LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Repetitive intense dreams

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Repetitive intense dreams
Aligondo Bruce
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6219

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aligondo Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very bizzarre. I have been plagued with this symptom since disease onset.. I am wondering if others experience this. The dreams are intense and I tend to remember the content. Often I dream about a certain place and people from long ago for reasons I can't adequately explain.

It's very disturbing. The dreams have a lingering clouding effect on my conscious daytime existence by dredging up places and especially people from the long ago past.

This is not a medication effect. I am wondering if others experience this haunting symptom. I have a pretty bad encephalopathy which is moderate to severe global hypoperfusion on CU spect, have been extensively iv treated for Bb and am now experiencing very good results from levaquin for possible coinfection.

Posts: 523 | From Stillwater,OK,USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
justwondering
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justwondering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, put me down for those wacked out dreams, too! Have had them for years, worse since Lyme.

I know you said yours are not medicine related, but mine are much more vivid and scary when I am on meds.

If you are dreaming about the same places and or people repeatedly, you might have some unfinished business on your mind.

I often dream of my past and childhood places.

Try writing down your dreams in the morning and see if perhaps they are linked to some anxiety you may be having.

Sorry, you must not be sleeping very well, so I hope your dreams lighten in intensity!

Take care:)

Posts: 209 | From maryland | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peacesoul
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is one of my biggest complaints.
My dreams are not only vivid, but emotionally disturbing. I seem to get them more often when I'm herxing or just not feeling well in general.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me those were distinctly Babesiosis and THEY WENT AWAY with Mepron&)!&)!**!)! They were evil.

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aligondo Bruce
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6219

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aligondo Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me give an example...when I was in elementary school, I used to play with a girl from down the street {lived in a different town and different state]. I had a secret crush on her at the time. We'd get together and play red light green light and simon says and board games and all the fun things that kids do etc.

Now lately suddenly I started dreaming about her when I hadn't thought about her for years. Where is that coming from. It is driving me crazy. It is like a dream I might have had when I was 9 years old, but I'm having it now 25 years later. In the dream I am either desperately searching for her and she's not home, and moreover nobody is home and her family doesn't live there anymore, or I am trying to kiss her and she refuses me.

Naturally, I'm single. Anyone want to analyze that one?

Posts: 523 | From Stillwater,OK,USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like--YOU still have a crush on her!!

I had a weird one once when I had been sick with this for quite awhile and all the ducks were giving me the duck merrygoround.

I dreamt I went to the doctor and told him all my weird problems,,,and he gave me a 'shot' to fix all my ills.

It was like giving a shot to a water balloon,,,cept in MY case I was so infection riddled the pus oozed out on the floor and they couldnt stop it,,, and I wilted and died right there JUST like a water balloon would!!

Little did I know that was the foretell of things to come,,,infection riddled I guess,,,nothing to be done!!

And I RARELY if ever remember ANY dreams,,,but THIS one is still vivid 8 years later!!!but --just don--

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All

I would say just be glad that you are dreaming-

I did not have Any dreams for about 15 yrs
and have only recently started have dreams
again --

Some of the dreams have been a little wacky-
but Im just glade to be having them again-

--Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rianna
Member # 11038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rianna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I experienced severe bad dreams and repetative dreams that I thought were real and hallucinations on Babesia treatment so I assume it was a babs herx - perhaps yours could be related to Babesia??

Rianna

Posts: 1172 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greatcod
Unregistered

"Naturally, I'm single. Anyone want to analyze that one?"

Straightforward--you are probably Lyme lonely. and expressing your wish for companionship,
but are continuely frustrated.

CatWoman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CatWoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I have very vivid exhausting dreams almost nightly. I also have frequent nightmares (for several years I have had recurrent dreams of dying or almost dying in plane crashes. At the worst it is 3 times weekly I have this dream). I also have a lot of dreams about rape, violation, disturbing stuff like that.

It is exceedingly rare that I have emotionally neutral dreams.

I also have lots of dreams about people from my past too. People I haven't thought of for years.

The nightmares/vivid dreams are exhausting.

I also have moderately-severe global hypoperfusion. My spect scan was done at Columbia presbyterian hospital in NYC. I have been treated for babesia (10 months approx.) and did bicillin shots for 10 months approx. I am on IV rocephin. I have a positive Fry bart test but haven't done treatment yet.

Posts: 255 | From where we don't have Lyme disease | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CatWOman those sound like the dreams I had- dreams pursued until caught and horrible things-

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

I think in my case this is caused by the the use of tricyclic

antidepressants. I actually kinda like it, but my dreams tend not

to be that upsetting.

Boy, be careful on these things, though --withdrawal can

REALLY

mess up your sleep. If

I miss a dose, the process of falling asleep that night will likely

be

interrupted at least half a dozen times by panic and

hallucinations.

tailz
Unregistered

I used to dream, but I don't usually dream anymore. When I do though, it's usually pretty intense.
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think dreams are very useful. We go through alot of stress with this illness & it can definitely play a part in our dreams.

Dreams act like having a built in therapist. They help us deal with the stress or anxiety of day to day living by playing it out during sleep.

It's often symbolic so you have to look at things happening during dreamtime as being metaphors for stuff.

It's good to try to analyze them to see how to work through issues that effect us.

Sometimes dreams can be spiritual or prophetic, too. Google "lucid dreaming" for more info...

Sorry you're having a screwed up social situation. I understand. I lost alot of "friends" when I became ill. People don't want to be around sick people. It's just a screwed up fact of life...

At least we have this message board to communicate on!

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I have had a repetitive series of dreams, constantly over the past three years while I became very ill with tick-borne diseases and during the past year and one half of treatment and recovery.

Each dream is different, but it always involves moving to a new place to live. In my dreams I have moved into different homes, apartments, empty or furnished, lofts or shared flats, in many different cities, with and without my husband and different friends and roommates, into different types of neighborhoods. Sometimes we have to fix up the places, sometimes they are furnished.

One night I moved by myself into a small furnished flat above a major street in New orleans, a city I have never been too unfortunately (that flat came with a new job too). Many dreams involve looking at/getting different large loft spaces in the city in different places (wishful thinking). Sometimes I have gone back to the same imaginary space dreamed about on a previous nights to choose between a few options, fix it up and take it.

These dreams seem (quite obviously) symbolic of the profound transformation and change that major illness and recovery have had for me. Late stage neuroborreliosis (and whatever else, babesia plus) created major negative changes in my life and abilities as I became very ill, and treatment and recovery is like a rebirth in many ways. Moving ones home is always a chance to start again and have a fresh start. Illness profoundly changed where I am at home -- in my body -- and treatment has created a new home for my mind and spirit.

It can be tiring, all this relentless moving at night. Used to be most of my dreams were these moving/new home dreams, but now they are fewer and mixed up with lots of other types.

AB-- your dream sounds like you are ready to get out there in the social world again!

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, dreams can be symbolic.

Being chased by something terrible or desperately searching for something.
Heh, I can't remember the meanings, but there are web sites with info about dreams.

One of my reoccurring dreams involves being at my childhood home.

Apparently the roof has leaked, and the ceilings look like they are about to cave in.

The metal window frames have warped, and the windows in my bedroom no longer wind close or keep out the weather.

I figure the decrepit house in my dreams symbolizes my health.

[Frown]

A long time ago I dreamed I was at my parents home, and saw that the basement wall was cracking and breaking through.

Right away, I knew it meant that my parent's "foundation" was caving in.
They had been having more and more health problems.
Good health is the foundation of a good life.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CatWoman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CatWoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Aligondo Bruce I just sent you a PM hope you got it.
Posts: 255 | From where we don't have Lyme disease | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiserforit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiserforit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is such a great post! You know how Lyme is an opportunist and attacks the weakest parts of our bodies (like old injuries)? Perhaps this can be said of the weak link in our private psyches too.

I, too, have repetitive dreams...nightmares -- ever since taking meds for Lyme and co's.

Same theme, over and over. I find out that my husband has moved us to a smaller home/apartment and has sold all my family treasures. The dream always has me in the apartment and it is dingy and dark and I can't find my children. I try to dial his work number on the phone (a rotary phone from my youth) and the dial just spins around without stopping at numbers. I feel insignificant.

Obviously, the theme is based on feeling like I'm moving backwards instead of improving my life. For the record, my real husband is not like the creep in the dreams at all!

That said, Lyme has taken much from me, but has also made me braver and more appreciative about the sweeter parts of life and how to cherish them.

Aligondo, I say go for the social gusto during the in-between herxing moments (plot out/daydream about the gusto during the herxish times). So, where did that girl get to? Would be interesting to find out! Perhaps your dreams are prophetic?

Best to all,

wiserforit

Posts: 508 | From Banks of the Hudson | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aligondo Bruce
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6219

I don't think so. Thanks to the wonders of the internet I managed to stalk/track her down in about 2 seconds. She still lives in same town but is married. She was always a goody two shoes anyway. I'm certain I have nothing in common with her now, lol. I think cod was right and it was a more general "I need companionship" dream. It also harkened back to a much happier time and probably was an expression of my desire to escape my situation.

I live now in rural Oklahoma. {got infected in CT} Trust me when I tell you there are no women to choose from, especially for someone like me who is pretty bad off wrt things medically and otherwise. I need to find an independently wealthy mommy to take care of me. I need that kind of love both ways.

I'd say the chances of that happening are about one in 100 billion. I might as well try and expand my prospects by placing my hopes on a winning powerball ticket.I am intelligent, affectionate, and attractive {other than the lyme circles under my eyes}. But such a mess. Ughh.

By the way, since the topic is dreams, I might tell you wise that I often have similar dreams...desperately looking for something and unable to find it. Other common themes are very intense crocodile dreams and tornado dreams. the tornadoes are always chasing me or they form right over the house and there is nowhere to hide. The crocodiles live in the pond in the back of the house and are gigantic and scary. Typically in that dream I am trying to convince everyone that there are crocodiles out back but it seems so ludicrous to them that no one even bothers to look. meanwhile the crocodiles terrorize me etc.

One bizzarre dream combined crocodiles and tornadoes. First there were tornadoes everywhere, and just when that was over and I felt like it was safe to emerge from the hidy hole, a gigantic 50 foot crocodile rose from the pond godzilla-style and began terrorizing the town.

Oooh...that reminds me of another horrible repeater...in this dream, a king-kong style monster ape is on the loose, and I am spending the whole dream trying to hide from him while he rampages through town. especially scary are the moments when he lifts the roof off the house and pokes around while I am hidden in a closet under a blanket.

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like the ape might as well be a giant tick!

Good luck with everything.

It's difficult for all of us dealing with this awful disease.

It's been an interesting thread exploring the subconscious side of Lyme.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DoctorLuddite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13853

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DoctorLuddite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will suggest that the girl from your past represents the feeling of future promise that you no longer experience living under the specter of Lyme; the monster dreams are symbolic of your fear of the specter itself. No matter what treatment you are undergoing, the fear of Lyme will remain as close as the backyard of your subconscious mind. If you find a treatment that restores your immune system and your lyme symptoms abate, you may find that the dreams subside or that you are empowered in the dreams to combat the monsters. But I could be wrong. I make know claim to being any kind of dream analysis expert.
Posts: 442 | From Biddeford, ME | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmbfan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmbfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dreams make up a huge part of my life. I often am confused about has really happened and what is reality.

I also dream about people I haven't seen in 20 years-obscure highschool class mates that I don't even know their names!

My dreams are legendary. People tell other people about my dreams! The most bizzare, I cooked John Lithgow and served him at a dinner party-analyze that!

Posts: 368 | From freehold, nj | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
are any of you on meds for HAND TREMORS for parkinson's like symptoms?? can't spell med, but it's something like this .. amandatine, sp

do you HALLUCINATE? and see imaginery people?

i have a close friend this is happening to. her husband was told to increase his tremor med 1 extra pill a day. he did.

for last 2-3 months, he's been talking in his sleep all night long. has violent nigtmares where he wakes up screaming but isn't aware of it.

this past week sees imaginery kids that whisper to him?

any ideas? his wife/i talked; he's going to stop the extra pill proomptly! thanks gang! [group hug] [kiss]

Aligondo Bruce
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6219

quote:
Originally posted by DoctorLuddite:
I will suggest that the girl from your past represents the feeling of future promise that you no longer experience living under the specter of Lyme; the monster dreams are symbolic of your fear of the specter itself. No matter what treatment you are undergoing, the fear of Lyme will remain as close as the backyard of your subconscious mind. If you find a treatment that restores your immune system and your lyme symptoms abate, you may find that the dreams subside or that you are empowered in the dreams to combat the monsters. But I could be wrong. I make know claim to being any kind of dream analysis expert.

Very insightful commentary. Of course it sort of makes me want to slit my wrists, lol. One of the worst symptoms I had in the past was an overwhelming feeling of doom. I could not look forward to the future even though I wanted to. It was something biological IMO, in the brain.

That organic irresistible feeling is now gone. Of course, now that it is gone, I find conciously because of everything that has happened and continuing symptoms etc., there really isn't much left to look forward to.

Aligondo Bruce
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6219

quote:
Originally posted by dmbfan:
My dreams make up a huge part of my life. I often am confused about has really happened and what is reality.

I also dream about people I haven't seen in 20 years-obscure highschool class mates that I don't even know their names!

My dreams are legendary. People tell other people about my dreams! The most bizzare, I cooked John Lithgow and served him at a dinner party-analyze that!

Did you eat him, or did you just serve him to others? how was he prepared? Boiled? Fried? baked? sauces?
Monica922
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monica922     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Add me to the crazy nightmare list! Last night I had one about getting bit by a tick...not kidding. My dreams could be Steven King movies...really horrible.

I really think it is the babesia. I am hoping if I start Mephron tomorrow they will stop...or at least go PG-13.

When you add the hot--cold---hot---cold...not sleeping regimen...definitely babesia.

Posts: 422 | From CT | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aligondo Bruce
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6219

I'm not sure what you're referring to...and this may be an uncomfortable topic...but several people have reported a relationship between babesia and sexually charged imagery in dreams.

I don't know what that's about. It might be that for some reason people experience the dreams more intensely and thus remember them. I'm sure sexual themes are common in normal dreams. It's just that normal dreams are usually forgotten in the conscious state.

DoctorLuddite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13853

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DoctorLuddite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll give the same advice I give everyone...test your circulating levels of 25 hydroxy vitamin D, and look at the lab report yourself, don't let anyone tell you "it's normal", normal for who?
Lab techs often screw up and test the 1,25 dihydroxy vitamin D level, which is meaningless unless horribly low or horribly high, and the determination of normal depends on many factors, time of the year, geographic area, skin pigmentation, chronic toxin exposure, stress, and lastly but not in importance, age. Vitamin D can have very powerful effects on mood, with increases correlating with improvements.

Posts: 442 | From Biddeford, ME | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement