LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » NEWS TONITE and WASHINGTON POST

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NEWS TONITE and WASHINGTON POST
daystar1952
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daystar1952     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello....I was asked to pass this announcement on. I have no idea what the shows and article will be like but if they are good we need to thank those involved (contacts below). Here is the message
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

There is going to be a story in the Washington Post tomorrow -- in the health section.

Tonight 2 local stations are doing stories and a radio station. You can watch on-line live or later go and see their story on the web. .

The radio station is WTOPnews..... you can click listen live and hear it on-line. http://www.wtopnews.com/

Here are people the Lyme community should email and ask them to do more stories... tell everyone to thank them for doing stories and ask them to dig deeper.
Kate Ryan (reporter doing story ) [email protected] Editor -- [email protected]
Also News Director Michael, McMearty [email protected]

The TV stations are NBC-4 http://www.nbc4.com/index.html
Channel 4 -- email Lauren Dunn - Reporter [email protected]
News Director Frank Caskin [email protected]
Anchor Doreen Gentzler ---- [email protected]

The other TV station is ABC-7. You can watch show live on-line at http://www.wjla.com/

Here are the people you should contact afterwards to thank and encourage them to do more stories:
Holly Shannon (Executive Producer ) [email protected] Bill Lord (News Director) [email protected]

Posts: 1176 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Times for these programs?
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daystar1952
Member # 3255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daystar1952     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not sure about the times but usually I'm told the 5 oclock news. Oftenit comes on in the second half hour but I watch from 5 just in case....and if not at 5 then it should be 6. I think it is going to have something to do with Under Our Skin
Posts: 1176 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daystar1952
Member # 3255

WJLA and NBC 4 in Washington both had a segment on the lyme controversey and actually mentioned that Under Our Skin was playing locally and where you could go to see it. We need to thank them. The contacts are listed above. I haven't tried to find the radio clip yet but will do so soon.
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it's posted in ACTIVISM

I COPIED POST THERE!

click on my profile; go to RECENT posts,

and look for activism post there; copy the DIRECT LINK THERE, and please copy to this post ... the entire story so folks can read, and i copied TWO COMMENTS also!!!

thx xox

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smjkoj
Member # 15241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smjkoj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the link and text from the NBC 4 report:

http://www.nbc4.com/health/16622566/detail.html

health
E-Mail News Alerts

Get breaking news, daily headlines and more.
Lyme Disease Film Sheds Light On Debate
Medical Community Divided Over Lyme Treatment

POSTED: 4:14 pm EDT June 16, 2008
UPDATED: 4:44 pm EDT June 16, 2008

SPRINGFIELD, Va. -- The number of Lyme disease cases in the Washington region has more than doubled in recent years. That's because local health departments have been paying more attention. But there's a community of people both locally and throughout the country that say these statistics are way off. They could be much higher. Now a new documentary premiering this week in Silver Spring is shedding light on what some are calling a silent epidemic.

The faces of Lyme disease are men, women, old and young. They're all infected by the tick-borne illness and they're a part of new film documenting what they say is an emerging epidemic, larger than AIDS, that's going undiagnosed because too many doctors aren't properly diagnosing and treating the disease.

"The last words my daughter spoke to me, her last words to us .. mommy, they're going to kill me. And they did," said Springfield mother, Tricia Platas.

Platas lost her 9-year-old daughter Amber from what she believed were complications due to Lyme. Amber was never officially diagnosed with the disease. Instead Platas said doctors argued over a diagnosis, while her daughter got sicker.

"Amber had lost about 40 pounds," Platas said. "Her skin, she had a rash all over her. She couldn't walk barely. We had to put her in a stroller to get to the doctor's office."

Since her daughter's death, Platas and two of her three sons have been diagnosed with Lyme. Her third son has started showing symptoms. It's unclear whether Platas passed the bacteria onto her children during pregnancy or if they were bitten by ticks.

"The doctors are all fighting against each other, instead of with each other and the problem becomes who can treat it and what's the diagnosis and how to find it for other people who don't know that they have it."

Platas is one of dozens of people in the documentary, which paints this picture of a divided medical community. On one side, doctors who believe Lyme is easily treatable with two weeks of antibiotics. That's what the treatment guidelines specify, so that's what health insurance covers. The other side is people like Platas, who say Lyme can be a chronic condition, requiring months of medications and treatment. But because that's not in the guidelines, it can cost thousands. Platas has spent $100,000 dollars treating her family.

Platas hopes the film will shed light on the issue, and prevent others from the same fate as her daughter.

"When enough people start to get sick and die, then people seem to listen and things change," Platas said.

The Connecticut attorney general has filed suit to get the treatment guidelines changed. "Under Our Skin" premiers Tuesday at the Silverdocs film festival in Silver Spring.

More Information:

Under Our Skin

Silverdocs Film Festival

CDC Information: Lyme Disease

Here's the link and text from the ABC WJLA report:

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0608/528820.html

Lyme Disease Documentary Causing Controversy posted 5:57 pm Mon June 16, 2008 - tags: lyme * disease

related stories:
Lyme Disease Cases Rising in Maryland
Lyme Disease Guidelines Being Assessed
Stay on top of breaking news! Sign up for ABC 7 News e-mail alerts.
Your Email: A new documentary is stirring up controversy in the medical world as it's focus hits on Lyme disease.

The film "Under Our Skin" was a finalist at the Tribeca Film Festival and since it's premiere, it's both raised awareness and has found itself at the center of controversy.

The film is both raw and emotional as it sums up several decades of controversy. On one side doctors are deeply at odds over how to treat Lyme disease.

"They don't have any evidence of ever having had Lyme disease once," said one doctor in the film.

Then there are the patients who in profound pain, some with intense neurological effects, desperate for answers.

Filmmaker Andy Abrahams Wilson set out to tell the untold story of Lyme disease and found people are listening. "As difficult as it is and as shocking as it is, it also offers some hope."

That hope, he says, is for the people suffering from the tick borne illness, many of whom are unable to get proper treatment because of two opposing viewpoints in the medical community.

Doctors like Ken Singleton believes there is such a thing as chronic Lyme disease which can only be properly treated with long term antibiotics. "The controversy is primarily around the fact that some people don't recognize the situation we call chronic Lyme," he said.

Then there are doctors like Paul Auwaerter who believe not only should Lyme disease not be treated aggressively, but that chronic Lyme disease doesn't exist in the first place. "An aftermath of the infection I think is part of the current debate. Many of us, I personally, think it's not an active infection anymore, but really an aftermath."

The debate is riddled with emotion and politics. In the middle, women like Mandy Hughes who is profiled in the film. Like Wilson, she hopes any amount of publicity will help.

"People are dying from this disease. And it's from a lack of awareness," said Hughes.

"The story really is that people are suffering. And they need help," said Wilson.

The film will be running at the Silverdocs Film Festival in Silver Spring, Maryland starting Tuesday.

Posts: 26 | From Virginia | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daise
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aha! Finally ... very good press and from sources that pack a punch!

daise [Smile]

daystar1952
Member # 3255

This is from someone in the media . I have not been able to watch the segments but will write and encourgare them to do more and we should also send our stories
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Check out the Washington Post. There are a bunch of stories there -- some good some bad..... Also Channel's 9 and 5 in WashingtonD.C. did something today -- live on-set so I doubt you will be able to watch but you could get the word out.

-- thank them and encourage them to dig deeper..... tell them your stories...

Fox 5 - Washington D.C. Fox station -- News Director - Phil Metlin email: [email protected] Also Assistant News Director Rena Popp [email protected]

WUSA - Washington D.C. CBS station -- News Director - Michael Ward - [email protected] Also Assistant News Director Catherine Snyder - [email protected]

EMAIL THEM... THANKS AND PLEASE DO MORE.

tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Always great to hear when these news segments are out there. Felt the one with the video that you posted smjkoj was very good. Thanks for the heads up Daystar.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up for us to write THANK YOU, ETS. for good news coverage...

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement