LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » call me stupid, but I do not get this

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: call me stupid, but I do not get this
jenin98
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenin98     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if you go to an optomologist, and he checks every aspect of your eye, the nerbe, retina, etc...
ans sees everything normal, then how the heck can you have all these vision problems? where is the place that is causing the vision problems if not in the eye itself? can it ever be fixed?
jenin

Posts: 455 | From Maryland | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roro
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
try a neuro-opthamologist. things like cranial nerve palsy, optic nerve, etc are the nerves and not the eye itself.
Posts: 615 | From maryland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

RoRo has a good point. Not everything that happens with vision is actually in the eye itself.

Aslo - DRY EYES can cause many problems. So, be sure your eyes are lubricated enough.

If needed, it would be great to see a neuro-opthamologist who is also LL. (if there are any out there).

Not everything is lyme, and they do look at what is there. However, if something is connected to lyme, a LL doctor will have more expertise.

Even for those who don't have an LLMD, a call to the closest LLMD office might gather some referrals.

the local support groups, too, may have a list of names to share . . . or the groups in surrounding areas. The area HIV/AIDS support groups also have names of good doctors that look beyond, so to speak.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The inflammatory cytokines can damage the nerves.

Their level is just too high.

They (TNF alpha and IL 1 B) are trying to control insulin levels (cortisol increases glucose) but all of our cells need some glucose....including nerve cells. Our brain cells, in a jam, can use ketones as a substitute.

DCCT Study Findings
Intensive blood glucose control reduces risk of

eye disease
76% reduced risk

kidney disease
50% reduced risk

nerve disease
60% reduced risk

EDIC Study Findings
Intensive blood glucose control reduces risk of

any cardiovascular disease event
42% reduced risk

nonfatal heart attack, stroke, or death from cardiovascular causes
57% reduced risk

It is insulin SPIKES that causes the problems. Think: complex carbs and low glycemic index foods.

This also gets into acetylcholine release which looks to trigger REM...rapid eye MOVEMENT...which starts when the

eye nerves send a signal to the muscles of the eyes.

ROS...too many free radicals...triggered to activate tyrosine kinase (which Bb is inhibiting)...alone can do damage.

Free radicals. High or too low glucose levels. Acetylcholine levels...and more are playing a part in the very complex eye problems that happen in lyme.

Add NO...nitric oxide into the equation. This normally dilates vessels to bring oxygen and nutrients to the cells, but

Bb ties it up. There is a protein in one of Bb's cell walls that binds to (cytochrome C+NO).

Infected cells don't die. IF and when cytochrome C is RELEASED, the cells die.

This is controlled by an enzyme called PKCD.

Bb has a PKC (D) inhibitor, it sure looks like.

The far infrared discusssions are about activating the enzyme that "oxidizes" cytochrome C...and helping to break the Bb's grab.

Information overload, right?

I know. VERY complex.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem is inflammation throughout the nervous system, especially in the brain. Inflammation can easily be overlooked. Also neurotoxin produced by bacterium, can cause further symptoms.

These are simple answers to a very complex problem.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenin98
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenin98     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
once the inflammation is reduced or the bacteria is eradicated, the symptoms disappear? no damage done, you think?
Jenin

Posts: 455 | From Maryland | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mazou
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mazou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just had my appointment with my neuropsychologist yesterday, and he said that LD can cause a different kind of issue with the eyes. The problem is with the visual processing, not the eyesight itself. He referred me to a clinic where they deal with the vision problems of brain-injured people.

I have about 20/40 vision, so I see fine, I just can't put together what I'm seeing. Like, if I get to a red light, I have no idea what to do. I mean I do, if I really think about it, I can figure it out. It's just, something is missing there.

Wishing you luck! mazou

Posts: 636 | From Saratoga County, NY | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ldfighter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ldfighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes a behavioral optometrist can pick up things up that a neuro-ophthalmologist might not find.
Posts: 621 | From US | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

the " . . .Like, if I get to a red light, I have no idea what to do. .. . ."

that has little to do with the eyes. It's the cognitive processing, toxin-laden body, infection state.

When I could still drive, I'd see the light but not know which color meant which. When I did realize the red meant stop, I forgot how to make my car stop - or get my hands and feet to move to do what I needed to do. I had to THINK how to move each body part at a time.

Many lyme patients have the same trouble at the stop lights. So, it's green . . . uh . . .?

Anyone with a bad flu has trouble like that, too. Just short term and not as bad. But, it does show that the illness affects functioning on many levels.

-

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement