LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » save money - do-it-yourself IV home infusion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: save money - do-it-yourself IV home infusion
MommaK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MommaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi! [Smile]

I have read some great ideas for saving money when doing IV at home yourself on different threads. Hope everyone will post their ideas here!

Now I am considering buying meds from local infusion co. They can mix bags for us. How do you learn to do it yourself?

May try IV push for ceftriaxone to save tubing expense. Guess there are pros and cons to consider.

When you buy IV meds from regular pharmacies are you buying for IM, but using it IV?

Looking for others great money saving ideas!

Thanks, MommaK

Posts: 242 | From Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

I think it would be great if we could learn to do more ourselves or as buddy system.

One word of caution on the "push."

An IV push may be harder on your gallbladder than a drip at certain concentrations of certain meds..

I've not had IV Rx push, but had many vitamin/mineral drips and a couple pushes. The pushes were very hard on me.

And, at one time when I considered Rocephin but could not get IV administered here, I THINK I recall reading that the drip has to go slow. . . faster can really flare up the gallbladder - and a push is faster. The concentration and dose may be different in a push, though. Or is the the same dose with less liquid ?

Sorry to have have literature on that, but it's worth checking out.
I can almost still here those words from my state's lyme network leader.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gave myself my Rocephin IV Push over 5 minutes.

No problems here. I only did it for 30 days though.

Is Lymedad still around? He had a great list and info on this.

Melissa

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JRWagner
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JRWagner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Momma...the drug used for IM injection is NOT the same as the drugs for IV infusion.

In addition, you need to have a nurse insert the line into your arm..you do NOT do this yourself.
Also you need to have someone check your arm and line for problems...you do NOT do this yourself.

Someone aslo has to take blood from you periodically to check your liver, etc. You do NOT do this yourself.

Don't confuse an IV drip with an IV push. The drip should ALWAYS be done first to see how you respond to the medication. Walk before you run.

There is a post up near the top of Medical that mentions cheap Rocephin. In addition, there are various drug companies that give discounted meds where needed, and organizations that help as well.

Don't play around with an IV...this would be an easy way to introduce bacteria directly into your veins if you are not careful!

Peace, Love and Wellness,
JRW

Posts: 1414 | From Ny, Ny | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MommaK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MommaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi!

Thanks for the posts. Sorry for any confusion.

My dd has a PICC line now and has had home health for a month. Now that we are faced with paying for meds etc I am looking for ideas to save money. The Rx is not the problem, the money is.

I have heard of being trained to do dressing changes yourself. Anyone do this?

We could go to outpatient infusion or dr office for changes and have labs drawn.

The rocephin push was suggested to save buying tubing. I know some here do IV push, but have heard warnings also. Would it hurt to try?

I have heard others mention mixing their own meds. I guess they mean in a bag of normal saline. Some posts mention buying IV meds at Walmart or CVS. I am confused.

All this is new to us. IV that is. Thanks for any advice.

Feeling overwhelmed now with everything. Surprise new baby, chronic lyme child, two other demanding children, way behind at work, husband working two jobs, appealing insurance co, Mom's cancer may be back -surgery this week, bills, etc.....

I try to count blessings and be optimistic. I don't think this is post-partum depression but anxiety. I need someone to lead me through some of this.

Thanks lymenet for being there!

MommaK

Posts: 242 | From Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MommaK,

I learned how to change the dressings and did not need a home health nurse for most of the time I had the picc line. However, it does take two people to change the dressing. I could not do it myself, but a friend helped me. Hiker53

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8879 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doomer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11013

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is good info regarding PICC line dressing changes and supplies needed with a picture.

PICC line dressing changes with picture

Posts: 188 | From ID | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MommaK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10376

Hi All!

Thanks for the replies!

Mu dd actually says she would like to change her own dressings because she thinks she will do a better job than our last home health nurse! (She hopes to one day become a RN) Thanks for the info!

The insurance policy does limit IV lyme treatment to 28 days. I have appealed for an exception, not to change the policy at present.

They gave approval for home health only for the 28 days also. The generic rocephin is no longer covered. I am referring to DIY as "self-pay" with doing everything possible yourself to save money! Home health was quoted at $120 a visit.

I had been getting special IV bags from out of state that have 2 chambers, one with powder, one with fluids, that you combine and shake prior to infusing. They are great, expecially when learning everything.

The prices I got show they cost more for self-pay than IV push or the infusion co mixing for you. Have read of someone mixing themselves. How do you learn to do this? Is it a problem to get supplies?

The 1st dose of rocephin was given in the hospital. The nurse gave us the vial of heparin in case we could use it at home. So far we have gotten premixed syringes. Have read some do mix these themselves. Again, How do you learn this?

Our llmd added levequin for bartonella at week three. The insurance only covers it during the 28 day max for lyme, writing beside the bartonella coding that it is "lyme disease". Now have to appeal that bart is not lyme. Not sure it will make a difference. Levaquin cannot be pushed, must be mixed and will cost more.

My dd also has gastroparesis and has been hospitalized twice for fluids recently. The GP wrote a rx for fluids weekly for 4 more weeks. I have the PICC maintenance and fluids from local co now. Was told insurance should pay for maintenance of line. Because of GI issues dd would like more meds IV. Go to GI dr next week.

It breaks my heart to think we may not be able to provide needed medical care to our child. Or if we can scrape by for awhile, will it be long enough? Are we potentially making her relapse worse?

Thanks for everything!

MommaK

[ 21. January 2008, 09:08 AM: Message edited by: MommaK ]

YorktownNL
Member # 7657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YorktownNL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi

I agree, you probably could do just as good a job as some home health nurses with the PICC dressings. To save the money, you'll need to get your doctor on board as he writes the Rx/Referral for the home health.

If you can find a reasonable cost source for the RX and supplies, go for it. I changed my own dressing routinely while on IV.

Obviously is something doesn't look right you'll have to see your doctor anyway....the home health people would recommend that. Now that you've been through this for awhile, you should be able to recognize a problem.

Good luck

Posts: 87 | From Yorktown VA USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sfcharm
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sfcharm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stopped putting dressings around my Groshong catheter at eight weeks. I'm now into my seventh month with no problem.

I'm told that a seal of human skin forms around the catheter site and keeps bacteria out at around eight weeks.

In my lyme support group however a woman one month behind me doing Rocephin IV is still doing weekly dressings on her Groshng catheter.

Barb

Posts: 281 | From san francisco | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement