From Kauai | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greatcod
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-I am curious about how many lamp heads the small one use. One, a couple, more?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, saunas do cause die offs.

its more from the action of the infrared lighting then it is the heat itself.

in the early 90s, raising one's body heat core for extended periods of time (103 degrees) was an experimental treatment for lyme.

unfortunately, it did not have the desired effect.

but, this does not mean that FIR saunas do not kill spirochetes. its kind of a double edged sword.

if you read about FIR sauna, it SHOULD relieve pain, lower stress, etc etc.

BUT, the LYME patient is different, because i believe the sauna actually causes MORE toxins to be mobilized, thus making you feel worse. and it will, for some time, depending on how sick you are.

the idea is that eventually, the more you do it, eventually you should start feeling better as your bacterial load gets lower and your herxes diminish. but, that does not mean it wont make you feel worse in the beginning, and, maybe every time.

the idea is that is pushes you beyond the level of healing where youre at, and from my experience, like most lyme therpaies, this makes you feel worse, before it makes you feel better.

i think its a great tool though, and i have one and use it once a week.

hopefully one day i can do it 3x a week and withstand the die off. i am not in the place where i want to cause big die offs, i am just starting to get some of my life back...

it come back to the same question, how sick are you and how much suffering are you willing t endure to get better?

good luck

deluxesauna.com
995 w free shipping
takes forever to get there
has 5 FIR ceramic heaters

kills the buggers!

humbly,

derek

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gopats
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5218

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gopats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have one. I bought it from national pool wholesalers. For $975. I found it on ebay and then researched it. It does have non-toxic glue/wood.

I have found it extremely helpful. On days when the pain is so great it gives me a break from the pain. It also helps with the long term detoxing.

My brother has a different type and loves his as well.

I love it....it was worth the money for me.

Posts: 298 | From Maine | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Johnny, ours was $2900 for a one person model. Made of poplar, no glues at all, completely non-toxic.
Our is the FIR1 model.

Yes, it was a huge investment, but I am in it every other day and feel SO GREAT when I get out. Just....aaah! So we saved up some $ and splurged. My LLMD also kept pushing (he does not have any kick-back relationships with any of them, just kept urging me to get one). So I took that seriously. I really think it helps detox. I also go in it after my Bicillin shot to distribute the meds quickly and take the pain away.

Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stupid question of the day...

Does it make any noise... humming, buzzing?

If inside.. can you hear stuff outside of it. Example... a phone ringing?

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amkdiaries
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7035

I don't know if you can hear anything from inside but if not it's OK with me. It will be like an escape from people, phones, etc.

I'm looking forward to it!

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Thanks for the info Derek!

It's kind of an interesting conundrum... I've been definitely going through a period of worse pain but I also feel good from going to the sauna place.

I feel like if I keep doing it eventually the bugs will die-off more so the Cowden protocol will be more effective - but I don't know this for sure.

Since I go to King Sauna (I think I mentioned it a few times), it really amazes me why we don't have public places where people can use these beneficial tools.

King Sauna has several different types of saunas & they have one especially for women which is very hot, plus a salt sauna, a 23 K gold sauna & a couple with far infrared.

I think there would be alot less crime & illness if there were public saunas & baths available.

King Sauna is very Korean & many of the Koreans in the community here use it.

There are very few caucasians (or other racial groups) there.

I think they are really on to something & I wish more people in the US would learn about this.

I have also visited Iceland & they have many thermal pools there for the public to use.

There really should be more public saunas for people to use.

It seems sad to me that people have to all spend extra money to get a cheap sauna they can have at home.

I'm glad they are available but they are not like being able to go to a public one that is better made & more deluxe.

I guess it's just not part of our culture, yet... We all have to do the best we can.

PS - I've read about the info regarding xenoestrogens... I would not want to use a sauna with any plastic materials in it - it would be worth the extra money to avoid the plastic materials or glus.

evgen
Member # 14118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evgen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it's truly better to be lymee in russia cause 3 hours visit to public sauna (or russian "bania")costs 12 dollars only and thera two or more that I know for only 8 dollars unlimited

--------------------
~From Russia with Lyme~

Posts: 34 | From Rostov-on-Don, Russia | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evgen
Member # 14118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evgen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey sparkl,
if only you could know how popular public saunas are here, not all of them are good (clean, good service, but these days there are two types of sauna lovers: some go there to relax with prostitutes and less ppl really come for health purposes

--------------------
~From Russia with Lyme~

Posts: 34 | From Rostov-on-Don, Russia | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Yes, Evgen... they have a Russian & Turkish bath in the Village (Greenwich Village in NYC, that is) not too far from me.

I never tried it since it looked kind of seedy from the website.

I actually found the Korean one in NJ because our hot water was out for a few days & I really needed to take a bath.

The Korean one (King Sauna) is all health, no hanky panky or alcoholic beverages.

It's very clean & the ladies area is separate from the mens.

There is a restaurant & some saunas that are communal.

The establishment gives you cotton shorts & t-shirts to wear if you want to use the communal saunas.

The baths, showers, steam room, & hot tubs are separate for men & women, though.

Mostly everyone is naked in the wet areas that are separated by gender.

I do notice there are few Russians & Scandanavians there but it's mostly Korean.

The rate is $20 with a discount coupon & you can stay as long as you want (until closing @ 11pm).

I imagine it's very traditional to Korea or Japan.

I used to travel alot & I've visited these types of places in many countries.

This one in NJ (surprisingly) is one of the best I've been to.

The one I visited in Amsterdam was co-ed & nude.

People there didn't seem to be all that uptight about it, though.

I think it may be a Russian thing to use alcohol & go to the sauna (& maybe indulge in other stuff - wink).

They have signs at the Korean sauna that the use of alcohol is forbidden since people can have heart attacks while in the sauna.

The Blue Lagoon in Iceland is something else if you ever get the chance to visit it.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement