LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Flagyl Questions - Dose / Experiences?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Flagyl Questions - Dose / Experiences?
MBB3
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MBB3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Everyone [Smile]

I will soon start treatment for Lyme and possible Bartonella (mostly neuro sx's).

My doctor has prescribed Flagyl at 1500 MG daily...Is anyone else taking this much along with IV Rocephin (4 on/3 off)?

I've read where Flagyl can cause neuropathy and that is currently my worst symptom caused by either Lyme and/or Bartonella. I am very concerned about making the neuropathy worse? Realize Flagyl is a cyst-buster and is probably very necessary, just want a heads up in terms of side effects and improvements too!

I trust my doctor but also would enjoy hearing from those taking the drugs...

Take Care, MBB3 [group hug]

Posts: 247 | From The Country | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grown men weighing 300 lbs can be knocked flat with one 250mg pill of flagyl.

No way I would begin with that much... but then I'm chicken!!

It took me several weeks to work my way up to 1000mg per day.

Do watch for the neuropathy. Call your dr if it gets bad.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MBB3
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13459

Icon 12 posted      Profile for MBB3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lymetoo [Smile]

Thanks for your comments...what do you mean by 'knocked flat' with on 250MG pill? Sounds frightening?

I'll need to ask the Dr. about all of this, thanks for the thoughts

Take Care, MBB3

Posts: 247 | From The Country | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flagyl can cause you to get Real Depressed-
and think wacky crazy things --

1500 mg aday is a Hi dose to start treatment
maybe start with 250 aday and work up -

Its a good idea to have someone keep a eye
on you too - Jay --

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started flagyl at 250 once a week to prevent c.diff.

Then pulsed it with doxy. Flagyl at 250mg for Fri, Sat, Sun.

Next week it was 500mg.

Third week it was 750mg.

The Extended Release flagyl is more expensive, but to me definitely worth it.

One pill vs. 3 pills a day.

Plus flagyl gave me insomnia if taken anytime after noon.

I had the worst, stabbing headaches initially with flagyl.

1500mg would have probably done me in if I had started on that.

Are you pulsing it?

My suggestion would be to go slowly on ramping up.

I learned this the hard way. [shake]

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atheana
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atheana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Mbb3,
Are you going to Dr.C in Tampa? I am on the same regimen.
IV Rogephin-4 days on 3 day off
two weeks in add Flagyl 1000mg,for 14 days
Zithromax 5th wk IV.
I only started flagyl today so I will let you know how I feel.
Lots of sweating and overwhelmed by anything.
Atheana

urso for gallbladder.

Posts: 196 | From from a far | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bernieb4
Member # 14654

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bernieb4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got terrible diarrhea/upset stomach from 500mg Flagyl the first few times I took it.
Posts: 98 | From WI | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when i had c. difficile, my gastro gave me 1,000 per day of flagyl. At about the 3rd or 4th day, I had a migraine from hell that lasted for a couple of days, then i felt wonderful.

I felt the best I had in years!!!! I know it was a large dose, and I'm only 5 foot 3 about 190, but man, it worked!!!!

I was only on it for two weeks tho, and he wouldn't give me anymore.

RATS!!!!!

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InADaze
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for InADaze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be VERY good with your pro-biotics on Flagyl. I had terrible GI problems when I forgot mine. But, there are great benefits to the drug.

Also, watch for changes in sensation in your hands & feet and definitely tell your doc if they are new. Flagyl can do that to some people, but usually goes away after stopping.

Good luck with your treatment.

Posts: 168 | From Delaware | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement