LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Viruses and Immunoglobulins - what do they mean?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Viruses and Immunoglobulins - what do they mean?
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got some blood test results in the mail. My IgGs are high - IgMs are okay. What does this mean?

Parvovirus AB B19 IGG

5.6 H

EBV VCA IGG AB

5.00 H

Herpes Virus 6 IGG

1.320 H

Bartonella IGM and IGG (Quest) - Negative

Immunoglobulin G Subclasses Panel (certain ones are low):

Immunoglobulin Subclass 1: 355 L (382-929)
Immunoglobulin Subclass 2: 297 (241-700)
Immunoglobulin Subclass 3: 13 L (22-178)
Immunoglobulin Subclass 4: 31.7 (4-86)
Immunoglobulin Serum: 765 (723-1685)

Are these okay???

ACTH: 7 (5-27)
DHEA: 115 (25-220)
Free T4: 1.1 (0.8 - 1.8)
TSH: 3.31 (0.40 - 4.5)
Free T3: 316 (230-420)

I'm worried about my low immunoglobulins mostly. It seems my parvo is even higher than my EBV, so maybe that is bad?

Thanks for your input!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curiouser
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curiouser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know anything about IgG or IgM testing, but thyroid is something I'm familiar with.

Both of your FreeTs are low. Most people feel better when they're above midrange, usually in the upper 1/3 of the range. Yours are both below midrange.

And your TSH is high. Ideally, it should be somewhere between 1 and 2.

Your ACTH is low. Really low. What time of day was this test done? If done in the morning (before 10am), it should be towards the top, if not slightly over, the range (close to 30).

Did they test your serum cortisol at the same time? They should have.

Your DHEA is slightly below midrange. Not surprising since your ACTH is low too.

Hope this helps. [Smile]

--------------------
If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there. - Lewis Carroll

Posts: 356 | From Body-PA, Mind-elsewhere | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Wow. Thanks. Here I thought everything was okay. I'm not surprised my thyroid is out of wack. I am about 110 lbs, but for me, that is heavy. My normal weight when I feel healthy is around 98-100.

The blood was drawn at about 9am in the morning. I think he did draw a cortisol. Let me see if it is on there.

My cortisol was 15.9 (4-22 for 7am to 9am is normal).

Maybe I'll try starting my kelp again since I'm taking artemisinin now.

CD57
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the immunoglobulins done, the same ones you did...and I thought I remember my LLMD saying that in Lyme disease, they pay most attention to subclasses 3 and 4. But someone will come along to verify (or not) this.
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katy S.
Member # 14067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Katy S.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Your infectious titers are very similar to mine . . . This is what my Quest results say about mine: "A positive result indicates that the patient has antibody to (____virus X, or bacteria). It does not differentiate between an active or past infection. The clinical diagnosis must be interpreted in conjunction with the clinical signs and symptoms of the patient." In other words, if you feel like crap clinically you can suspect that these viruses have something to do with it. They're reactivated. It may be that Lyme is the cause of the immune disruption and the old viruses then kick up again. It's adding insult to injury.

I read somewhere that low IgG 1 and 3 (which I also have) points towards Lyme disease. In any case your immunoglobulins are being eaten up by a pathogen or pathogens. You should also know whether your natural killer cells are low. I'll bet they are. My doctor says they need to get up there to protect against cancers, etc.

You don't have high titers to mycoplasma or chlamydia pneumoniae?

Katy

--------------------
"There is more in heaven and earth, Horatio, than is drempt of in your philosophy" - Shakespeare.

Posts: 13 | From Dallas, Texas | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katy S.
Member # 14067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Katy S.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way, you should know the significance of a nonreactive Lyme . . . it means nothing, really, as you may be too beat to produce antibodies. The sickest people test nonreactive.

Katy

--------------------
"There is more in heaven and earth, Horatio, than is drempt of in your philosophy" - Shakespeare.

Posts: 13 | From Dallas, Texas | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curiouser
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curiouser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your cortisol actually isn't that bad, although it could be better. A 24-hour cortisol saliva test would give a good view of what your adrenals are doing.

Different stages of adrenal fatigue are difficult to dx without the 24-hour test. Until you get to the really late stages, the cortisol can reflect as normal or near-normal in blood tests.

Adrenal fatigue is common among those who are suffering from chronic health problems.

It's not surprising to find funky hormone-y stuff going on, as Lyme and co-infections put a lot of strain on the body, as well as affecting the pituitary and hypothalamus.

--------------------
If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there. - Lewis Carroll

Posts: 356 | From Body-PA, Mind-elsewhere | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My IgG subtype 2 is 151 low (241-700)

The rest are normal

Then I had Lymphocyte subset panel 1

Did you?

the abnormal were
CD3-CD16+CD56+ (Abs) 53 low (70-760)
CD3-/CD16+CD56+ (%) 2 low (4-25)

What it means is beyond me. It is like a different language-

Melissa

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Thanks for all the info.

I'm not sure if he tested my natural killer cells, and so far I haven't tested positive for mycoplasma or chlamydia pneumoniae. I wouldn't doubt I had one or both of these last year though - vocal chord polyp, asthma, you name it - my lungs were not happy.

My lungs are actually pretty strong now. I'm not sure what I did that fixed my lungs, but at one time, I honestly felt like I was suffocating, and I even had developed equivocal anti-striatal muscle antibodies.

They were wanting to dx me with myasthenia gravis, but I put my foot down because I knew I had some whopping infection, just with the way my voice sounded alone.

I actually was feeling pretty good the morning this blood was drawn - I think a nice, clean Canadian air mass came through. I don't think he tested my lymphocyte subsets, but I don't have all of my results yet, so I can't be sure.

I went back on one thread here though - there was someone who lived in PA who had tested positive for West Nile, and if it's in PA, I guarantee I caught it.

I'm actually thinking maybe viruses are living in my eyes - no antibiotic yet has even put a dent in my eye troubles. I cannot wear my contact lenses, and on some mornings, it almost feels like the undersides of my eyelids are raw.

I was reading another thread about how artemisinin kills HIV. Artemisinin is helping some of my symptoms (in exchange for massive sweats), but I'm finding I still need quinine powder.

Since I test positive for babesia, I'm trying to figure out why I seem to need both the quinine and artemisinin? I would think that artemisinin alone would take care of babesia. Does artemisinin kill malaria or does only quinine?

Whatever I have though dissolved my gums in certain spots - HHV6? I literally could cut through my gum tissue trying to floss my teeth. Consequently, I stopped flossing.

johnlyme1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnlyme1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is another way to look at immunoglobulins. These are protein based. On your chem panel and CBC take a look too see where you proteins are. Are they on the high side or low. I would suspect the low. My LLMD tries to make sure that the body has what it needs to digest proteins within the digestive tract. This also means taking a good look at all GI problems.

My proteins were low for the longest time. After we got the proteins up with some gi support my immunoglobulins improved.

Posts: 582 | From milwaukee wi | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisys
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know enough about tests to comment on yours, but one thing I learned: The thyroid and adrenal glands pick up the slack for each other.

So if one is not up to par, the other works harder. Since your thyroid function is low, you might find you need to support your adrenal glands too.

I ended up on armour and cortef both before I started to feel stronger.

Posts: 552 | From New Mexico, USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please do some reading at www.hhv-6foundation.org. You may very well have active infection with HHV-6 virus and EBV.

Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Thanks! I know around the time my cat had FIP, a fatal feline corona virus, I began to develop cold sores - they took a while to go away, too. I also grew up with a dog who was epileptic.

Here are some more results.

Sed rate: 2

CBC:

white 7.1 (3.8-10.8)
red 4.28 (3.8-5.1)
hemoglobin 14.1 (11.7-15.5)
hematocrit 41 (35-45)
MCV 95.7 (80-100)
MCH 33 (27-33)
MCHC 34.5 (32-36)
RDW 12.8 (11-15)
platelet 194 (140-400)
absolute neutrophils 5467 (1500-7800)
absolute lymphocytes 1136 (850-3900)
absolute eosinophils 142 (15-500)
absolute basophils 0 (0-200)
neutrophils 77%
lymphocytes 16%
monocytes 5%
eosinophils 2%
basophils 0%

My B12 is on the low side now - it was sky high at one point:

220 (200-1100)

iron total 54 (40-175)
iron binding capacity 278 (250-450)
% saturation 19 (15-50)

protein total 6.6 (6.2-8.3)

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement