LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Caffeine Could Stave Off Multiple Sclerosis (auto-immune disease) !!!!CAFFEINE!!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Caffeine Could Stave Off Multiple Sclerosis (auto-immune disease) !!!!CAFFEINE!!!!
AliG
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9734

Icon 2 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Caffeine Could Stave Off Multiple Sclerosis

Finding may help scientists develop drug to treat autoimmune disease, researcher says
Posted June 30, 2008

By Kathleen Doheny
HealthDay Reporter

MONDAY, June 30 (HealthDay News) -- Caffeine just might prevent multiple sclerosis, a new animal study suggests.

Giving mice the equivalent of 6 to 8 cups of coffee a day prevented mice from getting the animal model equivalent of MS, said Dr. Linda Thompson, of the Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation, and a member of the team reporting the finding in this week's issue of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Multiple sclerosis, an autoimmune disease, affects about 400,000 Americans, according to the National Multiple Sclerosis Society.

The T-cells from the body's immune system attack the myelin, the fatty sheath that normally protects the nerve fibers in the central nervous system.

This, in turn, produces scar tissue and triggers the symptoms of MS, which can include numbness, weakness, lack of muscle coordination and problems with bladder control, speech and vision.

Here's why the coffee warded off MS, Thompson explained: It prevented the molecule adenosine, one of the four building blocks of DNA, from binding to the adenosine receptor at the cellular level.

When adenosine cannot bind to receptors at the cellular level, this in turn prevents T-cells from reaching the central nervous system and setting off the events that lead to the animal version of MS.

"From a scientific point of view, the bottom line is, adenosine in this mouse model is needed for the disease-causing T-cells to get into the central nervous system," Thompson said. "That was the big, unexpected finding."

The discovery shows how important the adenosine molecule is in allowing immune cells to infiltrate the central nervous system.

In the animals, the T-cells were activated, but they couldn't get into the central nervous system, because the caffeine was bound to the adenosine receptors.

Dr. John Richert, executive vice president of research and clinical programs for the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, said the new finding is "potentially big news many years down the road."

But he cautioned that the research is in the early stages, and the whole process needs to be studied in humans.

Thompson agreed.

"First, we have to learn if adenosine plays the same role in people," she said. "In humans, it is not known if adenosine regulates the entry of T-cells into the central nervous system."

If the same findings bear out in humans, she said, the hope is to develop a drug that would degrade adenosine, prevent it from being formed, or prevent T-cells from getting into the central nervous system.

She noted that the discovery holds promise for other autoimmune diseases, including lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.

The challenge, she said, is that adenosine receptors "are everywhere in the body." So, the drug would have to be specific enough to only act on the adenosine receptors that control access of the T-cells to the central nervous system.

Even so, Richert said, "it's a potential therapeutic target that needs to be explored."

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A combo. of caffeine, theophylline and pentoxifylline...

Alkaline phosphatase.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If caffeine prevents T-cells from getting into CNS, would that also allow Bb to remain at large in there?

[confused]

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrotek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5354

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wrotek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Here's why the coffee warded off MS, Thompson explained: It prevented the molecule adenosine, one of the four building blocks of DNA, from binding to the adenosine receptor at the cellular level.
Well first, it is not adenosine, it is adenine which builds DNA. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adenine

Second, immune cells enter the CNS to destroy pathogens. If they cause too much damage, a person can have a lesions. But if they cannot infiltrate there, they cannot perform their actions and clean up CNS.

Posts: 636 | From Wroclaw, Poland | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Caffeine enhances acetylcholine release.

Which is why it helps us to wake up and be ready to face the day.

Bb can NOT breakdown acetylcholine, but we can and do.

Make it...break it down...make it...break it down.

The level of acetylcholine is directly related to "intelligence", but in reality...it is the # of working RECEPTORS that matter.

We MAKE more receptors as we learn.

Years ago...a Canadian doctor recommended injecting lidocaine under the tick before removing it. This will block the acetylcholine receptors and keep acetylcholine levels high longer.

Bb needs us to breakdown acetylcholine 'cause it needs an "acetyl" group and choline.

As I understand.

Adenosine : a purine nucleoside composed of *adenine* linked by its N9 nitrogen to the C1 carbon of ribose. It is a component of ribonucleic acid (RNA) and its nucleotides...

RNA differs from DNA in only one way. RNA has an extra oxygen molecule. It must lose that oxygen to transcribe DNA to our "offspring". RNA-> DNA.

This is why some people benefit from D-ribose as a supp.

It is a 5 carbon sugar, not 6.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrotek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5354

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wrotek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is interesting though. I would like to ask the MS people how many of them drink caffeinated beverages and how many not. I have a feeling more of them drink it.
Posts: 636 | From Wroclaw, Poland | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
re:

Giving mice the equivalent of 6 to 8 cups of coffee a day prevented mice from getting the animal model equivalent of MS

The mice also stayed up all night watching movies on cable TV... LOL

This is good news. I also have been reading studies about Green Tea. There are some very good studies about many benefits.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrotek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5354

LOLOLOL 6-8 cups of coffee for small mice :] Maybe they were trying to create a Hyper Mice or super mice.
Marnie
Member # 773

The *equivalent* of 6-8 cups based on their body weight compared to ours.

6-8 cups given to mice would likely kill them...

All that running to the bathroom.

Karol
Member # 15831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was dx with MS in 2005 and drink coffee by the bucket!!! [Big Grin]

Who really knows for sure what causes MS or for that matter what may cure it??? [confused] [confused]
I was just un diagnosed because now they think Lupus or MCTD???

Whatever... [puke]

--------------------
Hope your having a great day!

Karol

Posts: 72 | From The arm pit of the world. | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have an opinion as to whether caffeine is bad for us?

Even in small amounts (1 cup of coffee daily), can it overtax the adrenals?

I am paranoid about causing my adrenals to excrete things they aren't ready or wanting to excrete (corisol or whatever) by drinking caffeine.

Sometimes even a little makes me feel wired, and I think, "is this good?"

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrotek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5354

U think so Marnie, that can be.

Karol how much coffee did u drink ?

I also wonder with this kind of studies whether they give mice solely caffeine or coffee extract.
They often seem to forget to stress this out.
coffee is like 1000 chemicals.

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point about caffeine vs coffee -

re: Caffeine just might prevent multiple sclerosis, a new animal study suggests.

Giving mice the equivalent of 6 to 8 cups of coffee a day prevented mice from getting the animal model equivalent of MS...

---

It seems to infer that they gave the mice caffeine in the amount equivalent of 6-8 cups for a person.

I don't think the mice were actually drinking frappichinos...

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement