LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Energy Production & Sleep (endocrine problems?)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Energy Production & Sleep (endocrine problems?)
smadavid
Member # 14830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smadavid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My body seems to have difficulty regulating energy production and sleep, which apparently is pretty common in Lyme. Basically, my body is always in one of two modes:

1) Awake and full of energy, but this is an exhausted, irritable, "on edge" kind of energy. It feels like I'm running on adrenaline instead of the natural energy that comes from being well rested. Any sort of excitement can trigger this. It doesn't matter how small or insignificant it is (for example: watching a competitive game on television, having a discussion about something I'm passionate about). I'm unable to sleep when I'm in this state.

2) Extremely tired and sleepy, being able to sleep all hours of the day, having no motivation to be productive whatsoever. This is triggered when I have no ongoing stresses or anything particulary stimulating on my mind.

There is no middle ground between these two modes. Now if I could flip between them on a normal day/night cycle, then I'd be able to operate. But I tend to get stuck in one mode or another for days at a time. Its kind of like my body has lost the ability to control my hormones on a granular level. Any change lasts for days rather than hours, long after I've forgotten the incident that triggered it.

I'm thinking this is probably related to my endocrine system being messed up. My thyriod feels somewhat swollen, and I had an adrenal test come back showing low cortisol levels in the morning, and high levels in the afternoon (the exact opposite of what you should see).

Anyway, I'd be curious if any of you have a similar pattern. If this doesn't clear up once I've taken care of the Lyme, then maybe I should see an endocrinologist.

Until I get this figured out, maybe I just need to manage the situation -- plan on stressing for several days in order to be productive, and then crashing for several days to recover. Doesn't seem right to be reinforcing this behavior though!

Anyway thanks for listening and if anyone has any thoughts I'd love to hear it [Smile]

[ 08. May 2008, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: smadavid ]

Posts: 12 | From East Windsor, CT | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DoctorLuddite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13853

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DoctorLuddite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your adrenals are fried, tired and confused.They are either full on or off, rather than fluctuating with a daily rythm of gradual increase in stress hormone production coincident with waking and morning activity, then gradual afternoon and evening decline coincident with rest and sleep onset. The thyroid may be involved as well, given the swelling, but which is cause and which effect would require appropriate lab studies. An endocrinologist is a good idea to work this up, and sooner rather than later is better.
Posts: 442 | From Biddeford, ME | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shoney
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shoney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had something similar-my cortisol levels were really low in the am, and really high at night. It is one of the sighns of adrenal fatigue. I started taking adrenal support during the day, and Seriphos at night. At my 6 month retest, my adrenal are "almost" normal.
Posts: 561 | From eastcoast | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jamescase20
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GET ON A ADRENAL NATURAL DIET AND ADRENAL SUPPLIMENTS. There are sveral ...match sure it has licorice rppt in it. Also, EAT 8 smaller meals each W/good porteien (like fish or chic) AND a WHOLE grain EVERY TIME. NO SUGAR, honey only or stevea(better) low caf try. NO FAKE stuff, (IE pop) naturarl soda is good. (health foods soda_ and massive vitamins...get the blook adrenal fatiuge

Than if I EVER write a book READ IT DAME YOU!!!!==)

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smadavid
Member # 14830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smadavid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for the suggestions -- and its good to hear that others have experienced similar symptoms. I started taking Licorice Root a while back and it definitely helps with energy. Also, large doses of magnesium at night seem to help me get a deeper sleep. I have my first appointment with the LLMD next week, so I'll see what she thinks as well.
Posts: 12 | From East Windsor, CT | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement