LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » NO Doxycyline with Mepron and Azithromycin when treating for Babesia says this LLMD

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NO Doxycyline with Mepron and Azithromycin when treating for Babesia says this LLMD
Health
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sure some of you have seen this slide presentation, I had it saved on my Favourites list on my computer and just happened to view it today by accident when looking for something else.

GLAD, I did, because I am to be on Mepron and Azithromycin I think if all goes well, and Dr B says, NO Doxycycline! when on this combo, and I am wondering if this also means Minocycline as well.

Here is the slide I am talking about, and some of you I read on here are or were on Doxycyline with Mepron and Azithromycin,

Here is the slide.

http://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/conf2007/burrascano1/img68.html

Trish

Posts: 1250 | From Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Walnut
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6585

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Walnut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tetracycline antibiotics (including doxycycline and minocycline) interacts with mepron/malarone, making mepron/melarone less efffective.

However, a doctor may still prescribe doxy or mino with mepron if they are treating other co-infections, such as ehrlichia for which zithromax is fairly ineffective.

Posts: 187 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another member and I both called the manufacturer about doxy and mepron. I talked to the pharmacist there and she said it can reduce mepron by up to a whopping 40%!!

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This does concern me as I'm on Malarone and Mino. However, I know the Malarone is working as it's alleviating my symptoms and I'm only taking one per day, plus it caused one heck of a herx when I started back on it.

I asked my LLMD about it, and he said he has had good luck with these combinations .... though I can't say it doesn't still concern me.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Terry!

Was that me, you were referring to? [Big Grin]

Not only did I give GSK heck for reporting the interaction under Malarone, but not Mepron, when it occurs with the Atovaquone (NOT the proguanil), I also reported the "oversight" to the FDA.

GSK's "scientific research dept" confirmed that it was INDEED with the atovoquone & could give no good reason for the omission from the Rx info, only that they probably found out about it AFTER it was written. [bonk] [rant]

I wonder if they've done anything about it yet. I doubt it, having people "waste" such an expensive med must result in quite a pretty bonus for them. [Roll Eyes] [Mad]

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember reading under Zithromax's information not to take it with a tetracycline class med.

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Johnny, I believe it does since it's the same active ingredient in both.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElaineC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9857

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ElaineC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I had this same dilemma a while back - if you do a search you'll see posts on it -

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=060288

-I was already on Malarone, Zith and Art for Babs and my LLMD suggested adding Doxy.

I had read all the literature saying not to take the two together, and brought it to the attention of my LLMD - sent him DETAILED links etc. from Dr.'s B and S and the GSK website.

He is a very well-known and respected LLMD in Upstate NY with alot of Babs experience, and he assured me that he has been using this combo for many many years and in his experience, it works well when used with Zith.

Sixgoofykids - I think I remember you saying you had amazing results on this....as had others in the link below.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=057363

I guess, like everything Lyme-related, it may be individual though.

I did this for 3 months and have now stopped it, and added Septra and Lariam to an increased dose of Malarone and Art instead. Hard to say if the Doxy was interfering - maybe my babs treatment wasn't aggressive enough anyway.

Would be interesting to do do a poll on this!

Posts: 261 | From Herx-ville!! | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvdogs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9507

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvdogs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally experienced this in the recent past - was on mepron, zith and mino.

It seems that the mepron and the mino cancelled each other out - it seemed to work both ways. It is a long story of how I realized it, but it was through trial and error until I went off the mino and then the mepron started to work.

A short while later, I was informed by somebody on this group that the tetras can reduce the effectiveness of mepron by about 40%, as you said.

Now my babs treatment is starting to work - now that I am off the mino.

The mepron also cancelled out the dizziness side effects of the mino - and when I went off the mepron while still on the mino, the dizziness got so bad and turned into seizurey activity.

Now, maybe this is a side effect of the mino, or maybe the mino then started to cause a herx because it only became effective when I went off the mepron.

I told my LLMD that I thought they were cancelling each other out and he thought it was interesting. I then gave him the info on the tetras counteracting the mepron.

Good post and important info!

Posts: 588 | From Rhode Island | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement