LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Mixing up words a lot.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mixing up words a lot.
dontlikeliver
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wondering if I'm normal, even among us Lymies! [Smile]

In the last couple of months I have been mixing up words, A LOT. I either end up replacing the first part of a couple of words with the beginning of the next word...for instance, talking about my neighbors Fred and Barbara, I would repeatedly say "Bred and Farbara" or about another couple of friends, Doug and Nick and call them "Noug and *ick".......sometimes I will jumble entire words around like today, talking to my husband about the credit card bill, I said "the credit bill card came today".......

Is this normal? I seem to get phases of this, but this is the longest and worst one ever that I can remember. I feel very stupid sometimes talking to people because I feel I am really visibly struggling to get the words out right, and even then I don't always.

Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, that's normal. Sometimes I couldn't get the words out at all, it was like they were stuck in my head .... or like I was speaking a foreign language that I was learning.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This happens almost daily for me. [dizzy]

Very frustrating as I am a Speech Pathologist.

My neighbor caught me saying air conditioner instead of hair conditioner last night.

She asked me what that is called (knowing I am a ST).

I told her that was a phonemic paraphasia (almost sounds the same except sounds mixed up).

I also have semantic paraphasias (using a different word from same category like window for door).

I also can't remember words too. [shake]

Hang in there. I actually had to laugh last night about it although due to my profession,

Really want to cry about it at times. [Frown]

I am determined to get past this neurological symptom so that I can return

To my profession.......one day. [Smile]

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi dontlikeliver,

Problems with speech has been one of my biggest symptoms. There were times I thought I was making up my own little language. I still have some bad days with mixing up words and getting the words out, but my speech is so much better today that ever before.

I could not say *th* sounds for the longest time instead of saying bathing suit I would say bading suit. I would stutter and sometimes slur my words that is almost completely gone for me now.

Hang in there..

Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cjnelson
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12928

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cjnelson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
big one here too - HATE it!!!!!

--------------------
Seeking renewed health & vitality.
---------------------------------
Do not take anything I say as medical advice - I am NOT a dr!

Posts: 830 | From TN | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi DL

Yep it is common mix to words -

I have a feeling that Babs worse it makes also -

When I am tired or feel bad it worse the gets -

It dose get better - Jay -

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on a very restrictive diet lately and feel that some yeast was cleared that I didn't know was there.

My head is clearer too! Is your diet good?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onthemend
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onthemend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep. And sometimes also use an idea in the ballpark - but not exactly correct - like, 'pond' for swimming pool. OR, just dead wrong. Plus, difficulty word finding, spelling, speaking.

All of this much improved with many months of treatment, but it still rears its ugly head from time to time. Ironic, as I consider myself a poet and a writer!

otm

Posts: 314 | From east coast | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phew. Glad I'm not alone....I'm doing all those things you've all mentioned (apart from not being able to say "th" sounds) although sometimems I say stuff that sounds very weird. LOL

DLL

Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
backintherain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for backintherain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes these speech problems are bizarre. Even when I am otherwise feeling fine, I'm still saying weird things.

Other people seem to think I'm doing this on purpose. Although it's somewhat scary to not have control, I'm glad I'm still laughing about it instead of crying. [Smile]

--------------------
09/29/07: bitten
since
05/01: omnicef+biaxin+plaquenil 350
cats claw + knotwood thruout.

Posts: 227 | From Northern CA (bitten in Illinois) | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoSublyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoSublyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This happens to me all the time, at least several times a day. My kids think it is hysterical (and, I have to admit, so do I.) You would not believe the things that have come out of my mouth!

The speech problem that bothers me most is just the complete inability to come up with the word I need to finish a sentence. I get this painful look on my face that I'm sure makes people really uncomfortable.

My close friends are used to it by now, but it is a little embarrassing when it happens with people I don't know very well. Fortunately, I do have the ability to laugh at myself and that's what keeps me semi-sane.

Posts: 345 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, this is one of hubby's main problems also. Uses the wrong words for things...or just can't get the words out at all.

So frustrating!

Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me, it's usually the wrong word. I said oatmeal for meatloaf the other day at a potluck at church! [lol] So embarrassing!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes my wrong words are totally the wrong category and the wrong sound ... and I don't even realize I'm doing it till I'm laughed at!

Usually it's just within the same category though, but the wrong word.

I don't do it often anymore, but I always find it funny when I do. I'm a blonde with six kids ... no one expects me to sound smart, LOL.

Ironically enough, this has nothing to do with intelligence .... my sister actually accused me of doing it on purpose so people would think I was stupid. [lol] That was pre-diagnosis.

Does anyone else have trouble with "sayings", like "water under the bridge", etc. I've NEVER been able to get those right.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peck
Member # 14526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hilarious.
I can't begin to recount all the things I've messed up.

Well, it's only funny when I've actually slept, otherwise keep me off the ledge. [Smile]

--------------------
simplify....

Posts: 96 | From Rhode Island | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YEESSSSSS! I have this all the time and some days so much worse than others.

I switch around words like that all the time. Sometimes it's hilarious (to me and others) and sometimes it's just really aggravating to me.

Today was a bad day of this for me. Earlier, I was trying to say the remote (control), but I was like, "the TV, no the radio, no the computer, no.... ahhhh!!!" [bonk]

And then sometimes when I talk I do what you do and switch around first letters of each word... and all dyslexic like.

Then there was the one day I was at the park with my husband and we were talking about stuff and I was talking to him and I said purple out of nowhere when I didn't mean to say that at all. But then my husband tells me to look back and a lady that had walked by was wearing purple pants. At the time she walked by I didn't notice it, but I guess my brain registered it without me knowing and it ended up coming out in my sentence. It was very strange.

But yes, stuff like this happens to me a lot. It can be really funny and/or it can be really annoying.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alv
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is very common with lyme .

I laugh at it now.

I used to be mad but not anymore .

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anneke
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anneke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The language stuff and the memory issues are really freaking me out these days!!!! I am scared at this point at the thought of getting WORSE.

i have noticed that it improves when I take an antifungal. So fungal stuff has to be a big part of it.

I hate it when my brain just feels like disconnected mush. I feel dopey, and feel sometimes like it takes too much energy to get my mind alert and my attention directed somewhere.

I think it's time to do brain exercise, the ones that seniors are doing to keep their memories intact.

I wish I had the willpower to cut out the bad foods entirely, because I know this would help!

Posts: 364 | From California | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Piegirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Piegirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I been having this symptom more often lately. A while back I called a window and windshild twice in the same day. I just couldn't get it right.

I also switch words in sentances around, change letters in words, slurr words.

My newest thing is that I can have a mental picture of the object that I'm trying to say and I'm able to describe it, but have no idea what it is called.

This is a very scary symptom for me and sometimes it causes me to start having panic attacks. I'm working on staying calm when this happens and just wait it out which can take a while.

Mary

Posts: 161 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Piegirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Piegirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm having troubles just typing "a window a windshild". I keep doing this too with my typing. It comes out all wrong!

Mary

Posts: 161 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peck
Member # 14526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have any of you had the neuropsych testing?

I did recently, long and frustrating.

I find that I stop myself from adding to a conversation for fear of what might come out. I recently went on a field trip with my daughters class. I was of no use. So I made jokes and attempted to sing. Although I can't remember the words to anything.
I used to sing and get paid for it. No more, unless it's a medley!!! hahaha

It's taken me so long to write this.....

time for sleep.

--------------------
simplify....

Posts: 96 | From Rhode Island | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A LOT !!!!
Posts: 983 | From The sky | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njlymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
peck - can you tell me about the neurophsych test....llmd recommended it ..... a wee bit scared.....i guess i really don't want to know how bad it is

can this help me get my iv from insurance?

--------------------
This is NOT medical advice - and should NOT be used to replace your MD's advice. Info is only the opinion of those who publish the site.

The shortest way to do many things is to do only one thing at a time.

cb

Posts: 669 | From somewherebetweentherocks | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InADaze
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for InADaze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just did neuropsych testing last week. They did have me pronounce a long list of words. I don't really have trouble with pronunciation, but more with word swaps.

I never really stopped to check if they were even remotely related to the word I was trying to say. I'll have to try that. [Cool]

I believe in neuropsych testing. It clearly shows the cognitive impact of your disease. I am going to use my results to support my Social Security application when their vocational expert tries to say I'm physically able to work, since I expect them to discount my fatigue.

I was terribly afraid before my appointment that it wouldn't show anything. But, even though I haven't even gotten the results, I know it's going to show some deficits.

I definitely failed at timed reasoning. The tester even remarked on it. I got all the questions right, took about 5-20 times longer than it should have.

If you have any questions about the testing, feel free to PM me while it's fresh in my mind.

Posts: 168 | From Delaware | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, me too.

you folks see some of this daily on here from me.

example, the other day i was referring to tincup's post since she ORIGINATED it, but all i could think of ... she was the INSTAGATor of it. [lol]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larkspur
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5131

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larkspur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm - I am also a Speech Language Pathologist like Geneal [Smile]

I don't mix words up so much as not process double meanings sometimes....

For example, someone said they were open (to an idea) today and I thought they were talking about owning a store that was open (which made absolutely no sense to me, but it didn't occur to me I was focused on the wrong meaning)

--------------------
"We must be willing to get rid of
the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us" - e.m. forster

Posts: 921 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hcconn22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5263

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hcconn22   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes all of the above-- Plus stopping in the middle of a sentence or thought.

Oh yea I forgot what I was saying.

Next

--------------------
Positive 10 bands WB IGG & IGM
+ Babesia + Bartonolla and NOW RMSF 3/5/09 all at Quest

And still positive ELISA and WB two years after IV treatment
http://www.lymefriends.org/profile/blake

Posts: 607 | From Tick Town, Connecticut | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiserforit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiserforit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For years I've been referring to elevators as umbrellas.

Go figure.

Sometimes the mix-ups are so ridiculous that you can laugh. Other times, it gets scary.

Laughing is better.

Best,

wiserforit

Posts: 508 | From Banks of the Hudson | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LuLuFlorida
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LuLuFlorida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When this first happened it was very scary for me. I know talk and have to correct myself constantly. This is one of my least favorite symtoms and I really hope it goes away sometime!

Oh ya, I sometimes say bad words by mistake because they rythym with what i meant to say, talk about embarassing.

[ 29. May 2008, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: LuLuFlorida ]

--------------------
"One day at a time"

Current:
-1.2 IM bicillin three times a week
-1.25 IV Vancomycin every day
-IV glutathione and IM B12
-Byron White since Jan. 2011
-ALA, Yasko protocal, Adapten-All, thyrosol, Pekano, phosphalipid exchange, probiotics, oregano...

Posts: 390 | From FLORIDA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amk33
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amk33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup! I agree with the person who said that they were afraid to add to a conversation, because of these problems.

Many times, I start to speak and completely lose the word that I am looking for. It is embarrassing. I also mix up the sounds as well (fuzzy bunny becomes buzzy funny). I also used to be a great speller. Not anymore!

Posts: 418 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement