LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Wellbutrin - Wonder Drug??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wellbutrin - Wonder Drug??
Visual Afterimage Man
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10435

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Visual Afterimage Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys,

I just wanted to document some info my my experiences with Wellburtin XL, for those who might search this site for information on this drug.

I know that the antidepressant prescribed for one person may not work for the next person. The same goes for antibiotics as we push our way through this terrible disease.

I also understand that its a bit early in my treatment with Wellbutrin to draw a firm conclusion, but I wanted to get this down before my thoughts fade away in my lyme brain.

So here goes...

I was on 20 mg of Lexipro. Lexipro was making me pretty sleepy and had some sexual side effects that were less desireable. I talked to my doc about being sleepy all the time.

He moved me over to Wellbutrin XL. I haven't been on it very long, but can already feel the difference.

I think the difference is that Wellbutrin is not just an SSRI (selective seritonin reuptake inhibitor), however it works on seritonin, norapenephrin and dopamine. This may be why I feel so much different on this drug vs any other SSRI that I have been on.

I feel pretty good overall. I feel much less brain fogged. I am starting to feel my memory coming back and this drug has been known to actually INCREASE your libedo. Most of of lymies have very little libedo for whatever reason. But I can honestly say that it's making me feel like a 29 year old male should feel like.

It has even helped with my visual afterimages. I think that may be due to the fact that I'm less sleepy. With more energy I feel like my eyes are less fatigued and thus my vision issues are not as bad.

Now for the bad... This drug is a bit of a stimulant. If I take this after 9:00 AM then I have trouble getting to sleep at night. If I take some Meltonin my sleep is better.

Also, if I take this drug and then have a few cups of coffee, then I feel a bit wired. I might even go as far to say that I might experience some mania events. So be careful with mixing those two. Go easy on the coffee until you know how you will react with the two drugs in your system.

Other than that.... I can't think of any negitives. I have no idea the cost, because the doc gave me enough samples to last me a month. I'm sure I'll end up purchasing the drug sometime in the near future.

Again, I'm not trying to make a sales pitch for this drug. By all means, I don't get a dime for being a proponent of it. I just want to share what seems to be working for me. If it helps even one person, then it was well worth the time to type this message.

Feel free to chime in with your experiences with Wellbutrin XL.

Best wishes to you all!

--------------------
26 months of treatment. And counting.......

Posts: 298 | From Northeast Kansas | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on Wellbutrin SR 150mg for over seven years. It saved my life.

My duaghter has been on 450mgXL for the past year. Loves it. She takes it late in the morning, so she needs a boatload of meds to sleep at night. But, the tradeoff for a stable mood has been worth it.

She had to go to a new psychiatrist today because our insurance dumped her. This plan doesn't let her have the XL, but the SR...and she will have to take less, but the doc is supplementing 5-10mg of Lexapro with it.

We are not happy about this, but she doesn't have much of a choice.

Kelmo

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LindaInRhodeIsland
Member # 14727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LindaInRhodeIsland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a wonderful experience with Cymbalta after trying Effexor. So glad Wellbutrin worked for you.

Having the assistance with the mental well being has made a HUGE difference in living with this disease.

I hope others can overcome their fear of these drugs and try them. My family says it is nice to have more of the "real" me back!

Linda

Posts: 23 | From East Coast | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for posting this guys.

ive been considering trying welbutrin again.

i was on it last year and didnt see much of a difference but then again i was really bad then so itd be hard to tell.

thanks again, i am glad this is helping some.

derek

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TexasChaos
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7465

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TexasChaos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't been on it long enough to notice if it's helping the depression, but it does help my energy. Unfortunately, it causes increased urination and makes me have to use the restroom every half hour, so I don't know if I can stand to stick with it!
TMI? Sorry. [Smile]

Posts: 220 | From central TX | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter liked Cymbalta, too. But, after a year it stopped working for her. (Remember...teenage brain, doesn't mean it won't work for you)

When she was on Mepron, her depression got so bad, she has maxed out Wellbutrin at 450mg. She is afraid to start backing off of it because she knows that she will flare, and she's in the middle of trying to keep college classes.

Maybe over the summer she can start backing off a bit.

Wow...frequent urination...maybe it's irritating your kidneys.

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LindaInRhodeIsland:

I had a wonderful experience with Cymbalta after trying Effexor.

I actually have a Rx for Cymbalta that I've been too afraid to try since my experience with Effexor-XR.

The Effexor did nothing to help me & I would up battling horrible withdrawal Sx when even slightly late with a dose. IMO, It's a cruel medication to Rx for someone with memory issues. [shake]

I hadn't thought about checking the half-life of the Cymbalta, maybe it's not as evil as the Effexor. ???

I certainly don't need any more problems with my libido. Did you notice any negative/positive effects from the Cymbalta, where libido is concerned? (You can PM me if you don't want to post an answer to that on the board)

[confused]

I wonder if the Wellbutrin might be a better option.

I'm one of those people who's afraid of brain-chemical altering medications. [Eek!] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought is was a wonder drug too but what I found out is that its just cocaine in a different package.

I think that there was a study that said 1/3 of the patients on wellbutrin get a high like that of cocaine.

For me the first time I took it I started with a little sliver. I was on the toilet in the bathroom and my heart started beating so fast and hard and I thought I was going to die.

But since I knew that I was depressed and wanted out of it I started taking a little more each day. I did notice being more awake and alert and colors were brighter and I felt AWAKE!

However I also experienced some insomnia with it. But I continied and worked up to 2 tablets of the XL each day. When I did that I really started to loose sleep. I was going into work after sleeping about 3 hours. I was miserable.

That being said I asked the doc for something to knock me out. He didnt give me anything else other then that Ambien. It didnt work. I wanted Klonopin or something.

One night I ran out of the Ambien and figured that I would just start to take more and more skelaxin and flexirl to sleep.

Every hour I would take a skelaxin, I figured that eventually it would knock me out.

I ended taking 13 skelaxin and 8 flexiril?
I spent the next day vomiting with flu like symptoms. I overdosed.

So long story short at this point I couldnt handle the Wellbutrin because its half-life is to long. I think it stays in the body for more then 24 hours!

Hope this helps.
lh001

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peacesoul
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I refuse any and all antidepress, though I prob should be taking something b/c I find the days getter worse, but my best friend who suffered from severe depression his entire life started Wellbutrin over a year ago and it saved his life.
He went from being a heavy pot smoker and being in his house all the time to quitting all dope and going to the gym 5 days a week. At this point, I think it's the exercise that's saving him and not the drug, but he did get him out of his "hump"

My boyfriend took it to quit smoking and he was TERRIBLY sick from it. So yeah, it's a hit and miss!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lymeHerx001:

For me the first time I took it I started with a little sliver. I was on the toilet in the bathroom and my heart started beating so fast and hard and I thought I was going to die.

[Eek!]

I didn't think you were supposed to split the XL or SL because of the way they are formulated. Aren't they formulated for more gradual release?

Maybe that's why you had such a problem starting out?

[confused]

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried Wellbutrin and I agree with the poster who said it was similar to cocaine. That's what it felt like and it was a holy nightmare.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement