LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone have terrible neurological effects?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone have terrible neurological effects?
bernieb4
Member # 14654

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bernieb4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone had debilitating neurological side effects (i.e. loss of short-term memory, emotions, appetite, terribly slow-thinking, etc.) and had a spinal tap done and/or MRI, which came back "NORMAL"?

I had a tap and MRI done-both of which were NOT abnormal; however, I have been suffering from very real neurological symptoms for 9 months now. Can anyone relate?

Posts: 98 | From WI | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heiwalove
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, i had SEVERE, unrelenting neuro symptoms that left me completely bedbound, yet my MRI was 'normal.' go figure.

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/violinexplosion

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
je
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for je     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't have a spinal tap done. Its risky, painful and doesn't really show them anything.

Columbia is recruiting right now for a study on spect scans.

They want to find a way to teach doctors to tell the difference between lyme and everything else.

Obviously they haven't started yet, but it makes me really hopeful that something is coming down the pipe.

Posts: 102 | From ny | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spinal taps are all but useless in the diagnosis of Lyme.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rianna
Member # 11038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rianna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes terrible and Horrific, I thought they were Lyme related although I recently changed LLMD's and found they are Bartonella related.

Rianna

Posts: 1172 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daise
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With chronic Lyme disease, scary, debilitating neurological things are standard. [group hug]

Many of the co-infections (other diseases passed on by ticks, even at the same time as Lyme is injected) cause brain infections, as well.

Chronic Lyme disease (after one year of signs and symptoms, it's called that) is defined as being a neurological disorder: neuroborrelliosis, a brain infection of the Lyme pathogen.

For a list of signs and symptoms--for adults and unique ones of children--see a book, Coping With Lyme Disease, by Denise Lang. There are current books on the market as well, with patients' stories.

See also www.ilads.org, Dr. Burrascano's 33 pages of tips for 2005--there is a list and a beginning way of telling if Lyme needs to be properly assessed, using a form.

Seeing a good list of the neuro signs and symptoms was comforting, for me. I'd come home: "Yes, I feel very strongly that I have chronic Lyme disease," I'd thought.

daise [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MusicMan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MusicMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there [Smile]

Stage three Lyme Disease here, had it at least 20 years before I was diagnosed so I have just about every Lyme symptom you can think of.

Just keep on taking those anti-biotics and hang in there. I'll never quit or give up trying to cure this.

Steve

Posts: 406 | From Rhode Island | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Yeah! I had severe neurological, cognitive, and other multi-system imparments/symptoms.

My spinal tap (the worst experience of my life) was normal except for non specific elevated iGg antibodies (neurologist had no idea what this was caused by)

All scans and MRI's were normal; all blood tests were normal; I even had a false negative Lyme test that said normal.

I had a stack of normal test results that when compressed is about 1-1.5 inches thick, but my brian was turning to mush, my body convulsed severly, every muscle set spasmed and twitched, I could barely walk and was in constant pain with other bizzare symptoms.

I thought I was dying and no tests showed a reason why I was in this condition. According to the tests, all I had was proof to the contrary, they looked healthy!

Then, online, I found Lyme disease and discovered what I had, regarless of the first test...see my story link below.

recently after being formerly diagnosed by an LLMD last march I had a SPECT scan done (I think in January) for lyme (different from MRI)and it showed many different forms of brain damage from the disease. I have heard not everyone has good results from a SPECT scan for Lyme but mine showed damage in my entire brain.

If you send me a private message I can tell you where and who did the scan. The doctor that ordered the scan only trusts 2 places to get accurate results consistently.

BJK

--------------------
BJK

Nothing I write here is medical advice...I'm just another lymie sharing how this disease has affected me personally

Posts: 175 | From Central Maine | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, sadly I had horrid neurological symptoms shortly before I got my lyme diagnosis. My "duck" felt for sure I had had a stroke since I couldn't walk, was jerking around on one side of my body but numb on the other. And I was slurring words. It was HORRID HORRID HORRID.

He did yet another MRI at this time. Had had other MRI's, CAT scans etc looking for anything like M.S. etc, years earlier. But with this last test, the MRI came out CLEAN yet again.

So with that, the doctor felt these symptoms obviously were all in my head and felt I needed psychiatric evaluation. I was blessed that I had started seeing a N.D. and when he heard this, HE ran the Igenex and the rest is history.

But sadly, many of us are having some pretty rough neurological issues but nothing shows up on MRI's or anything which has doctors questioning our sanity. Good luck!

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LindaInRhodeIsland
Member # 14727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LindaInRhodeIsland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had severe depression, anxiety, brain fog, inability to concentrate. I was unable to work, read the paper, work on the computer, etc.

Before I found my LLMD I found a Psychiatrist who said my physical symptoms of pain, etc were not in my head and believed me that there was something really wrong. I cried just at the thought that someone believed me!

Of course, she didn't know what was causing the symptoms but she did have me try Cymbalta to help with the mental symptoms and hoped it would help some with the pain too. Cymbalta has been found to help diabetics with neuropathic pain.

Well it worked. Helped a ton with the anxiety, depression and brain fog. Happily it took the edge off of my fatigue too!

I was able to go back to work after starting Cymbalta. It's not a cure all but it really took the edge off for me and got me part of my life back.

It is so difficult to stay positive with the constant pain of the this disease. I am very grateful to have found something to help me cope while I recover.

Posts: 23 | From East Coast | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement